Upcoming Site Improvements

inkblotinkblot Alpha AssistJoined: Posts: 677 admin
edited February 2013 in Shoryuken.com Feedback
Hi guys,

Thanks for providing feedback on the migration.  As we all know, there have been some bumps in the road, but we're committed to improving things.  Despite the hiccups, I'm happy to report that the migration has succeeded in it's overall goal, which is to improve the site's performance and reliability.  The new forums load faster than before and we've eliminated the pesky down times and crashes of our old setup.

Here are some of the improvements we'll be implementing over the next two weeks or so:

In Progress
  • Restore the recent/hot post header at the top of the forum.
  • Allow users to delete their own posts
  • Support for [img] bbcodes
  • Fixed http://youtube.com/watch?v= bbcodes
  • Fix the ability to re-show categories that are manually hidden on the front page
Fixed
  • 2/19/2012: Quadrupled the character limit.
  • 2/20/2012: Fix Strategy Zone
  • 2/21/2012: Allow expand/collapse of major sections of the forum front page with the - icon in the upper right of each section.
  • 2/25/2012: Fix redirects from shoryuken.com/forums to forums.shoryuken.com.
  • 2/26/2012: A dark theme, with a selector to choose between light and dark themes.  We will fix the white flash when loading the dark theme pages
  • 2/27/2012: Bigger Avatar size, with support for animated GIFs.  We will fix the blurry scaling of the avatars.

Thanks for your patience as we continue to iron out the speedbumps.

UPDATE: I'll use this space to keep you guys notified of everything we're working on and check them off as they're completed.

Post edited by inkblot on
Oy.
·

Comments

• zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭
    Character limit not on the agenda? Goodbye combo threads. =(
    我道
    ·
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then fix notifications and basic BBC code functions. I tried posting an image and no go with the [IMG] [/IMG] code. 
    STOMP!
    ·
  • The MartianThe Martian The Other M. Joined: Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and one thing that doesn't seem to be working is putting images into spoilers. Just in case no one noticed. 
    "Power is not will. It is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    WiiU ID: IIMartianII
    XBL: III Martian III

My Tumblr.
    3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462
    ·
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and one thing that doesn't seem to be working is putting images into spoilers. Just in case no one noticed. 
    Yeah, that happened to me. 
    STOMP!
    ·
  • CiscoCisco better than you Joined: Posts: 3,351
    • Notifications
    • the quote boxes
    • an archive for my great old threads.
    The Greatest Poster of Shoryuken - Undefeated in Religion threads
    ·
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,386 ✭✭
    Restoring the ability to disable signatures would be nice, too.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
    ·
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigs?
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ·
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel Mr. Contrarian™ Joined: Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Tapatalk going to be reintegrated?
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"
    GT: IX Phantom IV
    PSN: PhantomSRK
    3DS: 2981 - 6233 - 6740
    NNID: PhantomSRK
    ファントム
    ·
  • ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Captain 'Murica Walking Wiki Joined: Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    woot much better priority list now
    UMvC3: Cap (SS) | Dante (jam) | Vergil (RS) and Vergil (RS) | Morrigan (meter) | Dante (Jam)
    SC5: Astaroth
    SC4: Ivy, Rock

·
  • The MartianThe Martian The Other M. Joined: Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how exactly do "levels" work?

"Power is not will. It is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    WiiU ID: IIMartianII
    XBL: III Martian III

My Tumblr.
    3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462
    ·
  • ThiefZeroThiefZero <YL3 Joined: Posts: 79
    edited February 2013
    The forum itself is way too stretched out, the header on top is not in centre. It looks weird with the rest of the page sticking out on the far right. Also, on the Forum Page, you are being squashed with the chaotic view of not only ALL the different forums but also all the SUB forums. Figured I'd be able to hide it, I clicked the cog wheel and selected hide. This actually removes the very Forum section!! How the hell do I get it back (couldn't find anything useful in my profile/settings page)? Why not have a clickable section for each game, and when you click it stuff expands. If that's too difficult to implement atleast hide the sub forums (we dont NEED to have ALL the characters listed on the MAIN forum page).

So for example:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Forums
    -> General Discussion
    -> Newbie Dojo
    -> Character Discussion
    ----> All characters contained by Character Discussion above

To clean things up even more, you can have only a header for each game, and have those sub categories expand. Experiment with it. You guys have a lot of games on the forums.

If I have said anything that is already possible in some way, please tell me. I might have overlooked things, but also please understand that browsing this very site has become a nightmare for me. It's very unintuitive and chaotic.

Also, the site is so incredibly white because there is no width limit. It simply stretches out as far as it can. Seeing as how you there's probably a dark background, if you introduced a width limit the side borders of the site would remain solid dark. This would effectively reduce the brightness of the site, whilst at the same time making the forum nicer and easier to browse. Reading text will be nicer because it'll be more stacked as opposed to being huge long lines. Information gets more concentrated instead of being spread out, this reduces the overall chaoticness of the website.

I hope this'll help.

To sum it up:
    • Clickable forum headers which expand to see sub forums contained. Click again to collapse.
    • How do you get forums hidden with the cogwheel back? (though this "functionality" might be best removed if you apply the point above)
    • Set a width limit. (hopefully this will center the SRK Header and reduce overall brightness, if not; Center header and introduce darker elements)
    • Show how many likes/agrees/disagrees a post has without having to hover over it.
    • There's probably more, I might add things later.

edit: I'm running Firefox 19.0

Post edited by ThiefZero on
    ·
  • Raz0rRaz0r 私は不承認 Joined: Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we add "make sweet love" to that list?
    This is offensive.
    ·
  • The DukeThe Duke Joined: Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back the old button icons.
    ·
  • Time pantsTime pants Maybe Evil Ryu is just misunderstood? Joined: Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I've noticed that when I hit the "Back" and "Forward" buttons on my mobile browser, I am always taken to the very last page of the topic, regardless of which page I was previously on.

Edit: Oh, bringing back spoiler headers would fix a lot of problems the transition caused in the combo/strategy threads.
    Post edited by Time pants on
    ·
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    see? i got  likes from my comment and i wasnt even notified about it 
    Post edited by Mr.PaVy-RD on
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
  • AntonioAntonio You are defeated Joined: Posts: 135
    i hope for is that you guys can restore all the youtube videos because so much important information was lost in the transition  :(
    ·
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭
    2nded for Tapatalk
    ·
  • M4thaM4tiksM4thaM4tiks Joined: Posts: 4
    can we have tapatak reintergrated, have xentrader back, wish there was a more organized way for the forums 
    ·
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭
    I want keyboard shortcuts to work in posts. Example: ctrl + b, ctrl + i, etc. This should also allow us to open notifications in new tabs by using ctrl + click, or right clicking, and pressing new tab (which doesn't work now). :(
    ·
  • JetpackJesus808JetpackJesus808 I wish Lee was in SFxT Joined: Posts: 847
    Are signatures and other missing parts of the Profile editor going to be fixed soon?
    UMvC3: Skrull/Joe/Akuma  TTT2: Purple/Pheonix  SFxT: Poison/Raven, learning Steve  AE2012: Rose, Sagat
    XBL: JetpackJesus808

·
  • SRKFADCSRKFADC But He's a Guy Joined: Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭
    need that tapatalk!
    @SRKFADC follow me on Twitter!
    Ultra:Yun/M.Bison
    ·
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, thanks for keeping us updated.
    ·
  • d3vd3v The Grumpy Machine. Joined: Posts: 26,343 mod
    edited February 2013
    zUkUu said:
    Character limit not on the agenda? Goodbye combo threads. =(
    Just start a new thread with the post split into multiple posts. Use this as a chance to organize instead and have individual posts for individual combo types (normal, counter-hit, etc.) or chracter specific combos, and then link to those posts in the first post.

Are signatures and other missing parts of the Profile editor going to be fixed soon?

Siganture editing is disabled for non-moderators until they can figure out how to block images and video embeds in sigs.

Post edited by d3v on
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • TheGamingToolTheGamingTool Joined: Posts: 43
    Looking forward to these improvements! Thank you! :D
    ·
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Rainmaker Joined: Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Please bring back an old school blue theme...................
    Post edited by Geese Pants on
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • Nucking Futs!Nucking Futs! Joined: Posts: 1,210
    edited February 2013
    How about bringing back the feedback rating in the Trading Outlet? I've lost ~50 feedbacks (all positive) with the last 2 major overhauls. I'm sure the peeps that have more feedback are more po'ed then me, LOL!

Also a revised notification option so I can choose to be notified once per thread or once for every new post.
    Post edited by Nucking Futs! on
    - Jimmy

Current fav's the Hori VLX Diamond! Like the MickeyD's commercial..."I'm lovin it"
    ·
  • savaii64savaii64 HYPA POM! Joined: Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    Sweet! Good to see bigger AVs are in the works!
    Avatar Request Thread | Play HoN with me!
    "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
    ·
  • SynikaLSynikaL Melee Prophet Joined: Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭
    The ad that plays automatically in the top right corner (currently running the M&M Valentine commercial) is going to force me to quit this site. Is there a way to turn it off in Safari?
    "Grandad, this food is destructive!"
    "Boy, what is wrong with you? This food is your culture."
    "Then the culture's destructive."

-The Boondocks
    ·
    Thanks for the character limit increase! Now I can edit my combo threads again! <3
    我道
    ·
  • bROGbROG Bonafeezy on XBL! Add me for Umvc3! Joined: Posts: 128
    Twitch.tv embedding? For streams and such?
    Notations / buttons for combo threads.
    Youtube embedding.
    TAPATALK app integration.

Modding bROG to help out these forums.
    ·
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Bit of a dislike so far for me. Size is weird, searching for old stuff doesn't work, lost all feedback.... some tool bar buttons none responsive (or just not there anymore).

Won't even know if someone responds...since the notifications don't work either.  

Site was cool the way it was. 

Post edited by Highlandfireball on
    ·
  • masonmason Joined: Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    Everything is wrong. Layout looks terrible, nothing works, character forums are in the most random places (lol at Lars SFxT character forum), old links are broken. 

What was wrong with it before?
    Laughter 7: Well, this is strange. At the GodsGarden that just went down, Momochi picked Dhalsim (beat Daigo 10-8 too!). Is this mofo ever coming back to Gouki?!
    ·
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then fix notifications and basic BBC code functions. I tried posting an image and no go with the [IMG] [/IMG] code. 
    The last forum this didn't even work properly so why did you start using it now? 
    ಥ_ಥ ~ ಠ益ಠ ~ ಠ_ಠ ~ ಠ_ರೃ ~ ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ ~ F-1
    Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist - Out Now On BluRay/DVD! - http://www.facebook.com/streetfighterAF
    ·
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,771
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, that you're going to fix the youtube BB codes. It woulda been a huge pain to completely redo the Thor forums.

I hope you also bring back the :atk: :uf: :l: :rdp: pictures, too. Those were useful, and without them, all the combo threads look bad.
    ·
  • magocybermagocyber RAZA DE BRONCE Joined: Posts: 298
    on my selling thread I can't no longer edit my first post, but I can edit the rest of my posts
    ·
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please fix quotes, notifications, and spoilers (doesn't show spoiler= info) and I will be satisfied.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK Of 2014 .
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

XBL -> SoVi3t666
    ·
    There seems to be a glitch. If I edit the first post of my Paul Combo Thread, it seems I can move it to another characters sub-forum.
    我道
    ·
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    What's the point of the Mortal Kombat section still having all the characters on the front page when nobody posts on the forums anymore or even play the game? Hardly warrants such convinience IMO for a dead game, just takes space unnecessarily, even Super Turbo would benefit from it more than MK.

BTW can you get the page selector to the top part of site too? Currently it's only at the bottom so you have to scroll all the way down to choose a page, tedious. Also the custom comments under the user names are still kind of messed up, mine for instance looks silly when it's displaced like that. ALSO also, the "mark all forums read" button could be placed somewhere else than the user control gear over there maybe.
    Post edited by yomipower on
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
    ·
  • SaitsuSaitsu Dark Magic Never Looked So Good Joined: Posts: 21,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't agree MK is a dead game, anyone who's worth a damn in MK would likely rather post in TYM anyway.
    GT: TrinityRagnarok: Dead End
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 UMvC3: Thor/Doom/Ammy
    SFxT: Cammy/Paul, Lars/Nina, Rolento/Lili
    Injustice: Nightwing
    ·