Gian Recital 5vs5 Tournament tomorrow (Stream)

KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴJoined: Posts: 891
gian_recital_2013.png

http://www.strevival.com/2013/05/03/gian-recital-2013-5vs5-is-this-weekend

This year’s big Gian Recital 5vs5 tournament will be taking place this Sunday at 2PM (Japan Time) – Sunday 1AM (EST) – Saturday 10PM (PST) and will be streamed at:

The who’s who of the Japanese ST world will be there. Some of the confirmed names who have pre-registered from Mattsun (a number of other players will be showing up who have not pre-registered yet including Kusumondo, kuroppi, XSPR and more):

Ryu:

Kawamuta, Kurahashi, Sashishi, Shiro, Shinshin, Sugahara, Sasori, Dai, Futachan, Ron

Ken:

Shigaken, Choushu, Mattsun

E.Honda:

HaruKING, babynine

Chun-Li:

Keishin, Yamakofu

Blanka:

Akablanka, AFO, Komoda

Zangief:

Suzuki, TMF, Pony

Guile:

Kikai, Kotaka Shoten, Tsunoppi, TZW, Yoshio

Dhalsim:

KKY, Suika

T. Hawk:

Satoru

Cammy:

Nakamura

Fei Long:

Cross

Dee Jay:

Fujimon

Boxer:

Noah, MB, The Superstar, Numa

Claw:

Opemai, Kondo, MAO,

Sagat:

yaya, Nidaime (O. Sagat)

Dictator:

Taira, YuuVega

For more information (in Japanese), visit the Gian Recital website at: http://x-5on5.com
Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter

Comments

• KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    edited May 2013
    http://www.strevival.com/2013/05/05/gian-recital-2013-results/

Gian Recital 2013 Results:
    1st
    Kurahashi Ryu
    YuuVega Dictator
    Keishin Chun-Li
    Opemai Claw
    Futachan Ryu

2nd
    Mattsun Ken
    KKY Dhalsim
    Tsunoppi Guile
    Pony Zangief
    Kikai Guile

3rd
    Kusumondo E. Honda
    Shogatsu O. Honda
    Gunze Zangief
    Murasaki Dictator
    Yomiai Ryu

3rd
    MAO Claw
    The Superstar Boxer
    Shigaken Ken
    Fujimon Dee Jay
    Yondaime O. Sagat

5th
    Sasori Ryu
    Komoda Blanka
    Sashishi Ryu
    babynine E. Honda
    yaya Sagat

5th
    VIPER T. Hawk
    Toutanki O. Hawk
    Yakitori O. Hawk
    Hiroyan T. Hawk
    Masato Boxer
    Post edited by Kuroppi on
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• BoelBoel all this post up in your butt Joined: Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 2013
    hahah thanks for this post, it was difficult figuring out who was who on the stream TEAM 4 THAWK was best team obviously
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,231
    edited May 2013
    Will they upload a stream/archive of this event?

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    The archive is still at their twitch page I believe.
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    The only recent archives on their channel are random freeplay it seems.

Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
    I'm pretty certain the videos will be uploaded to NicoNico at some point.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    mrdhalsim wrote: »
    Pony@Zangief beat MAO@claw.
    Wow, that's awesome. Pony is indeed a GOD. I really have to check the footage ASAP. Not much footage from the top Giefs against hyoubals out there.
    BTW That made my day.

I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
    Born2SPD wrote: »
    mrdhalsim wrote: »
    Pony@Zangief beat MAO@claw.
    Wow, that's awesome. Pony is indeed a GOD. I really have to check the footage ASAP. Not much footage from the top Giefs against hyoubals out there.
    BTW That made my day.

It was pretty ridiculous. I was loudly cheering at my keyboard. Millertime thought I was crazy. Pony seemed to pull off the impossible.

• ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    I don't understand what did he do to counter wall dive?
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
    Incredible play all around but the stars for me were Pony (defeating MAO), Tsunoppi (being red hot for most of the tournament), Toutanki (pulling off a couple of great comebacks), Kusumondo being Kusumondo and Shogatsu making it look easy to beat shotos!
    Shhh... ST in da house!

ultracombo wrote: »

He used jumping strong if I remember correctly but it only worked twice I think but he chose the right moments to do it. He played so patient and I think there were a lot of mind games he was playing. He got perfected the first round and basically didn't try to counter anything.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    Seriously Japan 5 winners? Why don't they fight each other? What's with this "everybody's a winner" pee wee mentality? Why do people even team up in ST in the first place? What's it supposed to prove? 3v3 is bad enough, but 5? Really? /rant
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • mrdhalsimmrdhalsim Joined: Posts: 378
    Kuroppi wrote: »

He used jumping strong if I remember correctly but it only worked twice I think but he chose the right moments to do it. He played so patient and I think there were a lot of mind games he was playing. He got perfected the first round and basically didn't try to counter anything.

From what I remember that first round, it seemed like he tried blocking it a lot (an accomplishment in itself?). Besides jumping strong (the chop move, right? I guess it's not jumping jab to stay out longer?), he also had to use jumping fierce (swings his arm out sideways). That didn't always work because you have to get the timing right as well as the guess. I asked him right after the match why he didn't try more of the chop one (strong), I think you kind of have to anticipate (guess) when claw presses the button in the air to spread his arms (so maybe if claw presses it earlier you can hit with fierce hard punch, if later have to try strong/mid punch). Considering the timing though- I mean I'm not a gief player but I know that walldive moves across the screen horizontally so fast- I'd have to confirm in TRUST but I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to having to time it on the right FRAME. And maybe even THEN, you'd still maybe have to "roll with the punches" for the most part to compensate for wrong guesses and just hope for the best.

And yeah, everyone there reacted like eltrouble after he managed to pull off the win.

I played MAO a bunch of games and never even got close to a win. There are tons of technical layers to his game that I couldn't even get to much of a strategy battle at all whatsoever. Saturday's tournament was smaller and not as crowded, and he was more vocal, helping set the theme for "MAO Rush" and at one point vigorously encouraging players to "throw 'em!". Superstar@Boxer was also on that other level for all the games I played with him- I don't think I've ever beaten him in a single game, if I ever did it must have been years ago. and Kuroppi's right about the Honda players- didn't hear much about Babynine nor Abebin much but Shougatsu and Kusumondo blowing up so many good Ryu's maybe everyone's just used to it now.

A combination of mind games, j.strong, well-timed j.fierces, and about 3-4 psychic lariats to beat Claw's pokes. The first round was literally Claw doing wall dives over and over and over again in a very predictable fashion, and Pony didn't seem to know (or bothered to show) how to counter it. I wish the vids would be up soon.

As far as the 5 winners go, they play as a team, they win/lose as a team. I think 5 is a bit excessive, but I suppose with the number of entrants they can get for ST in Japan, it's quite feasible. Personally, I love team tournaments.
    eltrouble wrote: »

A combination of mind games, j.strong, well-timed j.fierces, and about 3-4 psychic lariats to beat Claw's pokes. The first round was literally Claw doing wall dives over and over and over again in a very predictable fashion, and Pony didn't seem to know (or bothered to show) how to counter it. I wish the vids would be up soon.

As far as the 5 winners go, they play as a team, they win/lose as a team. I think 5 is a bit excessive, but I suppose with the number of entrants they can get for ST in Japan, it's quite feasible. Personally, I love team tournaments.

Ah yes, I totally forgot about the psychic lariats. That was incredible stuff. IT was like he was channeling HDR Gief's lariats with those. :)
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,634
    edited May 2013
    completely ignored every post in this thread because I don't want results spoiled for me, someone please link the stream archive of this awesome sounding tournament!
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • yogaboyyogaboy Joined: Posts: 65
    Seriously Japan 5 winners? Why don't they fight each other? What's with this "everybody's a winner" pee wee mentality? Why do people even team up in ST in the first place? What's it supposed to prove? 3v3 is bad enough, but 5? Really? /rant
    I guess they prefer teamwork than showing off one's ego. I am jealous about it because I think it's a cultural thing I wish I could feel more comfortable doing myself.

Easiest solution that would please almost everyone -> a decent port. That is, the DC version of ST running on a PS4/XBOX.
    Difficult part -> get capcom involved. Whoever achieves that gets the golden egg and solves the problem for once and for all. Period ;)
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    nice
    completely ignored every post in this thread because I don't want results spoiled for me, someone please link the stream archive of this awesome sounding tournament!

The stream archive is not available. Last year the videos were uploaded but very slowly, over the course of a month or two so if it happens again it will probably be a long wait unfortunately.

Shhh... ST in da house!

• papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    i hope that they recorded the matches separately, the 4 in 1 + 180p didn't do this tourney justice
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276

Any info on this? I'm very interested in the Pony vs Mao match.

I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
    Born2SPD wrote: »

Any info on this? I'm very interested in the Pony vs Mao match.

Hmm, I just tried a search on NicoNico but couldn't find anything so it looks like these won't be available. :( Also, the matches from last year on NicoNico are not available now. I still have the matches from last year on my YouTube. I wonder if someone didn't like me doing that.
    Shhh... ST in da house!