SG's Presence at EVO 2013

guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
So we didn't win the 8th spot. What now?

I say we try to run a side tournament if we don't hear anything. As for a pot, I was thinking of just doing something similar to what we had to do for the donation drive, but set up an account so that we can put money into it little by little. Maybe Salty Cupcake's entry fees could go toward that? I don't know, can't come up with anything right now.

I have no idea how EVO side tournaments go, or where we would do it. But no reason why we can't throw out ideas already, I suppose.
Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!

Comments

• EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the prize is the clippings of Mike Z's hair?
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    How about the prize is the clippings of Mike Z's hair?
    Convert all the MvC2 players by offering curly mustaches.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • 5th Of Dismember5th Of Dismember Joined: Posts: 27
    are their still spots for side tournaments if so mike z should get a kickstarter going id donate
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,941 ✭✭
    Tx for making this topic guitalex.

Yes we should definitely be looking to make something at evo... Im going to evo and im only planning on entering into the sg side tournament... Sg has ruined all other fighters for me.

The biggest reason why i replied to this though is look at how much money we were able to come up with in less than a month.
    If we start an "sg tournament, prize winnings and donation fund"... Well then might we be able to come up with 2-3 k or more by the time evo rolls on through... And if we can we may be able to finance top players to want to eventually take up our game (or not) simply cause of the cash pot that is going to be available.

(Not to mention the amount of competitive spirit and hype that a high prize pot would guarantee)

Maybe we cant make that much by this years evo... But what about next years evo if we start a year from the event? We might realistically be able to come up with 50 k and that would DEFINITELY draw the crowds.

Anyways it was just a thought i was having from the crazy good success of the bcrf drive... Perhaps we could learn something from that and it will actually be positive for the sg community.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    if not evo the lets just setup a tourney just for skull girls
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 424
    Tx for making this topic guitalex.

Yes we should definitely be looking to make something at evo... Im going to evo and im only planning on entering into the sg side tournament... Sg has ruined all other fighters for me.

The biggest reason why i replied to this though is look at how much money we were able to come up with in less than a month.
    If we start an "sg tournament, prize winnings and donation fund"... Well then might we be able to come up with 2-3 k or more by the time evo rolls on through... And if we can we may be able to finance top players to want to eventually take up our game (or not) simply cause of the cash pot that is going to be available.

(Not to mention the amount of competitive spirit and hype that a high prize pot would guarantee)

Maybe we cant make that much by this years evo... But what about next years evo if we start a year from the event? We might realistically be able to come up with 50 k and that would DEFINITELY draw the crowds.

Anyways it was just a thought i was having from the crazy good success of the bcrf drive... Perhaps we could learn something from that and it will actually be positive for the sg community.

Just FYI, when I was posting donation totals on Smashboards a few weeks ago I mentioned the possibility of Smash players contributing to the pot of a Skullgirls tournament if they won (which they did) as a goodwill gesture and some of the people there said that it sounded like a cool idea. So if you do run a prize fund for this year's EVO you might get a small boost from there.

It's probably better to wait a month or so before actually asking for money, though, so that people's bank accounts have time to recover.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki
  • MyLifeIsAnRPGMyLifeIsAnRPG The Cerebella Ninja Joined: Posts: 1,073
    BTW at my new tournament series in NJ (shameless self promotion) I'm attempting to run Skullgirls like Marvel I.E. 3/5 matches in normals and 4/7 in finals rather than 2/3, 3/5. As a VS style game it may be a better thing to do. Just putting it on the table for all future tournaments.
    BTW at my new tournament series in NJ (shameless self promotion) I'm attempting to run Skullgirls like Marvel I.E. 3/5 matches in normals and 4/7 in finals rather than 2/3, 3/5. As a VS style game it may be a better thing to do. Just putting it on the table for all future tournaments.
    Probably showing my ignorance, but what is the perceived benefit of 3/5 over 2/3? Is it just that the more skilled player is more likely to win (because it's harder to fluke 3 wins off of a better opponent than it would be to win 2), or is there another reason?
  • PizzarinoPizzarino Pikachu gave his life for science Joined: Posts: 420
    I'm sure there will be a well-endowed SG side tournament at Evo.

Something you can do now is if you are in striking distance of UFGT9 or CEO, or if you normally wouldn't go to those events, go and enter SG! Make the SG tournament bigger with more entrants higher levels of competition and more hype. It's the opprotunity we all paid for in the donation drive and SG will become bigger at Evo if we take advantage of it while we can.
    SRK Skullgirls Wiki: Do it for the children
    Probably showing my ignorance, but what is the perceived benefit of 3/5 over 2/3? Is it just that the more skilled player is more likely to win (because it's harder to fluke 3 wins off of a better opponent than it would be to win 2), or is there another reason?

Match quickness actually. Marvel matches are very very fast, over after a few simple touches. Three matches give you enough time to read your opponent, get used to them, and adapt.

Skullgirls matches are not as fast as Marvel matches, but are still fast compared to every other game out there. I worry about 3/5 when it comes do 1v1 scenarios with multiple rounds, but every other setup seems as if we want a 3/5 tournament structure more. That's why I'm testing it out.
    Skullgirls matches are not as fast as Marvel matches, but are still fast compared to every other game out there. I worry about 3/5 when it comes do 1v1 scenarios with multiple rounds, but every other setup seems as if we want a 3/5 tournament structure more. That's why I'm testing it out.
    In that case, couldn't you have a rule that requires a 3/5 unless the first two matches were 1-on-1, in which case it becomes 2/3? It's a bit more complicated but that could solve any time issues.
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Match quickness actually. Marvel matches are very very fast, over after a few simple touches. Three matches give you enough time to read your opponent, get used to them, and adapt.

SG isn't at the ridiculous level of mvc3, where the wonky ass hit-boxes and completely ineffective damage restraints ensure that a few hits and like 2-3 guesses results in the end of a match. Running normal matches as 2/3 should be fine and avoid rule changes for different ratios. Start with 2/3 and if the majority of players request a 3/5 after a few weeks, switch over to that.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    3/5 is always better than 2/3. Just like 4/7 will always be better than the former, a FT10 will be even better, etc
    One should always go for the higher amount of rounds, as long as it doesn't interfere with a preset schedule.
    Time constraints are really the only reason not to run longer sets, and even in 1v1 I think SG matches are over pretty fast (compared to KoF/SF4/etc)
    Why.
  • BlandaidBlandaid Joined: Posts: 56
    I don't suppose SG could have the first evo side tourny with online entrants? :(
  • Eternal DarknessEternal Darkness Fightan Gaems Joined: Posts: 175
    I just hope there is a proper stream this time around. Seeing as the closest I can get to EVO is watching streams.
    Patch Patch Patch
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    I don't want to start another thread for this, so I'm gonna talk about it here.

If SG can get into CEO, what about FR?
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023

The difference with Marvel is the stupid ridiculous hitboxes, but as I recall Marvel 2 matches went about as fast as Skullgirls matches go. Was Marvel 2 made 3/5 and 4/7 because of match quickness? Don't think so.

Skullgirls doesn't have many "random" things, which is the real complaint for Marvel 3 being 3/5 (not the match quickness). Match quickness has nothing to do with it, really. Guess the reset right and the match won't last 2 minutes. This as opposed to "get hit once by some move that doesn't even look like it's going to hit and die as a result of one combo into a DHC/THC into another combo or possibly an infinite and die anyways" that is Marvel 3.

I do find it somewhat ironic that Skullgirls was too slow for some people before, and now that the game is a miserable 3% faster matches have to go 3/5 because it's too fast lol
  • keninblackkeninblack Joined: Posts: 3,471
    Honestly for tournaments the game should stay 2/3, no random factor, in most if not all cases the better player wins from a set. Plus most tournaments put us in last minute, we should be thankful we got the chance and not over stay our welcome.

Winners, Losers, and Grand need to be 3/5 though.
    if we were to setup our own separate skull girls tourney what would we call it. the skull heart tpournament ?
    Well, I'm gonna try to run SG 3/5 anyway. There is something profoundly irksome about "Marvel is poorly designed so Marvel players get more playtime." That just seems like you are rewarding a game for bad design. I'm gonna run SG at 3/5 on week one, see if people enjoy it, and if they do, I'll keep it running that way. If not, I'll reduce it.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Midwest Decepticon Joined: Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • RemiKzRemiKz Joined: Posts: 107
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    I like it!!
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • BrandXBrandX Spark for the future Joined: Posts: 677
    Holy Robo Fortune, I am just astounded by how much SG's is suddenly getting. UFGT9, CEO2013, and now they even want to support the side tournament at evo!?

Good shit.
    |||PSN: KingdomKeyGX|||
    Plays: Skullgirls
    Wants to help bring SkullGirls back!~ Uses a solo character: Fillia
    YouTube Channel: PhantomMinaX1
  • KristophKristoph sing my lullaby Joined: Posts: 427
    Well. Here's hoping we run the biggest, baddest fucking side tournament Evo has ever seen. What were our numbers last year?
  • keninblackkeninblack Joined: Posts: 3,471
    It broke 100 but I can't remember the exact number.

I'm fucking in there though, top 1 or best mothafuckaaaas
  • BrandXBrandX Spark for the future Joined: Posts: 677
    Well I can honestly say, My road to Evo begins now....

I'm so happy <3

(Of course I was still going to have a road to evo anyway)
    |||PSN: KingdomKeyGX|||
    Plays: Skullgirls
    Wants to help bring SkullGirls back!~ Uses a solo character: Fillia
    YouTube Channel: PhantomMinaX1
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Skullgirls doesn't need 3/5 but if you do it, 3/5 the whole way through. 4/7 will take like near 20 minutes ignoring a bracket reset.

And no to different rules for solo vs solo. Solo vs Solo has rounds but 1 game of 2 Solos is close to the same time used as 1 game of other team size combos because of the way health works. Solo vs Solo might be shorter because of the lack of red life recovery.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Oh look, SG Evo tourney getting that $1k pot bonus anyway. :o

gogogogo!
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • d3vd3v The Grumpy Machine. Joined: Posts: 25,597 mod
  • Mike_ZMike_Z Defender of the Night Joined: Posts: 2,165
    A) I'm starting a thread for it right now. This ain't it.
    [link]

B) If people want to kick in for the pot, that's up to them but I'll accept it. :^)
    I had the world's oldest signature so I replaced it with this.
  • Vigilante 8Vigilante 8 All the way from Ryu de Janeiro. Joined: Posts: 21
    A) I'm starting a thread for it right now. This ain't it.
    [link will be here]

B) If people want to kick in for the pot, that's up to them but I'll accept it. :^)

I'm from Brazil and I can't go to EVO this year, but I want to support the side-tournament with any kind of pot bonus donation or stream subscriber feature.
  • BillyBonesBillyBones Joined: Posts: 53
    While getting $1000 extra for the pot is nice, I wonder how much nicer it would be if people could do like what was done with the donation drive and donate to the pot as well.

Pot bonuses are good for getting top players hungry about the game and get more attention, so bigger is always better. We also might think about using part of the proceeds of a donation drive for exclusive giveaways for participants (buttons, shirts, key chains, or something) to induce people on the fence to enter and swell the numbers which would in turn increase the pot.

Also, anyone within striking distance of evo don't forget that the most useful thing you can contribute to a tournament is your presence and enthusiasm. Spending the weekend leveling up, meeting people, going 0-2, and screaming you head off in an egret costume provides a service to the community that no monetary donation can match.
    Pot bonuses are good for getting top players hungry about the game and get more attention, so bigger is always better. We also might think about using part of the proceeds of a donation drive for exclusive giveaways for participants (buttons, shirts, key chains, or something) to induce people on the fence to enter and swell the numbers which would in turn increase the pot.
    This got me thinking. Pot bonuses are really only a way of drawing top (or middling but very competitive) players that might not otherwise attend. But Skullgirls isn't trying to attract international superstars to their tournament right now - instead we just want more players in the tournament to begin with. (EDIT: That's not to say that the tournament is struggling to get a viable number of players, just that the goal is different)

So why not have a separate small prize (say $50-$100) for the top-placing new player (i.e. hasn't entered any previous tournament offering the new-player prize). If a new Skullgirls player is considering entering a tournament, they won't be expecting to wipe Mike Z and co. off of the top spot, so it doesn't matter to them if the first prize is ten dollars or ten million. But if the new player only has to do better than the other new players then they might want to give it a shot, especially if they're already good at a different game and want to try SG out.

It'd take a bit of organizing to get it started, but I think it could work.
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=735&filename=13gnx.jpg&xsize=480&ysize=480
    Last year Evo turnout was pretty impressive. This year can be even bigger.
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    Yo even when we lose we win.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
    there are not that many manestream fighting game tournaments at all on the east . we need to set some up ,cali has two one on top one on the bottom .
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    3/5 is always better than 2/3. Just like 4/7 will always be better than the former, a FT10 will be even better, etc
    3/5 makes the black man sad :(

But in anycase, lower sets and higher sets have their unique benefits.

In real battles you dont get a bunch of chances. You have an initial game plan, maybe a back up plan or two, and you adapt as quickly as possible to the enemy or you lose.

Longer battles are more like full on wars. In wars you have to strategize against not only the overall strategy of an enemy army(player), but also against the more personalized strategies of all that army's generals(teams and substrategies)

In life we have both small skirmishes and full on wars, so I dont have much problem with best 2/3 or 4/7. I view it like this: the enemies we face while trying to make it to the top are just the smaller battles we face, but that last battle is like a full on war where you used the amassed experience and emotions from previous battles and throw them at your final and most formidable enemy; as such I actually like that most battles are 2/3 and that the finals are 3/5.

4/7 is pushing it though...

Also, sorry if that made little sense....I'm tired -_-
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
    there are not that many manestream fighting game tournaments at all on the east . we need to set some up ,cali has too for one on top one on the bottom .
    Winter Brawl
    Final Round
    ECT
    CEO
    Civil War
    NEC
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    im going to make a thread about making a tournament for the east coast since i have never set up a tournament or event im going to need help and a president ,
    we are obvioulsy going to needa kickstarter to afford some of the things .
    Winter Brawl
    Final Round
    ECT
    CEO
    Civil War
    NEC
    forget what i said . its sad that skull girls isnt that big in any of these

edit nvm one of these have skull girls
    forget what i said . its sad that skull girls isnt that big in any of these

edit nvm one of these have skull girls
    It isn't big because the community isn't big.

Other than the added to CEO's roster, Duckie is trying to get us something at Final Round and KeninBlack is trying to see if Civil War or Winter Brawl can run something (even though Winter Brawl is in a couple of weeks so that might just be small side tourney).

NEC is past, Skullgirls @ ECT had a good showing last year.

If the MidWest isn't too far, there's UFGT9 in Chicago w/ Skullgirls.

Check the events thread stickied at the top and the Skullgirls 2013 tournament season thread.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭
    While getting $1000 extra for the pot is nice, I wonder how much nicer it would be if people could do like what was done with the donation drive and donate to the pot as well.

shit i would be down for that. if it gets more people interested then so be it.

im only gonna win it anyway so its no bigs for me :D
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    I think there was an international tournament, down in the Caribbean or something like that, that's been interested in giving Skullgirls some space.
    I think there was an international tournament, down in the Caribbean or something like that, that's been interested in giving Skullgirls some space.
    That would be VXG, which as far as I can tell will have Skullgirls as a main game.
    It's in St. Martin.
    That would be VXG, which as far as I can tell will have Skullgirls as a main game.
    It's in St. Martin.
    Is it confirmed?
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Is it confirmed?
    Can't find any official word at the moment so no.
  • .42..42. Joined: Posts: 208
    The question about VxG is: Is there a local SG player base? There is no point of players from this forum flying in if there is no local competition. Besides the sun, beach and bikinis.
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    Why is this thread still active? Having two threads to talk about the same topic seems redundant.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/evo2013-side-tournament-1000-pot-bonus-lets-goooo.175468/
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com