Do modern games make it easier to perform special moves?

Chukz15Chukz15 Low Tier Option select is the future.Joined: Posts: 492 ✭✭
I'm playing some old fighting games on my Ps3 and on GGPO, and one thing that is consistant is that pulling off any specials are too damn hard! Trying to link things are a pain as well. Do QCF/QCB motions get easier int he newer games such as MVC3/SSF4.
PSN:Chukz15
GFWL: Darkerfire706
Skill level: D tier
Injustice: Superman, Batman
Mahvel:Nova/Vergil/Hawkeye alt Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
SSFIV: Dan/Balrog

Comments

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭
    you have also to consider that controllers and joysticks get more polished and more ergonomic with time.
    those games had mostly joysticks full of ashes, grease, oil (from dirty fingers,not service) and whatever you could imagine and very often no one made service to them and they were ready to be detached or break during play.

also each game has different timings. you cant jump straight from one game to another without getting used to it.

I wouldnt say they got easier, it is just that more care has been taken thanks also to user feedback
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    By and large yes, but it varies by game.
  • ChaosedChaosed Joined: Posts: 4
    Yah I would say that they have gotten a fair amount easier in a certain sense. All of these games have different input timings, once you adjust to it pulling specials off should be just as easy. Fighting games simply have continued to become more polished and refined based on developer experience/player feedback.

In my opinion I find if I play a decent amount of older fighting games in a solid chunk it is a lot more frustrating to go back to the newer ones then the other way around.
  • klawwklaww Dirtiest Grawgin Joined: Posts: 190
    I'd say not.  I can just as easily do dragon punches and hadoukens on my genesis as my stick on ps3.
    Terribad.
    PSN: KlawwG
    Steam: Klaww213 hit me up anytime. :3
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭
    Yes. In multiple ways. Time you get to do the motion and leniency of motion are both larger in newer games.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • OutrospectreOutrospectre Joined: Posts: 1
    Sort of. Super Turbo had an inconsistent input window for dragon punches, and on the faster speed, the game ran really freaking fast, which made the input windows narrow. SF4 has a number of features that make inputs easier, like shortcuts (a HCF can be performed with DB F instead of B DB D DF F, a dragon punch can be performed with DF D DF instead of F D DF, 360s used to take 7 directions but now take 6.)

People tend to over-exaggerate this a bit, though. It's not that hard to do motions in older games, nor is it as lenient as people sometimes imply for SF4. The buffer duration is still well under a second, but people talk as if it lasts ages.
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,089 ✭✭
    There's 27 different ways to input DP in SFIV. That's not really exaggeration.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 1,981
    How are there ppl saying no?

Things now are like twice as easy (e.g. ST - SF4)

The timings were tighter and had many inconsistencies back then. Now there are multiple shortcuts everywhere.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭✭
    Older games generally had less input leniency, shortcuts, reversal windows were shorter, plinking wasn't always around in the early days, and game speed was much faster.  Therefore, as a blanket statement, inputs were much harder to land consistently in the old days than newer games.  

A kid suffering from epilepsy could mash out a reversal DP 10/10 on accident.  In newer versions of SF2, a reversal DP meant hitting a 1-frame link that you cannot plink with near-perfect execution of the DP motion.