New to fighting genre, needs help with Guilty Gear

BanglevBanglev Joined: Posts: 32
Hello everyone .

So as the title says, I'm new to the Fighting genre in video gaming.
as for now I tend to enjoy more of 2D games, such as Guilty Gear and Blazblue.
I've decided to take Guilty Gear as my first project and learn the system well.
I chose Faust as my main player, and seriously, I'm having hell of difficulties.
so I have few question about Guilty Gear and Faust in General.
well, I'm learning combos from Mook and not all of the hits in some of the combos is counted [Let's say i'm doing 7 attack and only 5 is counted beacuse the game isn't considering the connection between 2 moves as combo, does it necessarily mean that i'm doing it wrong?]
I've read that Faust has something like Drill Cancel kick, and what does it mean? FDC J2K >K?
I'm sure more questions to come
Thank you

Comments

• AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    Well, if a combo is supposed to do 7 hits, and your combo counter is only showing 5, then you didn't actually combo from your first 2 hits into the next 5 which gives your opponent a chance to block.

As for the rest, a person more familiar with GG (fraud avatar, I know) would be more helpful.
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
  • Vlad7779311Vlad7779311 Joined: Posts: 359
    Have you tried checking out dustloop.com? I am a beginner GG player and I can't give advice other than checking out their forums. They have forum sections for each character there.
    Playing as:
    TTT2: Kunimitsu, Feng Wei, Asuka. Also wanna try out Miguel, Anna, Michelle, Jaycee, Dragunov, Zafina, Leo, Lee, Lei & Wang.
    Skullgirls: Ms. Fortune/Cerebella. Looking forward to ALL 5 DLC characters.
    ST: Vega
    Persona 4 Arena: Akihiko
    UMvC3: I'm just a scrub trying to find a 3rd for a Dante/Strider team that isn't Vergil, Doom or Zero.
    GGXX AC+: Baiken is too hard. Looking for a new main. Maybe Faust, Millia, Potemkin or Jam?
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭

Banglev said:
    Hello everyone .

So as the title says, I'm new to the Fighting genre in video gaming.
    as for now I tend to enjoy more of 2D games, such as Guilty Gear and Blazblue.
    I've decided to take Guilty Gear as my first project and learn the system well.
    I chose Faust as my main player, and seriously, I'm having hell of difficulties.
    so I have few question about Guilty Gear and Faust in General.
    well, I'm learning combos from Mook and not all of the hits in some of the combos is counted [Let's say i'm doing 7 attack and only 5 is counted beacuse the game isn't considering the connection between 2 moves as combo, does it necessarily mean that i'm doing it wrong?]
    I've read that Faust has something like Drill Cancel kick, and what does it mean? FDC J2K >K?
    I'm sure more questions to come
    Thank you
    First of all, you should definitely rely on dustloop's Faust section for combos. Dustloop is great for combos, they probably have a Faust combo thread underneath the Faust character specific discussion. Google it.

If the combo counter doesn't register the correct amount of hits, then yes you messed up the combo. I hope you have the opponent set to tech backwards on frame one so you're not getting fake combos (the combo counter would turn black instead of yellow). In the new version of the game, the combo counter will point out at which move the combo dropped as well. Combos in Guilty Gear are character specific because different characters fall differently and have different hitboxes. Johnny, for example, is very heavy. Millia and May are lighter characters. Basically you should check dustloop to see what works on whom.

FDC is Faultless Defense Cancel. Every move in the game can be cancelled into faultless defense on the first frame or so. This is so that if you accidentally hit one button before the other while trying to do Faultess Defense, you get FD instead of a normal (and then die). An FDC takes advantage of this to kara-cancel an attack into a faultless defense, which allows you to immediately cancel your faultless defense into another attack.  You get the momentum shift immediately from the drill. The drill never actually hits anything, it's only a way to cancel your drill into a jumping kick at a really low jump height. The whole point of this with Faust is to do an instant air drill to get a really low jump, then do an overhead j.k. It's really super cheap, especially when mixed in with his amazing lows (2p, 2s, 2d).

Drill FDC j.k is really hard. You have to jump, do 2k, FD right after, and then j.k quickly enough to connect with the overhead. It has to be hard, it's so unbelievably strong.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • BanglevBanglev Joined: Posts: 32
    You've helped me a lot, thank you.