Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

Comments

• TetsuroTetsuro Joined: Posts: 705
    I'm personally conflicted on the Ky Chipp matchup, but I want to say it's kind of even. Though I don't play enough good Kys to have a firm grasp on it and whenever I do I get bodied. Ky's neutral and YRC options force Chipp to take a risk to get in though on the other hand teleport YRC is great at punishing whiffed normals in neutral and often just the threat forces Ky to play safer. The biggest problem I have in the matchup is dealing with Ky when he takes to the air since Chipps AA options all suck. I wish we could get his old 6P. Ky's aerial normals, when spaced well just kind of shit on Chipp. Chipp can ultimately just give Ky the run around and be frustrating to deal with, but that doesn't really get anyone anywhere.
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would like to see some tension-based off-the-ground options so oki isn't so abusive and players can't just go into auto-pilot (like Millia/Raven). Tension management would be put to the test, oki opportunities would require more wearing down of the tension meter/psychological conditioning and off-the-ground mind-games would be created. The fight wouldn't stop from a knock down anymore. Blitz Shield is too easy to bait when it's the only option you have besides your character's specific specials. Repeated free oki is monotonous to watch. Characters without reversals would be able to at least make some sort of push against all of the aggression.
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877
    grandabx wrote: »
    I would like to see some tension-based off-the-ground options so oki isn't so abusive and players can't just go into auto-pilot (like Millia/Raven). Tension management would be put to the test, oki opportunities would require more wearing down of the tension meter/psychological conditioning and off-the-ground mind-games would be created. The fight wouldn't stop from a knock down anymore. Blitz Shield is too easy to bait when it's the only option you have besides your character's specific specials. Repeated free oki is monotonous to watch. Characters without reversals would be able to at least make some sort of push against all of the aggression.

Block and dead angle? Backdash? A huge point of not having a reversal is that you don't want to get knocked down and then eat the pressure. I mean hell, 16 members of the cast can do fireball oki; it's a pretty core system, and even the two scariest vortex characters (Chipp and Millia) technically can't do their bog standard stuff without having to worry about a reversal.

And blitz shield isn't really any easier to bait than a reversal; it's a 1f move after all. It's way better than Slashback was for sure.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,457
    I actually like it the way it is. If I knock my opponent down, I get rewarded with some interactions with fairly one-sided risk-reward (which, if nothing else, is pretty fun), and conversely I'll need to defend well to get out.
    Naeras wrote: »
    I actually like it the way it is. If I knock my opponent down, I get rewarded with some interactions with fairly one-sided risk-reward (which, if nothing else, is pretty fun), and conversely I'll need to defend well to get out.

It's get's extremely boring watching that over and over when it's so top-heavy. It could also make tier placing closer. Those oki set-ups wouldn't be guaranteed and being more creative with that approach would be required. It's not like it would be done for free. Players would have to give up tension for what is more important to them. I already know some people would be against such a thing. I've seen it before many years ago.
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    Muttonman wrote: »

Block and dead angle? Backdash? A huge point of not having a reversal is that you don't want to get knocked down and then eat the pressure. I mean hell, 16 members of the cast can do fireball oki; it's a pretty core system, and even the two scariest vortex characters (Chipp and Millia) technically can't do their bog standard stuff without having to worry about a reversal.

And blitz shield isn't really any easier to bait than a reversal; it's a 1f move after all. It's way better than Slashback was for sure.

What does Blitz, Dead angle or back dashing do against Yrc oki? What do they do when Zato has Eddie in front or you're surrounded by Jack-O's servants? It's not about NOT having pressure it's about NOT having pressure be SO lopsided. With the projectile characters it's just repeated vortex's. Auto-pilot oki is problem I feel needs corrected. It shouldn't just be about knocking someone down, it be more wearing down their options and resources. Talk like "if Y knocks down/corners Z, the round should be over" is mad weak. That mess is one-dimensional as hell. The game should be a FULL back-and-forth of mind-games no matter the position of a player.
  • crazymasterhandcrazymasterhand LAZERS PEW PEW Joined: Posts: 282
    Go play smash brothers brawl then

It's get's extremely boring watching that over and over when it's so top-heavy. It could also make tier placing closer. Those oki set-ups wouldn't be guaranteed and being more creative with that approach would be required. It's not like it would be done for free. Players would have to give up tension for what is more important to them. I already know some people would be against such a thing. I've seen it before many years ago.

Uh, no, I doubt that. The top tiers (Johnny, Zato, Millia, Elphelt imo) would probably benefit from it since this gives them more defensive options (remember, none of them have meterless reversals), and the two of these that are the most focused on oppressive oki would likely be able to adjust their oki to that option regardless. Characters that can't adjust their timing that well would suffer the most from this.

I can see the reasoning behind your arguments otherwise, but I prefer both sides having tight, oppressive offense. Changing it would alter the game so fundamentally it wouldn't be the same game anymore. And, from what I understood from the discussions on this subject a few weeks ago, BlazBlue does what you're describing now, so if the oki bothers you that much, you have another game you can play.
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Help I keep losing neutral and don't wanna block I think the game should be made easier for me
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,443
    I think Raven belongs in the top tier category as well, maybe Ky too
    Help I keep losing neutral and don't wanna block I think the game should be made easier for me

Are you stalking me? I'll send you my picture if you want.
    You can still blitz YRC oki, it's just harder. And sometimes you can backdash it.

But again, the Vortex Mistress Millia doesn't have naturally reversal safe oki. She can bait a reversal but that means giving up the TK Moon shot or what have you.

If you don't like the oki in this game, Blazblue was made to have lots of different types of wake up such that oki was tougher. It's a much more difficult game to start IMO but worth checking out

Uh, no, I doubt that. The top tiers (Johnny, Zato, Millia, Elphelt imo) would probably benefit from it since this gives them more defensive options (remember, none of them have meterless reversals), and the two of these that are the most focused on oppressive oki would likely be able to adjust their oki to that option regardless. Characters that can't adjust their timing that well would suffer the most from this.

I can see the reasoning behind your arguments otherwise, but I prefer both sides having tight, oppressive offense. Changing it would alter the game so fundamentally it wouldn't be the same game anymore. And, from what I understood from the discussions on this subject a few weeks ago, BlazBlue does what you're describing now, so if the oki bothers you that much, you have another game you can play.

Ok, that's your opinion and that's fine. I'll still feel the gameplay is too centered around the oki pressure.

With those options, sure the top would gain access, but they would lose some of what makes them so good in the first place: El wouldn't be guaranteed rifle traps, Johnyy otg coin set-ups, Zato would have to make a read on what you're doing before using eddie, etc.

Blazblue's options are free ( I play both). In GG it could be 25% tension.

You're absolutely right though, I probably should check out some other fighter/s. Maybe getting away from the humdrum for a while may help.
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    Ok, that's your opinion and that's fine. I'll still feel the gameplay is too centered around the oki pressure.

With those options, sure the top would gain access, but they would lose some of what makes them so good in the first place: El wouldn't be guaranteed rifle traps, Johnyy otg coin set-ups, Zato would have to make a read on what you're doing before using eddie, etc.

You're absolutely right though, I probably should check out some other fighter/s. Maybe getting away from the humdrum for a while may help.

Yeah, I would recommend seeking out other games. It could be argued that the entire point of Guilty Gear is to knock someone down and run train, so if that's not your thing, there is no shame in that. I haven't played the new BlazBlues but I remember the older ones were a bit more rounded out in terms of gameplay experience. Hopefully the new one is too.
    Angry Abel wrote: »

He's about to drop Axl with the QUICKNESS lmao

Nah, he might keep Axl around for some of his best matchups.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
    Yannick wrote: »

Yeah, I would recommend seeking out other games. It could be argued that the entire point of Guilty Gear is to knock someone down and run train, so if that's not your thing, there is no shame in that. I haven't played the new BlazBlues but I remember the older ones were a bit more rounded out in terms of gameplay experience. Hopefully the new one is too.

I don't have a problem dealing with it. I've been playing GG since GGX on DreamCast (import). I have every version of the main game that came to the states:

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/grandabx/media/DSC01059_zpsb7744642.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/grandabx/media/DSC01048_zps23cfb43b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=18

I just want the game to be as dynamic as possible. It makes for better e-sports viewing.

• PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 82
    edited September 2016
    Pressure really isn't incredibly lopsided at the highest levels of play to begin with though. Go watch Ogawa matches against pretty much any character. What you'll notice is that Ogawa is usually getting most of his damage from converting in neutral. Once you get to a level where both players know all of each other's options, it's not very common to see those rounds where one person just knocks the other down and runs them over mercilessly the whole time. Millia's mixup by contrast may have a better plurality of options, and she's not limited by an Eddie gauge, but even she's not usually going to go 100-0 on you on a single knockdown. She gives you burst back pretty quickly because her combos do a ton of hits, her pressure game is not that great, and she's just as vulnerable to dead angle as anyone else provided you pick your spots wisely. If you want, you can also spend 50 meter for double blitz against Disc. Point is, even if the offense is pretty oppressive, you do have options, and of course there's the added caveat of Millia being balanced around her offense, which is another discussion entirely.

Something else I'd like to point out: even if Blitz, Dead Angle, and backdash were utterly useless against YRC oki (which I can't say, since "YRC oki" means absolutely nothing, because every character has unique YRC options and setups that work against different options and need to be discussed independently), you seem to advocate that things are okay if you spend meter on them; it's okay to limit offense when you have meter. However, YRC oki costs meter. If someone is going to sacrifice meter they could have used for defensive options on a YRC to guarantee a setup, what's so wrong with that?

Finally, I'd like to address your point that people are resistant to change when it comes to this. Yes, they are, and the reason they are is that they like Guilty Gear, and all of the things that entails. Guilty Gear is a very offensive and momentum heavy game, and it's always been that way. Attempting to further limit offense contradicts the spirit of the game, and why people enjoy it. As some before me have already said, if you want a game in the same "anime" tradition of Guilty Gear that treats the role of knockdown differently, you have BlazBlue. Of course you're allowed to have the opinion that Guilty Gear is too setplay heavy, but it isn't reasonable to expect the game to change to suit your preferences when it already has a pretty well established and dedicated playerbase that enjoys it for what it is.
    Post edited by Psaro on
    edited September 2016
    This game certainly does place a lot of emphasis on meaty pressure after a KD, but it also places an enormous amount of emphasis on winning the neutral game. If you are continually getting oki'd to death it means that you are continually losing the neutral game (granted against a character like Millia this is a pretty hard task). You win in neutral and your reward is great oki that can be somewhat difficult to escape from (although I feel like there are escape options, even for YRC oki; plus there is still the mind game of will they burst here, should I bait a DAA, is BS coming, will he DP, etc). I don't think it's fair to say "this game is centered around oki" without mentioning the neutral game at all
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Not to mention how good it feels to successfully escape someone's pressure, which you were RIGHTFULLY forced to deal with because you lost neutral.
    Yannick wrote: »

Infiltration is one of those cats that can bring out the true potential of a character. Don't lose hope on an Axl main yet. I dread what he could possibly do with Chipp. He plays Nash in a way like Chipp, but Chipp has waaaaay more movement options. Should be interesting.
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    edited September 2016

Can't wait

I just want the game to be as dynamic as possible. It makes for better e-sports viewing.
    Rofl esports viewing
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world

Can't wait

Rofl esports viewing

I'm just saying, when I'm not around you'll at least have a plan-b...
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 387
    edited September 2016
    Even as a Potemkin main, oki pressure doesn't bother me that much. Just got to learn to block or use the other options at your disposal. That's the price you pay for losing neutral.

What REALLY annoys the sh1t outta me though, are relatively safe wake up overdrives, such as Johnny's 'what's my name?' I'm learning to deal with it, but man, that stuff is strong and annoying as hell.
  • PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 82
    That's My Name actually isn't too strong, I feel, at least taken in context. It's -6 and -10 on IB. Zato can't punish it on block with anything more than a 5P usually, but I'm sure there's some character out there who can do it. Really though, even if it were 100% safe, it's not like he's taking your turn if you block (unless he had a full stick of butter and RCed it). And, it's very easily low profiled. Spending 50 meter for a reversal that loses to low profile is kinda suspect, which is why it has as little frame disadvantage as it does relative to other reversals. Obviously, that's not to say it's weak or not worth using; it definitely is from time to time, and as a Zato player I'd certainly take it over Amorphous. But there are definitive answers to it, and it's certainly no worse than Sin being able to cancel his meterless DP into any other special move.
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 387
    Interesting perspective. I guess I just haven't figured it out how to deal with it yet.

Usually with Pot, after a knockdown you're safe jumping so it's seems hard to IB and punish. It can be punished with IB-Pot Buster, I've just got to work out a practical means to do so.
    Interesting perspective. I guess I just haven't figured it out how to deal with it yet.

Usually with Pot, after a knockdown you're safe jumping so it's seems hard to IB and punish. It can be punished with IB-Pot Buster, I've just got to work out a practical means to do so.

Just wait until the cutscene is over and then block. Doing a safe jump doesn't make it any harder than baiting it on the ground.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,972
    Infiltration dominated SFIV in its later years

Infiltration is already dominating SFV

Now he's coming for Xrd

Get prepared, boys
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,821 mod
    edited September 2016
    I don't see him sticking with Axl. Just doesn't seem like a strong enough character for him to stick with. He would be a side character like his Hakan for certain matchups.

Chipp he could do work with

Infiltration said he was going to get into Marvel 3 and that never really happened past some casual sessions. We'll see how long he's actually playing.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,432
    I like Ky with black hair instead of blonde, I don't what it is but the blonde don't look right on him.

Can't wait

Rofl esports viewing

And I'm just saying that you're a moron pretending to be a Gear OG

Can't wait

Rofl esports viewing

And I'm just saying that you're a moron pretending to be a Gear OG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4e/0b/5f/4e0b5fae3ad51064cb35531bf8649dce.jpg
    Lol as if you were relevant enough to have fans but whatever fam

Anyway back to normal discussion: Nice Axl vs. I-No set. The Axl in question also happens to be the only Axl qualified for Toushinsai atm

Wow, Daru is breaking out the FDC with Burst. Maybe I've not been paying close enough attention, but that's the first time I've really see him do it so often. Should be a pretty strong addition to the gameplan
    I don't see him sticking with Axl. Just doesn't seem like a strong enough character for him to stick with. He would be a side character like his Hakan for certain matchups.

Chipp he could do work with

Infiltration said he was going to get into Marvel 3 and that never really happened past some casual sessions. We'll see how long he's actually playing.

Axl is really strong, a few nightmare matchups aside. It doesn't seem like the kind of character Infil would usually play, though, considering he seems to be at his best when playing slippery characters that are frustrating to play against, i.e. Nash, Decapre, SFIV Akuma, SFxT Jin (oh god the stuff he did with this character), etc. Then again, considering the guy had 75% of the SFIV-cast as pocket characters, it's hard to deny how flexible and well-rounded the guy is, so he can probably do well with whomever he chooses.
    They should give Axl meter-less combo options after a successful counter and slighty speed up Thunder Shadow Chain and 6H.
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Infiltration dominated SFIV in its later years

Infiltration is already dominating SFV

Now he's coming for Xrd

Get prepared, boys

he has all day to practice.
    They should give Axl meter-less combo options
    He can already combo meterless off of K counter

P counter would be nice but it's not a big deal.
    That would be another potential threat in neutral which would give it some more use. It could also be used for better come-from-behind situations.
    Meh, he's got a DP. Quite frankly I'd rather they remove the DP and buff up the counters.