Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

Comments

• Fox PocketFox Pocket Barack Arcana Joined: Posts: 300
    Visuals are great, really hope the gameplay holds up though.

Since they're not reusing any old resources I really hope most of the cast from Accent Core+ manages to make it over to this iteration.
    Chaos Code: Cthylla
    Blazblue: Platinum

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Note: I am not a GG player. This looks good. The sprite work is fucking amazing and 3D backgrounds don't bother me. They look like really good 3D backgrounds, total opposite of MVC2 or CVS2. I'm amused that Japan is finally using the UE like virtually every other game developer and one would hope this would make a dedicated PC release more likely.

I guess due to the architecture it will be a next gen ps4/nextbox exclusive, so a pc release is very likely, regarding the first iteration at least.
    too slow!
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,673
    arcsys releasing trailers for new games this early kinda kills my hype for their current game, I became less interested in p4a when they announced BBCP, now I am less interested in BBCP because of this trailer.

Darn you Arcsys.. ;(
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    Kind of lame the designs are pretty much exactly the same outside of a few small details, butstill hype.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    edited May 2013
    Awakening Mode is definitely a comeback mechanic, though (not an awful one but one that can have an impact). Attack durability increase, 50 points of free super meter, 50% super meter expansion, and a hidden super move.

Not the worst comeback mechanic ever but you can't say they haven't done it before.

BlazBlue also has auto Heat gain near-death but it's a slow buildup so it's not that strong an impact.
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • OnirosOniros Joined: Posts: 108
    To Arc System Works:

J9P9CcfisDB7bvCggOHnBnfkMlXaCRHAuMlfTY9MF1SHNE5rLlLIpOglptm4WorAFQ=w1600
    P4A: Chie/GG: Jam/VSav: Q-Bee
    Rival Schools needs to come back!
    edited May 2013
    RoGE9 wrote: »
    arcsys releasing trailers for new games this early kinda kills my hype for their current game, I became less interested in p4a when they announced BBCP, now I am less interested in BBCP because of this trailer.

Darn you Arcsys.. ;(

I don't know where people get this crazy idea that they're only able to play one ArcSys game at a time.

Of course I'll still play both, it's just feels like the focus of the current game lessens because of the new game coming out.

Also I hate how Japan get's the game several months earlier than us on Arcade but what can you do? eh
    Post edited by RoGE9 on
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    Hecatom wrote: »
    FunkyP wrote: »
    Thancruz wrote: »
    Like that it's actually a cel shade that makes you somewhat forget it's a 2.5d game.

Other than that, looks slow, probably going to sell out to slower game speed, lesser execution requirements and hopefully not much more than that. Old GG community will most likely shun this and like BB, will just take on a newer community. Luckily as far as sales go it should do good regardless since it's part of a prestigious fighting game IP so free sales no matter how good or bad like SFIV or UMVC3. Most likely will get an arcade release which means the game will evolve competitively quicker also.
    Don't forget possible comeback mechanics.

Arc Systems didn't put those in any of their games. So I doubt they will start now.

overdrive and awakening

What makes the overdrive a comback mechanic is the fact that its lenght increase when you have less health, otherwise it works like the Dark Forces of DarkStalkers or Heat Up from Battle Fantasia

I wouldn't count Dark force as a comeback more like an invincible start up for super, Do you consider that a comeback mechanic?
    But there is a guts system in Vsav as for actual come back mechanics.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,401
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,838
    Don't really like the graphics. Looks like a cheap anime like the Berserk movies. Really sad to see another major fighting game developer ditch 2D.

That said, it still looks much better than any ghetto 2D Capcom has done, and I will play the shit out of it regardless if it's fun. But so far no 2.5D title has managed to capture the speed and feel of a true 2D game. I hope Arc manages to pull it off though, and please please don't dumb the system down. Keep building over AC's depth.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Crush Claws Joined: Posts: 2,870
    Do people just like to pretend Guts and Bursts don't exist?

Darn you Arcsys.. ;(

I don't know where people get this crazy idea that they're only able to play one ArcSys game at a time.

Of course I'll still play, it's just feels like the focus of the game lessens because of the new game coming out.

Also hate how Japan get's the game several months earlier than us on Arcade but what can you do? eh

If Capcom players can play both Street Fighter and Marvel at the same time without much petty in-fighting, then so can we with Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. Expand the airdasher influence.

It's pretty notable that the Xrd trailer was released in English subs from the get-go, which leads me to believe that with Arc's latest interest in expanding their influence in the Western market, we won't be waiting too long after Japan for this installment.
    "You either love my motion controls...or die."  Shigeru Miyamoto
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,509
    While I would like to be excited for this, I need some proof that it's still going to have all/most of the things that made me like GG in the first place

I like ASW but not all of their recent work has impressed me much
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 23,541
    Mr. X wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic.

Unreal Engine + Fighting Game

Looked fine for MK9 and Injustice. Other than porting issues (assuming this game will be available on current gen) not seeing the issue with Unreal
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • ArkkaiArkkai Yare Yare Daze Joined: Posts: 372
    its-so-beautiful-thumb.jpg
    Xbox GT: Arkkai SRK
    PSN: Arkkai_SRK
    FC: 2165-5935-0661
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,134
    Cronopio wrote: »
    Really sad to see another major fighting game developer ditch 2D.

That's the only thing i want to say about this for now.
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458
    I don't see the change from 2D to 2.5D a big issue, if it looks a feels like GG then why should it matter?

I'm sure Arc Systems felt like they were hitting the ceiling on 2D fighters anyways since they were one of the few surviving anime fighters left...and one of the few to even make it stateside.

I'm just legitimately concerned if GG will make a big impact in the states.
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
  • shatterstarshatterstar still unauthorized Joined: Posts: 8,553
    hoping to NEGRO INSTALL soon.

av by Me
    my av makers: 1. Monkeyspank 2. DarkGiygas 3. aLee 4. givequicheachance 5. Nastradamus 6. OrangeCat 7. Seth 8. Yeah Dood 120% 9. PsychoSquall 10. DarkDragon 11. Master Chibi
    http://officialniapparel.blogspot.com/
    It seems that this game happens 1year after GG 2nd Overture
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,371
    One would hope this would make a dedicated PC release more likely.
    I hope I hope I hope I hope.
    The variety of platforms they could port to using UE is also a good hedge against something like the Steam box blowing up.
    New Jersey
  • CyberAkumaCyberAkuma Part-time Dinosaur Joined: Posts: 1,383
    petran79 wrote: »
    Note: I am not a GG player. This looks good. The sprite work is fucking amazing and 3D backgrounds don't bother me. They look like really good 3D backgrounds, total opposite of MVC2 or CVS2. I'm amused that Japan is finally using the UE like virtually every other game developer and one would hope this would make a dedicated PC release more likely.

I guess due to the architecture it will be a next gen ps4/nextbox exclusive, so a pc release is very likely, regarding the first iteration at least.

I wouldn't be so sure...Ishiwatari talked about making a GG for 360/PS3 a while ago. (See: http://kotaku.com/5436740/guilty-gear-gearing-up-for-360-ps3)

Sure, things can change, but let's be honest. A good number of the mid-tier Japanese developers are not going to be jumping on the next-gen bandwagon right away. And that probably is only more so for more "niche" devs like ASW.

• AionAion Is a Pre-Madonna Joined: Posts: 1,023
    edited May 2013
    Alot of what made GG sprites charming are still present, look at ATG's picture. Sprites are awesome because the stills have alot of detail and personality in them; that's normally lost going 3D because of the animation process (e.g compare 2D Hsien-Ko to her MVC3 abomination)...but somehow Arc have retained it with Xrd, and I don't know how. Unreal Engine, don't mess with it?

Also guys, don't forget that Youtube runs at 30fps...watch this version instead: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1368676986
    It seems that this game happens 1year after GG 2nd Overture

Still Chasing "That Man"?

Not really a big fan of Ky's ponytail but Sol looks cool.
    edited May 2013
    CyberAkuma wrote: »
    petran79 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure...Ishiwatari talked about making a GG for 360/PS3 a while ago. (See: http://kotaku.com/5436740/guilty-gear-gearing-up-for-360-ps3)

Sure, things can change, but let's be honest. A good number of the mid-tier Japanese developers are not going to be jumping on the next-gen bandwagon right away. And that probably is only more so for more "niche" devs like ASW.

Asw is on the list of developers making games for ps4.

image_297983_thumb_wide940.jpg
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Looks like Ky has a different Dust animation.
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,826
    edited May 2013
    CyberAkuma wrote: »
    Sure, things can change, but let's be honest. A good number of the mid-tier Japanese developers are not going to be jumping on the next-gen bandwagon right away.

I call bullshit, ASW didn't waste anytime making Blazblue playable on those expensive beautiful vewlix arcade cabinets, and last time I checked Tekken 6/Tag 2/SFIV/EXVSFB/KOF XIII weren't/aren't played on old ass hardware nowadays either. Trust me, if SNK can make KOF 98UMFE/2002UM Tougeki look good on HD TV's I'm damn sure everyone else worth their salt can make the jump as well.

If they're making a new fighting game it will most likely get a arcade release first, and if you've been keeping up with the Arcadia top 10 these past few years Blazblue since it's release has more or less always been in the top 5 if not number 2 or 1 spot since they're up against Tekken, Gundam, and SFIV. This is just me but given the familiar and even similar architecture of the PS4 compared to arcade machines putting a new more hardware demanding fighting game on it will be a breeze.
    Asw is on the list of developers making games for ps4.

Indeed.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/arc-system-works-working-new-fighting-franchise-concept-ps4

Post edited by krazykone123 on
  • CyclopsPawnchCyclopsPawnch PEW PEW Joined: Posts: 100
    It's a bit vibrant and cartoony, but the animations look amazing. I would be a bit worried if somebody told me that the new GG was in 3D if I hadn't seen the video but honestly I couldn't even tell until the rotation.

I'm just hoping that the mechanics and speed won't get dumbed down and 3DS/Vita versions.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,255
    So is ArcSys required by law to have terrible animation or something? I would have thought that making the jump to 3D models would IMPROVE the animation, but they move to 3D models and still cut the animation either to look more like the 2D sprites or to make the work easier on themselves or something. Either way, it looks bad and I'm disappointed.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    That is why they named it Xrd aka X 3rd
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • yoh001yoh001 Joined: Posts: 148
    I'm hyped.
    FC: 4811 - 7485 - 8425

Pokemon X
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 2,149
    Man seeing Sol perform the Dustloop just makes me think they're gonna stay loyal here. This might genuinely be GG in everything but it's old visuals. Which is, in turn EXACTLY what the world wanted.

So hyped. Though I need to see HD Potemkin Bus tours before I'm 100% sold.

Nah who am I kidding. This shit is day 1.
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

im surprised you didn't say Day 1 localization testing....
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,140
    edited May 2013
    I actually prefer this celshaded style with 3d models above sprites... the way they pulled it off is really well done.
    I've watched how 3D is used in anime like the new Berserk and Cyborg 009, and others and it always has this cheapish feel to it. Somehow after having watched this trailer a few times i don't get
    that "cheapish" feeling, maybe because of the stylized animations, still animation isn't that smooth eventhough they use 3 models. Anyway might be burned for saying this but i also like that it is seems a bit slower, first GG that actually peaked my interest >.>
    SFV: Juri, Cammy
    GGREV: Millia
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348
    edited May 2013
    I am having a hard time containing myself.
    Post edited by SugaFree on

• NekoMicNekoMic Neko Punch! Joined: Posts: 386
    Just need my
    poorlytimedbully.gif
    inoboobies2tr7.gif
    MaySprite.gif
    In HD!!
  • sandwichofdoomsandwichofdoom Hyped for Injustice: Gods among us Joined: Posts: 1,073
    Couple of thoughts.
    1. Hope it is available for this gen.
    2. It's weird seeing the changes in Millia's and Ky's looks, so used to the same outfits for so long that it's strange to see them outside of it. I'll get used to them though,as long as the changes are not too outlandish.
    3. I don't mind the 3d graphics, they managed to emulate the style,and it seems to play the same.
    4. I'm a Faust and Zappa main, so i'm hoping they both get in, generally hoping most of the characters make it actually, as well as some new ones. The 3d models should make this easier to accomplish, since it is less time consuming.
    5. Glad to see Daisuke return, it would not be the same without his music.
    5. Interested in seeing what changes are made to the gameplay, hopefully nothing too drastic, but it's a new game, I expect some will happen.

Overall though just excited to be getting a new game at all.
    MVC3: (Firebrand/Ghost Rider/Dormmamu), (Skrull/Rocket Raccoon/Nova),(Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Shuma Gorath),(Modok/Doctor Strange/Deadpool)
    Mortal Kombat: Kabal,Kenshi GG:Zappa,Faust SSF4: Vega,Bison,Juri 3's: Alex,twelve
    sfxt: Rolento,Hwoarang, King,Lei,Bryan Tekken: Feng, King, Hwoarang,Lei SC:Voldo Skullgirls: Peacock
    Darkstalkers: L.raprtor,Donovan,Jedah,Anakaris. Blazblue: Arakune JoJo's: JoJo, Dio, S.Dio
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 2,149
    Ishiwatari is a master. His music has stood the test of time and has set the standard for over a decade on how FG music should be. I still have the full OST on my iPhone and I still listen to it regularly, I'm beyond glad he's coming back. Kind of hope they remix the themes much like they're doing with the new Blazblue, that shit worked brilliantly.
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

• SynikaLSynikaL Melee Prophet Joined: Posts: 1,689
    Ugh. Why do I get the feeling I won't be playing this for another 2 years at least? When the fuck is +R coming to the states??

In any case, I can't wait to see what new characters they come with.
    "Grandad, this food is destructive!"
    "Boy, what is wrong with you? This food is your culture."
    "Then the culture's destructive."

-The Boondocks
  • CSword123CSword123 oh god OHGOD! why did I think this was a good idea? please... just- I'M SORRY!! Joined: Posts: 1,168
    If they're giving Ky a ponytail, they should cut Bridgets hair. Fair trade, no?

DLC Carl Clover alternate costume for Bridget...
    DLC Bang Shishigami alternate for Chipp...

The list is endless
    KI: Jago
    GG: Chipp/Ky
    UMVC3: Team "Rider May Die" - Ghost Rider/Vergil/Dante
    Best KI community on the webs: www.killerinstinctonline.net
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,255
    SynikaL wrote: »
    Ugh. Why do I get the feeling I won't be playing this for another 2 years at least?

Maybe because the game just recently went into Alpha.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • NekoMicNekoMic Neko Punch! Joined: Posts: 386
    edited May 2013
    CSword123 wrote: »
    If they're giving Ky a ponytail, they should cut Bridgets hair. Fair trade, no?

DLC Carl Clover alternate costume for Bridget...
    DLC Bang Shishigami alternate for Chipp...

The list is endless
    Leave Bridget's hair alone he/she wouldn't be a trap without it.
    I agree with costumes we might be able to get more than just colour swaps now its 2.5D
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    Hod do you pronounce "Xrd"?

X-ird.

like third with an X at the beginning.

I really hope we get some classic ishiwatari tracks that aren't so clean/overly-produced sounding like they are in BB. lo-fi that shit down, for real.

if this is after GG2, is Ky not a king anymore? also thunderseal was supposed to have been "sacrificed" but now it's back. I call bullshit?

real talk though: would totally be down for seeing Sin in this. Eddie not having a different host is a little disappointing though. just let zato rest in peace ; ;
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
    Yeah it's lame Zato is back, Eddie needs a new host.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Do people just like to pretend Guts and Bursts don't exist?

Burst is the opposite of a comeback mechanic. Burst increases each player's defensive options, effectively increasing the size of each player's life bar. This is contrary to X-Factor and Awakening which increase each player's offensive options, making comebacks more likely, and favoring the player who's behind on life.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri