ssf4 + justin wong + chun-li = ?????? ?

pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
hey chun-li category,

i am jus' curious as to whether anyone has seen videos of justin wong playing chun-li in ssf4, if not; does anyone have any anecdotal evidence as to why he does not play her- or is it purely down to evo moment #37? does justin wong play chun-li in 3s anymore?

if so, please link/tell me how to find.


kind regards
align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>

Comments

  • MrAnnualMrAnnual Joined: Posts: 635
    He's mentioned in several interviews that he tried to play Chun early on, but didn't like the charge aspect of her and just moved on.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    SFA2 - Rolento, Sodom, Chun-Li
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,986 mod
    Justin played Chun in 3rd Strike because she was god tier in that game.
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    she is pretty demonic in 3rd strike, that standing fierce sound she made was akin on qi levels to the sho-ryuuuuuu-kennn! on balrog[claw] in sfii-victory


    MrAnnual; can you recall what interviews they were? i feel there is some special insight to be had

    thanks for the replies guys; i'll just throw this out there in case you know: kofxiii gold-23.99, kofxii with dlc pass-15.99+5.49 on psn= what to buy.? i read someone who said the dlc pass does not unlock the ex characters, and also most of the dlc is unlockable in-game . . .

    can someone adress these queries with any prior knowledge?
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No-one plays KOF 12 anymore

    KOF 13 is only worth it if you have offline competition/someone to play with. The online is pretty miserable, going by reviews.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    d3v wrote: »
    Justin played Chun in 3rd Strike because she was god tier in that game.

    What's wrong with that?

    In any case he plays a bit of chun in St he doesn't play chun in sf4 because lol tiers
    CARACOLES
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    i meant kofxiii, my mistake.

    i would have thought someone of his calibre could at least give some time to his old favourites though, in certain match-ups and even preliminaries, but utterly no videos? this is woe.



    i thought gen was utter dire tier, yet xian plays him to a competitive level- it would be class if people roleplay'd games a tad more, rather than considering tiers and such

    also, where can i get some videos of vesperarcade[the specific individual, i know they are a group also] vs. people
    and, is anyone known to enter tournaments with random select?

    kind regards
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    edited April 2013
    Justin played Chun in Vanilla a little.


    I dunno what you mean by role play, but im not paying an entry fee to goof around, I want to win, so Im only picking a character that im good with.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    pak_mei wrote: »

    i thought gen was utter dire tier, yet xian plays him to a competitive level- it would be class if people roleplay'd games a tad more, rather than considering tiers and such

    He was in Vanilla/Super actually, if you didn't learn HHS loops and the other gimmicks you'd be left in the dust. AE/v2012 helps him quite a bit, mostly the target combos to upkicks.

    He's still mid tier though because he has some really hard matchups. But as Xian and other good Gen players have shown, no life lead is safe from Gen because of Super --> U1 combo.


    Tier gaps (and how much they matter) differ from game to game too. In some games it's ok to use lower tiers, in other games it's high tier or bust. That's just how it goes.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    Justin actually likes Chun-Li as a character, but doesn't like charge characters, which is why he played (and I believe still uses) Chun-Li in SFxT. In that game the aspect of charging is less significant, especially for her fireball as a zoning tool.

    I think if Chun were made exclusively a motion character with no charge involved, Justin would play her.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    SnakeAes, i hear what you are saying in regards to chun-li's input history, however; justin does play balrog/boxer, who is mainly charge- i thought the guy had some love for chun-li is my main point: that maybe he had an inner chun-li, that he focused into her gameplay- i feel like he has had an abortion almost.[triggered in my mind by -sorry to harp on- the evo moment.]


    Necrotrophic- i thought you played chun-li though, i.e. you don't play cammy/fei long/akuma, but a somewhat lower tier due to your loyalty[which i would symbolically call roleplay, based on what rl player and vr character are going through: dat feel, and connection] toward chun-li{ah, lol just read your sig}~ is it a case, -for you, then-, of having characters that are good vs. certain matchups and all forthewin? you've got the footsies with chun-li, the sturdy ryu, vortex akuma and high pressure cammy- don't take this as a negative critique, or rudeness; i am curious.


    4neqs- so would you say that tier is not as applicable in ssf4 as in other games?[with xian taking low tier gen to heights]



    tl;dr -i am waiting for dan to win evo/major . . . FFFAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! : '''''''' [
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    edited April 2013
    I dont have character loyalty. It just so happens that Chun li fits my play style in every game shes in. I am more focused on footsies and stuff than I am anything else.

    I play Ryu, because hes another character that just clicks with me.

    Akuma, because I decided that I need to accept the meta-game of SF4.

    Cammy because shes fun.

    The way I view characters isnt through personality, but play styles. If SF5 dropped tomorrow, I would pick a character that helps me play "me" given the game system. Ryu is a zoner, he isnt the guy struggling with Satsui no Hado, Chun li is about footsies and strong supers, she isnt a cop or whatever etc
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    yeah, i definately feel you on the clickability and play style.

    chun-li IS the strongest woman in the world, though.


    have you tried your hand with dhalsim?
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    the thing is gen is far from being low tier and far from being broken.

    there are some characters in this game that havent being explored that much tbh. You can see that by looking tier list in the main thread of loltierlist
    CARACOLES
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    edited April 2013
    pak_mei wrote: »
    SnakeAes, i hear what you are saying in regards to chun-li's input history, however; justin does play balrog/boxer, who is mainly charge- i thought the guy had some love for chun-li is my main point: that maybe he had an inner chun-li, that he focused into her gameplay- i feel like he has had an abortion almost.[triggered in my mind by -sorry to harp on- the evo moment.]
    I honestly don't believe the Daigo Full Parry has anything to do with whether or not Justin plays Chun-Li. I know Justin and have met him and spoken with him several times, and to be honest I don't think he's the type of person to stay hung up on what happened in one match a long time ago. Do you really think a player of Justin's caliber would avoid a character simply because he was made to look stupid for making a poor decision, in one round of one match, which took place 9 years ago? I think for a person to honestly think and believe that really discredits Justin's ability and mindset.

    I know a lot of people don't like Justin Wong for whatever reason, and I'm not a big fan either, but to think Justin is that petty that he'd avoid a character for that reason just seems foolish. No offense to you, but I am 100% positive that you're wrong in that regard. Further proof that he doesn't dislike Chun-Li is on his twitter from back when SFxT still meant something (clicky).

    Yes, Justin plays Balrog (sort of), but Balrog is a lot different from Chun, and the way he plays Balrog suits his style - in a manner that I don't believe Chun would.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    Malvadisco wrote: »
    the thing is gen is far from being low tier and far from being broken.

    there are some characters in this game that havent being explored that much tbh. You can see that by looking tier list in the main thread of loltierlist

    a lot of people have been saying (myself included) that Gen is secret top tier, and I think he will be getting more explored now.

    The more setups you can find in this game, the better off the character is really. Added bonus if your setups include option selects.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    and unblockables/vortex
    CARACOLES
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    SnakeAes- well argued, i like your points about sfxt particularly; however, to drop a character doesn't need to be a petty instance, maybe they are not getting that connection- it does not need to be negatively interpretated: though i hear you from the justin haters comment,
    it saddened me somewhat to hear of the abuse daigo was *apparently* getting when he came to america for the sfzero 3 tournament, and also the tribalistic behaviour displayed by emp arcadia in the king of chinatown documentary. but i hear ya, i will have to have a good look at justin's sfxt videos to get dat feel again.



    round-up question, how do peeps judge[and whom does judge] the tier lists? surely it was obvious with gen's broad move repertoire that he was not the lowest, and more to the point this begs the question of why there should be high>low concepts anyhoo.
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    it used to be pure statistics, but now is opinions and more opinions
    CARACOLES
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    I wonder if Capcom has internal use data regarding every match ever played online using which characters, and has compiled their own purely mathematical tier list. I bet they probably could, if they wanted.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    Chun is the best. she just sucks to play in 4. she is far more approachable in every other ground based Capcom game. ST, 3s, CVS2, SFxT, all these games have great Chuns. SF4 Chun is the least pleasant Chun to play.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    SF4 is still ground based at very high levels of play. The problem with Chun is that, despite excellent footsies, she doesnt get anything out of them. I was arguing with Jozhear in the tier thread (who woulda thought that thread had an argument...?) and he said that hes not afraid of chuns footsies because it never leads to damage. I feel like he was actually correct on that statement for the most part.

    If st.mp ex legs did more damage, her footsies would be way scarier.

    For the sake of accuracy however, I will say Chuns footsies are nothing to be fucked with when she has super.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    I agree with that. SF4 Chun might not actually be a bad character in another game. She is just not well suited for SF4 as currently constructed. She has good footsie tools in a game where the midrange footsie game doesn't matter as much, and you get no damage out of successfully outfootsie-ing your opponent.
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    give us a divekick

    then they will fear us.
    CARACOLES
  • ItsDaveyJItsDaveyJ Joined: Posts: 296
    Malvadisco wrote: »
    give us a divekick

    then they will fear us.
    Reverse air tenshokyaku. Make it happen.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,986 mod
    Malvadisco wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    Justin played Chun in 3rd Strike because she was god tier in that game.

    What's wrong with that?

    In any case he plays a bit of chun in St he doesn't play chun in sf4 because lol tiers

    Justin admitted to not really liking 3rd Strike which is why he just picked the easiest character to win with.
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 2,149
    I don't think I've ever been scared of playing Footsies with Chun. I play Gen and Boxer, and half the time I just get knocked down and Chun can't really apply anything that I should be scared about.

    If I get hit by a sweep, I have to block some quite predictable mixup or Kikosho Oki.

    With Gen, I can sweep into strong air mixups, make my pokes safe with hands, or link into Sweep from EX hands and set up an Oga.

    Not enough reward for Chun. I reckon they need to just amp up her damage tbh.
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    long time, no speak chaps-

    I have been exploring chun-li after trying to get a hold on guile. I practised links, and had been enjoying the cramps from guile's st.f>>RH flash kick . . . why do I see little mention of chun-li's close st.f>>spinning bird/kikoken link? in it's base form this does more damage than cr.f>> . . . s.rh>> . . . or cr.mk>> . . .[this one I didn't test],- I am guessing it links to legs too; like the other links.

    if no-one honestly knows about this, I want declarations of gratitude . . .
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    i cant tell you that w/o being an ass
    CARACOLES
  • The-OlympianThe-Olympian 4 the Glory of Gaea Joined: Posts: 2,134
    cancels... cancels... cancels....

    links are something else.
    What of the Hunting, Hunter Bold? Brother, the Watch was Long and Cold.
    What of the Quarry ye went to Kill? Brother, He Crops in the Jungle Still.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    pak_mei wrote: »
    long time, no speak chaps-

    I have been exploring chun-li after trying to get a hold on guile. I practised links, and had been enjoying the cramps from guile's st.f>>RH flash kick . . . why do I see little mention of chun-li's close st.f>>spinning bird/kikoken link? in it's base form this does more damage than cr.f>> . . . s.rh>> . . . or cr.mk>> . .

    The way normal SBK ends, it's sort of a 50/50 situation for you. Dudes who love to mash (especially characters with command grabs like Zangief) like that. People usually don't use combos ending in normal SBK unless they're sure it will kill the opponent.

    Kikoken I haven't really seen/or used in combos unless you're sure you can cancel into a Super afterwards.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    Okay my terminology sucked, it works with ex though: which with spinning bird kick would stop any counters, right?

    I am assuming chun li can get legs from it, which would alleviate the counter, too? I meant her projectile, and again ex would cause enough distance and the other projectiles can have moves following them?? plus can't chun-li follow on from light sbk?
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • pak_meipak_mei Joined: Posts: 18
    Malvadisco wrote: »
    i cant tell you that w/o being an ass

    I am ready for your behaviour malvadisco, let rip : ]

    Also I have found someone using it, plus the video inspired me to seek chun li. search 'sako training chun-li'. Admittedly, the combos may be technique/timing drills- but, that is why I am asking you honoured veterans!
    align=centre<b><i>''bushin-ryu allows me to pierce the sky and split the earth with my blows!''</b></i>
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,802
    edited August 2013
    SBK can't be followed with any of the stuff you're mentioning. It's a 50/50 situation after like 4neqs said and a lot of players prefer to avoid that risky situation because Chun can't really afford to lose momentum like that if she guesses wrong.

    The only follow up you can do after (the MK version of) SBK is her Super, which is a 1f link but very good damage.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

    My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    or you just can do infinites on sim or blanka

    dunno if they fixed that in AE2012 tho
    CARACOLES
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,802
    they fixed that as soon as super came out IIRC. I used to be so hype over that stupid infinite too.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

    My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    the Vanilla sim/Vega/Blanka infinite lol
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    Spinning bird-- spinning bird-- spinning bird-- spinning bird--

    I remember trying so hard to learn that infinite lol.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    it wasnt that hard tbh, it was like 2f link against blanka and sim lol
    CARACOLES
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    My execution was awful back then =P
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
Sign In or Register to comment.