Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

Comments

• RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,694
    edited August 2016
    edit: nevermind what I said in this post earlier.

I use to play Sol but then I switched to Ky, he's more of my kind of character. It's pretty fun knocking people down and forcing them to block then mix them up with low airdash overhead or empty jump low heh.
    Post edited by RoGE9 on
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,406
    Combo'ing characters like Millia and Jam in the corner with I-No makes me want to die...her optimal damage+oki routes are such a pain on them
    Opinions are like bedsheets: you only change them if it helps you get laid.
  • PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 76
    Combo'ing characters like Millia and Jam in the corner with I-No makes me want to die...her optimal damage+oki routes are such a pain on them

It's things like this that make me glad that almost all of Zato's stuff is more or less universal. Allows me to spend more time labbing things other than optimal character specific conversions.
    edited September 2016
    Psaro wrote: »

It's things like this that make me glad that almost all of Zato's stuff is more or less universal. Allows me to spend more time labbing things other than optimal character specific conversions.

Yeah that's a really big advantage. With I-No going for both damage + oki in the corner on certain characters (the Valentine sisters in particular) is nigh impossible. I've been practicing it for a minute and it still seems inconsistent :/

Also, I was messing around with May a bit; she's an extremely fun character to me. Something about her combos/the fact that she puts so much shit on the screen is enjoyable
    Post edited by drunkards_walk on
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,355
    May is underplayed as all hell, and I have no idea why. There are really only two things that are truly difficult about her: converting random jS / jHS / beach ball hits in neutral into full damage and knockdowns, and figuring out how you want to play her. She's really open-ended, as evidenced by the fact that the two best May-players (Ruu and Kedako) make it look like they're not playing the same character.

Also she punches dudes with an anchor, therefore she is the best.
    Naeras wrote: »
    May is underplayed as all hell, and I have no idea why. There are really only two things that are truly difficult about her: converting random jS / jHS / beach ball hits in neutral into full damage and knockdowns, and figuring out how you want to play her. She's really open-ended, as evidenced by the fact that the two best May-players (Ruu and Kedako) make it look like they're not playing the same character.

Also she punches dudes with an anchor, therefore she is the best.

Yeah I don't really understand why shes so underplayed, because she's quite fun. I guess it's because she's a charge character and maybe the setplay intimidates people. One of the challenges I've been having is getting that initial KD so I can start running oki, but once you get it she's solid. Beach ball yrc cross up is tricky as hell
    Charge being a deterrent makes sense, since a lot of people don't like that control scheme. The setplay aspect doesn't imo. Even her perfect dolphin cancels aren't that hard to execute imo. The hard part is that first 2D or Ensenga.

Admittedly I've mostly dropped her now, as the things I enjoyed most about her was stuff other characters did better. Ky and Venom are both better at zoning with normals and filling the screen with stuff, while Sol plays the command grab offense better. What sets May apart is her nigh-unseeable setplay combined with her stupidly high damage, but ultimately that wasn't what I wanted from a main. She's still a character I enjoy playing though.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod
    You don't even need to worry about hard knock downs and Oki. You can just jump around like an idiot hitting buttons and throwing random dolphins and that shit can be hard to deal with. Her hitboxes are hella good; slayer can't do shit about half of them. :lol:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Well, Slayer's probably May's easiest matchup, so... *shrug*

Her normals have crazy good hitboxes. Mr. Dolphin, not so much. It gets stuffed by absolutely everything, and by nature of being charge moves they're easy to sniff out.
    That being said, oh my god how fun it is to troll people with dolphins if they don't know how to deal with them. Just do 2-3 dolphins in a row and people will start throwing things at you. :3
    edited September 2016
    I really enjoy running her as a sub. I feel like what sets her apart, in addition to the solid setplay and stupid damage (especially on CH) is the fact that she can control the sky very well. She has the best air throw range in the game, amazing air normals, and a really good jump. I feel like only I-No, Bedman, and Chipp can compete with her as far as sky control goes

Also, the setplay being a deterrent is just a theory I have. However, I didn't mean that it was hard execution wise, but just that it can perhaps seem overwhelming to learn. I certainly wouldn't say she requires a lot of execution prowess like Chipp or I-No; in some ways she reminds me of Bedman: relatively easy combos/confirms, but, as I mentioned, a good amount of setups to get familiar with
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 385
    There a discord league starting up soon for NA. Mage sure you guys sign up --> https://www.evernote.com/shard/s605/nl/105409109/0ac1ec86-51c4-4c98-a7ad-a50db5b07db0
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,834
    I don't like to think of May as setplay but rather as a setup character. Much like Ram she needs to take time to get her stuff on screen before she can really play the same game as the rest of the cast. Venom is also in this category; there's a lot to learn about playing around their mechanics which gives then a higher thinking barrier to entry rather than an execution barrier.
    I'd say she's both. Beach ball and Applause definitely give her some of the most interesting options both to control space with and to approach, and understanding how to use these tools (especially ball, which has some serious drawbacks in spite of being a great move) is quite difficult. But setplay is still one of her strong suits. P-Ball YRC-crossups and her PDC-vortex are really difficult to block without having to resort to guessing, and give her about a billion damage and stun. Without it, her offense is basically diet Sol.
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,381
    Angry Abel wrote: »
    There a discord league starting up soon for NA. Mage sure you guys sign up --> https://www.evernote.com/shard/s605/nl/105409109/0ac1ec86-51c4-4c98-a7ad-a50db5b07db0

Can you shoot me another link, the current one saids its no longer exist.
    I'd say she's both. Beach ball and Applause definitely give her some of the most interesting options both to control space with and to approach, and understanding how to use these tools (especially ball, which has some serious drawbacks in spite of being a great move) is quite difficult. But setplay is still one of her strong suits. P-Ball YRC-crossups and her PDC-vortex are really difficult to block without having to resort to guessing, and give her about a billion damage and stun. Without it, her offense is basically diet Sol.

Oh don't get me wrong, May has some wicked Oki. But so do Venom and Ram. Hell, most characters do. But in terms of characterizing how she plays I'd focus on the "get shit on the screen and play around it with big air normals" factor over "make her stop airthrowing me out of setups in the corner"
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    edited September 2016
    May 5H counterhit is one of the most satisfying counterhits I've enjoyed in recent fighting games. Tied with Hakumen CH 5C and Asuka u/f+2.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
    Weeaboo wrote: »

Can you shoot me another link, the current one saids its no longer exist.

@Weeaboo

About --> https://www.evernote.com/shard/s632/sh/0ac1ec86-51c4-4c98-a7ad-a50db5b07db0/3edb7e215850a95d70f5a645f300e82a

Discord channel --> https://discordapp.com/channels/96087513696854016/96087513696854016

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Godsgarden #11 top 8. Damn good footage. Machaboo commenting because he got blown up in pools (!).

Also fuck lv3 Mist Finer vs Ky. =(
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2016
    Godsgarden prvoided video evidence showing that the Chipp MU is literally impossible for I-No
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,811
    To be fair, one of the best descriptions for Chipp's matchups I've heard is "he's winning until you hit him".
    PSN: rayplay
    Best widowmaker in North Korea.
    "He's gonna switch to wireless mid greed sever."
    edited September 2016
    rayplay wrote: »
    To be fair, one of the best descriptions for Chipp's matchups I've heard is "he's winning until you hit him".

Well really that's the only thing keeping it from being a total blow up: the fact that if she manages to get him pinned down he bleeds life sooo hard, especially off stuff like fortissimo, hcl/vcl yrc, j.S, and j.D. However, she still has to hit him, which is no easy task as he completely controls the neutral and has buttons that body her both grounded and in the air. It's just a really fucking hard MU

Well really that's the only thing keeping it from being a total blow up: the fact that if she manages to get him pinned down he bleeds life sooo hard, especially off stuff like fortissimo, hcl/vcl yrc, j.S, and j.D. However, she still has to hit him, which is no easy task as he completely controls the neutral and has buttons that body her both grounded and in the air. It's just a really fucking hard MU

That's just Chipp; craziest pixie to ever exist and be balanced.
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Call me when you've played Axl vs. Chipp
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
    I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who hasn't said "man Chipp is such a hard matchup for my character =(".
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,831
    I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who hasn't said "man Chipp is such a hard matchup for my character =(".

Have you talked to many Johnny players?
    edited September 2016
    Muttonman wrote: »

It's not really though (at least not in this specific MU), he has bad matchups and good matchups; the I-No one just happens to be really fucking bad. Certain characters I'd imagine can compete with him on the ground due to superior buttons (Maybe Johnny, Elph, and Ky) while others can possibly compete in the air (Bedman and May?). I-No can do neither :/
    Post edited by drunkards_walk on
    GodsGarden11 was hype.

He didn't win God's Garden, but Rion's Ky is bloody amazing to watch. His neutral is other worldly.

Felt sorry for Daru. Didn't think he got to show off what he's capable of.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod

That match is a pain for Slayer. It's like milliia but with teleport. Good thing he bleeds because touching him is a pain in the ass.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    GodsGarden11 was hype.

He didn't win God's Garden, but Rion's Ky is bloody amazing to watch. His neutral is other worldly.

Ky's neutral in general is amazing, but especially with Rion at the helm...really his whole toolset is godlike, but can we take a moment to talk about just how fucking strong Stun Edge YRC is?

It's not really though (at least not in this specific MU), he has bad matchups and good matchups; the I-No one just happens to be really fucking bad. Certain characters I'd imagine can compete with him on the ground due to superior buttons (Maybe Johnny, Elph, and Ky) while others can possibly compete in the air (Bedman and May?). I-No can do neither :/

I used to main Axl; the I-No/Axl and Chipp/I-No matchups are nowhere near as bad as the Chipp/Axl matchup. That and Milia are probably some of the most lopsided matchups around (along with Axl/Pot the other way around)
    I-No v Axl is considered a 7-3 by most people. I don't play Axl, so I can't really comment on the Chipp MU, but you're saying it's at least 7-3 or 8-2?
    I-No v Axl is considered a 7-3 by most people. I don't play Axl, so I can't really comment on the Chipp MU, but you're saying it's at least 7-3 or 8-2?

I-No actually occasionally beats Axl at big name tournaments such as EVO. This doesn't really happen with Axl vs Chipp. I-No might have a much higher risk on her gameplan vs Axl, but it still exists; you can hoverdash over low pokes, follow the Note in, all that good stuff. Axl simply has the ability to also poke you out of them, making it riskier. Axl does not have a real gameplan against Chipp outside of hoping for a YRC Rensen to pressure.
    GodsGarden11 was hype.

Ky's neutral in general is amazing, but especially with Rion at the helm...really his whole toolset is godlike, but can we take a moment to talk about just how fucking strong Stun Edge YRC is?

Yes.
    It almost singlehandedly elevates him from being merely a good character to being a great character. It's absolutely crazy how much mileage you can get out of it.

I'm also mad salty about Rion playing as amazing as he did, and then just get Johnny'd at the end. Seeing lv3 Mist Finer just shut down Ky f.S as an option was painful =(

I have no experience against competent Chipp players, but it's supposedly one of Ky's worst matchups.
    edited September 2016

I-No actually occasionally beats Axl at big name tournaments such as EVO. This doesn't really happen with Axl vs Chipp. I-No might have a much higher risk on her gameplan vs Axl, but it still exists; you can hoverdash over low pokes, follow the Note in, all that good stuff. Axl simply has the ability to also poke you out of them, making it riskier. Axl does not have a real gameplan against Chipp outside of hoping for a YRC Rensen to pressure.

The annoying thing about I no v Axl is that it seems like it's almost in Axl's best interest to spam DP non-stop anytime she gets close. Even with all her safe jump setups, all it takes is one connection and she's kind of fucked. Coma told me that he's even wary of random Axl in tournament because of how tough it is. Regarding Axl v Chipp, I'm not sure I've ever seen it tbh, we really need more Axl players around, but I can imagine it's tough considering the mobility options at his disposal and Axl's kind of slow normals. Plus Axl isn't exactly an explosive pressure/mix up character like I-No, so when he gets close it isn't as scary.

About Ky v Chipp, I was just naming characters with good grounded/air normals, not necessarily characters that have good MU vs him; however, I'm not sure I'm convinced it would be that bad, what makes him struggle so much? I completely agree about Stun Edge YRC, that shit is just dominating. Especially if they add in 2K to the mix, then it almost becomes: spend 25 meter to win neutral lol
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    edited September 2016
    There's a GIF somewhere which shows Axl serenely DPing every time I-No gets close

Fuck Chipp. Vs Millia I actually don't mind as much anymore because after playing the local Millia a ton I feel like I understand it a lot better. It still sucks but I don't hate playing it these days.
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world

The annoying thing about I no v Axl is that it seems like it's almost in Axl's best interest to spam DP non-stop anytime she gets close. Even with all her safe jump setups, all it takes is one connection and she's kind of fucked. Coma told me that he's even wary of random Axl in tournament because of how tough it is. Regarding Axl v Chipp, I'm not sure I've ever seen it tbh, we really need more Axl players around, but I can imagine it's tough considering the mobility options at his disposal and Axl's kind of slow normals. Plus Axl isn't exactly an explosive pressure/mix up character like I-No, so when he gets close it isn't as scary.

About Ky v Chipp, I was just naming characters with good grounded/air normals, not necessarily characters that have good MU vs him; however, I'm not sure I'm convinced it would be that bad, what makes him struggle so much? I completely agree about Stun Edge YRC, that shit is just dominating. Especially if they add in 2K to the mix, then it almost becomes: spend 25 meter to win neutral lol

Oh, I've totally scummed rounds off of Coma before thanks to it, but you really shouldn't miss safe jumps against his slow as hell DP. It's really just a threat for when you're in his face trying to do hop mixups. The fact that Axl has no jab means that his options to get you off him are all high risk/low reward.
    @zenzen commented a few pages back that he thought Chipp was "one of Ky's 2 serious problem matchups" (the other one being Faust), which makes sense since characters that disrupt neutral well tend to do well against Ky. Maybe he can elaborate further on it since, as mentioned, I don't have that much experience with it.

It's certainly not unwinnable (Rion ran a train on Endou at Godsgarden), and Chipp being Chipp he WILL die if you manage to pin him down. Also, a lot of his teleport stuff is just shenanigans before he has meter (inputting 4S+HS when he teleports is an useful OS with Ky and Venom). However, it makes sense that Ky can't play to his strengths in this MU.
  • buttlordbuttlord Joined: Posts: 31
    kensou did an in depth thing on chipp vs ky a month or two back. from what i remember chipp's wall cling corner oki can be made safe against all of ky's options except blitz and 2D beats a lot of ky's buttons in neutral especially 2S
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Two words: Wario Woods

I was checking out this guide for Killer Instinct and man, it's extremely good. This sort of layout would be nice to do for GG to help those new players: http://ki.infil.net/
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.