Hori Real Arcade Pro AX S+G

LiQuiD[EViL]LiQuiD[EViL] .Joined: Posts: 117
edited February 2013 in Tech Talk

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks real petty like. I want it more for the Astro City layout than for anything else.
    I can always swap parts and art on the top place, swaping the layout on the top plate is another thing all together.
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal Little Princess Joined: Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying this stick. It's the most official dodopanchi saidaioujou stick we'll ever get. I mean come on, honeycomb pattern.
    Glad to see RG buttons being back in the fold.
    Darksakul said:

That looks real petty like. I want it more for the Astro City layout than for anything else.
    I can always swap parts and art on the top place, swaping the layout on the top plate is another thing all together.

HORI's DOA5 stick is similar (Astro layout), and significantly more affordable (here in the US at least). Which is what I should just do, I have some OBSN-30RG's, and I have LS-32's lying around haha.
    HIBACHIFINAL'S INFAMOUS ARCADE STICK TIER LIST ~ SEIMITSU RADICAL やっぱり四角ガイドは、素晴らしい。 Once you go (OBSF-30)RG, Everything else is shit.
  • W00P MstR FresHW00P MstR FresH Making stuff is fun Joined: Posts: 793 ✭✭
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,954
    Man, as much as I love the fact that they are going back to the Astro layout, I'm really peeved that they're STILL not bothering to center their layouts. The green A (Light Kick in SF notation) button should be just a smidge to the right of the center bolts, not all that way to the left. For comparison, look at the Virtua Stick High Grade which has a perfectly centered layout:

Still, I'm really glad they're still using that Soulcalibur V body. That's probably my favorite modern generation stick case yet. Also I hope they plan to change their stock image when it gets closer to the release. Unless Seimitsu suddenly up and changed their dust washer design and made shaft covers for their LS-32 line, that's a Sanwa stick. :P

Man, as much as I love the fact that they are going back to the Astro layout, I'm really peeved that they're STILL not bothering to center their layouts.

because 8-button :(

and oh, would be cool though if Hori did indeed put the extra effort to make LS-32 shaftcovers... but yeah I doubt that lol.
    HIBACHIFINAL'S INFAMOUS ARCADE STICK TIER LIST ~ SEIMITSU RADICAL やっぱり四角ガイドは、素晴らしい。 Once you go (OBSF-30)RG, Everything else is shit.
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,954
    edited February 2013

because 8-button :(

and oh, would be cool though if Hori did indeed put the extra effort to make LS-32 shaftcovers... but yeah I doubt that lol.

If this were the older Real Arcade Pro sticks (2, 3, and EX specifically), I'd agree that it would be because 8-button, but this? Nah, this is just them being lazy like they were with the Dead or Alive 5 stick and not bothering to move the joystick mount at all. I really can't understand why not, considering that to make the Astro layout work on the DoA5 and this stick, they had to have removed the plastic strip that was separating the buttons and joystick on the original Soulcalibur V stick, but I guess welding a mounting bracket to a different spot is more costly than moving where the button holes get punched out of the metal. =/
    Post edited by Ikagi-chan on
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭

I'm buying this stick. It's the most official dodopanchi saidaioujou stick we'll ever get. I mean come on, honeycomb pattern.
    Glad to see RG buttons being back in the fold.

Darksakul said:

HORI's DOA5 stick is similar (Astro layout), and significantly more affordable (here in the US at least). Which is what I should just do, I have some OBSN-30RG's, and I have LS-32's lying around haha.

Oh, this joystick is definitely NOT worth it then if it's the same layout as the SC V, DOA 5, joysticks.
    Those older releases are still very available in the US along with the TT2 release very often with nice reduced prices for the newer stick releases.

It's too expensive to import Japanese exclusive joysticks now, IMHO. It's at least $50 shipping (airmail) on top of whatever the third party seller wants.
    I've only ever done that with the HRAP 3 SE and I still have somewhat of a buyer's remorse on that one.

It's definitely cheaper just to buy the domestic releases, remove and sell the OEM parts (JLF, 30mm and 24mm Sanwa buttons), and retrofit on your own.
    It's rarer now for domestic importers to get exclusive JP stick releases in-stock now. It was common before the end of 2009 but has become much rarer since then.
    I expected the Hori HRAP VLX Diamond to be carried by a vendor because it was the biggest exclusive release of the past year (and the previous VLX proved to be a hit) but don't expect the Seimitsu edition or "anime art" joysticks to be carried in the US again. In the past, some of the exclusives have taken an uncomfortable time to sell out and quite a few have ended up selling at reduced prices online, too. (Speaking specifically of the Arcana Heart 2 joystick which appears to have not been a great seller in retrospect... Seems like there was a bit of over-ordering and over-production there.)

If you're going to end up removing the original artwork at any rate, it's silly to pay an extra $100 for this joystick!
    Much cheaper to buy the Seimitsu and other specialized parts on your own and refit yourself.

Those of who prefer Seimitsu levers end up doing this on practically every joystick release we get anyways...

• jaquiojaquio Joined: Posts: 207
    Dunno about second pic but the lever in the first one is not LS-32.
    You're right, jaquio.

Looks like a Sanwa JLF.

Seimitsu LS-32's don't have shaft covers and that joystick obviously has a shaft cover AND Sanwa-style dust cover.

Sharp eyes!

Only thing I can figure is that Hori possibly mocked up an existing joystick to show what the Pro AX could look like and that this is NOT an actual production joystick or even prototype/pre-production joystick. That would make sense to me. Considering that these companies generally only change the artwork and part colors between new production releases...
  • BlankBlank Mash Attack Joined: Posts: 69
    Reminds me too much of the DOA5 and TTT2 Hori sticks. Not that I'm saying they're bad but it seems they're just repeating the case designs and adding different buttons/artwork
  • therobintherobin I AM THE ROBIN Joined: Posts: 415
    At least they are doing better than mad catz to bring something differnet to the market.

This is actaully a better atempt to differ from previous sticks than ever (Other than the all original fighting edge). I know people who have commented they don't mind Seimitsu joysticks but dislike their buttons. This is a good atempt to apeal to different taste. Probably only annouced it in asia to test the waters. I must admit this is the only stick announced in a long time that interests me in any way.
  • The_ThirdThe_Third Poverty Gamer Joined: Posts: 985
    Hold up, Hori made a special shaft cover for LS-32?!
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    The_Third wrote: »
    Hold up, Hori made a special shaft cover for LS-32?!

Possible.. but I suspect these are just promo images which don't reflect the final product.

The joystick looks too much like a JLF & SK set to me..
  • eperelezeperelez VAS-HG FTW! Joined: Posts: 1,429
    RG's are amazing! The only other retail stick I know that ever used RG's was the Hori Real Arcade Pro Amazon.jp Special Addition that had Sanwa Vermillion RG's exclusively:
    http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/controller/realarc_pro_s_fix/index.html
    "Namco Stick Are #1 In The World, No Doubt There As I Meus King Of Namco Sticks Who Conquer 50 Of This Stick And Sold 40 To My Follow Srk Members And Has 10 in His Home.
    Namco Stick's Are For Live Baby."
    --meus
    HeatWare=eperelez http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=84368
  • fifty8mmfifty8mm now in 3 different flavas... Joined: Posts: 339
    eperelez said:
    RG's are amazing! The only other retail stick I know that ever used RG's was the Hori Real Arcade Pro Amazon.jp Special Addition that had Sanwa Vermillion RG's exclusively:
    http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/controller/realarc_pro_s_fix/index.html
    i did not know the buttons used in that stick were RGs..food for thought

• GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭
    Ikagi-chan said:
    Man, as much as I love the fact that they are going back to the Astro layout, I'm really peeved that they're STILL not bothering to center their layouts. The green A (Light Kick in SF notation) button should be just a smidge to the right of the center bolts, not all that way to the left. For comparison, look at the Virtua Stick High Grade which has a perfectly centered layout: 
    Yeah... If you were to play VF on this, your right hand would be more or less on the middle of the unit. Ironic since this layout is popular because of Sega cabs in the first place.

Anyone know if it's possible (preferably easy!) to replace the art on the DOA5 stick?
    This message will self-destruct.
  • Jelloman581Jelloman581 Joined: Posts: 87
    Funny, I asked the Hori rep at SCR2013 if they were coming out with a stick that didn't have game-specific art (SCV, DOA5). He said there's something coming out soon;  I guess this is it. I like that it almost matches the MadCatz EVO stick in design, but why-oh-why do the buttons overlap the design around the stick? The art needs some tweaking, or the butttons shifted to be more centered, as mentioned previously. I'm digging it otherwise, a possible addition to the collection!
  • inblueinblue Maidsports! Joined: Posts: 11
    Art looks pretty DoDonPachi-themed to me, which fits with the LS-32 and Xbox exclusivity, and Saidaioujou's due for a 360 release this spring.
    It's being released May 30th according to iplaywinner.

Bad news -- it's going to cost $192.  Ouch!

Inflation, indeed!
    Only 4 RG's?

Lol Hori, why are you so messed up?

gahrling said:
    Only 4 RG's?

Lol Hori, why are you so messed up?
    RG's dont come in black so probably just laziness... then again they are touting this for shooting game use, which commonly use 3 buttons at most.

and yeah price point is still ridiculously high :( gonna have to adopt this one at a later time.

edited March 2013
    But then why would they put RG's into something meant for shmups? It makes no sense. 

And if black RG's are not available then why not choose from a selection of colours that are?

Hori are their own worst enemy. I wish I could sit in on their meetings so I could see their logic in action.
    Post edited by gahrling on
    according to the article, its because they are comparable to PS-14-GX's.. but they are discontinued, so they used OBSF RG's.
    engage being lighter on PS-14-G/OBSF-30's wherein the plunger and rim don't even have to touch for the input to come out, which is prone to 'accidental input'.
  • tech7tech7 Joined: Posts: 119
    That is a nice looking stick with great parts already in it, but, man, I do not need a fourth 360 stick.

Also, isn't it using the Namco Noir button layout and not Astro City? Compare the images of the Hori stick to the VSHG from Ikagi-chan - the first column buttons. The angle is different with Astro City being more pronounced. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me due to the angles of picture of the Hori stick?

Customized HORI HRAP EX-SE (Seimitsu LS-40 with Sanwa buttons) - "Flyable Heart"
    Customized HORI Arcana Heart 2 (Seimitsu LS-56 with Sanwa buttons)
    Customized HORI Tekken 6 stick (Seimitsu LS-32 with Sanwa buttons) - "Hatsune Miku - Love is War"
    Customized HORI HRAP VX-SA (Seimitsu LS-58 with Seimitsu buttons) - "The iDOLM@STER"
    well, the button layout isn't exactly perfect, even on earlier HRAP's.. there might be minor measurement differences... but the distance of lever to buttons is what is mostly of concern here, Noir layout is further away, this seems to be more Astro that Noir just on that note.
  • jaquiojaquio Joined: Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    Btw it seems Hori has an accumulated Seimitsu stock, because i'm seeing a old LS-32-01 version placed on the new controller. That blue sub-gate tells everything. Seimitsu made slightly changes on both LS-32 gates last year and i'm pretty sure these very first pics above is showing the old one. Below is the comparison.

Old LS-32 subgate shape
    http://in2amusements.com.au/images/products/secondary/seimitsu ls-32 joystick-1.jpg

This is mine, i bought almost 1 year ago. Also this new version has a bright metal plate.
    http://s51.beta.photobucket.com/user/macgaren/media/Arcade/ls32subgate.jpg.html
    Post edited by jaquio on
    gahrling wrote: »
    But then why would they put RG's into something meant for shmups? It makes no sense. <br />
    And if black RG's are not available then why not choose from a selection of colours that are?<br />
    <br />
    Hori are their own worst enemy. I wish I could sit in on their meetings so I could see their logic in action.

Hey didn't someone figure out how to add RG switches to normal Sanwa buttons (and replace the microswitch in the switch assembly)
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • xenoannalsxenoannals Joined: Posts: 7
    Very instrested in this stuff...why don't they make all bottons white?
    xenoannals wrote: »
    Microsoft Licensing require the X, Y,B and A buttons to be their respective colors on all Microsoft approved Xbox 360 controllers.

• xenoannalsxenoannals Joined: Posts: 7
    Darksakul wrote: »
    xenoannals wrote: »
    Microsoft Licensing require the X, Y,B and A buttons to be their respective colors on all Microsoft approved Xbox 360 controllers.
    Then will you buy this stick if you are a shmup manic and have no sticks?
    I just wonder if it's worth buying
    Forgive my poor English~
    d3v wrote: »
    Wait, so does this mean that HRAP "A" is the model name for the SCV bodied HRAPs?

i'm guessing it refers to which layout these HRAP's have. One for the Astro layout "A" (DOA5 stick and this) while the Noir Layout ones (SCV/GUNDAM/TTT2) are referred to as "N", at least that's what the unbranded "N3-SA" is, also same if you see the usb device name, referring the SCV HRAP as "N3/NX".

• lolmarklolmark Joined: Posts: 201
    So, this stick is coming out at the end of the month and I'm super interested in getting this stick while the USD to Yen exchange is still solid. Are there any online shops selling to US customers?
    I wouldn't bother, Markman...

Some of them are the same guys who can't read the stickies and rules for posting art or starting new threads.
    It's beyond annoying that many people aren't willing to do at least basic research before shooting their mouth off... (Unfortunately, there seem to be more and more people signing up for SRK that are like that.)

I've noticed a lot of people who used to answer questions all the time from years past have dropped off the board as real life catches up or they get busy with work related to or not related to game hardware. (At least getting paid $$$ for this stuff counterbalances some of the rudeness and blatant stupidity online. That's gotta wear on them and is probably the reason why a lot of vendors have stopped responding a lot on threads.)

But yeah, low-ball figure is that Mad Catz has done at least 4-6 uniquely different case designs over 4 years.
    That's pretty good considering how much mileage Hori got out of two basic case designs! LOL What was it --- six to seven years for the HRAP astrobase used for the HRAP 1-3 lines and more squarish original FightStick case???

Of course, if you really want to get technical and include color variations, LE releases, and such, there have easily been over a dozen unique Mad Catz joystick releases. Not gonna bother to list those -- somebody else has already listed them in the stickies the complainers haven't bothered to read!

I honestly don't know why people like to get so bent out of shape... If people don't like the colors or parts so much, they are made to be modded so easily... Can't help other people with earning money to buy things but <yeesh> people just have to complain for the sake of complaining!
  • VOLDOMVOLDOM Joined: Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    I don't kow why, but I keep reading people saying that Sanwa RG's feel the same (or equal) to Seimitsu PSG's, that's far from the truth, RG's still feel like OBSC's but given the shape of the industrial switch (which is bigger) the plunger rests a few inches higher than on normal buttons, and that's it, Seimitsu buttons have a different feel and they are a bit more noisy than Sanwa's, and that's because the plunger is a bit taller in relation to the housing and always hits the bottom when pressed.

IMO, Hori should have installed Seimitsu buttons instead of that Sanwa RG/OSBC combination.
    Post edited by VOLDOM on
  • MnoMno 哈哈哈 Joined: Posts: 2,314
    Is this practically the same exact line of sticks they've released like the DoA/Tekken/SCV models, just with LS-32 and RGs?

Same PCB as all RAP(VX SA, VLX, etc.)?
    i hate video games.
    this product was cancelled.
    I wouldn't be surprised if more joysticks get cancelled between now and the release of the next-gen systems.

Hori has to be weighing production a bit now... There are still plenty of copies of last year's stick releases floating around.

Now is not a good time to be releasing a lot of new hardware product unless it's a recolored/rebranded version of something that's in low-stock and that they KNOW they can sell.

I have to wonder if the mix-match of components on the AX S+G controller didn't work against Hori as well as this being a 360 controller in the first place.

Hori doesn't plan 360 controllers like this for import.

All that nice stuff said, when IS Hori going to make an announcement about next-gen controllers?

You'd think they would want to do that soon seeing as Mad Catz -- their major world competitor -- already showed their prototypes and it's been about a year since Hori showed or released anything brand-new.
  • MnoMno 哈哈哈 Joined: Posts: 2,314
    this product was cancelled.

That's unfortunate.

I take it I can just buy one of the SCV/Tekken/DoA sticks and throw my parts in there to replicate it? I was just wondering if the supposed stick had anything really different going for it besides the LS-32 and RGs. Maybe heavier? I dunno.

i hate video games.
    GeorgeC wrote: »

I have to wonder if the mix-match of components on the AX S+G controller didn't work against Hori as well as this being a 360 controller in the first place.

Hori doesn't plan 360 controllers like this for import.

It's not that. HORI was quite looking forward to this stick, (famitsu web had a very amusing two page interview regarding the development of this stick), and it had been a while since they used these RG parts as well.

but as described in this page: http://www.hori.jp/products/xbox360/controller/realarc_pro_ax_stg/pre_index.html
    It describes HORI's method of when it comes to some products, it was a similar case for the also cancelled HRAP RS-1 Radiant Silvergun stick

horipopoilicy.PNG

maru - If during the preview Period, they meet pre-order expectations, the items will be produced and shipped.
    batsu - they will stop the pre-order if it doesn't meet expected pre-sale numbers

in this case, this stick, the AX S+G, did not meet enough interested and "pre-order" pledges to be produced, i don't have the exact figures as the main pre-order page with the counter has closed now.

I for one can say, I did place a pre-order myself, using a proxy service, but alas, i guess there really isn't a market for an STG stick, even in Japan.

who knows really why it wasn't as popular, maybe everyone just knows that replacing parts is a lot easier. (i personally just did that myself, RG buttons are the best, try it if you have the budget!)