Ultimate Guide to Cap: Combos/Tech/Resets/Set Ups/Videos/etc...

ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Captain 'Murica Walking WikiJoined: Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Captain America
This is a comprehensive living guide detailing all solo and core assisted tools for Captain America. These should provide all up to date tech and practical to fully optimized combo segments.

Version Notes [Updated - 12/25/2013]
Spoiler:

PLAYING CAP

Why Play Cap?
Spoiler:

Issues Cap Must Overcome
Spoiler:

COMBOS

Standard Solo Combos
Spoiler:

Confirm and Salvage Tips
Spoiler:

Ender Launch into Tiger Knee Shield Slash Variations
Spoiler:

Assist Extensions
Spoiler:

X-Factor Extensions
Spoiler:

Near Corner and Corner Corrections
Spoiler:
Post edited by ifbpwnstar on
UMvC3: Cap (SS) | Dante (jam) | Vergil (RS) and Vergil (RS) | Morrigan (meter) | Dante (Jam)
SC5: Astaroth
SC4: Ivy, Rock

Comments

• ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Captain 'Murica Walking Wiki Joined: Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    ADVANCED TECH

Resets
    Spoiler:

Set Ups
    Spoiler:

Move Analysis
    Spoiler:

TEAM SYNERGY

How Do I Build a Good Cap Team?
    Spoiler:

Cap's Best Shells
    Spoiler:

Cap as an Assist
    Spoiler:

THC Tech
    Spoiler:

Dynamic Team Ordering
    Spoiler:
    UMvC3: Cap (SS) | Dante (jam) | Vergil (RS) and Vergil (RS) | Morrigan (meter) | Dante (Jam)

edited December 2013
    VIDEOS

Ken mini-tutorials (vanilla, but still applies to ultimate)
    Spoiler:

Ken's Combo Exhibition
    Spoiler:

IFBPwnstars BnBs (terrible quality)
    Spoiler:

Honzo Gonzo Combos
    Spoiler:

MyNameisE Resets and TACs
    Spoiler:

Haikuu Raw Tag Combo
    Spoiler:

New thread is up, please post in here from now on. This will be stickied in place of the old thread soon.

• ken123103ken123103 You're just mad because your angry Joined: Posts: 596
    Great Thread! Wow lots of information all consolidated into one easy to read place! But I would advise using my umvc3 combo video instead of my mvc3 combo video. More up to date.
    UMvC3: Captain America, Spencer, Hawkeye

www.youtube.com/ken123103 <---- Amazing Captain America Videos, Check it out!

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    done and done.

So after EVO I've had a real change of direction on the use of characters and teams, while I don't have any ideas for Cap (as sadly he will now be moved to my B team in light of new ides) I was told of several new tech finds. A player named "Jint" (sp?) eluded to new tech and used an interesting team with Ryu fireball assist that he would run behind. I was also informed of a rumor of a near infinite block string with Taskmaster (unsure of who gets point but likely the assists are H arrow and SS). Any finds or if these players could com forward it would be awesome to add to the guide.

• jtrgmrjtrgmr Joined: Posts: 472
    edited July 2013
    <-- Jint
    I wish I had a vid for this, but I'm lazy.

I'll work on making a video of a better version of the Cap BnB when I can, and I think I accidentally came up with a new solo backthrow combo as well.
    Post edited by jtrgmr on
    Don't mind me, I'm just here.
    Working on UMvC3 tricks!
    Always willing to play puzzle games!
    Sweet, post when you can. I really wish I got a chance to play you but with all the running around I missed my shot. I saw a lot of Cap's at Evo but none really seemed to be pushing his limits, you're the only one that had a team that perplexed me and I didn't get to see enough of it (I think Infirit was playing everybody at that point...till he got 'Murica'd!).

• 3DPK3DPK Lab Rat Joined: Posts: 71
    jtrgmr wrote: »
    <-- Jint
    I wish I had a vid for this, but I'm lazy.

I'll work on making a video of a better version of the Cap BnB when I can, and I think I accidentally came up with a new solo backthrow combo as well.

Does this back throw combo build a bar? I'm literally one hit away from building a bar so I can DHC to Vergil off of first hit. New tech is always welcome!
    So...pwnstar. This might be fairly well known info and I'm actually mad at myself that it took me this long to put it into my game, BUT, I have a few hit confirms with the ol' Cap that don't build the bar to DHC into sword loops. (My last post complaining about not being able to do it from the back throw) SOOOOOO, I started using missiles to get the double charging stars bc I suck and can't get the air shield slash to pick them up and do it. I only use this for maybe two combo's that I know aren't going to build the bar and if I know the double HCS is going to kill I don't even bother. It's only useful in very specific situations but I figured it would be good to put on here. It does hurt damage on just a normal Cap BnB so as I said, I only use it for that last bit of extra meter.

Depending on how many hits you're going to do in the air either call Doom with the s.:h: or s.:s:, you even have time for a full double jump string if you call during the :s:. You need to dash after you land, after a double jump string you have to double plink to get up there in time, that is if you haven't carried to the corner yet. Don't know if you think this is actually worth anything but it has helped me get into Vergil where I couldn't before getting that much needed ToD.
    edited July 2013
    Not quite sure what you're saying but it might be what I'm about to cover. Currently my optimized BnBs with that team are:

mid - c.:l:s.:m::h::s:, sjc. u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), j. u+:h:, :s: (land), qcf+:l:, dash...
    corner - c.:l:s.:m::h::s:, neutral super jump, sjc. u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), back jump, j. u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land)...

s.:h:+:a1: (missiles), :s:, sjc.:m::h: u+:h::s: (land), dash if needed, **missiles**, s.:h:, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk: > vergil dpf+:atk::atk:

Here you are doing the missiles extension after your 2nd jump combo so you build as much meter as you can before going into sword loops. Sword loops are always the highest damage and have a chance of gaining more meter back so this has become more common for me to do unless i cant risk dropping sword loops for the kill and just do double HCS

Yup, that's what I was talking about. If I have the meter to DHC without using missiles with Cap I will save them for Vergil. I guess I need to do more testing on meter build v damage on using missiles with Cap or Vergil. Glad to see we are doing the exact same combos and it's one that I figured out on my own. The bnb you just posted will normally build me the meter I need for the DHC so I've been using the missiles for my jump confirm and charging star confirm, those are the two I have issues with building a full meter.

Just scrolled up to check and didn't see it, but what's your jump confirm combo? I'm normally option selecting j.:h: qcf+:l:or:m: for either throw or hit. From the j.qcf+:m: j.u+:h: qcf+:m: j.u+:h: qcf+:l: s.:h:+:a2:(missiles):s: then standard ender stuff. From the air qcf+:l: s.:h: qcf+:h: j.u+:h: qcf+:l: s.:h:+:a2:(missiles):s:...I just love throwing shields, feels so Cap like.
    edited July 2013
    Pretty much the same. I still get confused when I see people pull Cap's jump loops using only normals and no SS for early air confirms. Outside of salvaging a corner combo that can't be readapted with an assist, you should always be doing that air conversion. You can even super jump confirm. Typically I'll do sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:h: (land), sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:m: (land), sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:l:/:m: (land), etc...

As for the TK qcf+:l: ender. Don't feel bad if you can't hit it. While I think it's totally worth it for the meter, qcf+:l:, qcb+:h:, does a pretty good job midscreen of getting the extra little meter. I'm using a Hitbox so the TK is easy because I do a neutral jump instead of a forward, which makes it much more consistent.

It's not the TK I have a problem with. I can do those all day long. It's the spacing. I never have them far enough away for close enough. I've adapted around not being able to do it and can kill everyone but Haggar and Thor off of almost any touch so I'm not too worried about it.

I've been working on the super jump confirm and have hit it maybe a few times. I think I just need more practice timing the follow up super jumps. Glad to see you're still active on here. I thought I read that you Cap team was moved to B, which I understand. He just doesn't have the tools to be super good, just kinda good.
    Yes sadly. After EVO it was apparent this game has simply gotten out of hand. Cap is a B tier in a game with S tiers running rampant where the most common top tier team is simple TOD > into braindead incoming mix up :/. I love Cap but I realize I'm working way harder to win than the Zeros and Dantes in my local scene who get free set ups all day. I'll keep pushing Cap because I love the character and it feels good to win with him (because you have to earn it), and hopefully if we ever get that damn patch this game will have a better place for him. I will be making my main team Zero(srk)/Morri (srk)/Doom(missile) because it is the most fucked up team I can think of.

Who knows, maybe someone will break Cap. I have faith their may be some very strong flow chart pressure strings that can maybe turn the tides. Big issue is still his match ups against run away and air. I'm super eager to see what Jint has coming up soon.

The TK spacing once again is usually fixed by neutral jump and typically I stick with :m::h: u+:h::s: ender for consistency. The Hitbox gives me a major advantage in that control, including making small dashes to correct improper spacing before attempting it. But really Cap is usually on point and there's a good chance an assist extension is probably better anyway, assuming it won't hurt a DHC as it recovers.

• ErmacoroniErmacoroni Joined: Posts: 16
    edited July 2013
    My assists always get punished or get hit by normal attacks(Wesker) when try to go for a cartwheel mix-up with an assist at close range. Can you give me some advice where I can safely set up a cartwheel mix-up with assists that I use at close range? The assists I mainly use is Bolt, Cold Star and Hsien Ko assist(Golden or Non Golden).
    Post edited by Ermacoroni on
    edited July 2013
    I would say that's one of the things I complain about in Caps match ups. Wesker gunshot + assist can be very very bad for cap if they play smart to avoid being CS'd. Your best bet may not be to just go for cross up, Cap is more than just that, he has stupidly good normals in some scenarios and can create good frame traps or simply stuff moves. What you may want to do is simply vie for positioning that wesker feels obligated to break his pattern and go after you. Try these strategies:
    • Jump/super jump lots and just block and double jump respectively. If you can get above him, come down with a j.d+:h:. Simply try to just invalidate his projectile spam and make him come to you if you can't get in. With wesker you have to be careful, you never want to be underneathe him and even though j.d+:h: stuffs a lot of his stuff, his air grab and standing :s: can be a very valid threat. If you do land it or at least make him block, you have your opportunity to set up a roll + assist during the block string.
    • Go after his assist when he jumps. You may want two meter here, but if he jumps and call an assist, do your best to be within range to CS the assist and simply do CS H > Hyper CS, then cancel to a safe DHC. Without an assist to cover him, Weskers gun shot game gets much weaker and he'll have to actually fight you.
    • Use an assist that can get at him. This is a bit limited in what assists can do this but Strider is a hard counter to this.
    • Use THCs or DHCs that can punish this. Cap can't get at wesker, but other hypers can. You have Ammy. If you have 2 meter, simply do a THC and ammy's hyper should punish him and allow for Cap to combo after the hard knockdown. Strange can also punish him on reaction.
    • Try to stay right in range of his teleports when neutral and stay away from his teleports spots when committing to a move. Simply not letting him teleport away or in without risk of punish can make him have to stop once he's boxed in. If you get him in a corner, stay mid-screenish and just harass him.
    • Be VERY careful with Shield Slash. Wesker can punish this easy with a bait out whiff. If you do it make sure you are covered by an assist or that it will at least be blocked.

Given your team your best bet is patience and avoiding his gun shots till you can get above him or he comes to you. You simply have no way to lock him down easily since you have no full screen reach or anti air. Your goal is to just be patient and stay above him. If he gets above you, raw :s: is your friend.

edited July 2013
    Thanks pwnstar, I will use these strategies against my brother who uses Wesker with Vajira assist and Hawkeye anchor and Team Nemo.

Few days ago I just killed a Hawkeye assist with THC with Ammy Hyper during ranked match.

This guide is awesome :)

Thank you, and yes that is a brutal team to fight for Cap. I can't emphasis how bad Cap must have a team game plan for those match ups. The beauty is that one hit from cap can usually end those characters, so the patience in looking for the opening is key. Caps got a huge health bar for a reason, take chip until the time is right. DHC and THC tactics are a great way to fix caps issues so always keep that in mind when deciding with BnBs you do and always watch your meter.

Don't forget about rolling through wesker gun shots. be careful not do it in range of a teleport, but it can get you half way in and dodge strider. From their wesker has to make a move. So just make your opponent have to shift strategy, don't try to attack them unless you see an opening.

Good luck.

• BillBill Joined: Posts: 883 ✭✭✭
    What's the key to getting the jump qcf l after the knockdown S in the reliable bnb? Cap has a really floatly fall/jump so after I knock them down it takes a while for him to land. And when I do he seems to always jump higher than what I'm seeing the video--causing me to get the qcf L too late.
    Bill wrote: »
    What's the key to getting the jump qcf l after the knockdown S in the reliable bnb? Cap has a really floatly fall/jump so after I knock them down it takes a while for him to land. And when I do he seems to always jump higher than what I'm seeing the video--causing me to get the qcf L too late.

I'll expand a few details in the OP (As I'm adding more right now!). But always do the air enders listed in "Ender Launch into Tiger Knee Shield Slash variations". These detail which ones create optimal spacing and timing. Generally sjc:m::h: u+:h::s: is my go to ender in most cases for consistency unless I'm very sure of the hit stun from the opener wont interfere with more optimal versions.

On the actual execution, I input neutral jump, qcf+:l:. I have a Hitbox so this is very practical for me, stick/pad not so much. Neutral jump tends to make the spacing more consistent (especially with small opponents), but the standard qcf, uf+:l: will also work. j.qcf+:l: has a unique property that if you do the qcf motion before the 1st available frame that it can come out due to height restrictions, it will buffer and automatically do it for you when it can. So a perfectly timed qcf+:l: as soon as you leave the ground, will result in the perfect height.

You can also use positioning tricks such as a very quick dash forward/backwards before jumping to make any small adjustments. Typically you'll want the the launch enders with more hits, as they allow for much more time to land and adjust. If hit stun scaling is making it too tight to get the better enders, consider a less optimized 1st launch series.

edited August 2013
    This is the backthrow combo involving Strider assist that I want to share,it does 400 damage meterless
    and builds 1 bar off from a backthrow. You can also use the Ground Ender in many types of combos depending on location

Opener(Your opponent is in the corner)

Back Throw qcf+:l: s.:h: qcf+:h: :s:

Ender Launch

:m: :m: :h: :s:

Ground Ender

*Call Strider assist* j. qcf :l: *Strider hits* j.qcf :l: dash qcb+ :l: dash qcb+ :h:
    I'm finding that ender launch very tight for Strider assist to properly combo. It's do able but for consistency I've been doing less optimized combos to ensure :m::m::h: d+:h::s:. Any advice or is this likely the best solution?

edited August 2013
    I forgot to add d+ :h: after :h:

:m: :m: :h: d+:h: :s: is a better solution because Cap lands faster. After Strider knocks them down after full shield slash hit, just walk forward a little bit and just j. qcf+ :l:

Heres a combo involving Rapid Slash assist + Charging Star if you end up in the corner where you can't follow up with qcf+ :h:

Opener

qcb+ :h: "Rapid Slash assist hits" d+ :m: d+ :h: :s:

Ender Launch

:h: "backward double jump" :m: :s:

Ground Ender

"call strider assist" backward j.qcf :l: "strider hits" backward j.qcf :l: dash "qcb+ :l: qcb+ :h:

A free combo if strider assist hits , you can dash to the other side of the screen before strider assist hits if you want to do a midscreen combo instead of corner combo

Opener

"Strider assist hits airborne opponent" qcf+ :l: "dash" s.:h: qcf+ :h: qcb+ :l: :s:

Ender Launch
    " because of hitstun scaling you have to do the air combo very fast or else they will fall out of the combo"

:h: "double jump forward" U+ :h: :s:

Ground Ender

forward j.qcf+ :l: "dash" qcb+:l: qcb+ :h:

SO! I had noticed while playing through arcade mode(bad idea I know, only do it to practice hit confirms) that if you can corner the opp and get them into a block string in to the charging star/rapid slash call, it would ALWAYS let me hit with a crouching light. I just thought the computer was being stupid, but I started trying it against the guys I play against and low and behold, they got hit by it too. I'm guessing it's a decent frame trap, but I have no idea how to check the numbers on something like that, I just know that I got a lot of hits with it. Then they started just blocking, which of course is the best time to go for that back throw, which with new combos posted in other threads leads to 1.2 million damage at only -20% meter loss, with Cap/Vergil/Doom. Was just in the lab, just kinda messing around and for some reason I got the idea to test and see if it was a guard break setup if they where stupid enough to push block it. Set the comp to push block and throw tech. Called Vergil, did the charging star, comp starts push blocking like mad, I stay right on top of him and BAM back throw, no tech out. I don't even know if this is even useful, not many people have tried to push block once I put them in that situation, but hey, if they do, free throw to dead character.
    That could be huge. Once again I need to hit the lab with these new finds and update the OP.

edited August 2013
    Added a few more combos right now my suggested BnB is:

j.d+:h:, c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.:h: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), j.:h: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), s.:h::s:, sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), j.qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:
    j.d+:h:, c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.:h: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), j.:h: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), dash (side switch), :s:, sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), j.qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:

Also added a new corner combo to the OP.

[edit] After further testing I felt tinies needed a different combo (namely zero, -_- ):
    c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:l:, (land), j.u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), s.:h::s:, sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:
    c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:l:, (land), j.u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), dash, :s:, neutral sjc.:m::m::h:, dbj.:m: :h: d+:h::s: (land), dash, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:

Nothing hugely revolutionary, but I feel these are the standard BnBs to now strive for. I'm growing away from combos using j.:s: (land), qcf+:l: (OTG), relaunch... and qcb+:l::s:. I find these combos to provide too much hitstun decay and can make the ender launch combo rather inconsistent. Ideally sjc.:m::m::h:d+:h::s: seems to be the most consistent ender in terms of setting up proper distances for the follow up OTG and various other things and these types of combos often make even :m::h:u+:h::s: a bit tighter than it should be. As well those combos are very hard to work with in happy b-days and often resulted in an early hyper before a relaunch. As well your starter often can interfere with hitstun and make managing which combo to use a bit hectic. I feel these are safer and anything "more optimal" is not exactly to a practical extent as the damage and meter gain is negligible.

added more explanation to the combo variations and a small section on confirms and adjustments. Adding newer BnB suggestions.

Yo pwnstar or anyone else that may have some input. Happy bday combos? Different sized characters always cause problems in my normal bnbs. I've resorted to super low damage double jump combo just to keep everyone in the combo. I normally get the assist kill but just wondering what your go to bday combo was.
    edited August 2013
    3DPK wrote: »
    Yo pwnstar or anyone else that may have some input. Happy bday combos? Different sized characters always cause problems in my normal bnbs. I've resorted to super low damage double jump combo just to keep everyone in the combo. I normally get the assist kill but just wondering what your go to bday combo was.

Funny you should ask. In the OP I actually just labeled all the b-day friendly combos!

Really with B-day combos you're looking to avoid combos that use an OTG or qcb+:l::s: for the relaunch. However if you have an assist that makes them work go for it. My lazy combos to ensure I get my b-days:

mid - c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), j.u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), s.:h::s:, s.:m::h: u+:h::s: (land), dash, qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:
    corner - c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, super jump back sjc.u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), back jump j.:m: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), s.:h::s:, s.:m::h: u+:h::s: (land), qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:
    assisted corner - c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.u+:h::s:, qcf+:l: (land), j.u+:h::s: (land), qcf+:l:+:a1: (vergil RS), :s:, s.:m::h: u+:h::s: (land), qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:

edited August 2013
    Actually sry lil misinforamtion there. The correct combos are:

mid - c.:l: s.:m::h::s:, sjc.:m: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), j.:m: u+:h:, qcf+:l: (land), s.:h::s:, s.:m::h: u+:h::s: (land), dash, qcf+:l: (OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:

Also it won't work on some characters like Zero who pretty much flips out on anything besides normal only launches in happy B-days.

[edit] Recheck the combos listed. After some testing some of them required changes (I had some wrong so go back if you looked!) and in the end i wound up modifying some preexisting combos that were missing free damage. Cap's b-days are still a little hard whenever shield slash is involved so consider that when you have an assist relaunch and maybe just do normals. Zero and tinies are a pain at times and the safest option is better than optimal

• YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 529 ✭✭
    @ifbpwnstar a couple or so posts above, one of your bnbs starts with d+:h:, c.:l: s.:m::h: - wouldn't .d+:h:, s. :m::m::h:... do more damage?
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
    Yes. However I try to implement combos as that since it's very likely in a match you will do d+:h: and immediately c.:l: incase they block. This way you know the combos will work with that opener. c.:l: has slightly worse hitstun and can effect the ender launch. Naturally any confirm you can verify with d+:h: should go to s.:m::m:, but the reality is more likely you will use c.:l: if you can't.

Happy Birthday Combos that kills assists that have 1 million health

Midscreen

cr.:l: cr.:m: st.:h: :s: "super jump forward" j.:m: "double jump forward" j.:h: (delay) j.d+:h: "land" qcb+:l: :s: "super jump forward" j.d+:h: j.qcf+:l: "land" st.:h: :s: "super jump forward" j.:m: j.:h: "double jump forward" j.u+:h: :s: "land" forward j.qcf:l: "dash" qcb+:l: qcb+:h: qcb+:atk::atk:

cr.:l: cr.:m: st.:h: :s: "super jump forward" j.:m: "double jump forward" j.:h: (delay) j.d+:h: "land" qcb+:l: "wait for the character to fall lower" :s: "super jump forward" j.:m: "double jump forward" j.:h: (delay) j.d+:h: "land" qcb+:l: qcb+:h: :atk::atk:

Corner

cr.:l: cr.:m: st.:h: :s: "super jump forward" j.:m: "double jump forward" j.:h: (delay) j.d+:h: "land" j.:m: j.:h: j.d+:h: j.qcf.:l: "land" st.:m: :m: :s: "super jump straight up" j.:m: j.:m: j.:h: "double jump straight up" j.:m: j.d+:h: :s: "land" qcf+:l: qcb+:atk::atk:

Notes

st.:m: tends to whiff when the tip of cr.:l: hits the crouching opponent at the maximum range/farther away and j.:m: j.:m: j.:h: "double jump" j.:m: j.:h: j.d+:h: :s: is impractical unless you can triple jump cancel after j.:m: j.:h:

Lol you're insane using those combos. I just sat in training for awhile thinking "I'm going to have like 5% success rate in a real match with this stuff". Do you use these commonly in play or is this all lab tech? I'll be very impressed if you're doing this in your games consistently. I feel like if I get my Hitbox U/D set to last input and not Up > down, I think I can land these, but for pad and stick players that's a lot of work and difficult timings with not a lot of hitstun to spare.

edited September 2013
    I only use these combos in the match if I caught both point and the assist in a combo. After failing practicing my midscreen Happy Birthday combos during a training mode so many times, I feel that Jint's New BnB is more consistent for midscreen Happy Birthdays that also kills 1 million health assists. Corner Happy Birthday is easier but you won't kill 1 million health assists unless you can DHC.

I wouldn't practice my midscreen Happy Birthday combo because its really difficult to keep the combo going after qcb+:l: :s: j.+:h: j.qcf+:l: and its sometimes don't hit both characters.
    edited September 2013
    Yeah it felt like swag tech for awesome combo videos but in a real match I'm just not gonna wanna take that risk. I already get uppity dropping ending launchers I think are guaranteed.

Also for different sized characters in happy B-days, sometimes characters just have weird float compared to the other and you may have to resort to day 1 simple combos to make sure they work. :/

edited September 2013
    I found something interesting about Cartwheel against Spencer

If Spencer tries to punish your assist with Bionic Arm , do a Cartwheel as Spencer does his bionic arm. What is
    happening is that Cap and the assist both pass through bionic arm as if assist were invincible. The timing is not really that
    hard if you don't want your assist to receive damage.
    Dafuq O_O...to the lab!

Ermacoroni wrote: »
    I found something interesting about Cartwheel against Spencer

If Spencer tries to punish your assist with Bionic Arm , do a Cartwheel as Spencer does his bionic arm. What is
    happening is that Cap and the assist both pass through bionic arm as if assist were invincible. The timing is not really that
    hard if you don't want your assist to receive damage.

Can you elaborate more on the team/assists test and the scenario?

I'm having mixed results. There seems to be something there when i do it with vergil at certain distances and timings...but i can't find a reasoning between the inconsistencies

edited September 2013
    If your assist stays on the screen for a long time, they can get hit by bionic arm. So this trick only works during assist's startup
    Ah, this game seems to have a lot of weird cases of assist invincibility. I'm still trying to figure it out. Jam session feels like it gets random invincibility all the time when I try to punish in on its start up. I haven't found a significant find with this yet though...more testing is needed to see if this can extend beyond that scenario.

Yo pwn, you looked in to the guard break with rapid slash at all? I still can't get it to work consistently and was wondering if you had messed around with it any?
    edited September 2013
    bout to hit the lab now...i'll tell you if i have anything in the next hour or two

first 10 min...no luck on c.L...but i indeed managed the throw. No consistency but somehow it worked once off a c.:h:, :a1:+qcb+:h:, b+:h: = untechable throw...

[edit] Getting more consistency. It seems when the opponent is crouching it happens. so far the above listed example (completely flush in the corner and ASAP CS + assist) and mashing b+:h: as fast as i can has about a 10% chance. This might not be a bad idea just to attempt anyway since you'll likely trip them up with a normal throw anyway.

What were you testing with the c.L? I can't tell if it's a frame trap or not and have no clue how to test it, may do some digging on that right now. Do you plink H~MorL when you go for throw to option select the throw/backdash?

I had a friend that got hit ONCE with the c.L after that setup and was so afraid of it he just sat there down backing from then on, led to a few throws that I can't seem to convert off of. I've been in the lab practicing that combo so long and can hit it most the time, just never in a match.

How's your Strider coming along?
    edited September 2013
    I'll have to experiment more. Anything after qcb+:h: + rapid slash should be + frames, so really anything is a frame trap or a block string based on your stagger. c.:l: likely is catching chicken block attempts too. This is thy rapid slash is so amazing with Cap, free attempt to throw out charging star safely and you get to keep attacking on block. I do this all the time as well and it does work quite well. I'll often mix in tic throws as well or a do a block string and call my next assists and try to repeat the pressure till they panic and make a risky move to get out of the corner.

I'll test plink dashing to throw. Right now it's hard to tell because this may be weird training mode oddities, but I think there's something to this untechable throw set up. It happened enough times that I think it might be consistently set up once we figure out what's going on. This will make Cap's pressure game absolutely insane. Cap could really go up a few in tiers if he has unblockables with this pairing.

Strider is working out great. He's still a pain, but I'm figuring him out on point. I'm feeling more and more confidant in this team. I've noticed bad matchups becoming less and less of an issue. Even when Strider isn't landing hits, he's creating paranoia that he might be called. This makes the more cautious and more prone to blocking and falling into my block pressure game. Plus strider can result in some very absurd cross up scenarios that I often have no idea which side I'll be on. I do Vajra+kara roll on incoming and will nail them as soon as they appear and sometimes not cross them up. It's very ambiguous. I think there's a good chance I will ride this team out all the way till the next EVO, it feels much stronger than Cap/vergil/doom.

I still like cap/doom, but I feel doom needs to be 2nd and that means you need an anchor assist that helps his bad MUs since cap and doom share common bad match ups from time to time. We know Doom/vergil is an awesome shell, but I think it might need a more well rounded point than Cap to give it more options. I can't stress how bad point hawkeye snapping Cap to anchor and putting Doom on point fucked me over in EVO this year. None of those assists help him in that MU and your only smart option is DHC to get vergil out before doom gets mauled. Hard tags mean getting hit by gimlet and and DHC follow up. Cap/doom/??? without vergil (crazy words) might be a better options and put a utility assist to curb out neutral game issues.

On another note Strider XF3 "oreo" power up amuses the shit out of me for derpy wins...I feel like I'm finally playing Mahvel.

Good to hear. Just glad I can keep figuring new stuff out with Cap. I've got ToD combo's off of almost every stray hit now, still working on super jump confirms. I know it can be done but the spacing and timing are proving to be a bitch. Knowing when to super jump back up to get another j.H shield is really throwing me off.

I've found Cap's best game comes when you can get them in to the corner. It allows for the space control to always know your shield are in range and the pressure from rapid slash charging star has really upped my game. Now if I could only deal with people like Wesker that can teleport through the shields and punish for free.
    Wesker was one of the reasons i like Strider. Strider can give him hell if he's not careful with teleport gun shot spam. With doom/vergil, i found i would unsafely CS while my assist got nailed by the bullet. But yeah Cap when he has someone boxed in is lethal. Your whole game should just be about getting that positioning whenever possible.

For super jumps, i do 3 :h:, qcf+:atk:'s to bring them down and then relaunch into standard BnB. you can toss in a :m: too to correct heights.

• HvEHvE Sidebet LIVE? Joined: Posts: 813
    edited September 2013
    hey guys, I'm back and I'm thinking of picking up ifbpwnstar's team but with charging star assist. do you have combo extensions for captain with strider assist?
    Post edited by HvE on
    HvE's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hveq
    [mtler] 4:09 pm: mike how about you post this on srk:
    [MTLSF]: mtler has left at 4:09 pm
    Why charging star assist? I understand it's a good gtfo me assist and can be used for some meter eating alpha counter tech, but I don't feel that over rides how much shield does for Vergil. Shield can convert helm breakers and is a gdlk teleport mixup. Not trying to tell you not to use it, just wondering what your reasons are.
    edited September 2013
    I have to agree...While in most cases I feel cap's assist is really to the players liking...SS w/ vergil is stupid. You get 2 free mix ups and frame advantage to do whatever afterwards just for them blocking something like a s.:h:.

Do blocked. hyper CS > devil trigger, s.:h:+:a1:, teleport x2 and tell me how you feel...

Combo extensions:
    • midscreen ender - BnB~relaunch = sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), :a2:, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), **assist hits**, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk: (this is most consistent with that relaunch ender, other enders require extra adjustmens after landing)
    • midscreen alt ender - BnB, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), dash, :a2:, qcb+:l:, qcb+:l: **assist hits**, qcf+:l:(OTG), qcb+:atk::atk:
    • corner OTG relaunch - :a2:, qcf+:l: (OTG), walk backwards, **assist hits**, anything into :s:
    • corner ender - BnB~relaunch = sjc.:m::m::h: d+:h::s: (land), :a2:, j.qcf+:l: (OTG), back dash, **assist hits**, qcb+:l:, qcb+:h:, qcb+:atk::atk:
    • S&S confirm - :a2:, slight delay, dpf+:m:/:h:, **assist hits**, qcf+:l: (OTG), etc...