Tips for starting up a local scene for fighting games.

HezronHezron Joined: Posts: 26
Me and a friend got the ok from a local comic shop to host weekly get togethers and we're going to try and start up our local fighting game scene. We're noobish at this stuff do you all have any tips for us?

Comments

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Midwest Decepticon Joined: Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head:

Reach out to your local community........you can use Regional Matchmaking.
    Try not to conflict with other weeklies.
    Make sure you have enough setups and games
    Make sure you can have enough if you are going to do top player payouts.

http://dromstruction.com/how-to-start-foster-or-join-a-fighting-game-scene-in-your-area

Here's a good article on how to start a scene..................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Hezron said:
    Me and a friend got the ok from a local comic shop to host weekly get togethers and we're going to try and start up our local fighting game scene. We're noobish at this stuff do you all have any tips for us?
    Prepare to be let down by people
    Bug people incessantly about stuff. A person you call is a lot more likely to show up than someone you send out a mass email to.
    Be friendly to a fault, don't turn away people you don't like (unless you literally can't stand them)Getting people to play the game is the first step. Getting them to like it is the next one. Don't overwhelm them with advice on how to play. People that don't want to hang out with you won't want to play games with you. Don't be a dick.Advertise the shit out of everything you do.
    Don't trust people you don't really know. Even 2-3 months isn't always enough. Some people are only trying to take advantage of you, and will steal or break stuff. Just don't give people the chance. I know lots of people who have gotten burned this way.Try to inundate them with game resources: tutorials, websites, frame data, combo lists, etcetera. Let people know that the information is out there, if they want it.
    Post edited by Kikuichimonji on
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.