Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

Comments

• yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,034
    edited April 12
    Thanks. I'm okay with all of this. Ill keep an open mind about Sin and further development of the game, I just feel worried with each new character announcement...we havent had a good new character since Johnny. And theyre saying Baiken is going to need time to flesh out, they said the same about Dizzy.

What are her struggles so far? I dont know what im looking at when I watch Rev2 Baiken. Confused as to whay is she trying to accomplish in a match?
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,381
    haven't had a good new character since johnny, you know Raven is the 2nd most recent non Rev2 character and he's good right?
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,340
    I'm trying to remain hopeful for Baiken, since it is still early (although I admit I think we have another Dizzy situation on our hands), but right now when I watch her she just doesn't look at all like Baiken to me. Her counters just look kind of wack, so atm she doesn't seem like the annoying character that forces you to completely alter your pressure that she used to be. Answer on the other hand looks pretty amazing
    Opinions are like bedsheets: you only change them if it helps you get laid.
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,347
    Veserius wrote: »
    I can do fine versus Axl (or at least not that bad). He's like Dhalsim. Sin on the other hand gives me a lot of trouble because I never know when I truly can attack him. And my reactions are bad enough so that overhead is a real threat for me.

so you can't block/6p jumpins/iad either?

On reaction? No.
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • crazymasterhandcrazymasterhand LAZERS PEW PEW Joined: Posts: 281
    There's a lot of stuff you're not going to be able to react to consistently but if you can get a feel for your opponent's habits and anticipate things it will get easier. Or better yet space yourself to limit the number of things they can threaten you with.
    I can do fine versus Axl (or at least not that bad). He's like Dhalsim. Sin on the other hand gives me a lot of trouble because I never know when I truly can attack him. And my reactions are bad enough so that overhead is a real threat for me.

On reaction? No.

that sucks, if my reactions were that poor I think I would only play turn based games.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide

On reaction? No.

that sucks, if my reactions were that poor I think I would only play turn based games.

No need to quit. I pay attention to my opponent's patterns, try to limit their options, space myself accordingly and try to win neutral no matter what. I know I'll never be a top player with trash reactions, but I can have fun online. Trying to circumvent your weakness is the fun part of FGs, right? Hey, I got to gold on SFV using Karin, I know that's not much, but it's something to me. If I ever reach platinum someday I'll be happy. If not, oh well, the road never ends, does it?

The thing with overheads is that, in most games, my opponent must be close in order to hit me with them. This allows me to hit them with light attacks or reversals, or I can just guess and block high. Now, with Sin, he's hitting me with an overhead from a distance that I normally don't have to block high and that is what makes this MU so annoying for me. I think I would rather be on the corner against Milia than being on neutral vs Sin xD.
  • digos25digos25 PIMBA PIMBA PIMBA Joined: Posts: 516
    @Raging_Zoroark Faust also has an OH that hits very far and it's faster than Sin, if you can't react to Sins OH than you must take Fausts OH all day.
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 384

Dhalsim with a dragon punch, command grab, and counters. Pot has a lot of bad match-ups that are still fun, but I loathe fighting Axl.
  • WhizardWhizard CFN: Whizard Joined: Posts: 510
    How did you guys go about developing your knowledge to get better at GG?

I've recently made the transition because SFV has become boring for the time being and I've always been an anime fan.

I've started with Sin as when I get a chance to hit, he still does good damage even if the combo's aren't ridiculously hard and I know that he is one of the 'easier' characters to play. My problem is, as I'm new, I get mauled a lot especially from characters like Jam/Bedman/Sol.

I was wondering if there was any kind of process you took which I could utilise that would help me out. I probably couldn't even replicate what they were hitting me with and I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm finding it very hard to see whether an overhead or a low is coming so I get blown up a lot. They can come at any time during a chain and I'm not ready for it, maybe I've got used to the slow nature of SF in comparison.

I would like to play with someone of experience while on discord or something as getting destroyed by random people online often leaves me baffled haha.
    Lots of training mode, and watch match footage multiple times at slower speed even if you have. If you watch a lot of the game you get used to seeing stuff and knowing how it works.

Also the in game challenge stuff covers some of the hard to see stuff like millia high/low.

It's like learning any other game though, learn how stuff works > training mode it > make it a point of emphasis in your play instead of worrying about winning. Be that execution, footsie ranges, AA, defense, oki, whatever.

Like i wanted to find more fuzzy stuff for raven other than the established strings that have circulated around, and Raven players HATE labwork. So I said "well i know my fuzzy buttons are j.s or j.k, so how do i put myself in position to be at the right height for a fuzzy?"

So I went and looked at what other characters would do and at my own character's current setups and came up with some stuff by just trying stuff out in training mode, and now i have new tech.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,172
    edited April 13
    Generally I just identify what's hitting me and how they're setting up that situation, and then I test a bunch of ways to deal with it. It does mean I'll lose a bunch of games in the process, but I'd lose those games anyway, so whatever.
    If that doesn't work I can usually also ask the player in question, or set the situation up in training mode (provided it's something I can do; I don't have the execution to set up Zato / Ramlethal unblockables for example).

GG has a lot of those unique situations that'll kill you if you don't know how to deal with them, so getting good at this game means you'll have to be prepared to lose to stuff that seems dumb in the first place. It gets better with experience, and it should also be noted that a lot of players rely on a very narrow flowchart and instantly lose if you can break that apart.

Situational awareness is perhaps the most important skill you can have in this game, both in neutral and on defense. Knowing what tools you need to think about in certain situations will go a long way in helping you improve (this goes for @Raging_Zoroark 's comment about Sin's overhead and AAing as well; it's not hard to do if you know what situations you need to be ready).

If you're EU and on Steam we can probably play some games later if you want some feedback.
  • WhizardWhizard CFN: Whizard Joined: Posts: 510
    Naeras wrote: »
    Snip.

Thanks for both inputs, I figured the answer would just end up being 'Training mode, playing loads' which I intend to do. Just wondered if I was missing anything.

Like both of you said just playing and watching more will help me recognise certain situations where I have to be prepared for a select couple of options the opponent has.

Naeras I'd love to but I only own it on PS4 sadly. I'll just keep grinding away online and working my way through the missions/training until I have a better understanding. I think Defence is the key thing to work on first because one hit can turn the entire game.
    Also keep in mind that getting mauled (especially by a character like Sol) is just part of the game. Even at high level Sol can make a few right reads and perfect you in like 15 seconds. The only thing you can do is look toward the next round so it doesn't happen again
    I just force myself to do new stuff even it makes me lose.
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 135
    edited April 14
    For me, the hardest part was just learning the mechanics and trying to chunk as much information as possible to digest it.
    Like, in the early days, I ignored shit like attack level and guts and whatnot, and just was trying to grasp the 3 different blocks, generally.
    Then you scaffold it a bit and start taking in more details, but its' really hard to go in, thinking you have 1 thing mastered and without the rest of the package, it's not really useful.
    Getting used to 6P being the anti air took a long ass time for me.

In terms of offense, YRC and PRC is a lot easier to understand than FRC from the older games, so that helped immensely.
    Then I got used to the attack levels, counter hits, etc.
    PSN: m1x4h
    I play Venom in Guilty Gear.
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,344
    * I apologize in advance for this contribute that I give wonderful thread*

GGXrdR Online lobbies sucks, can we go back to -SIGN- ?
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,172
    edited April 14
    Weeaboo wrote: »

No they don't. Best lobby system since Phantasy Star Online.

Or rather, it IS PSO's lobby system, and it fills me with lovely nostalgia.
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,506

whats the difference?
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,284
    appomo wrote: »

whats the difference?

Nothing, he is talking nonsense.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    edited April 15

35MIN40SEC

Ok...now we are cooking with fire. Rev2 makes it pretty evident that you want to play Ram with swords at all times unless youre going for a sword setup on knockdown you need to recall sword. Pressure from iad +SH 214S/HS looks real cute

All this time im thinking the character is meant to set swords, but it seems like she cant afford to have bad neutral so its best to call the sword back and sacrifice a pressure situation for more tools. Shes starting to click now. Even though I would LOVE for a special that activates swords in -SH
    timecode tutorial for srk because no one reads

blahblahblah/videoID#t=35(time in seconds)

so yours would be 2135

Noted. I realized it was wrong after I posted it but Youtube generates an embed link but SRK doesnt recognize the timestamp code. *shrug*
    appomo wrote: »

whats the difference?
    In sign, you can't move around and fish.
    You also don't have the stations to play. Gotta join player match lobbies.
    training mode in the lobby is the best
    The only thing I don't like about lobby training mode is that, as far as I know, there is no way of knowing when someone has joined your room/sat at a station. I wish there was some sort of notification for that (if there is, please let me know how to set it up).
    The only thing I don't like about lobby training mode is that, as far as I know, there is no way of knowing when someone has joined your room/sat at a station. I wish there was some sort of notification for that (if there is, please let me know how to set it up).
    You gotta turn on room notifications. You'll see when someone joins the room. The prob is the thing pops up when you're in a match too which can be distracting.
  • WeechoWeecho Hardcore Lurker Joined: Posts: 991
    If anyone looking for some Baiken stuff.

• MimebladeMimeblade That One Dude Joined: Posts: 62
    It's been forever since I visited these forums.

Hi guys, how you doing?
    http://gear-project.tumblr.com/tagged/FAQ < Everything you need to know about Guilty Gear!
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 3,498
    Baiken's new theme:

Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine
    Is Baiken a lesbian?
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,264
    Is Baiken a lesbian?

Don't think there is evidence either way. She's just a rough chick.

Practicing chipp recently since I think he'll be even more solid next time around and I never realized the dexterity some of that shit took. I still hate Chipp but some respect has been earned.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,420
    How was Baiken's health in previous games? Did she pay the vagina tax like the other girls? I don't really like playing pixie characters.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 62
    How was Baiken's health in previous games? Did she pay the vagina tax like the other girls? I don't really like playing pixie characters.

Her defense modifier in Rev2 is 1.18, which will be the third worst in the game (only Millia and Chipp are squishier). On the other hand, her Guts is 4, so damage will start to scale pretty favorably for her towards the end of rounds. Altogether though, yeah, she bleeds pretty hard. As Skiegh said, the poor health is meant to balance the fact that she has access to a unique set of defensive options no other character really has.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,420
    I see. I hope her stances aren't really as bad in this game as someone is saying.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
    Anyone knows what Johnny steals from Answer and Baiken with his "Treasure Hunt" super?
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,264
    Honestly, May and Kum both have a lot of life. Your life is much more about your tools in GG than SF's vagina tax they have had since SF4.

Could you imagine Chipp with Sol life? Dear god.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    Neclord wrote: »
    Is Baiken a lesbian?

Strong independent woman = must be a lesbian????
    Chick with an eyepatch, deep voice, one arm and smokes cigarettes is a little more than what I would call "independent"

She's very butch. Even from a design standpoint they made her model heavier in Xrd
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,554
    She is very butch but when you look at her back story it makes a lot of sense, she's been through A LOT.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • BERSERKERRRBERSERKERRR mathemagician Joined: Posts: 109
    you should be getting a notification when someone joins (might be in settings.) other than that, there's also a number display on the lower right of your screen showing the total # of players in the lobby, so even if you're briefly afk when someone joins you can tell if there's someone there.
    retsu go justin
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,501
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Having such a deep, long winded conversation about the sexuality of a fighting game character is 99% of my justification for avoiding the anime FGC until Xrd came out.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,554
    Yea man it's really dominating the conversation :rolleyes:
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.