What makes this game more competitive/harder than tekken?

Comments

• chubbyfingerzchubbyfingerz Kore ga Saikyo-ryu da! Joined: Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭
    Tekken is a nonsensical guess and juggle fest riddled with imbalances and gimmicks.

This game is not.
    PSN: SaikyoForever

Test yourself against Saikyo!

• JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Tekken is a nonsensical guess and juggle fest riddled with imbalances and gimmicks.

This game is not.
    Tbh that description would fit SF4 as well, aside from juggling. If you want to look at it like that. 
    Gfwl: jholtta
    Psn: julpro

ssf4 ae 2012: Yang, Gen
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Ryo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
    SSF4 has some guessing, mostly with vortex characters, but we complain enough about that as it is. 
    The game is very well balanced. Gimmicks are mostly innefective at high level play ( I'm looking at you Dhalsim and Blanka).

• TaeyeonTaeyeon hwaiting! Joined: Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    SSF4 has some guessing, mostly with vortex characters, but we complain enough about that as it is. 
    The game is very well balanced. Gimmicks are mostly innefective at high level play ( I'm looking at you Dhalsim and Blanka).

Dhalsim is ineffective at high level play because he gets destroyed in a LOT of matchups (a lot of which are popular characters like Yun, Seth, Viper, etc). Also...Dhalsim is not a "gimmick" he's just a regular zoning character. 
    Post edited by Taeyeon on
  • Ryuken9Ryuken9 Joined: Posts: 504
    Generally Seth and Viper are not popular characters, not even in high level play. They're the least played in the arcades, other than OnlineTony who are the high level Seth in america?
    SSF4 AE : Seth/Ken/Sagat/Evil Ryu

PSN is full of pussies
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    Gman said:
    ^Topic
    This is an awful topic. Just play what you like and stop trolling/looking for approval.

Anyone who replies to this with reasons why SF4 is more competitive than Tekken deserves to be smacked.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭
    This would be valid if you went back to the first Tekken games that were still experimenting with 3D fighting.

now it has advanced a lot.

The advantage Tekken has over SF is that from start to finish, it never faded in popularity, There wasnt an arcade that didnt have a Tekken cab. while SF after the launch of Alpha and III lost its faithful fan base.
    So one could say that the Tekken fanbase has more continuity.

not good at any, mediocre at many
  • DuaieDuaie Joined: Posts: 269 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    @petran79
    That's true, but the Tekken fanbase also has more continuity because it gathers more to casual players. Tekken fanbase grows everytime a new title launches, while in SF, only hardcore fans bother playing every single update. Not to say Tekken doesn't have its hardcore following, it's just that it's more appealing to the everyday gamer.

Back to the topic, I agree with Kiku, this thread is pretty meaningless. Tekken is just as competitive as SF imo, it has some bullshit and it's a bit more random but that's not the reason why the 2D community is bigger than the 3D.
    I think it's because 3D fighters are extremely hard to get into at competitive levels because of their complexity, at least compared to SF.
    In order to get into the hardcore side of Tekken, you have to practice and learn so much more stuff than SF, people just give up on it.

It's not a matter of SF being more competitive than TK (at least from my perspective), it's just a matter of numbers.
    Post edited by Duaie on
  • detekniciandeteknician Joined: Posts: 338
    I'm not a Tekken player so I can't tell you the difference.  I'm not a Tekken hater though and I'm sure the game is just as deep as SF.  The reason I don't play Tekken, and this could possibly be part of the answer here is that in Tekken some moves hit a downed opponent and visually they just don't make sense.  The guy is on the floor and you're hitting some mid-looking kick and keep juggling a player who is lying down.  I can't get over that.  This is not exclusive to Tekken. All 3D fighters I've seen have this and this is why I stick to SF.  Collision detection in 3D fighters just seems wacky and characters feel weightless to me.
    - an option select is that thing krys does when he checks which bathroom to use at the fish market

• littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 295
    edited February 2013
    i was a tekken player before,but as soon as i touched SSF IV ,i literally never played 3D fighters again in my life !
    Post edited by littlescumbag on
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here

Steam : LittleScumbag : failing to improve at KOF here
  • Bornholm23Bornholm23 Joined: Posts: 16
    I don't really think you can compare the two to one other. First, there is an major difference in how an 2-d fighter is played versus an 3-d fighter. A more fair comparison would be to compare tekken whit another 3-D fighter e.g soul calibur contra SF whit another 2-D fighter. Both games are played at major tourneys.
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Bornholm23 wrote: »
    A more fair comparison would be to compare tekken whit another 3-D fighter e.g soul calibur...

You can't compare Tekken to Soulcalibur... ;)
    SSFIV:AE - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
  • ShabroutShabrout Joined: Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    That "3D" thing makes me smiles, you can't hit in different vertical angle nore can you hit a particular horizontal angle same for the direction you can walk in. Finally it's just another 2D game, you fight in the same line and the only controls you got is forward or backward. Even with the side step it doesn't make it a 3D thing. A 2D fighter with 3D camera movement that's it.

Tekken and MK always were floaty animations, no weight characters, inhuman or weird body movements, huge recovery making the whole fight look like the fighters have 80 years old.

The day they'll fix that, it will be a bad ass game.
  • Ryuken9Ryuken9 Joined: Posts: 504
    So that means DBZ Budokai 3 is a 2D fighter as well?
    SSF4 AE : Seth/Ken/Sagat/Evil Ryu

PSN is full of pussies
    Shabrout said:

Tekken and MK always were floaty animations, no weight characters, inhuman or weird body movements, huge recovery making the whole fight look like the fighters have 80 years old.

I think you pretty much said it. This new  "Injustice" also feels really weird, MK style. Characters bounce off the floor... the physics are bizarre and it feels weightless and dumb

• OilforthewinOilforthewin new plural? Joined: Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

Well it also very competitive, when i see this.

Tekken isn´t harder than SF, it is just different. You got at Tekken seperate buttons for the limbs, sidestepping, combos are contained in the movelist(some people would call it friendly towards button smashers).No super meter, juggles are more important(they were always important in Tekken, just look at the video, at 1:50[i guess Heihachi was easily top tier], the video makes problems -_-.)

I mean Tekken isn´t a game, where it is possible to do things like a combo that looks this way:
    Crouching Light Punch 3x, Crouching Medium Kick, Cancel into Fireball.
    You have to use the attack sequences, which are listed in the movelist, to open up your opponent and to get high damage , juggles are needed in this 4 button fighter.
    Not the best description, but didn´t played Tekken for a long time.
    Post edited by Oilforthewin on
    "The man with the largest arms in the world is not hard to find, I'm just hard, just ask my hooches."