FGD Lounge: for general fighting game discussions that aren't thread worthy

Comments

• Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,086
    edited August 2016
    Why rebalance MK9 when you could just play MKX? It has GGPO netcode and dev support on PS4, and from what I hear, PC support soon.

And everyone bitches about 3S balance, but no one plays 4th strike on Fightcade. Maybe it's shit, idk, but there seems to be very little interest in playing hacks.
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,436
    edited August 2016
    Why rebalance MK9 when you could just play MKX? It has GGPO netcode and dev support on PS4, and from what I hear, PC support soon.

MKX & MK9 are two completely different games and there're people out there who want to play MK9 without the broken mess.
    Eirokaj wrote: »
    Good to know people aren't too open-minded on giving a community's project a chance before bashing it.

Right! Like nobody in here except @NeverYouMind said anything positive about this project. Just shitting on it from the gate.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2016
    Weeaboo wrote: »
    Have any of you guys played MK9 on a competitive level?

have you ever played a competitively game seriously? you rock what ever it takes to win,(within the confines of the game). If can't handle the competition or game is not your cup of tea, play another game.

But if want to play say game then "git gud".
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    edited August 2016
    keo-bas wrote: »
    Have any of you guys played MK9 on a competitive level?
    -Snip-

I'll mark that as a No.
  • Pokemon123Pokemon123 Joined: Posts: 237
    so how was the comp scene for marvel before mvc2? May have just been the era they were released in but barely able to find anything about it.
    aspiring 3s player.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,117 mod
    edited August 2016
    Don't know where this hate coming from, but oh well.

The thing is, the mainline FGC has never really been open to this kind of modding. The prevailing mentality has always been to play whatever it is that the devs put out as the standard, competitive version (usually the arcade version). Anything broken or unbalanced was simply accepted unless it was stuff that actually froze the game or crashed it. The idea was that anyone who complained or wanted stuff nerfed, banned, etc. was a weaker player, or scrub who was suggesting something detrimental to the metagame in the long run. Hence any "rebalance" attempts, even official ones haven't been well received, case in point Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix which died a quiet death after most of the scene stuck to classic Super Turbo instead of HDR.
    d3v wrote: »

The thing is, the mainline FGC has never really been open to this kind of modding. The prevailing mentality has always been to play whatever it is that the devs put out as the standard, competitive version (usually the arcade version). Anything broken or unbalanced was simply accepted unless it was stuff that actually froze the game or crashed it. The idea was that anyone who complained or wanted stuff nerfed, banned, etc. was a weaker player, or scrub who was suggesting something detrimental to the metagame in the long run. Hence any "rebalance" attempts, even official ones haven't been well received, case in point Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix which died a quiet death after most of the scene stuck to classic Super Turbo instead of HDR.

Well as far as I know there have only three revision of popular FGs: HDR ( a rebalance of ST) 4Th Strike (a rebalance of 3S) & UMK3: Jugg Hack & UMK3: TE ( a rebalance of UMK3).

2 out of the 3 were poorly received because of how perfect or balance the original game played ( I will never in any arguments I have with someone say that 3s or ST were imbalance or broken, because its completely not true.)

But in regards to UMK3 this is not the case... Jab infinites, noob saibot, etc. As far as playability goes, it need a "rebalance" to be tournament playable. Now I can't say in the same breath that MK9 was as broken as UMK3, but having input bug, P1 Advantage, Meter drain glitch, etc didn't help its case.

I wouldn't go as far & call REO, Pig of the Hut, Lord of The Fly, & 16-Bit weak or scruby player because they are helping in rebalance of MK9 with MK9: Trilogy Edition.

You SRK guys might not respect this modding of a official game, but could at least respect the community as whole on what they're trying to achieve.

edited August 2016

Well as far as I know there have only three revision of popular FGs: HDR ( a rebalance of ST) 4Th Strike (a rebalance of 3S) & UMK3: Jugg Hack & UMK3: TE ( a rebalance of UMK3).

2 out of the 3 were poorly received because of how perfect or balance the original game played ( I will never in any arguments I have with someone say that 3s or ST were imbalance or broken, because its completely not true.)

This shows an extreme lack of knowledge of the games in question.

ST had multiple lopsided match ups (Ryu vs Honda was a 9:1 that the latter struggled to climb). 3S had its own balance issues with 4 characters clearly dominating the rest of the cast. And a little less than half of the rest being somewhat viable, but not really. Chun is probably as bad as Noob (multiple 7:3 matchups in her favor with no bad matchups).

ST had multiple lopsided match ups (Ryu vs Honda was a 9:1 that the latter struggled to climb). 3S had its own balance issues with 4 characters clearly dominating the rest of the cast. And a little less than half of the rest being somewhat viable, but not really. Chun is probably as bad as Noob (multiple 7:3 matchups in her favor with no bad matchups).

So 3s & ST need a rebalance to be playable?
  • thiagoeisthiagoeis Just press the buttons Joined: Posts: 662
    Pokemon123 wrote: »
    so how was the comp scene for marvel before mvc2? May have just been the era they were released in but barely able to find anything about it.

I second this question. I've been curious about this for a while now.
    High level salty play

- I try to play:
    MvC:I: Reality-Ultron/Chun, Time-Ultron/Chun, Time-Cap.Marvel/Ryu, ?-Venom/?
    DBZ: Trunks/Piccolo/Yamcha
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Doom/Strider, Taskmaster/Chun/Hawkeye, Task/Doom/Hawk, point Hawkeye and point Vergil (troll) teams
    SFV: Alex, Guile and Ryu (CFN id: trakkerzorg)

Other games:
    - I play 4fun or when someone asks:
    GGXrd: Slayer
    SFxT: Combinations of Poison, Jin, Ryu, Vega(Claw), Yoshimitsu, Guile and sometimes Chun
    MSH: Psylocke and Spider-Man
    MvC: Gambit, Spider-Man, Ryu, Strider. Trolls with Zangief, Venom and O. Hulk
    Super Turbo/HDR: Guile, Vega(Claw)
    3rd Strike: Akuma, Ryu. Trolls with Alex and Twelve
    USFIV: Vega(Claw), Ryu. Fools around with Seth and Poison

- Stuff that I should practice more but I don't:
    DOA5LR: Kasumi
    MvC2: WarMachine/IronMan/Doom. Also weird teams with Rogue, Gambit, Ken, Akuma and other mid tiers
    CvS2: A-Guile/Ryu/Vega, A-Terry/Ken/Vega
    KOF XIII: Terry/King/Kim
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,374 mod

HDR was a new version of SF2. 4th Strike was some random dude who decided that the problem with 3S was the lack of combos.

So the answer is no, neither game needed it and the tier lists have shifted from where they were 5 years ago. If w are still finding things for those games, then i' d be incredibly surprised if the MRS people had truly explored MK9 to the fullest.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • NrsFightingGameFanNrsFightingGameFan Joined: Posts: 1
    edited September 2016

MKX and MK9 have completely different metas. The games couldn't be more different if they tried. MKX is centered around explosive offense due to how powerful mobility, jumping attacks, and mixups are within the game. Also, the game is drenched in armor. MK9 is more traditional based; classic footsies play a much bigger role, practically no setplay, and defense is more inline with the offense.
    Post edited by NrsFightingGameFan on
  • AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 414
    edited August 2016

Not to be playable--because the FGC rolls with the punches--but certainly to be anything close to "balanced". It's either dishonest or ignorant to pretend otherwise, and it's certainly dishonest to pretend "playable" and "balanced" are interchangeable. MMPR:FE was also "playable", but no one can argue Ivan Ooze was "balanced".

Alegretto wrote: »
    Can you guys think of any normals/specials in a fighting game that are more plus on block than on hit? I feel like there must be some, but I can't come up with any atm.

Anyhoo; are there no examples that come to mind, then?
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa

;_; it's been so long since I've played MBAA
    edited September 2016

Had they been released in this day and age, scrubs would be screaming for balance patches for these games. I mean, IIRC there was a stretch where Chun/Yun were just about winning every 3S tournament.
    thiagoeis wrote: »
    Pokemon123 wrote: »

I second this question. I've been curious about this for a while now.

@Spider-Dan (if he's still posting in the forums) is probably the best person to ask.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,785
    Pertho wrote: »

HDR was a new version of SF2. 4th Strike was some random dude who decided that the problem with 3S was the lack of combos.

So the answer is no, neither game needed it and the tier lists have shifted from where they were 5 years ago. If w are still finding things for those games, then i' d be incredibly surprised if the MRS people had truly explored MK9 to the fullest.

TBH, HDR wan't bad, the problem boils down that the old capcom communtiy don't really like balance changes on their games, regardless of the quality of it.
    Now 4th strike, that was some dumb shit, like this mk9 rebalance nonsense
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,346
    Hacks should be reserved for outright stupid mechanics (SSBB Tripping)
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,808
    I don't support these kind of hacks because players should accept the game the way it is. If you don't like it move on to something else.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing someone pick up the rights to Clay Fighter and try to make something decent?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    Ideas for broken fighting games that are still playable?

HnK
    Sengoku Basara X
    Vanilla MvC3?

What else?
    X-Men vs Street Fighter
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    ilitirit wrote: »

HnK
    Sengoku Basara X
    Vanilla MvC3?

What else?

Marvel 2 should count?

JJBA Heritage for the Future, Petshop all day?

Chaos Breaker maybe?
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    Any body have the whole "8 buttons is dick" mantra. Can't seem to find it.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,374 mod
    8 buttons became the truth once recording and playback became things you could map.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Any body have the whole "8 buttons is dick" mantra. Can't seem to find it.

Ask in the Tech Talk lounge.
  • crash_and_burncrash_and_burn We live inside a dream ... Joined: Posts: 3,031
    I know that in the grand scheme, whether here on SRK or of course the FGC in general, my opinion may not matter, however, in the random event that someone cares, or at Capcom reads these threads, I just want to state for the record, as a Bison main for 22 years, if they neglect Bison in SFV and do not buff him in a fair way, I am effectively done with this fucking game.
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,511

HnK
    Sengoku Basara X
    Vanilla MvC3?

What else?

TMNT Tournament Fighters(SNES version)
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,066 mod
    Veserius wrote: »

HnK
    Sengoku Basara X
    Vanilla MvC3?

What else?

That's like ST broken though. Which is far far less broken then anything listed already.
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,511
    edited September 2016
    Veserius wrote: »

HnK
    Sengoku Basara X
    Vanilla MvC3?

What else?

That's like ST broken though. Which is far far less broken then anything listed already.

i mean it doesn't have air dashing(well minus wingnut), but it's a game of dumb tech killing people in one grab/combo/unblockable loops.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • SkullboySkullboy Drinking With Skeletons. Joined: Posts: 12,458
    You know, I've always found it weird that I main such a varied mix of characters from different fighters. At one point I thought grapplers might be my favorite archetype, but then in another game I'll play a rushdown and want nothing to do with any of the grapplers at all. One could argue this is because of how EXTREMELY these titles vary from fighting game to fighting game, and that's definitely a part of it, but....honestly? I think I've narrowed it down to the possibility that I just love characters that force you to block. Block a lot.

Tekken? I play Jin, with a side of King and Dragunov.

Blazblue? Tager and Noel.

Street Fighter? Bison.

Guilty Gear? Potemkin and A.B.A.

People say I push a lot of buttons when I play, and I really do. But it works for most of the characters I play, and that's why I do it. I wanna get inside your head as a player and force YOU to make mistakes, then capitalize. That's when I'm having the most fun. Characters with dat Yomi factor are always so fun to me. Bison's always been a character I've played in this fasion, and even though he's not at his best in SFV, I love how much of a monster he becomes once you're stuck blocking his bullshit. Even the high tiers like Ryu and Necalli have no choice but to cower in fear, knowing one wrong move will send a fourth of your health down the drain.

That's why Tager is my favorite grappler of all time, and one of my favorite fighting game characters in general. He's intimidating as hell to fight, and one minor mistake against him can turn into you being a hit away from death. I realize most grapplers work this way, but Tager is different. The amount of damage you can end up taking is ridiculous.

Didn't mean to rant about pretty much nothing, but I've always tried to pinpoint why I like the characters I like and it makes more sense the more I actually think about it.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,742
    You know, I've always found it weird that I main such a varied mix of characters from different fighters. At one point I thought grapplers might be my favorite archetype, but then in another game I'll play a rushdown and want nothing to do with any of the grapplers at all. One could argue this is because of how EXTREMELY these titles vary from fighting game to fighting game, and that's definitely a part of it, but....honestly? I think I've narrowed it down to the possibility that I just love characters that force you to block. Block a lot.

Tekken? I play Jin, with a side of King and Dragunov.

Blazblue? Tager and Noel.

Street Fighter? Bison.

Guilty Gear? Potemkin and A.B.A.

People say I push a lot of buttons when I play, and I really do. But it works for most of the characters I play, and that's why I do it. I wanna get inside your head as a player and force YOU to make mistakes, then capitalize. That's when I'm having the most fun. Characters with dat Yomi factor are always so fun to me. Bison's always been a character I've played in this fasion, and even though he's not at his best in SFV, I love how much of a monster he becomes once you're stuck blocking his bullshit. Even the high tiers like Ryu and Necalli have no choice but to cower in fear, knowing one wrong move will send a fourth of your health down the drain.

That's why Tager is my favorite grappler of all time, and one of my favorite fighting game characters in general. He's intimidating as hell to fight, and one minor mistake against him can turn into you being a hit away from death. I realize most grapplers work this way, but Tager is different. The amount of damage you can end up taking is ridiculous.

Didn't mean to rant about pretty much nothing, but I've always tried to pinpoint why I like the characters I like and it makes more sense the more I actually think about it.

I'm kind of the same. I'll think I have an archetype, and I do have certain types of characters I find awesome, but then realize I don't actually play them in a lot of games. If you ask me who the characters I would go for in SFIV, I would say Hugo and Dudley. Who did I play? Sagat. Okay, so I obviously like long reach and fireballs. So naturally I mainly play Big Band in Skullgirls, because a slow as fuck character with no projectile is clearly in that mold. But they're both big dudes, right? So obviously I like big buff dudes. So naturally my #1 pick in KoF is Athena, and in Guilty Gear it's either Zappa or Bridget. I've narrowed it down to me being a style over substance kind of guy. If you have a move, particularly a super, I think looks awesome I will at the very least make a token attempt to learn that character. Which explains everyone but Athena. I just really like Athena and I have no idea why.

Also, am I the only one who will go into the "fighting" tag in the Steam Store and consider buying them all just in the hopes I will find something so abysmal it becomes hilarious?
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
    edited October 2016
    My pattern is pretty simple:
    3S: Chun
    ST: Claw, O.Gat, Ryu
    AE: Akuma
    SFV: Nash, Ryu, Cammy
    Xrd: Sol (looking into Millia)
    AC+R: Faust
    KOF02UM: K' / Kasumi / Nameless
    KOF13: EX Iori / Mr. Karate / Benimaru
    Melee: Sheik, Fox, Marth
    Brawl: MK
    VSav: Zabel
    Post edited by Komatik on
    Does VSav count as a dumb broken game that's still playable?
    Does that mean you running K'/Nakoruru/Mature or K'/Nakoruru/Leona in KoFXIV?

Don't have a PS4 :/
    Komatik wrote: »

Don't have a PS4 :/

Time to get one then (or beg for a PC version).
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017

I don't know if I could say it's dumb or broken but I will definitely say some of its mechanics or rather controls are dated. Most notable tech hitting/push blocking Like the fuck is up with that shit?

I don't know if I could say it's dumb or broken but I will definitely say some of its mechanics or rather controls are dated. Most notable tech hitting/push blocking Like the fuck is up with that shit?

I think Vampire Savior is game design intentionally for arcades in mind. its command seemed sensible with
    piano. Also wasn't a community decision to set turbo 3? maybe developer didn't think turbo 3 would be standard.

Seikuken Disciple
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    edited October 2016
    Not in my mind. VSav is far from dumb or broken. It's just very difficult so low levels of play (ie. when I play) looks very scrubby.

Anyone here play on SupArc? Since the most recent update, the english version doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone have a workaround?
    edited October 2016
    My character pattern is inconsistent so I always have hard time finding a character. I'm still trying to find what are my actual skills as player.

I can do execution demand stuff but not in long session,
    I tend to be more passive and do hard reads alot.

I either rely on traps, command grabs, unlockables, or tricks to do my
    offense.

or use commands/ tools that blow up offense like Counter/parry, Reversal commands or Armour commands, or projectile nullifies.

Post edited by keo-bas on
    Seikuken Disciple
    My pattern is to play the whoever is the game's designated grappler or power character. NRS games, UMvC3, Arcana Heart and 3D fighters are the only time I break this pattern.