Kansas City SRK: The Cruel Thesis of Violent Gilgamesh

FuLLBLeeDFuLLBLeeD KC SRK Supreme GodkingJoined: Posts: 2,158
edited April 2014 in Midwest
After a long hiatus (on this site at least) our thread is back! Welcome to Kansas City, home of great beer, great barbeque, and great players with even better attitudes!

KC SRK is a very active community that hasn't had an active thread on this site for awhile, partially because our Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/KcSrk/) servers as a much more active hub for organizing hookups and tournaments, and partially because the SRK redesign sucks ass and nobody wants to bother to use it anymore. Nevertheless we are an active community with meetups two to four times a week, and a long running monthly tournament series, Maxout.

Despite the title of "Kansas City" this community encompasses a lot of different players from different cities in Kansas and Missouri, including, but not limited too:
Kansas City
Overland Park
Olathe
Lee's Summit
Blue Springs
Larwrence
Whiteman AFB

To become a part of the Facebook group simply send a friend request to anyone in the group and they can add you. That's where most of the announcements are but we'll be making a better effort to keep this thread up to date as well.

Games We Play:
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
King of Fighters 13
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Persona 4 Arena
Skullgirls
Guilty Gear
Alcoholism

Forbidden games

These games have been sealed away by dark sorcery for eons, never to be spoke of by mere mortals that tremble in might at their awesome powers. However, rumors say if if the full moon shines brightly and the air is ripe with the winds of dark majik, someone may take part in the dark arts and play these games with you:
STREET FIGHTER CROSS TEKKEN
Aquapazza
Chaos Code
Virtua Fighter
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

Hookups and venues:

Kansas City currently has a weekly hookup every Saturday. This information is current for the time being, but may be subject to change in the future. Keep an eye on this thread and the Facebook group to stay in the know with what's going on in local fighting games!

You'll hear the term "setup" referred to quite a bit here. Basically, it refers to a console (PS3 or 360, sometimes PC), power strip, and lag free monitor (e.g. ASUS Monitor or PS3 3D TV). Its highly encouraged to bring these to hookups, with the exception of LocalHost where its provided (you can still bring your own stuff if you'd like though!) Also remember it is highly encouraged to bring a controller: whether its a pad or an arcade stick.

Also please note that why hookups are usually weekly, sometimes they will be cancelled or changed. ALWAYS check this thread and the Facebook page to make sure the hookup is on for that night.

Saturday:
Riverside Dojo hosted by MoTheHawk
Address:
Delaware Lofts - 218 Delaware St, Apt 108, Kansas City, MO 64105
Time:
8 pm to whenever

riverside-dojo-promo.jpg

MoTheHawk hosts a weekly meetup where a large variety of games are played and streamed, usually ending with a nightly round of Cards Against Humanity. Fun atmosphere, plenty of space, and is usually right after a weekly food hookup at the amazing Vietnam Cafe located at (522 Cambell St). Come out to play a wide variety of game's and contribute to our growing streaming presence.

Friday:
Currently on a week by week basis. Check the Facebook group to see if anything is happening Friday nights.

MAXOUT

maxout-promo-1080.jpg

Kansas City's long running monthly tournament series held at Next Door Pizza and Pub in Lee's Summit Missouri, organized and ran by AxioM and Radian. Awesome venue with delicious pizza and beer, so whether you are celebrating your victories or drowning your sorrows over your losses there is something for everyone. Also this should go without saying, but don't be the guy that either A). Buys a pizza and doesn't pay for it or B). brings in outside food or drink into the venue (its a venue that serves food and drink seriously don't be a fucking child). We have something around here called the "Shadow Realm" I'm sure you'll become familiar with, and doing either of those things is sure to land you there. That's not good!

There is a $10 venue fee for this tournament that will be waived if you provide a full setup (console with approved lag free monitor).

Check this thread and the Facebook group for when Maxout will be, it happens every month but the dates change every month as well.

Address of Next Door Pizza and MAXOUT:
3385 SW Fascination Drive, Lees Summit, Missouri 64081

KC SRK Social Media and Streaming Information

Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KcSrk/

Kansas City is becoming very active in the streaming world, be sure to check us out at the following links:

KC SRK TwitchTV Page

Tournaments and hookups are streamed from here!

KC SRK YouTube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/kcSRKkc
Archives of tournaments and hype matches are uploladed here!

KC SRK Twitter Page:
https://twitter.com/KCSRK

Follow this page to know when KC SRK starts streaming and when upcoming events are!

KC SRK Media Admin:
https://twitter.com/MoTheHawk
The man behind the curtain, contact MoTheHawk if you have any questions about KC SRK streams or media.

Fun tips for new players:
Kansas City SRK is a great group of players with WONDERFUL attitudes and we are always willing to help players level their game up regardless of their skill level. That being said if you want to have a good time here there are a few things you should know.

1. Calling "next" on a setup. If you want to actually play games when you show up to a hookup, you're gonna have to do this. We like games A LOT and that means we are going to sit down and play until someone calls next in line. If you don't say anything, you're just going to be a spectator all night. Remember that if you don't "call next" people will assume you don't want to play! So call next!

2. Noise levels. Hookups in our community are often hosted either in somebody's house or apartment, meaning there are neighbors that will call the cops if we get too noisy. Be respectful to the people offering their homes as a hub to play games and their neighbors by keeping the noise levels in check.

Insert joke about drinking here.
Post edited by FuLLBLeeD on

Comments

• FuLLBLeeDFuLLBLeeD KC SRK Supreme Godking Joined: Posts: 2,158
  • ludwig_vanludwig_van Joined: Posts: 6
    Cool thread, bro.
  • KCs NOTOR1OUSKCs NOTOR1OUS Puttin Demon Karate on the map Joined: Posts: 1,154
    haha nice, I miss this thread. Here's praying they update the current srk layout.
    If you want to beat the man in front of you, simply cut him down.

"I've suffered enough at the hands of Chad for lesser transgressions. Fucking with Chad's wings is like fucking with his patience."--Chachi
    Can't Stop, Won't Stop, DFS eh eh eh eh
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • JINRA1JINRA1 Joined: Posts: 2
    Good thread, 10/10
  • stormin fiascostormin fiasco Dhoppler Joined: Posts: 117
    edited May 2013
    Everybody cares about Chaos Code. And you might wanna bump Skull Girls down to "ask nicely" territory. And nooooooooooobody cares about 3rd strike, b.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure, but garbage is gonna be shit regardless.
  • SamsonSamson UNLIMITED Joined: Posts: 290
    Maybe add near the top a list if supporting cities (Warrensburg, Lee's Summit, MO / Olathe, Overland Park, KS) and so forth.
    Relax and take notes.
    Samson wrote: »
    Maybe add near the top a list if supporting cities (Warrensburg, Lee's Summit, MO / Olathe, Overland Park, KS) and so forth.

Done
  • focrafocra "foe-cruh" Joined: Posts: 488
    i truly look forward to posting in this thread now wow
  • SuperVehicle001SuperVehicle001 Joined: Posts: 51
    The mobile site is better than the full site lol.
  • papermarkispapermarkis Think of New York Knicks Joined: Posts: 154
    nobody cares about p4a #RIP #RIP
    This message is already read
    The cool thing about me posting this OP is I can see when somebody posts in the thread. Its like an option select for getting around SRK being shit and breaking notifications on a site wide level!
  • MoTheHawkMoTheHawk Just Fight. Joined: Posts: 170
    P4A lives on... in my heart. But seriously I'll keep playing it until I can't enter tournaments for it at majors.

Whenever we're able to stream tournaments or weeklies, you can find us here:
    Check out our monthly MAXOUT tournaments in Kansas City - Twitch Channel - Twitter - Facebook Group - YouTube Channel
  • SPIRE_FANSPIRE_FAN Fan of The Diamonts! Joined: Posts: 44
    Is that KO date real? (November).
    "It's about the player and about the way you play the character. Rather then some numbers on a match up chart, that never won anybody anything"- Seth Killian (Evo 2010)
    SPIRE_FAN wrote: »
    Is that KO date real? (November).

Yes
  • JINRA1JINRA1 Joined: Posts: 2
    Drink all the things needs to be put up top imo, it gets the biggest turnout of all the games...
  • GetThere1TimeGetThere1Time Praying Mantits Joined: Posts: 665
    tl;dr, when's whiskey
    It takes a long time to mash out kung fu
  • papermarkispapermarkis Think of New York Knicks Joined: Posts: 154
    Man you guys better vote for my "When's Alcohol" shirt for the T-shirt contest
    This message is already read
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,652
    I'll post in this thread for a week.
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi
  • conical_mushroomconical_mushroom got my spine, got my orange crush Joined: Posts: 32
    Lawrence doesn't count as KC? :(
    Whatever, I'm not even there anymore. Yay for new thread!
    XBL: conicalmushroom
    UMvC3: Hulk/Dormammu/Dr. Doom. The best team.
    Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun.
  • XevrenXevren Joined: Posts: 6
    Someone else around here likes Virtua Fighter?!
  • AxioMAxioM Zap yo dumbass. Joined: Posts: 1,077
    Xevren wrote: »

No.
    ...are we safe from the stupidity of the FB group here? >_>
    TOP TIER TUESDAYS WILL NOW HAVE A STREET FIGHTER RANBAT. Everyone get hype hype hype and get read to tech throws and anti air don't be a nerd don't be a scrub
    You just posted so no.
    Shieeeeetttt

• rei_vincentrei_vincent King of Random Select Joined: Posts: 145
    Gee whiz guys this sure is a cool thread
    Dante/Dormammu/Magneto

I don't need dubstep to win. Stay free Zero/Vergil players.
  • KCs NOTOR1OUSKCs NOTOR1OUS Puttin Demon Karate on the map Joined: Posts: 1,154
    I'll be at TTT for some last minute KoF grinding. KoF heads show up por favor.

"I've suffered enough at the hands of Chad for lesser transgressions. Fucking with Chad's wings is like fucking with his patience."--Chachi
  • prod1gyprod1gy Holdin Deez Balloons Joined: Posts: 450
    IDK it seems like "SF" will be taking our poverty room. No room for the bad games now
    "Jungle Juice needs to be banned from hookups, that shit is broke." - Chachi
  • MGFMGF TVC Team Joined: Posts: 494
    To be honest, Malcolm. That last attack of mine in our tourney match was meant to catch anything I could try to react too..
    My song of the whenever
    Marvel vs Capcom - Captain Commando
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SOvJiKdP4g
    I like VF... lol but with KCSRK's new focus on AE I'm going to find a way to grind out Makoto while I'm gone. Taking a laptop and my Qanba Q4 and seeing what happens.
    I like VF... lol but with KCSRK's new focus on AE I'm going to find a way to grind out Makoto while I'm gone. Taking a laptop and my Qanba Q4 and seeing what happens.

Let's be honest, our focus is KOF 13. Our KOF is our strongest scene by far and they put in the most work. The SF players just need to catch up to that level of dedication cause we've been slacking.

• RadianRadian pick a top tier Joined: Posts: 645
    necessity is the mother of invention
  • robloxroblox Joined: Posts: 83
    Xevren wrote: »

There are four or five dudes who will play vf if you ask. Myself included.

FuLLBLeeD wrote: »

Let's be honest, our focus is KOF 13. Our KOF is our strongest scene by far and they put in the most work. The SF players just need to catch up to that level of dedication cause we've been slacking.

Fullbleed's statement is 100% accurate. Not to talk down on any group, but there is no doubt in KC that the KOF group is the most dedicated overall in all aspects (time, travel, commitment, expanding pool knowledge, enjoyment of the game). Me personally, I gravitate towards these types of groups. If -->more<-- people truly put in the same effort and progressed (I'm not expecting unrealistic leaps and bounds) in almost any game I'd join them. SF4 was staginent in terms of the same people placing, so KOF instantly drew my attention away because a wider range of like minded competition was available. Everyone competes for different reasons, but this is mine. The stronger EVERYONE is the more enjoyable it is to me.
    Relax and take notes.
    I'm 100% confident that the events at Maxout and the upcoming 2013 balance update will be what our SF community needs to get back in shape, which I'm excited for because SF4 is my favorite fighting game and the one game I consider my "main" although I wish I could back that up with tournament results.

I'm gonna be playing four games though, SF4, SFxT, Skullgirls, and Marvel. I really don't know how much longer I'm going to be seriously going to be putting time into Marvel though. Beyond playing my team there's not really much about that game I like too much, and I really don't have any sort of passion for it, which is completely necessary to be successful in that sort of game.
    I settled on KoF because I'm a SNK fanboy. Lots of skilled KoF players here that have already taught me a lot. Sadly I won't be able to play it for a while (unless it comes to Steam while I'm gone). So I'll be grinding on AE in what little personal time I will have.
  • KiLLiN NatzeesKiLLiN Natzees Joined: Posts: 2
    Hello all, I'm from Jefferson City, MO. I was curious if I could be accepted into this group, as I just now found this thread, lol.
    edited May 2013
    Hello all, I'm from Jefferson City, MO. I was curious if I could be accepted into this group, as I just now found this thread, lol.

Absolutely! I'm also really happy you posted here because it justifies me posting this thread in the first place (to get new people to come out). Everything you should need to know is in the OP but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

The first thing you should do is add one of us on Facebook so we can let you into our Facebook group. You can add me if you like, my name on there is Chris Cunningham.
  • KiLLiN NatzeesKiLLiN Natzees Joined: Posts: 2

Absolutely! I'm also really happy you posted here because it justifies me posting this thread in the first place (to get new people to come out). Everything you should need to know is in the OP but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

The first thing you should do is add one of us on Facebook so we can let you into our Facebook group. You can add me if you like, my name on there is Chris Cunningham.

I tried searching for you, and it turns out that's a really popular name haha, I'm not quite sure which one is you, so here is the link to my facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/josh.luebbering?ref=tn_tnmn

I guess I should add that I am primarily an Injustice player, (I noticed that no one here is interested in MK9, which WAS my primary haha) I currently am talking with some guys in Columbia, and I was directed to come here to find a scene haha.

I tried searching for you, and it turns out that's a really popular name haha, I'm not quite sure which one is you, so here is the link to my facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/josh.luebbering?ref=tn_tnmn

I guess I should add that I am primarily an Injustice player, (I noticed that no one here is interested in MK9, which WAS my primary haha) I currently am talking with some guys in Columbia, and I was directed to come here to find a scene haha.

Injustice has an active community here and seems to be getting a steady influx of new players. I sent you a friend request on Facebook, once you accept I can add you to the group. Welcome to KC SRK!
    Gg's last night. I am not about that Street Fighter life. So roll call again, who's all down for this 5v5 vs Chicago at UFGT?

I'm down. We got you, Le, Yon, and JaMarr.
    Relax and take notes.
    Hokay, sounds good to me. See you guys bright and early.

Fullbleed, go ahead and add Lawrence to the cities too.

Glad so many people went to UFGT, it's always better when more people travel together!
    Relax and take notes.
    Done.

Had a really good time at UFGT. I would have liked to do better at SF4 but whatever, not gonna dwell on it. Did really well in Marvel, 4-2 so I almost made it out of pools. Best part of the trip for me was playing casuals with a bunch of different people and learning new matchups in SF4. I also learned a lot of new stuff in SFxT by playing casuals with really good players. I did well in casuals in SF4 and Marvel but got completely bodied in SFxT. People that play that game at majors are so good. I found a new way to optimize Kuma's damage that will let me kill characters a lot faster. Also learned a lot of new Haggar tech in Marvel. I played a bit of casuals in Skullgirls with a dude that got top 8 and he said I was doing really well footsies wise for someone who just started playing. Just gotta get this Ms Fortune stuff down and learn some Cerebella stuff and I'll be in there too.

EVO is gonna be my next major and I'm looking forward to it.
    (I noticed that no one here is interested in MK9, which WAS my primary haha)

For MK9, there's myself, MrMister, and uh... that's about it. I haven't practiced in a while but I'd be down to play if you ask me at a hookup/tourney.
    I have admin on the Facebook page now, if you need to be added just ask me directly and I can do it. Its great to see all these new players!
    Maxout montly tournament is tentatively scheduled for 15 June!
    Relax and take notes.
  • AxioMAxioM Zap yo dumbass. Joined: Posts: 1,077
    Tournament event is up on the FB group :

https://www.facebook.com/events/582137288487633/?fref=ts#