Just started playing..

JohoJoho Joined: Posts: 0
I just started playing SSF4 arcade edition and I am really new to fighting games in general. I need some advice as far as picking a character. I've been playing around in the challenge mode trying to decide on a character. I really like Akuma, Sagat, Dudley, and Bison but I was doing a little research on the internet and I was advised not to use any of these characters. I was told Akuma and Dudley were to hard to use, Sagat was awful and Bison is just good at playing footsie. Also I need advice practicing links, I usually can get to around challenge 13 or 14. I also noticed its really hard for me to do the quarter of a circle motion. Is this normal for someone who just started playing? Or an I really that bad at this game? Any advice for a new player would be helpful

Comments

• ChaosedChaosed Joined: Posts: 4
    The quarter circle motion thing, yes is an issue most people come across when they just pick up fighting game. As for the character thing however, since you just started I would say you pick whomever you like. Don't overwhelm yourself by thinking of which characters are good and what not, you will have a whole of time to deal with that. Play who you have fun with starting any kind of game, if you aren't having fun you wont keep with it. Until you figure out simple stuff like executing special moves and getting the basics of the game down, it doesn't really matter whom you play with. Sure playing someone like Ryu when you 1st start might lead to more early wins but if you are able to enjoy the game and learn at the same time, then does it really matter whom you play as?

• detekniciandeteknician Joined: Posts: 335
    edited February 2013
    Pick a character you like.  The game is fairly well balanced and like 90% of the cast can win majors.  (Gen, Guile, Zangief, to name a few "low/midtier" characters that have won majors.)  Hugo101 almost won NCR with Bison, only Infiltration stopped him. Also, Sagat is not awful.  Sanford either wins or gets 2nd at Big Two like every single week, he placed 2nd at WB7 just over this past weekend.  So pick characters you like and play for fun and to learn; forget about winning and loosing for now.
    Post edited by deteknician on
    - an option select is that thing krys does when he checks which bathroom to use at the fish market