Beginner Mix/Cross-Up Help

ChaosedChaosed Joined: Posts: 4
I have been playing fighting games for a while, recently however I been trying to actually get better at them. My main focus in this case is SF4:AE. I use E.Ryu,Juri and Ibuki.

The problem I have been running into is executing and defending aganist Cross-Ups. I am having an issue trying to practice this part of the game, it seems to be a lot different then execution. So really any help in regarding this area would be greatly appreciated.

An additional spot that I am having is safe jumps as they still confuse me a little in finding them or fully understanding what they are.

Thanks.

Comments

• ugo_2uugo_2u Joined: Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭
    hmm, check the various character threads
    ssf4ae v2012 tutorial archive http://www.padstickgaming.com/
    Footsie Guide by Maj PDF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30414642/footsie guide.pdf
    Follow me on Twitter @ugo_2u
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, AE is a game where Crossups can be incredibly hard to block. In time you'll understand character jumps arcs and you should be able to block accordingly. Or in some cases you can Ant-Air / Shoryuken the jump in for free.

Basically. I safe jump is where you knock a character onto the ground via an untechable knockdown (A Sweep or certain special moves gives this kind of knockdown) that removes your opponents option to wakeup when they like. An Untechable knockdown (UTKD) forces them to get up at a certain point. Basically, you jump at them and if they mash a Wakeup DP you will block it and get a free punish.

You may need to do a jumping attack for a safejump. Simply do it as close to the ground as possible and it'll work.

Basically. It keeps you safe.
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

• KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭
    Honestly blocking crossups is just experience with character setups. Seth's jump, for example, is extremely hard to block for a newcomer. I'm a Seth main but I never play against Seth, so I have trouble blocking my own character lol.

Look at spacing before they jump, and just look at them in relation to your character. You will get hit sometimes if they're doing it well, that's just the nature of crossups.

Nobody bring up unblockables please.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • ChronoJoeChronoJoe Joined: Posts: 46
    This is the type of thing that's difficult to practice without playing real people. AI don't use crossups (at least not intentionally from what I've seen). Although I guess it's possible to practice using the replay function in training mode, that'd be a slow and laborious process. 

Fortunately it's also the kind of thing that you should be able to pick up swiftly just by playing the game. You'll get used to jump arcs and which way to block, however you'll still get hit by a few due to the fact that some are only discernible in regards to which direction to block, by a single pixel. But some characters also have tools for dealing with this. Autocorrect reversals and also focus-backdash (if your character has a good backdash like Rose) can work. 

• ChaosedChaosed Joined: Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, AE is a game where Crossups can be incredibly hard to block. In time you'll understand character jumps arcs and you should be able to block accordingly. Or in some cases you can Ant-Air / Shoryuken the jump in for free.

Basically. I safe jump is where you knock a character onto the ground via an untechable knockdown (A Sweep or certain special moves gives this kind of knockdown) that removes your opponents option to wakeup when they like. An Untechable knockdown (UTKD) forces them to get up at a certain point. Basically, you jump at them and if they mash a Wakeup DP you will block it and get a free punish.

You may need to do a jumping attack for a safejump. Simply do it as close to the ground as possible and it'll work.

Basically. It keeps you safe.
    Thanks a lot, I get the safe jumping thing now. :)
    Post edited by Chaosed on
  • fischbsfischbs Joined: Posts: 143
    Blocking is one of the most rudimentary yet important skills in SF.  Crossups are hard to block because good blocking skills take time to develop.
  • OverworldOverworld Low Tier Joined: Posts: 1,595
    Sometimes it's also helpful if you have an area of the game that you're having extra difficulty in to grab a friend and have him do it over and over. Unlike a lot of things, cross-ups aren't something you'd need to find a dedicated character player for, you just need to know what cross-ups are commonly used. If you don't know anyone I'm sure you could find someone who would help out online.

In addition to the autocorrect reversals and focus-backdash once you begin to "see" crossup coming other options open up to you. Some characters have hit boxes that change depending on the move they do, so a low in the right situation can escape a crossup. If the crossup is mistimed slightly you can also sometimes walk under it.