Is MvC2 still alive?

ZygmunchZygmunch Joined: Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Marvel VS Capcom 2
Seeing as how since the forum "overhaul" did away with 90% of useful info on the subject I figured I might as well ask here.

So, is the Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 community still around? Meaning are there still tournaments and high level players still competing that haven't moved to UMvC3?
I know there's a rift in the community between these two games, but I just wanted to know if MvC2 was worth purchasing on PSN. I have the game for Dreamcast, but I have no idea if tournaments (if there are any) still use the DC with the PSN and XBL version out.

I'm fairly new to the FGC and I mostly just stick with AE and SFxT, but my best experiences with fighting games revolve around playing the MvC2 machine with my buddies when we were younger. I'd like to relive that in a small way by getting to know the community surrounding this game (again, if there even is one). 
Post edited by Preppy on
·

Comments

• NickRocksNickRocks MvC2 sucks Joined: Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    @Zygmunch said:
    Seeing as how since the forum "overhaul" did away with 90% of useful info on the subject I figured I might as well ask here.

So, is the Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 community still around? Meaning are there still tournaments and high level players still competing that haven't moved to UMvC3?
    I know there's a rift in the community between these two games, but I just wanted to know if MvC2 was worth purchasing on PSN. I have the game for Dreamcast, but I have no idea if tournaments (if there are any) still use the DC with the PSN and XBL version out.

I'm fairly new to the FGC and I mostly just stick with AE and SFxT, but my best experiences with fighting games revolve around playing the MvC2 machine with my buddies when we were younger. I'd like to relive that in a small way by getting to know the community surrounding this game (again, if there even is one). 
    In the mainstream way its as dead as can be. 

There's a pretty solid online scene for the game. Offline is pretty scarce but if you wanna post with other people playing the game join the facebook group where mostly everyone left still posts http://www.facebook.com/groups/marvelvscapcom2/ josh360 still plays on PSN and Xecutioner got a dreamcast and is coming to Final Round where there will be an MvC2 side tourney and money matches in hotel rooms (since Shin Blanka said no MMs in the tournament hall)

Post edited by NickRocks on
    Niggas get played this the ps4 house, spending dirty money at the 3rd world ho house
    Strip club love me cause I trick off stacks...then I rob the bitch, give my money back
    Pushin weight off, throwing it up; pills in her mouth, coke in her butt
    ·
  • ZygmunchZygmunch Joined: Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Thanks a lot for the info, man! 

I'll brush up and just may show at Final Round XVI...

Also, what console is preferable for tournament play? Do most people still just use the Dreamcast?

Post edited by Zygmunch on
    ·
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 11,955 mod
    There's a MvC2 subforum here you could check on this stuff in. :)
    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    ·
    Zygmunch said:
    Thanks a lot for the info, man! 

I'll brush up and just may show at Final Round XVI...

Also, what console is preferable for tournament play? Do most people still just use the Dreamcast?

general consensus seems to be DC>PSN>360. but 360 users will say differently lol. FR will have tournaments on all 3 consoles
    Preppy said:
    no one really posts there anymore tbh :\
    Niggas get played this the ps4 house, spending dirty money at the 3rd world ho house
    Strip club love me cause I trick off stacks...then I rob the bitch, give my money back
    ·
  • ZygmunchZygmunch Joined: Posts: 4
    Preppy said:
    And I'm not sure it exists anymore
    ·
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I somehow managed to find the subforum, lol: http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/252

Use the old numbers after "Marvel vs Capcom 2" in the old URL, and  use "http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/" as template. Just change around the numbers. That's how I got to rediscover the non GD/non SF4/non MvC3 stuff that I used to browse. SFXT subforum messed up all the other FG's, what a surprise.

Manila/Luzon in the Philippines still has an offline scene, but it's at L1 damage, which is different from the normal damage MvC2 of the States.
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,213 mod
    4neqs wrote: »
    Manila/Luzon in the Philippines still has an offline scene, but it's at L1 damage, which is different from the normal damage MvC2 of the States.
    IronMan infinite for God Tier. Storm standing Fierce's everything. Magneto players cry when multiple ROM loops barely do anything.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Icemang/Doom chip teams, lol
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    ·
  • yoh001yoh001 Joined: Posts: 147 ✭✭
    ^Don't for get Blackheart assist.
    FC: 4811 - 7485 - 8425

Pokemon X
    ·
    Any scene that still uses Cable alot is a good scene IMO
    ·
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 15,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NickRocks said:
    You would love the scene of my country then
    Here, the game is called Marvel vs Cable for a reason
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    ·
    Hecatom said:
    NickRocks said:
    tell them to come to final round! ahaha
    ·
  • Benji41Benji41 Joined: Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    @ Mr. X  I click off topic on accident sorry.
    Post edited by Benji41 on
    SSF4 AE 2012 Main:Guile,Dee Jay
    Back up:Balrog,Makoto
    UMVC3 Main:Mag,Storm,Task
    Back Up:Cap,Spencer,Nova
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
  • ForTheViolenceForTheViolence Joined: Posts: 11
    it's pretty dead mainstream wise. But I know xbox live has a strong community, psn is decent.

KOF XIII | Street Fighter III 3rd Strike | Persona 4 Arena | Vampire Savior 1&2
    Calculated Rushdown wins games.
    ·
    peru having a tourney soon

·
  • TheGamingToolTheGamingTool Joined: Posts: 43
    It is more alive on Xbox than psn. Trust me, I have both versions. MvC2 still have fans and still alive till this day. Not sure when it is going to die down but I am still playing it.
    ·
  • EricGGMusicEricGGMusic Online Tournament Organizer Joined: Posts: 1,738
    PSN is more alive than XBL. XBL might have a few better players but in numbers, no.
    PSN: Simply_EGGy
    MvC2: Rogue/Sent/CapCom
    3SO: Chun Li, Remy, Sean
    SSF4 AE: E.Honda, Chun Li
    ·
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GC has a MVC2 board finally, gonna see if we can run thins when the inks get worked out.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
    ·
  • TheGamingToolTheGamingTool Joined: Posts: 43
    PSN is more alive than XBL. XBL might have a few better players but in numbers, no.

That might be true (I haven't went on my Xbox for quite some) but Psn barely have matches up. At certain times there some matches but not as much as XBL
    ·

That might be true (I haven't went on my Xbox for quite some) but Psn barely have matches up. At certain times there some matches but not as much as XBL
    If you're not playing around past 9PM EST, then that is true. Though that goes for pretty much any game
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,213 mod
    Hecatom said:
    NickRocks said:
    Here we believe that the game is actually a sitcom named "Everybody Loves Tony (Stark)"
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    PSN: we have David Lee (and now josh360!)
    ·
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭
    Nick do you know anything about the status of Eddie Lee currently?
    Slow and steady wins the race
    ·
    Philippines will have an arcade tourney in March as well.

·
    Nick do you know anything about the status of Eddie Lee currently?
    the last thing I know about him is he was playing vanilla mvc3
    ·
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    I stopped playing PSN MvC2.
    That's all that matters.

@EZ, messaging about playing all the time. I don't play that ass anymore, broski... Virtua Fighter and Super Turbo. Fuck Crack.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
    ·
    That's all that matters.

@EZ, messaging about playing all the time. I don't play that ass anymore, broski... Virtua Fighter and Super Turbo. Fuck Crack.
    You weren't good though :P
    ·
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    NickRocks said:
    That's all that matters.

Twas that sarcasm. Thing is - I was good... long time ago. Before PSN. Like, back in 2k6. I just stopped giving a shit about it. It's a dumb game, just too bad that I took 7 more years to accept that.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
    ·
    NickRocks said:<br />
    <br />
    bkfst_sausage said:<br />
    I stopped playing PSN MvC2.<br />
    That's all that matters.<br />
    <br />
    @EZ, messaging about playing all the time. I don't play that ass anymore, broski... Virtua Fighter and Super Turbo. Fuck Crack. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You weren't good though :P<br />
    Twas that sarcasm. Thing is - I was good... long time ago. Before PSN. Like, back in 2k6. I just stopped giving a shit about it. It's a dumb game, just too bad that I took 7 more years to accept that.
    did i retire you from 3s? =D
    ·
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex HARDBody Joined: Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭✭
    I got like 8 MAS sticks ready to go son.  
    ·
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got like 8 MAS sticks ready to go son.  

I need to get back up to Seattle.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
    ·
    edited February 2013
    NickRocks said:
    That's all that matters.

lol yeah that was sarcasm, you used to whoop me when I first started playing. dont be salty, the game's still fun. You should come to FR 

dont think I didnt see you playing MvC2 today
    Post edited by NickRocks on
    ·
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NickRocks said:<br />
    <br />
    bkfst_sausage said:<br />
    I stopped playing PSN MvC2.<br />
    That's all that matters.<br />
    <br />
    @EZ, messaging about playing all the time. I don't play that ass anymore, broski... Virtua Fighter and Super Turbo. Fuck Crack. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You weren't good though :P<br />
    did i retire you from 3s? =D
    No. I still play that. Super Turbo and 3S are really the only fighters I've been playing. I was playing GG and VF too, but those are more off and on spurts, and I'd play KoF more if the netcode was worth anything.

NickRocks said:
    That's all that matters.

lol yeah that was sarcasm, you used to whoop me when I first started playing. dont be salty, the game's still fun. You should come to FR 

dont think I didnt see you playing MvC2 today
    Don't have the time for that. And that's not me playing it. That's my temporary roommate. I told him to not make another account on my PS3 because he's only staying with me through February. I don't touch that game. I refuse to.
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ·
  • EMEM hail illuminati Joined: Posts: 495
    Lol mix retired from marvel cause he was too mad that I was stylin' on him... plus the cal was on me.

Come get retired in ST son! That Blanka needs a beat down, asap 
    b-(
    oletsdoit
    ·
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EM said:
    Lol mix retired from marvel cause he was too mad that I was stylin' on him... plus the cal was on me.

Come get retired in ST son! That Blanka needs a beat down, asap 
    b-(
    I honestly don't even know who you are... Have we even played games?
    ·
    edited February 2013
    fimage

edit: it won't let me put up the one you edited :(
    Post edited by EM on
    oletsdoit
    ·
    @EM wrote: »
    Wow... That was YEARS ago... holy shit.
    I still don't remember playing you in anything though.
    ·
    Shiit I ain't been on GGPO in forever, you still got that shit?
    oletsdoit
    ·
    @EM said:
    Shiit I ain't been on GGPO in forever, you still got that shit?
    Yeah... But IDK if it works... My computer has probably 19382103 things to update before it works though... I haven't turned GGPO on since last summer.
    ·
    Oh you're on that HDR, aight I'll hit you up on PSN. Lookout for my psn - BustahWulf
    oletsdoit
    ·
    @EM said:
    Oh you're on that HDR, aight I'll hit you up on PSN. Lookout for my psn - BustahWulf
    Ohh, cool. I had deleted you a while ago. I forgot we played at all. There was a time I was adding everyone I played, not realizing that there was a cap on how many people you could have. Must have deleted you. My bads.
    ·

MvC2 tourney from the Philippines (last week). Again, Philippine MvC2 is on L1 damage, so it can seem like a completely different game at times.
    ·
  • HaikuWarHaikuWar The Best Looking Player EVER Joined: Posts: 2,094
    Why is the pi on lv 1 damage? Potongana man... I started playing again and I dropped msp for now... because I played cable... holy fuck cable is hella fun. Team scrub/clops ftw man. I'm reviving it in my scene, I sometimes go to my local qzar but barley anyone there. I play on xbox for now because I don't have a mas stick just green goblins :(... ( hint hint I need a mas haha hook it up )
    ·
    edited April 2013
    iirc...

Waaay back in late 2000 or 2001, some players complained about Cable and other characters ending matches too quickly on normal damage. To appease them, most arcades set the damage to L1. It made matches go longer and characters live longer, but it totally changed the way the game was played here.

There's still a few normal damage cabs but L1 became the competitive/MM/tourney standard because of years of use - Marvel 2.5, as Fchamp and Neo dubbed it during their visit here. lol
    Post edited by 4neqs on
    ·
  • JacopeXJacopeX "Veras el color rojo cuando termine contigo." Joined: Posts: 418
    The real question i'm more interested in is how long will MVC2 be alive for?
    ST/Alpha 3/CVS2/SSF4AE2012: Claw
    XBL/GGPO: JacopeX (currently learning how to Fightstick...sorry. =( )
    ·
    JacopeX wrote: »
    All eternity.
    ·
    JacopeX wrote: »

as long as theres people still willing to show up and have side tournies for it, forever...

·
  • M3llow_BalrogM3llow_Balrog Im so brawlic Joined: Posts: 48
    should i get this game? it just doesnt look deep or something
    ·