FGD Lounge: for general fighting game discussions that aren't thread worthy

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,134 mod
    Wasn't sure if it was worthy of its own thread, so I'll put this in here. Been working on a fan-made fighter for a while (made using Game Maker) and finally released a playable build: VGFC - Worlds Collide.
    m9KY6yV.png
    Credit to @roknin for the logo, he's also working on some cover art for it but that isn't ready yet

...yeah, I'm terrible with names :rofl:

Thought you guys might enjoy it, so I'm sharing it here.

Currently lacking a lot of stuff (aside from the roster size), but it's still a WIP and I'll continue to work on improving it/adding more. Right now it has Arcade with some AI opponents, barebones training mode (it's basically versus but with infinite time/health and the ability to turn the hitboxes on/off with Start), and 4 versus modes:

Standard Versus (1v1)
    YOLO Versus (You die in one hit, but there's no chip damage, all mechanics are enabled by default, and you have infinite meter)
    Honest Versus (some may remember this from back in the scrubquotes thread, basically a mode that removes all of the "cheap" stuff that scrubs complain about)

From an older build but the premise is the same
    Team Versus (3v3 fights, similar to KOF)

It also supports button and keyboard mapping and should work with pretty much any controller or Arcade Stick. Also supports custom music so you can assign your own bgm to each stage or the main menu (.mp3 or .ogg files).

Some screens:
    ozuXL0i.png
    zTo0nnv.png
    w58qso3.png
    y7MPZzM.png
    sNmjiOT.png
    QqbB1is.png
    wZuC3oV.png

Gameplay:

The vid is from January, I've made some tweaks since then such as the addition of tech rolls. Couple of my friends playing so not the most high level stuff or anything.

Also note, boss versions of characters (God Rugal, Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Shin Akuma, etc) are just glorified palette swaps. They have some different idle animations/win poses/taunts, but gameplay-wise they're identical to their regular counterparts.

(Credit to @Phantom Angel for the battle UI and @Smashbro29 for being the announcer)

If anyone's interested, you can find a download link for it on here:

http://vgfc-worlds-collide.herokuapp.com/

It's a wiki of sorts that I've been building for it. Still has a lot left to add though, but you can find the download link at the bottom of the home page (or click on "Download" at the top).

Let me know what you guys think. All I ask is that any criticism be more constructive than just "it's trash." :razz:

Does this have the scrub rules mode, for lolz and giggles?
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Lab Cat Joined: Posts: 22,416
    d3v wrote: »

Yeah, that's what the "Honest Versus" thing is. I even link the same vid in that post :rofl:

Also, since you're here, should I make a thread for this or just keep it in here?
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Zeku | Smash 4: Toon Link Blazblue: Kokonoe
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

Yeah, that's what the "Honest Versus" thing is. I even link the same vid in that post :rofl:

Also, since you're here, should I make a thread for this or just keep it in here?

Go ahead and make a new thread about it.

Go ahead and make a new thread about it.

And done: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/209243/vgfc-worlds-collide-fan-made-fighter?new=1
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
  • Pokemon123Pokemon123 Joined: Posts: 237
    one last question, what are the most popular games in japan? I've heard stuff like blazblue and guilty gear and tekken are way more popular than street fighter and KOF. This true?
    aspiring 3s player.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,837
    You used Game Maker, huh? I've been wondering what engine should be best for making an indie fighter:
    -Game Maker
    -Unity
    -LOVE2D
    -Mugen
    -Others?

There's also Project EF-12.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,805
    Pokemon123 wrote: »
    one last question, what are the most popular games in japan? I've heard stuff like blazblue and guilty gear and tekken are way more popular than street fighter and KOF. This true?

It is true.
    But it is also true that some games tend to be more popular than others depending of the arcade and zone.
    For example, there are arcades where Dangeki Bunko Climax is the most played game.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,407 mod
    Pokemon123 wrote: »

While we were still getting arcadia ratings threads, most popular game was the gundam vs cabs.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    I don't know the official rankings but IIRC third strike has been top 10 in most played for a long time
    Arcadia was always very bogus with their rankings.
    They used to make it look like SF4 was struggling and making it seem like 3s was doing better than what really is.

They used a "hit" metric, but they never really explained what the hell it was.

( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • IbokiIboki Joined: Posts: 209
    Matsuda was fudging the numbers to keep the game in SBO
    I remember that back when SBO was a thing many people theorized about that.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    edited May 2016
    I actually just made that up right now but props to Matsuda if he actually did that.
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/10/11652866/disney-infinity-ending
    inb4 polygon

So with Disney announcing that they're going back to licensing properties instead of developing their own stuff, does this mean there's hope for a MVC4? I think with the critical acclaim for Avengers and everything MCU it could totally work, right? I think it'd gel well with Capcom's plans for a game that can work as a platform. I'm prolly deluded at this point.
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    Capcoms broke ass isnt going make another poverty game to not make money from. Not that they could afford to even buy the license.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,402
    Yeah, they could if they had plenty of backing from Disney!Marvel... but this is Disney!Marvel we're talking about. And hearing about how they were a pain to work with during the development of MvC3... game made some buck, but not enough in the eyes of Marvel back then. You think Disney!Marvel will want what they consider chump change back with their greedy asses?

Maybe if they were generous, but seeing as how they dropped Disney Infinity so damn fast (along with entire development team!) just because of a SLIGHT dip in profits. :disappointed:
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,444
    At the end of the day these guys are all about the $$$, so if your development team or company ain't cutting it. . . bye bye.

---

In other news, are people really ok with that 8 frames of input lag on the PS4 for SFV? What they smoking? :D
    Weeaboo wrote: »
    In other news, are people really ok with that 8 frames of input lag on the PS4 for SFV? What they smoking?

I don't think everyone's necessarily "okay" with it, more that we're begrudgingly accepting and adapting to it. Capcom still hasn't responded to it so at the moment it seems we may be stuck with it.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,444
    Weeaboo wrote: »
    In other news, are people really ok with that 8 frames of input lag on the PS4 for SFV? What they smoking?

I don't think everyone's necessarily "okay" with it, more that we're begrudgingly accepting and adapting to it. Capcom still hasn't responded to it so at the moment it seems we may be stuck with it.

It just that it sucks that my friend & other people who bought this & it has come out to being pretty lackluster.

(don't know if I'm using that word right lol)
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,361
    Looks like Disney tried to have all/most of their IP games made in house, but they realized that they just lack the development talent to make AAA games. Wonder what their next approach is. They aren't going to give up on games; the profits are there, and it reaches the coveted young adult male audience which the Disney brand has trouble with.
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,837
    Looks like Disney tried to have all/most of their IP games made in house, but they realized that they just lack the development talent to make AAA games. Wonder what their next approach is. They aren't going to give up on games; the profits are there, and it reaches the coveted young adult male audience which the Disney brand has trouble with.

Disney are gonna license their properties. I don't feel Disney understands the game industry. They had a perfectly fine game company in Lucas Arts and they shut them down.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    edited May 2016

Buyout Capcom.

On a somewhat related note, it's interesting how one of the issues that caused Disney Infinity's problems was the same as one of the ones that caused MadCatz problems - overproducing stock. Basically, they overestimated how much toys would sell, which meant that they ended up selling only half their inventory, similar to how MadCatz overproduced certain sticks (TEs, SEs, etc.) and resorted to a combination of sales and "special edition" releases to try to sell more.
    Post edited by d3v on
  • LastVerseLastVerse Joined: Posts: 12
    Is it normal for my wrists and fingers to be kinda sore while learning a stick, or am i just holding this whole thing wrong?
    Some progress on a barkley fighting game I've been working on:

This is probably the only game where HnK style basketball infinites are not only welcome, but should be part of the game.
  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Barkley Fightan Dev Joined: Posts: 630
    edited May 2016
    Heating Up is the mode where that's possible. It's more of a loop since there's a set timer on Heating Up.
    Post edited by MollyFighter on
    Heating Up is the mode where that's possible. It's more of a loop since there's a set timer on Heating Up.

Nice, but what's up with that low damage?
  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Barkley Fightan Dev Joined: Posts: 630
    I still have it set to do st.LP's damage, anything damage-wise isn't final though. I'm just trying to get everything working properly.
  • StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    Is anyone else bothered by the slowdown on some classic games like kof98? It just feels so bad to me
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,945
    Recommend me a newer fighting game that is footsie oriented and doesn't turn into a turtle fest.

Hopefully one that has an actual community.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,988
    edited May 2016
    Recommend me a newer fighting game that is footsie oriented and doesn't turn into a turtle fest.

You know your playing fighting games right? Your asking for way too much. ONLY street fighter V fit that description.

not a turtle fest? only game that get like that SS2 and even then its no where as bad as SF2 turbo turtle fights

Either you should be asking for footsie game or game with active community. Because both does not exist when SFV is thin. IF spiting hair then we can say Smash too....

With Last blade 2 ps4 release ///

Better what with every one always wanting a big/lively community for a niche game? Im not saying I don't want people to play but as long the people am playing are stronger than me and costs;ty getting stronger then I'm fine playing what ever match up over and over. Better than playing pool of people are easy picking or just weak. If I want variety then i change my mains up.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    I really just wish CVS2 was still alive and had an active community. I would learn stick for that game in a heartbeat
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,022
    Hey is anyone aware of a scene in Tucson Arizona?
  • karatechampkaratechamp Joined: Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. First post on srk.
    I have a question. I'm pretty new to fighting games. Mainly I just play ssf2st in fightcade against a couple friends since its the first fighter i played and i really haven't played many others. but i am sort of familiar with the basic principles of street fighter.
    tldr; i watched that sirlin video where he explains street fighter that was in capcom classics collection vol. 2
    basically to me it seems to revolve around different character archetype playing the footsie games in order to either whiff punish and convert into more damage or to knock down to do okizeme on them, with the ulterior motive of putting them into the corner where their offense is the most limited and yours is strongest. but ofc theres different archetypes, gief's goal is to walk in on you so he can grab you, fei long wants to get close too to pressure you with rekka, guile wants to use his good buttons to poke you and his specials to keep you away, sagat wants to do the same basically, blanka is kind of a pesky mix up character, etc. is that kind of close to the reality?
    Is there anywhere i can read more about that? to me understanding what fighting games are about is the key to enjoying them (or not enjoying them). i have learned a little bit about what button is good for what character, what to do in a matchup, or what to do in a situation. (make no mistake though i am a total noob scrub.) but i am not any closer to seeing the big picture.

anyway thats not really what this question is really about, but i would appreciate clarification. i would like to know what different type of fighting games are about. kof looks like really fast paced running and hopping pressure to confirm into more damage against strong def and defensive tools that arent in sf (rolling) to maintain a quick pace of the match. i watched a bit of darkstalkers 3 and it looks really similar but with crazier setups. the games i really dont get are the ones like the marvel vs series, skullgirls and hokuto no ken. games where you make 1 mistake and the round is over because you eat a huge combo into a reset that you might guess right or you just get infinite comboed. what are those games about, why do people enjoy them?
  • thiagoeisthiagoeis Just press the buttons Joined: Posts: 662
    I don't know about the others, but for me I enjoy Marvel because of the unlimited freedom the game provides: Super jumps, air dashing and teleporting like crazy, tons of variations for simple and advanced combos, playing neutral at high speeds, lots of team formations and options (of course, top tier teams will always be on tournaments, but a lot of fun teams can be constructed for casual play and online trolling) and maybe more.

"Oh, but the infinites..." I don't care about their existence in the whole series. Since COTA, infinites are in the serie's blood; so, whatever...
    High level salty play

- I try to play:
    MvC:I: Reality-Ultron/Chun, Time-Ultron/Chun, Time-Cap.Marvel/Ryu, ?-Venom/?
    DBZ: Trunks/Piccolo/Yamcha
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Doom/Strider, Taskmaster/Chun/Hawkeye, Task/Doom/Hawk, point Hawkeye and point Vergil (troll) teams
    SFV: Alex, Guile and Ryu (CFN id: trakkerzorg)

Other games:
    - I play 4fun or when someone asks:
    GGXrd: Slayer
    SFxT: Combinations of Poison, Jin, Ryu, Vega(Claw), Yoshimitsu, Guile and sometimes Chun
    MSH: Psylocke and Spider-Man
    MvC: Gambit, Spider-Man, Ryu, Strider. Trolls with Zangief, Venom and O. Hulk
    Super Turbo/HDR: Guile, Vega(Claw)
    3rd Strike: Akuma, Ryu. Trolls with Alex and Twelve
    USFIV: Vega(Claw), Ryu. Fools around with Seth and Poison

- Stuff that I should practice more but I don't:
    DOA5LR: Kasumi
    MvC2: WarMachine/IronMan/Doom. Also weird teams with Rogue, Gambit, Ken, Akuma and other mid tiers
    CvS2: A-Guile/Ryu/Vega, A-Terry/Ken/Vega
    KOF XIII: Terry/King/Kim
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    Pertho wrote: »
    Best frame of mind to get you started is to look at fighting games as being about controlling your opponent's options

This is almost all head-on competition. The two main routes of victory are limiting your opponent's options, being too big on some axis of interaction or acting on an axis he doesn't interact on. The last one doesn't usually apply in fighting games, but the first two sure do.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    edited June 2016

Not gonna find one that has a "big" community. You're either gonna have to settle for niche titles, older games, or both.

Koihime is a footsie heavy game

Akatsuki Blitzkampf has familiar SF-style gameplay + parries

If you're willing to loosen your constraints to "games with good neutral", then play any of the old classics. You're guaranteed to get games on FightCade. Some of the older GG titles are great, but everyone has moved on. Melty is of course fantastic but I believe the Steam version's netcode sucks.