FGD Lounge: for general fighting game discussions that aren't thread worthy

16567697071

Comments

  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    ilitirit wrote: »
    Melty is of course fantastic but I believe the Steam version's netcode sucks.

    They're hiring the RollCaster guy to integrate rollbacks into Steam Melty, if memory serves.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,066 mod
    If you want footsies Yagatarsu (sp?) is great but Koihime is fucking delicious. Don't get me started on how nice footsies feel in that game.

    Also Vanguard Princess (the freeware version). Phenomenal footsie game.
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • MemorycardMemorycard Silk Lotus Formation Joined: Posts: 530
    ilitirit wrote: »
    Hopefully one that has an actual community.

    Not gonna find one that has a "big" community. You're either gonna have to settle for niche titles, older games, or both.

    Koihime is a footsie heavy game


    Akatsuki Blitzkampf has familiar SF-style gameplay + parries


    If you're willing to loosen your constraints to "games with good neutral", then play any of the old classics. You're guaranteed to get games on FightCade. Some of the older GG titles are great, but everyone has moved on. Melty is of course fantastic but I believe the Steam version's netcode sucks.

    I definitely would like to try out Koihime. But I bet it's only in Japan :s
    SFV: Rashid & M. Bison
    BBCF: Jubei
    Tekken 7: waiting on Geese Howard
    ......I don't trust Capcom.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    SleepyFoxx wrote: »
    I definitely would like to try out Koihime. But I bet it's only in Japan :s

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/452420/
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,495
    edited June 2016
    nevermind...
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • Pokemon123Pokemon123 Joined: Posts: 237
    Just curious, with CF coming out is it likely to do well as in having a decent scene with GG in the mix?
    aspiring 3s player.
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,742
    thiagoeis wrote: »
    I don't know about the others, but for me I enjoy Marvel because of the unlimited freedom the game provides: Super jumps, air dashing and teleporting like crazy, tons of variations for simple and advanced combos, playing neutral at high speeds, lots of team formations and options (of course, top tier teams will always be on tournaments, but a lot of fun teams can be constructed for casual play and online trolling) and maybe more.

    "Oh, but the infinites..." I don't care about their existence in the whole series. Since COTA, infinites are in the serie's blood; so, whatever...

    Marvel to me, as an admittedly casual as fuck player who can't even use half the systems competently, is supposed to be busted. I just pick it up and laugh at all the dumb and/or crazy and/or awesome shit going on. Me and a buddy of mine still have tons of inside jokes from playing Marvel Super-Heroes on the PS1 back in the day when we barely could pull off supers, and those old-ish cross-over games will always have a special place in my scrubby heart even if I still can't play them for shit. I can understand how most of those games are goddamn nightmares in a competitive setting, though.
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

    I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,247
    d3v wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    Ugh, i hate watching xrd on stream because i swear they always play the same fucking stage. Its so fucking infuriating, because the game has some beautiful stages and music, but a whole top 8 will usually be played on the below stage.

    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XvXyrD6msAM/mqdefault.jpg

    Better than playing in Edinburgh Magicapolis. Almost every other stage is great. I don't know how anyone on the dev team thought: "Let's have a stage with a scrolling background, so people can feel really sick after playing that shit for half an hour!" and people agreed.
    Scrolling stages aren't anything new. They've been around since the 90's in some of Capcom's games (A2 Rolento's stage and multiple VS stages).

    Been around since 1987
    What game? I don't recall Street Fighter 1 ever having a continuously scrolling stage on a train/boat/whatever? The earliest ones I can remember were from Fatal Fury 2 in '91.

    SF1 has clouds scrolling I think
  • NPham2005NPham2005 Joined: Posts: 77
    In the Street Fighter series, who is Ryu's archenemy and who is Ken's archenemy?
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783
    Bison
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,742
    Ken doesn't really have an archenemy. His entire raison d'etre is being a foil to Ryu. Meanwhile, Ryu probably sees Akuma as his archenemy, while he as quite a few people gunning for him depending on the timeline. Hell, Bison's probably more of an archenemy to Guile and Chun-Li. Ryu just feels like he doesn't take much that personally. He just punches bad guys in the face and moves on.
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

    I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017
    Came across this old discussion about Virtua Fighter's popularity in the West and lack there of.

    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506489&page=3

    Where do ya weigh in on this?
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kecka wrote: »
    Ken doesn't really have an archenemy. His entire raison d'etre is being a foil to Ryu. Meanwhile, Ryu probably sees Akuma as his archenemy, while he as quite a few people gunning for him depending on the timeline. Hell, Bison's probably more of an archenemy to Guile and Chun-Li. Ryu just feels like he doesn't take much that personally. He just punches bad guys in the face and moves on.

    Ryu is his own arch-enemy. It's a really good way to interpret not only Ryu's character, but also the journey of the player. You're not only fighting your opponent, but your own bad habits and bad decisions during the match. Whereas Ryu is doing all of that AND trying to get a grip on the dark hado.

    If you just say that this character or that character is Ryu's arch-enemy, whenever that enemy is defeated his motivation as a character has to change.
  • thiagoeisthiagoeis Just press the buttons Joined: Posts: 662
    NeoBlood wrote: »
    Kecka wrote: »
    Ken doesn't really have an archenemy. His entire raison d'etre is being a foil to Ryu. Meanwhile, Ryu probably sees Akuma as his archenemy, while he as quite a few people gunning for him depending on the timeline. Hell, Bison's probably more of an archenemy to Guile and Chun-Li. Ryu just feels like he doesn't take much that personally. He just punches bad guys in the face and moves on.

    Ryu is his own arch-enemy. It's a really good way to interpret not only Ryu's character, but also the journey of the player. You're not only fighting your opponent, but your own bad habits and bad decisions during the match. Whereas Ryu is doing all of that AND trying to get a grip on the dark hado.

    If you just say that this character or that character is Ryu's arch-enemy, whenever that enemy is defeated his motivation as a character has to change.

    That's exactly what I was talking with a friend of mine a while ago. Ryu is his own rival/archnemesis because he is always fighting his inner self (trying to get better at every fight) and the Satsui no Hado.

    And yeah, since SFIV I see Bison as an enemy for Chun, Guile and Cammy.
    High level salty play

    - I try to play:
    MvC:I: Reality-Ultron/Chun, Time-Ultron/Chun, Time-Cap.Marvel/Ryu, ?-Venom/?
    DBZ: Trunks/Piccolo/Yamcha
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Doom/Strider, Taskmaster/Chun/Hawkeye, Task/Doom/Hawk, point Hawkeye and point Vergil (troll) teams
    SFV: Alex, Guile and Ryu (CFN id: trakkerzorg)

    Other games:
    - I play 4fun or when someone asks:
    GGXrd: Slayer
    SFxT: Combinations of Poison, Jin, Ryu, Vega(Claw), Yoshimitsu, Guile and sometimes Chun
    MSH: Psylocke and Spider-Man
    MvC: Gambit, Spider-Man, Ryu, Strider. Trolls with Zangief, Venom and O. Hulk
    Super Turbo/HDR: Guile, Vega(Claw)
    3rd Strike: Akuma, Ryu. Trolls with Alex and Twelve
    USFIV: Vega(Claw), Ryu. Fools around with Seth and Poison

    - Stuff that I should practice more but I don't:
    DOA5LR: Kasumi
    MvC2: WarMachine/IronMan/Doom. Also weird teams with Rogue, Gambit, Ken, Akuma and other mid tiers
    CvS2: A-Guile/Ryu/Vega, A-Terry/Ken/Vega
    KOF XIII: Terry/King/Kim
  • NPham2005NPham2005 Joined: Posts: 77
    edited June 2016
    Does Bison have an arch-enemy? Like who has Bison hated the most and been the most angry at?
    Post edited by NPham2005 on
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,742
    King9999 wrote: »
    I'd add Vanessa too, but then you look at what they did to her from VF4 to VF5...

    Can't have no darkies in Japan!
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

    I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017
    Anybody else feel the genre needs a shake up? Like how Smash introduced a alternative to beating one down till their health is depleted, and how you fight? I think the genre is long over due for a new series that introduces a whole new way to play fighting games. I'm gonna put some real thought into this and write whatever ideas I can come up with.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783
    IS-THIS-NIGGA-s3gs2e.jpg
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017
    Yes I am @Hecatom wanna fight about it?
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,174
    The fighting game genre is fine as it is, to be honest. But despite that, what would you like to see be implemented in future fighting games? I'm curious.
    Twitter: @YuriAkushon | XBL: Yuri Action
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,140
    I'd like to see fighters take more risks. Seriously, if I have to be frank, Revelator has been the best fighting game I've played recently. It's wonderfully polished and well executed. The game is fun to play and watch at a high level. It has a lot of interesting mechanics and fully fleshed out characters that just click with their moveset. Same thing happened with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax. I also revisited Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Melty Blood, and some of the earlier 2D Capcom games. All of these games I had a blast playing, moreso than any recent fighter lately. Then I find myself asking, "Why? Why can't I put these games down?" and then I realized that they have something about them that aren't only unique but hasn't been seen yet. Look at Akatsuki Blitzkampf. A fast paced SF esque game with parries, parries that are night and day compared to parries in other fighters. The game's surface was barely discovered though as it didn't have that much of a fanbase, which is unfortunate. But it was different, which I liked.

    A lot of people are already bemoaning SF5 and EVO hasn't even come around yet. Is it SF fatigue? Same thing with KI and MKX. I'm not impressed. It's interesting.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the genre. I just would like to see things get shakken up a little that's all. Something that gives a refreshing take on the genre. I haven't fully realized thought out the ideas I have. Still thinking on it.
    Eirokaj wrote: »
    The fighting game genre is fine as it is, to be honest. But despite that, what would you like to see be implemented in future fighting games? I'm curious.

  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 765
    It would interesting to see something really unique show up. It's not we would have stop playing more traditional games if it did. There has been very little experimentation lately.

    Also, As far as traditional fighters go I think there really needs to be some more new IP's coming out.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,174
    edited June 2016
    Gave Verdict Guilty a shot. Here are my early thoughts;

    + A simplistic, 4-button layout fighting game with easy to learn controls.
    + Reminiscent of Capcom's Street Fighter 2 games.
    + Minso with those cute legs~

    - Currently lacks online multiplayer.
    - Training Mode is practically useless (no essential training options, only CPU). You're honestly better off on using Versus Mode for practicing.
    - Needs push-back on hit and block. You can pretty much ToD your opponent simply by holding forward and pressing the quick punch button repeatedly.
    - How the knockdown mechanic works in this game is very wonky. If you cause a knockdown, the opponent will simply re-stand instantly, therefore extending your combo.
    - During a late jumping attack before touching the ground will make the player remain in jumping position for a noticeable amount of frames (and it also makes the player invulnerable to certain attacks as well).
    - Apparently throws whiffs on crouching opponents(?)
    - There's slight input lag, especially when going for throws. Addendum, the player can input quick punch into heavy punch and get a throw as an alternative.

    Overall, the game seriously needs to be balanced if it want to be played from a competitive sense.
    Twitter: @YuriAkushon | XBL: Yuri Action
  • QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,295
    Can someone link me to whatever this smash drama is at CEO?
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783
    Anyone knows what game is this?

    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,174
    It's called Dragoon Might.
    Twitter: @YuriAkushon | XBL: Yuri Action
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,985
    edited June 2016
    Fighting games genre worst enemy is gaming press, and FGC itself.

    For starter Fighter don't need to innovate (though its welcomed). What they need to do is stopped relying on Community to explain their games and their function, take a page from ASW book. GGX reavalotr is prime example how tutorial should be done, NRS, Namco been catching up on the ball. The only other fighters I can think of is KI3 and skull girls. But then we have Examu and frenchbread do piss poor to nothing (though frenchbread seem to have those Japanese Uniel video, but this was when they partner up with ASW so I wouldn't be surprise if they pushed for that).

    Their also the fact Westerm gaming press is pure shit when talking about fighting games, out side of Maximmilion ( necessary evil), we have gaming press doing one of the following.

    Poor review on game,
    Poor coverage
    Poor Advertising.

    Fuck out of here saying you want new innovative fighters, we've been getting those since the genre started but no one bother with them because they just want the same stuff. never stepping out of their comfort zone.

    Were were you guys when games like Anarchy reign, Urban Reign, J star victory, One Piece burning Blood, Rise of Incarnates, Wartech(senko no ronde), Dragon Ball super sonic warriors, Lethal league, Power stone, Seran Kagure Esti-versus.If you want something new then why no stop looking for the same thing and exploring your options?
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,110 mod
    edited June 2016
    Eirokaj wrote: »
    Gave Verdict Guilty a shot. Here are my early thoughts;

    + A simplistic, 4-button layout fighting game with easy to learn controls.
    + Reminiscent of Capcom's Street Fighter 2 games.
    + Minso with those cute legs~

    - Currently lacks online multiplayer.
    - Training Mode is practically useless (no essential training options, only CPU). You're honestly better off on using Versus Mode for practicing.
    - Needs push-back on hit and block. You can pretty much ToD your opponent simply by holding forward and pressing the quick punch button repeatedly.
    - How the knockdown mechanic works in this game is very wonky. If you cause a knockdown, the opponent will simply re-stand instantly, therefore extending your combo.
    - During a late jumping attack before touching the ground will make the player remain in jumping position for a noticeable amount of frames (and it also makes the player invulnerable to certain attacks as well).
    - Apparently throws whiffs on crouching opponents(?)
    - There's slight input lag, especially when going for throws. Addendum, the player can input quick punch into heavy punch and get a throw as an alternative.

    Overall, the game seriously needs to be balanced if it want to be played from a competitive sense.

    Took a peek onto the Steam forums for the game and it sure doesn't look like the developer knows how fighting games should work beyond the most basic things.

    @Eirokaj any chance you can record video of some of the busted shit?
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,174
    edited June 2016
    d3v wrote: »
    Took a peek onto the Steam forums for the game and it sure doesn't look like the developer knows how fighting games should work beyond the most basic things.

    @Eirokaj any chance you can record video of some of the busted shit?

    Yeah, I'm currently working on it now. I should have it up later today.

    - During a late jumping attack before touching the ground will make the player remain in jumping position for a noticeable amount of frames (and it also makes the player invulnerable to certain attacks as well).
    Never mind about this one, I should have explored it a bit more before posting. Although the player will remain in jumping position a certain amount of time, they can still be hit out of it (and is blockable as well).
    Post edited by Yuri_AcTN on
    Twitter: @YuriAkushon | XBL: Yuri Action
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,174
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,386
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Anyone knows what game is this?


    What the hell that game had interactables looong before Injustice/MKX!
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

    SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,985
    edited July 2016
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Anyone knows what game is this?


    What the hell that game had interactables looong before Injustice/MKX!

    Correction NRS during midway days was doing interactable way before MKX/ injustice use them. MK4/64/Gold was their first attempt.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783
    @LordWilliam1234
    I'm going to design a fighting game for all you ninjas calling for "tighter execution" for combos. My game is going to have 0.5 frame links and every time you drop a combo you lose 50 health. Would that be demanding enough for you?

    I think that since you have a scrub mode on your game, you could also add something like this for a hardcore mode :rofl:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Lab Cat Joined: Posts: 22,386
    Hecatom wrote: »
    I think that since you have a scrub mode on your game, you could also add something like this for a hardcore mode :rofl:

    That's not a bad idea.

    The downside though is that VGFC's combo system is extremely open ended so it's not really possible to determine what's a dropped combo or not...but I'll look into what I can do. At the very least maybe I could do something where motions are stupidly complicated on top of every link being 1 frame or something.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Zeku | Smash 4: Toon Link Blazblue: Kokonoe
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)
Sign In or Register to comment.