What's the current status of Skullgirls on 360?

SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Seeking new challengesJoined: Posts: 378
Did I buy this game on the wrong platform?

Last I heard the Slightly Different Edition patch was still "in approval" on Xbox 360. Now Squigly is starting to be finalized, which probably means more clog on the 360 front once she's finished.

I know MS is pretty mean about getting content approved for Xbox LIVE Marketplace but I never thought they'd be this hard to work with.
Chicks dig guys who know their frame data...

Comments

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I buy this game on the wrong platform?
    Yes. Also, Squigly is far from being finalized.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 11,824 mod
    Moved to the correct forum. :tup:
    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    There's been many delays on both platforms, but unfortunately especially the 360. There finally looks to be some traction being made on that front with a new patch format being made for the 360. Give it some more time and it should be an even playing field on both platforms.

And yes, Squigly is faaaaar from being finalized. What you saw revealed on the stream was literally the progress they'd made on Squigs before the team was let go from Reverge months ago. MikeZ just cobbled it together into a vaguely presentable form as a special present.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Seeking new challenges Joined: Posts: 378
    Moved to the correct forum. :tup:
    I thought this was the "strategy zone". This isn't really focused discussion, it's just casual chat.
  • djunuudjunuu NADIA BUSINESS Joined: Posts: 60
    Regardless, I've seen 15+ new and unique players to Skullgirls in the past few days alone; all the donation drive business and Evo support has brought people in. There have also been people playing who I haven't seen in months. All in all, the Xbox scene is returning. Once the patch drops, I'm sure things will really pick up speed.
    Alright, alright...Squigly's "getting there".

More work has been done since they haven't been working on the game at all, we'll say that.
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    Considering they just announced it for Japan, something has to be coming.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • QohelethQoheleth Absolute Beginner Joined: Posts: 45
    Here's my impression of the 360 patch's status, based on Salty Cupcakes comments in the past couple weeks:
    1. They've figured out a way around Microsoft's size limitation and have resubmitted the patch for review.
    2. Konami's lawyers have advised Mike to not make public comments about patch progress going forward.
    So yeah. Could be anywhere from two weeks to four months at this point.
    Twenty years from now, fifty, a hundred, nobody will remember what games we played, or who won or lost.
    But that's okay.
    Ain't nothing under the sun that lives forever.
    HebelHebelim on Twitch and PSN
  • ubertranceubertrance Joined: Posts: 65
    Now you get to wait like me for the 360 patch :3
    SSF4AEv.2012: Akuma, Sakura, and others (only a bit)/3s: Akuma, Chun-Li, Q
    UMvC3: Ryu, Sentinel, Vergil (some others too)
    TTT2: Jun, Asuka, Alisa (only a bit)/SFxT: Xiaoyu/Akuma for now/KoF13: Kula, Mature, King
    Skullgirls: TBD if Xbox ever gets the patch but right now, Filia, Ms. Fortune, Painwheel
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    I'm resurrecting this thread to point out I feel like anyone who is on the 360 version should feel some apprehension towards contributing to Skullgirls' DLC development because of this issue.
  • DRaGZDRaGZ Joined: Posts: 72
    Apparently, if the patch does not get through to the 360 by the time Squigly is done, the update on the 360 that brings Squigly will also have the previous update. So it'll all be up to date by then.

It's really a shame that the 360 patching system is being so nebulous about it, though.
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    I'm resurrecting this thread to point out I feel like anyone who is on the 360 version should feel some apprehension towards contributing to Skullgirls' DLC development because of this issue.
    U dunno. If anything they should want to contribute.  More dlc means more money for Microsoft. Money tends to make problems go away when thrown in the right direction. And we all know hoe much M$ loves money.
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭
    im only on 360 and ive made a contribution to the cause. im thinking of adding more too later on. i really hope were gonna get the patch before squigly is released though that wait is too long. i have a real bad feeling that is what is gonna happen though. please somebody prove me wrong.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • BuffaloBuffalo The Totally Fab Bison Joined: Posts: 138
    im only on 360 and ive made a contribution to the cause. im thinking of adding more too later on. i really hope were gonna get the patch before squigly is released though that wait is too long. i have a real bad feeling that is what is gonna happen though. please somebody prove me wrong.
    Are you me? Anyway, I play on 360, donated, gonna give more later, and I'm really pulling for it to be released before she is. However, if that doesn't happen, I've got faith Mike will find away for us to get dat glorious patch.
    If you come at me on some disrespectful shit and you're within arm's reach, anyone can get slapped.

SG - Filia/Parasoul | TTT2 - Jun/Ling | MK9 - Sonya, Jade, Kitana
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Buffalo said:
    Are you me? Anyway, I play on 360, donated, gonna give more later, and I'm really pulling for it to be released before she is. However, if that doesn't happen, I've got faith Mike will find away for us to get dat glorious patch.
    From what I understand it's guaranteed that we'll get the patch at the very least when Squigly is released. Squigly won't even work without it in the first place. Also, MS treats DLC different than just straight up patches, and games use DLC to get patches in fairly often from what I understand.
    My worst fear is that Squigly gets held up along with the patch.

But like I said, I'm sure Mike'll find a way.
    If you come at me on some disrespectful shit and you're within arm's reach, anyone can get slapped.

• Rodbow15Rodbow15 Joined: Posts: 8
    Last I heard it was "Fuck You" said Microsoft.
    Rodbow15 said:
    Last I heard it was "Fuck You" said Microsoft.
    Mike's own words were "Yes we heard from Microsoft, no they said keep waiting."

So yea, a big ol' fornicate thou.

• Rodbow15Rodbow15 Joined: Posts: 8
    Well, honestly, Skullgirls on console is dead. I hate to say it but it is. Unless you add people via SRK you won't be playing anyone online. I'm hoping the steam release can revitalize the series to a new high. Maybe it'll be like Melty Blood. I actually thought a Steam release would've been better to begin with. I mean, EVERYONE has a computer. I think if they would've released via Steam first this game would be more successful. 
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    Well the PS3 version is supposed to be cross-compatible with PC right?

But yeah, I think the game will do pretty well on steam, assuming it's well optimized.
    Rodbow15 said:
    Well, honestly, Skullgirls on console is dead. I hate to say it but it is. Unless you add people via SRK you won't be playing anyone online. I'm hoping the steam release can revitalize the series to a new high. Maybe it'll be like Melty Blood. I actually thought a Steam release would've been better to begin with. I mean, EVERYONE has a computer. I think if they would've released via Steam first this game would be more successful. 
    not every computer can run steam though. my laptop barely runs anything unless its 10+ years old.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodbow15 wrote: »
    The thing about generalization is that its normally wrong . MOST people have a computer. SOME of those can actually handle games. Consoles are greater in number than fully capable gaming rigs.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    I never trust the PC platform to bring interested fighting game players to my doorstep. People just don't see it as a place where players of that particular genre congregate.
  • SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 206
    People said the same thing about fps on consoles, then goldeneye and halo happened...
    Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    Saikyou wrote: »
    People said the same thing about fps on consoles, then goldeneye and halo happened...

All it takes is the right game
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • j13901j13901 PSN: CrossRhythm Joined: Posts: 422
    So...back on topic: Ravi has mentioned on the neogaf threads that the xbox patch is now in a testing phase and it sounds like lab zero has created a patch that is acceptable to M$.

Quote:

It's one of the reasons 360 games tend to not get more than one or two patches.
    The first one is free, but we had to burn it on an update that MS demanded that no one would have encountered.

In the very first version, if you had a non-standard controller plugged in like a flight stick or a guitar, when you started Skullgirls you couldn't get past one of the OS menus until you unplugged it. This was a must-fix TRC issue, and we were forced to comply even though we didn't expect anyone would ever encounter it.

...Meanwhile, we have people reporting load times of up to 6 minutes on Xbox 360. That's also a TRC issue, but we can't get that patch free.

And, yeah, the patch will end up costing more. That's just the submission cost to Microsoft. We still need to do more testing, and it took a lot of effort to get the patch into a state they would accept, too.

Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=515786&page=21
    Patron Saint of Skullgirls
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten Nights Will Return. Joined: Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I am, patchless. Just as my ability to do combos in this game is actuaaly kinda sorta starting to pick up too.

Oh well, that's life.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    3DS: 1048-9697-8273
    Pokemon, Pokemon TCG, PanZ Dragon Ball Z CCG, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • GirugaMarcGirugaMarc Joined: Posts: 350
    The third mystery character is gonna come out before we get the patch #Kappa
  • venusandevevenusandeve Joined: Posts: 172
    edited March 2013
    Nope, at the very worst, you get the 3rd character delayed because it needs the patch to run.
    Post edited by venusandeve on
    "If i can't love, then i will surely hate. either way, thrashing you remains an option"
  • KawalornKawalorn Joined: Posts: 70
    Actually worst case scenario is "patch comes with Squigly".
    Yeah, but even squigs needs to get through certification, that's what I meant.
    "If i can't love, then i will surely hate. either way, thrashing you remains an option"
  • JohnnySmashJohnnySmash Joined: Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Though the latest news is that they figured out how to get around the patch size problem, I seriously doubt they will release the patch until all well after all three new characters have been released. Why? XBox lets developers apply one free patch to their game, then after that each patch costs $40,000. Seriously, google it. A bug in Fez couldn't be fixed because of this, and Awesomenauts hasn't had any new characters added since their first patch because of this (while the PC Steam version has been continuously updated many times with new characters.)

So their options are either pay $40,000 or wait a year or whatever until the new characters have been released and everything is stable and balanced, then release everything in one giant huge patch. Sure they might be able to use the crowdfunded money for this, but I didn't notice anything about that in the campaign, and with how long the game has been unpatched it seems like arbitrarily wasting $40k to get the 360 patched before the new characters is unlikely.
    Post edited by JohnnySmash on
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Though the latest news is that they figured out how to get around the patch size problem, I seriously doubt they will release the patch until all well after all three new characters have been released. Why? XBox lets developers apply one free patch to their game, then after that each patch costs $40,000. Seriously, google it. A bug in Fez couldn't be fixed because of this, and Awesomenauts hasn't had any new characters added since their first patch because of this (while the PC Steam version has been continuously updated many times with new characters.)

So their options are either pay $40,000 or wait a year or whatever until the new characters have been released and everything is stable and balanced, then release everything in one giant huge patch. Sure they might be able to use the crowdfunded money for this, but I didn't notice anything about that in the campaign, and with how long the game has been unpatched it seems like arbitrarily wasting $40k to get the 360 patched before the new characters is unlikely.

Mike Z has been working on yet another version of the Xbox patch for about a week. He says they if it continues to be held up he will try to release in the same files as Squigly when she is released this summer(hopefully) because the patch is required for her to be played on either system.

Also I'm sure you just made a typo, but there will be 5 DLC characters not 3 lol
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • Hood57Hood57 Joined: Posts: 61
    XBox lets developers apply one free patch to their game, then after that each patch costs $40,000. Seriously, google it. A bug in Fez couldn't be fixed because of this, and Awesomenauts hasn't had any new characters added since their first patch because of this (while the PC Steam version has been continuously updated many times with new characters.)

Yeah, I hope Phil Fish chokes on his own bullshit. It's not that it couldn't be fixed, it's that Phil Fish couldn't be bothered to pay for it. Despite the game selling 100,000s of copies and the cash money awards he got from indie game contests, he's basically said, most people won't run into the bug that borks all your progress and save data, so F those who do, I still get paid. I can understand pointing out M$s BS and complaining about it, but then at the end of the day you bite the bullet and release the patch (like LZ is doing, even though there isn't a game breaking glitch) because you want to get/keep fans.

Apparently, the value of goodwill vs. cash money in my pocket is no contest for Mr. Fi$h.

In the case of Awesomenauts they've been trying to talk their publisher into paying for the patch costs of new characters but word on the street is that it hasn't been going well as new purchases are almost exclusively happening on steam so the publisher isn't seeing the value vs. cost.

• Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,938 ✭✭
    Well, if that 40k submission fee is true, then i cant see lz paying 200 k just to submit 5 new characters... That would be stupid, especially for a company as financially strapped as lz is... Though i do remember hearing that submitting new characters for download isnt comsidered as a patch by ms, so the characters can make it in... But that may be bullshit.

All i i know is that ms treatment of the sg team, the sg game, sg's fans, and these archaic patching policies, means that i wont be buying that new xbox. Fuck that. Ms can eat a dick.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Exactly. Their policies are just unnecessary, they're predatory and I can't support that.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    well, yeah, they pretty much made sure that I'm not buying another Xbox with 2 things: they're predatory MS first stance and the whole always online BS.
    Yeah the whole skullgirls fiasco makes the Sony social media sharing machine sound pretty good. Also Venus you got xbox? I'd be down for getting embarrassed on SG later.

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • thatmegamegathatmegamega Joined: Posts: 7
    I noticed this in the FAQ:
    DLC colors on both consoles are waiting for the release of the XBox patch, because of Microsoft's rule that you cannot put paid content out on the XBox if it came out on the PS3 first. These DLC colors do not work with the non-patched version of the game.
    I don't know why Microsoft would be mishandling Skullgirls like this, it's losing them revenue on DLC and annoying fans.
    Is it worth contacting them?
  • elb0ng0elb0ng0 DrGrym reporting. Joined: Posts: 145
    Well Microsoft really seems to hate gaming as it is.
    Sounds like McOrthism to me.
  • GirugaMarcGirugaMarc Joined: Posts: 350
    the status of SG? From which perspective, Mike Z's, MS' or the customers?

In any case: Abandoned.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53630895&postcount=2034
  • thatmegamegathatmegamega Joined: Posts: 7
    edited April 2013
    If the patch was submitted on the 4th then we should expect it to drop on 360 in the next 48 hours max.
    That being said I don't think I'm going to waste my energy by getting excited
    Post edited by thatmegamega on
  • Aftermath1349Aftermath1349 God's Drippy Crevice Joined: Posts: 211
    I think you misread the date on that post. That was posted on the 12th and the patch hadn't passed submission yet.
    3S: Oro, Q, Dudley
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Double
    oh god i hope this is true. although id still enter for evo 2013, it would be nice to have the updated game to practice on instead of setting off IPS every 2 mins.
  • Motch420Motch420 Joined: Posts: 41
    I say by end of April we will have it, the only set back is if it gets denied but lab zero is saying that in good faith it will get approve then ill believe them
    the status of SG? From which perspective, Mike Z's, MS' or the customers?

In any case: Abandoned.

Why do you have to make me sad...?
    Mike confirmed on salty cupcakes tonight that Konami fucked up with the patch and it had to be submitted AGAIN. Which means another 2-3 weeks if, and only IF, it doesn't get sent back again.

To make ourselves feel better, we should assume that the xbox patch will not come out until after skullheart relaunches, because nobody knows when that will be either. There isnt any false hope that way :'(

• ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 175
    At least Microsoft rejected the patch outright as opposed to leaving Lab Zero in suspended animation again. Is a resubmission going to cost another $40K?