Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

Comments

• grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2016
    Tachikawa Toushinsai Qualifier:

Suzume is back on the scene (First Johnny). Can't wait until Tsubu, Ruu and Shonen get their characters back.
    Post edited by grandabx on
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,738
    BB also has wall bounces and OTGs all over the place, but the movement feels little less chaotic than in Xrd, where you have people basically air dashing most of the time, BB feels somewhat more grounded, unless you of course have somebody like Hazama who just harpoons all over the screen

Funny you say that since BB has few attacks that are actually grounded compared to GG meaning that you are safer blocking in the air on BB compared to GG.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,855
    Hecatom wrote: »
    BB also has wall bounces and OTGs all over the place, but the movement feels little less chaotic than in Xrd, where you have people basically air dashing most of the time, BB feels somewhat more grounded, unless you of course have somebody like Hazama who just harpoons all over the screen

Funny you say that since BB has few attacks that are actually grounded compared to GG meaning that you are safer blocking in the air on BB compared to GG.

Well, again, last time I played BlazBlue was like 4 years ago, so I might as well be completely wrong about BB's general gameplay compared to Xrd
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,882
    I will say that one thing that always messes me up in GG is that essentially "Barrier Blocking" takes up your meter, whereas in BB it has its own separate bar. Too many times I've been embarrassed by "shit, I had enough for that super a second ago", lol.
    Naeras wrote: »
    What are the actual differences between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue in terms of gameplay?

I'm asking because someone was really surprised that I liked GG as much as I do when I'm very fond of playing the neutral game, and not all that interested in advanced okizeme or combo optimization. He apparently considers GG to be "80% combos and setplay", and thought BB apparently would seem more appealing to me since that game supposedly is less focused on those things.

All I know is that I've played BB for an hour and didn't like it. The gameplay didn't flow in a way I thought enjoyable, and the combos were way too long for my liking. Meanwhile, Xrd hooked me instantly, largely because I actually liked how certain characters function in neutral, and the flow between neutral and offense.

Just curious on what other people think about this.

The knock-down game:

Guilty Gear = Street Fighter 3

Blazblue = Tekken

Also, in Blazblue there's more variety in play-styles as in there are aggressive, trap-zoning and long-distance zoning styles (as in staying as far as possible from the opponent). Axl is the closest thing GG has when it comes to heavy zoning (unless Justice is brought back in AC+R form), but he's nothing like V-13. BB also has different types of grapple characters (Tager, Amane and Bullet).
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    Uh...I wouldn't really say Amane's a grappling character. But Tager and Bullet are certainly pretty different.
    edited August 2016
    grandabx wrote: »
    What are the actual differences between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue in terms of gameplay?

I'm asking because someone was really surprised that I liked GG as much as I do when I'm very fond of playing the neutral game, and not all that interested in advanced okizeme or combo optimization. He apparently considers GG to be "80% combos and setplay", and thought BB apparently would seem more appealing to me since that game supposedly is less focused on those things.

All I know is that I've played BB for an hour and didn't like it. The gameplay didn't flow in a way I thought enjoyable, and the combos were way too long for my liking. Meanwhile, Xrd hooked me instantly, largely because I actually liked how certain characters function in neutral, and the flow between neutral and offense.

The knock-down game:

Blazblue = Tekken

Also, in Blazblue there's more variety in play-styles as in there are aggressive, trap-zoning and long-distance zoning styles (as in staying as far as possible from the opponent). Axl is the closest thing GG has when it comes to heavy zoning (unless Justice is brought back in AC+R form), but he's nothing like V-13. BB also has different types of grapple characters (Tager, Amane and Bullet).

You have Sol, Slayer and May on GG :razz: (going by your inclussion of Amane)
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Amane a grappler LOL this thread keeps on delivering
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,868
    Bullet's about as much of a grappler as Sol is honestly. Maybe even less so; dunking people is a much more integral part of Sol's gameplan after all.

BB is a much harder game than GG, but to me it often felt like you were playing underwater with the friction that movement has. That and changing the Marvel long combos every edition turned me off.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    BB just sparkled too much for me.
    Hecatom wrote: »

The knock-down game:

Blazblue = Tekken

You have Sol, Slayer and May on GG :razz: (going by your inclussion of Amane)

Different types. Sol, Slayer and May have "A" command grab (so does Zato). Amane has at least five normals and two specials that snag the opponent , fling them around and control space using them. A better example would've been be Jack-O. People think "grappler" and immediately think of Zangief's style being the only way to setup grab situations. Look at Clark from from the pre-KOF 13 games with moves like anti-airs and dashes mixed in with grab follow-ups. Bullet doesn't take a "traditional" approach using a lock-on mechanic from a distance to catch the opponent not blocking. A command grab as you know doesn't have to be un-blockable, up-close or even do high damage. A grappler doesn't have to be slow or lacking good neutral non-grappling options either. In other games, some grapplers have projectiles and can teleport (Jason and Ferra in MK).
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Amane still isn't a grappler you dumbass lol
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,134 mod
    About go scrub it up at a GG tournament. Go team low tier.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    edited August 2016
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Bullet's about as much of a grappler as Sol is honestly. Maybe even less so; dunking people is a much more integral part of Sol's gameplan after all.

BB is a much harder game than GG, but to me it often felt like you were playing underwater with the friction that movement has. That and changing the Marvel long combos every edition turned me off.

Can Sol snatch you up from half screen away after a mistake? Look at the burst meter when Bullet is doing her thing. It's crossed out. When Sol is comboing, you can still burst.

Can Sol snatch you up from half screen away after a mistake? Look at the burst meter when Bullet is doing her thing. It's crossed out. When Sol is comboing, you can still burst.

Axl has an almost full screen command grab. He sure as shit ain't a grappler. Raven has a half screen command grab and an anti air one. He's not a grappler. Attack throws are not grapples, they're strikes with a follow up animation.

Grappler actually means something people, quit watering it down. Tager is a super respectable grappler
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,278 mod
    Kan Ra in KI is a real full screen grappler. 20 frame start up untechable grab that reaches about half screen. Best way to describe him is a long ranged grappler with zoning capabilities. He's also part of the Season 2 cast which generally is full of anime influences.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

Axl has an almost full screen command grab. He sure as shit ain't a grappler. Raven has a half screen command grab and an anti air one. He's not a grappler. Attack throws are not grapples, they're strikes with a follow up animation.

Grappler actually means something people, quit watering it down. Tager is a super respectable grappler

You're thinking in a traditional sense. I know how you feel because I used to think like that as well.

Axl has a projectile that grabs since his long-range specials come out so fast it's suppose to be used while conditioning you to stay still and block. That move isn't used for controlling space or combo opportunities or even oki setup. It's used to stop them just blocking hooks all the time. It's rare to see anyone even use it. Bullet's Drive is her main offensive tool and one that allows her to utilize her other grabs.

There is more than one way to be considered a grappling character these days.

You're thinking in a traditional sense. I know how you feel because I used to think like that as well.

Axl has a projectile that grabs since his long-range specials come out so fast it's suppose to be used while conditioning you to stay still and block. That move isn't used for controlling space or combo opportunities or even oki setup. It's used to stop them just blocking hooks all the time. It's rare to see anyone even use it. Bullet's Drive is her main offensive tool and one that allows her to utilize her other grabs.

There is more than one way to be considered a grappling character these days.

Axl is the ur-space control character. Literally his own blind spot is directly over his head. Rensen is a great move but it's a beam, not a fireball. The point is to have an attack which doesn't lose to counter pokes and fireballs.

Grappling isn't just controlling space. It's a specific kind of gameplan. Otherwise the term is meaningless
    I get it, Amane is a grappler because you literally changed the definition of grappler from what it's supposed to be lol
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,443
    Angry Abel wrote: »
    @Psaro I'd say Axl is a definite 7-3, and some others are close to it but definitely winnable.

Two of Pot's major problems (outside of grappler archetype) are a lackadaisical oki and poor mid-screen damage. I feel 2S vacuum would help alleviate this. Also 2S->6k does not combo at certain ranges and can be punished. He has to be quite close for it to combo.

2D special cancel is an interesting idea. Not sure how useful it would be though.
    I think having the OH would be a bit much as well; also now with 6K he gets some pretty nifty corner combos and is at advantage during pressure after it's blocked (when cancelled into Hammerfall~Break). Trishula seems like it is pretty solid when YRC'd for oki (someone who plays him can say for sure) so that seems like a decent addition. 2HS wall bounce would be cool, but can't he get an ICPM KD off of 2HS, HFB anyway? Or is that character specific?

Sorry, my bad, I meant a wall bounce off 6HS not 2HS. I've edited my post. But you're right, he can combo into ICPM off 2HS, though it's very hard (FAB drops it quite often). Trishula is good for oki in the corner, but outside of that it's rarely used.

EDIT: @<;Insert Name Here> Not complaining! Enjoying the game as it is, and if there were no changes I'll keep playing & feasting on lesser souls.

Gotcha. Yeah 6H wall stick would be pretty sweet, but he can still get some absolutely massive damage off it, especially on a CH in the corner. About that combo, it is pretty tricky. Oddly enough I was having the most trouble getting it on Millia rather than heavier characters (I started practicing it for no apparent reason). Is it possible to squeeze in 2 hits before the 2H, or are you just able to do something like 2K, 2H? Either way it seems quite strong, definitely seems like something worthwhile to grind out despite the difficulty
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 387
    Just the one hit I believe, as two hits push of him out of range. It's very good off megafist rrc (but megafist has to connect at the proper range). I stopped trying it in matches as I was dropping it too often, so just use clS 2HS Heat...less damage and worse oki than the ICPM combo though.
    Big ups to Xanadu's own Coma making it all the way to GF in Summer Jam yesterday:
    I hear Coma had dat old man defense at SJ
    I hear Coma had dat old man defense at SJ

He was just playing an all around solid game. For some reason (nerves probably) he was dropping a lot of his IADs, so he started doing the basic 3 or 4 buttons into 2D/HCL stuff. It just goes to show that really fundamental play can get you pretty far
    edited August 2016
    Edit: Well THAT was awkward.
    What was awkward?
    Reading about Amane being a grappler I'm sure ecks dee
    Just out of pure curiousity, does anyone know how the ranking systems work? And how the US ranking system compares to the Japanese one?
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,428
    What was awkward?

Oh, I accidentally posted something here I meant to put in the wrestling thread.
    NeoBlood wrote: »

Sparkled? lol

My only problem with BB is that combos are too long. It's like watching a combo exhibition over and over.
    NeoBlood wrote: »

Sparkled? lol

My only problem with BB is that combos are too long. It's like watching a combo exhibition over and over.

In reality is only some chars, and they have become even shorter with each iteration.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    So yesterday battling an I-No in Ranked, and she wins the first round. Second is close, but it ends in a double KO. I think 'damn, so close...' but the game gives me the round and I proceed to win the third.

That I-No must've been very salty..
    Not letting people win off of double KOs is something other fighting games should emulate.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,134 mod
    doesn't the game zoom in all anime like when the winning hits are about to clash?

Its fucking amazing looking.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Pertho wrote: »
    doesn't the game zoom in all anime like when the winning hits are about to clash?

Its fucking amazing looking.

IIRC, it occurs both when there is a clash when both characters are at a certain thresehold, and when there is a trade and both characters are really low.
    Angry Abel wrote: »
    So yesterday battling an I-No in Ranked, and she wins the first round. Second is close, but it ends in a double KO. I think 'damn, so close...' but the game gives me the round and I proceed to win the third.

That I-No must've been very salty..

Most if not all ASW games give the win to the losing player when there is a DKO, but if both are at their match point then it goes to the next round until there is winner, if by 9th round of the match there is no winner, the game gives both players a lose and (if they are on an arcade) they lose their credit.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    edited August 2016
    Pertho wrote: »
    I understand Raven now: its millia for retards.

Okay, ArcSys, Okay.

Mind the salt everyone.

He's got a harder time than Millia against characters with either good defense (such as Axl) or good mobility, but a better time if they just have good neutral due to his pokes. Makes for a much more balanced set of matchups
    Post edited by Muttonman on
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,428
    Also Millia's vortex is a lot harder to escape once you get put in the blender, at least from my experience.
  • TheCrimsonPugilistTheCrimsonPugilist Pugilist Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 95
    edited August 2016
    Found out you can stream Revelator to PC using Playstation Now. Haven't tried online yet, but it's been pretty smooth offline so far. Really cool for trying out some of the new chars. Using a 7 day free trial, but I may purchase a subscription if online isn't so bad.
    "Giving your all is the mark of a true champion."

Steam /Youtube/Twitch: TheCrimsonPugilist
    CFN ID: SuperCaptainAce / CrimsonPugilist
    XBL: SuperCaptainAce

SFV: Ed, Balrog, Guile
    USFIV: Dudley, Fei Long, Cody
    TTT2: Steve Fox & Jin Kazama, Steve Fox & Miguel, Lee Chaolan & Baek Doo San
    KI: Fulgore, Spinal, TJ Combo
    SF3:3S: Dudley, Ryu, Akuma
    UNIEL: Mika, Akatsuki, Gordeau
    KOFXIV: Nelson, Hein, Geese
    GGREV: Johnny
    Now you block bitch!