Super Turbo Ranking Chart 2013

KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴJoined: Posts: 891
http://www.strevival.com/strategy/rankingchart2013

Super Turbo matchup rankings have been debated since the game was released and it’s always a great topic of conversation. In addition, matchup rankings and charts continuously change over time as top players keep finding new tactics and strategies to evolve their character even more.

With Super Turbo’s recent revival, we bring you the Super Turbo Ranking Chart Ver. 2013 with rankings from around the globe!

Thank you to all those who took time to participate and submit their rankings. Speical thanks to MAO and Wolmar for organizing the rankings from Japan and Europe respectively. To kuroppi, XSPR, and Zaspacer, who were heavily involved in organizing and presenting all the data. And to Nohoho for his original US ranking chart and the Japanese New Arcadia Ranking Chart.

Explanation/Calculation:

For each character, we tried to get multiple players to provide rankings. You can see an individual player’s rankings for his character by following his name on the left side, across to the right where a “SCORE” column shows how strong that character is, according to that player (the higher this number, the stronger he is). The +/- column on the far right gives a weight to the Score to express balance; positive numbers indicate the character is better than average, and negative numbers weaker than average. So basically, if a character has all even matches of 5 with every other character, he’d get exactly 0 (no plus, no minus) in the “+/-” column.

The “SCORE” column is calculated by totalling the numbers in the row going across. The “+/-” column is calculated by comparing the Score value next to it with a theoretical character with all 5′s. All 5′s would be 5 x 15 or so other chracters, and comparing the Score total with the total number of other characters for a plus/minus balance offset from that total.

There are some additional innovations this time. XSPR added two rows at the bottom of each chart, showing another “+/-” balance value.

There are two new features:

1) The bottom row “+/-” expresses the balance of each character, but aggregated across all players, so as to avoid bias. So if one player considers his character weak overall, but everyone else diagrees with that assesment of his character’s overall strength, it’ll reflect that here at the bottom “+/-” row.

Note: the “TOTAL” row at the bottom of each chart is different than the SCORE col on the right side! When calculating down (and not across), the total offset from an “all 5′s” theoretical character must be inverted. The +/- bottom row accounts for this however, so you can compare both +/- values in the bottom row with the right column.

2) As much inclusivity from the ST community was taken into consideration as possible. Multiple players were surveyed for each character (where possible/available), and averaged in to the bottom “TOTAL” and “+/-” rows. E.g. for Ken, both Aniken’s rankings were averaged with Mattsun’s rankings in the calculation. If you only want to consider Aniken’s rankings alone, his numbers are still displayed in the right side column. Additionally, any individual player’s
rankings can now be compared with everyone else’s– so submit your rankings now for the next update!

str_ranking_chart_2013_jp.png

str_ranking_chart_2013_usa.png

str_ranking_chart_2013_euro.png
Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter

Comments

• UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    edited June 2013
    Sick ST LOVE

edit:

some interesting numbers at first glance:

Those 0-10s by chris gamble.
    Warlmar thinks Chun-Cammy is 4.5 cammy advantage?! Stop throwing fireballs! xD
    Fei-Chun approximately even?! (by 3/7 players) (4 chuns 3 Feis) Interesting how the feis have more agreement that it's fei's advantage (I agree with them)
    Otochun gives chun-guile 5.5?

Nakamura considers cammy hawk a conservative 6 rather than our "8-2"

tecmo's guile-OK 3 ".75" ... really? generally ".5"s should be considered "SLIGHTLY" over the number before the .5 I think matchup charts should be mostly whole numbers. and ".5"s should really be ".2s" if used, but are .5s to look cleaner... In casual conversational speak those .5s should read without them .

I don't want to see these things filling with bullshit like 3.65

like 4.5-5.5 should still be pretty darned even, but like One small advantage by one character that's situational/not abusable
    Post edited by Unessential on
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    edited June 2013
    No way Gunze is serious on his numbers... Would it be possible to ask Pony for his opinion on this?
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • damdaidamdai www.damdai.com Joined: Posts: 1,079
    Born2SPD wrote: »
    No way Gunze is serious on his numbers... Would it be possible to ask Pony for his opinion on this?

What's wrong with his numbers? They look pretty accurate.
    supercade.damdai.com
    tonamento.damdai.com
    frame-advantage.com
    edited June 2013
    Wow, Gief has advantage against shotos? I thought gief didn't have ANY advantage matchups :lol:
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Well, maybe I just suck... I can't agree on the vs E.Honda 'ranking', its way too optimistic... IMO its way worse than 2,5. Now i'm interested to watch Gunze playing the Honda grand masters... Do you guys have any videos of it?
    Unessential, I believe that Gief beats all shotos, but only by a little margin. N.Ken for instance don't have many tools to fight Gief on the ground, that is for sure the best Gief matchup. I believe thatr vsRyu Gief has the advantage as well, but only by a little.
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    It looks like the Japanese have a higher opinion of Chun's matchups than everyone else. There are few matchups listed by anyone as disadvantage Chun. there are more disadvantaged matches listed for her from America and Europe, and some really ugly ones as well.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Awesome!

I wonder how Sasori thinks Ryu beats Claw. He has very few reliable options on the ground: the red boxes are just not there where Claw is vulnerable. Can he defeat MAO, somehow? That stands out even more than 2-8 beatdown against Gief, since he had previously stated he can deal with Gunze and Pony, but had no answer against Mayakon's Gief - was not from that statement, I'd have guessed Mayakon did not play anymore at all. I can understand how ugly things can look to Ryu when Gief has things working for him. But I have no answer against Claw, unless I takes risks. The way I see it, you have options 1 and 2. Option 1 is Claw jumps or try a rolling attack and you react very fast with a SRK. Option 2 would be 2.1) have to guess a Tatsumaki and hit some normal, 2.2) sneak in some red hadou between pokes, 2.3) try some crouching normal or 2.4) try some jump (in or back) and use either punch, kick or Tatsu, depending on the situation. All are risky options, and some can (and will) be punished on block or if it whiffs. The match takes place outside Ryu's range, and he eats chip damage (and maybe throws) as time goes by.

It's possible to cross him up with RH, but it takes very precise timing - or a very fortunate position, such as he landing near a corner. If you safe-jump from the front, all he needs to do is not mess-up a reversal: it's the only way he can instantly lose, to eat diagonal Fwd, cr,fwd/str, hadouken, nice chance of getting dizzy. If the Claw player does not do that, there's very few options. Rush punch just outside his throw range, overhead if he does not react or mash (unlikely), sweep or throw.
  • PhobosPhobos Old Man with a BIG stick Joined: Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    hmm, no comment
    For you the day that M.Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday!

" I perfer touch of women on my member ". ryuBESTman

ST: Ken, Ryu, E.Honda, DJ,Bison,T-hawk.
    Mvc: Strider, Cap Umvc3:Tron,Arthur,Viewtiful Joe Frank West,Firebrand,Iron Fist
    STV: Ken, Ryu
    GG:Baiken
    DS: Felicia, Sas,Q-Bee, DS2:Phobos,Sas

Wow,I didnt noticed that, Sasori is crazy!
  • mr.sagatmr.sagat OG Vegas Titan Joined: Posts: 1,697
    Doesn't it seem the japanese are slightly underrating Ken?
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    Born2SPD wrote: »
    Well, maybe I just suck... I can't agree on the vs E.Honda 'ranking', its way too optimistic... IMO its way worse than 2,5. Now i'm interested to watch Gunze playing the Honda grand masters... Do you guys have any videos of it?
    Unessential, I believe that Gief beats all shotos, but only by a little margin. N.Ken for instance don't have many tools to fight Gief on the ground, that is for sure the best Gief matchup. I believe thatr vsRyu Gief has the advantage as well, but only by a little.
    Gief vs Honda is 1-9, or 2-8 at best and Gief vs shotos its a slight advantage, also I find Ken more difficult than Ryu

<blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,398
    I wonder why oldyassine thinks that the boxer vs dic matchup would be in dics favor...

LULZY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
  • VolcanicAkuma55VolcanicAkuma55 Joined: Posts: 1,991
    aw no akuma? :(
    SF main: Akuma
    not wannabe, GUNNA BE pro. just need more practice.
    FIX AKUMA AND GOUKEN'S MUSIC IN USF4. WE DONT NEED 3 VERSIONS OF RYU'S THEME
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Gief has always been and always will be a shoto killer there's no doubt about that, i disagree with damdai in ken vs gief matchup.

"You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
    edited June 2013
    Found a vid of Gunze facing Kusumondo:

So thats how a 2.5 looks like lol i feel bad for all the characters with 2s and 1.5s

• djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    mikeidge wrote: »
    I also avoid the .5's cause I think of these charts as 10 matches among the best and a .5 is what? A double KO?

haha i have to admit that was very clever
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • mrdhalsimmrdhalsim Joined: Posts: 378
    I'm so glad this is finally ready! We've worked on this for a while and have been looking forward to presenting it.

As for the .5's, I think it can help to make such distinctions in cases where two characters tie for strength (score/+/-); it lets more hairs be split. Of course, while you have the option to be PRECISE this way, that's not the same thing nor as important as being ACCURATE and making sure you get the number to the left of the decimal point right. And Sasori's obviously way off, everyone ought to know by now that Claw has no bad match-ups! Fun to compare in any case.

Remember to submit your own rankings for Version 2!

XSPR
  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 565
    edited June 2013
    I say we put the most controversial rankings to the test at Evo and post the results. I'd like to see some of these players face off during room casuals or whatever to see if the matches play out the way they think. What players/characters should we try to arrange a 10 match set with?
    I say we put the most controversial rankings to the test at Evo and post the results. I'd like to see some of these players face off during room casuals or whatever to see if the matches play out the way they think. What players/characters should we try to arrange a 10 match set with?
    The problem is that there's skill difference even among the very best players. Match-up charts will always be subject to debate.

For instance, I would attribute DGV's impression that Ryu vs Claw is fair to the fact that there aren't dedicated Claw players in California.

I wish we could get input about old characters. I do believe O.Sagat is retarded, but it is also true that N.Sagat has been nerfed too much.

Speaking of Sagat, it has called my attention how close Aniken and Mattsun's views are, but against Sagat, Honda and Hawk. Both have lots of experience against Yaya and Yondaime, and still Aniken thinks it's pretty fair, while Mattsun thinks Sagat has some noticeable advantage. Against Hawk, Aniken thinks Ken loses, while Mattsun thinks Hawk loses. And Aniken believes Ken has the advantage against Honda, but he does not believe it's lopsided, as in Mattsun's views.

I feel Ken vs T.Hawk is close to playing as Ryu, where Ken lacks the range on close Fierce and the usefulness of st.RH (close and far), but gets a long-range poke (RH), a much faster and reliable Jab SRK, and Fierce SRK for him to use instead of sac-throws. Ken also lacks the invulnerability on tatsus, but that doesn't seem necessarily a disadvantage, since it will instantly reset against corner ticks, denying the recovery - for Hawk to punish or grab on landing - or pushing him away due to the invisible reel force. One advantage Hawk has is that even Mattsun and Aniken eventually mess-up kicks due to the excessive input commands, which of course give Hawk opportunities he shouldn't have otherwise. Ken also lacks the speed and knockdown on the hadous, but as he has better tools to keep Hawk grounded I believe this is mostly fair. Ryu has to stablish a solid ground and (anti-)air control before using his (better) hadous against Hawk, but Ken has the better tools to do so.
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,085
    This rules, saw aniken FB feed posting this today..

Keep up the GREAT work ;)
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    BTW, there was an error on my part for the Shotosallday O. Sagat vs Dhalsim rankings, which I've corrected. Also, shotosallday noticed an inconsistency with his O.Ryu and O.Ken rankings vs each other and he sent me a new ranking to make that consistent. You may need to refresh the page to see the updated image chart.

For all the contributors, if you see any errors, please let me know.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    I also avoid the .5's cause I think of these charts as 10 matches among the best and a .5 is what? A double KO?

thanks to brendan for the find
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    IglooBob wrote: »
    It looks like the Japanese have a higher opinion of Chun's matchups than everyone else. There are few matchups listed by anyone as disadvantage Chun. there are more disadvantaged matches listed for her from America and Europe, and some really ugly ones as well.

Keeping in mind, that otochun is just awesome. =p
    papasi wrote: »

thanks to brendan for the find

Reminds me of a recent match I had, I've had double KO ties before, where both players lose, But I the match I had recently, was 2 double KOs before the Final round, and I was like "whoa, wait, so if it goes to final round I get a free win?" (cuz it's always sudden death, I did not know that)

So basically if you have 2 double KOs before final round, it doensn't matter whoever won the 3rd round. cuz the person who lost gets a free one when you get to final round.

• CUTWESTCUTWEST There is no rivalry. =( Joined: Posts: 1,771
    Seems legit for the most part.
    Nakamura basically says James Chen is a crybaby!
    The 4-6 against E.Honda doesn't look right tho...
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    Nakamura basically says James Chen is a crybaby!

the rest of the Japanese players seem to agree with him though! that's really interesting about these tier lists. like in the Chun example we used earlier, both Otochun and the set of other Japanese players all seem in agreement that Chun is solid across every matchup. In Cammy's case, Nakamura seems to rate Cammy a lot higher than the people who are playing against her.
  • CUTWESTCUTWEST There is no rivalry. =( Joined: Posts: 1,771
    edited June 2013
    Chun li is boss.
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,267
    If i'm not mistaken, O. Hawk is bottom tier on this tier list- he is on 17th, with only N. Hawk and Gief being worse.
    But isn't O. Hawk supposed to be mid-high tier ?

Otherwise, this is really good stuff.

• yogaboyyogaboy Joined: Posts: 65
    Reposting from a facebook thread comment, here is a list with the averages of the three charts combined with the numbers rounded up (no point five values) http://goo.gl/ZmryU
    Easiest solution that would please almost everyone -> a decent port. That is, the DC version of ST running on a PS4/XBOX.
    Difficult part -> get capcom involved. Whoever achieves that gets the golden egg and solves the problem for once and for all. Period ;)
  • ShowTimeEXShowTimeEX Back on this... Joined: Posts: 175
    edited June 2013
    aw no akuma? :(
    Akuma has and always will be banned from tournament play. Thats why he isnt on the charts.

Also, does this chart only goes of OG ST or HDR as well?
    Watch your mouth and check your tone.
    SFV Laura
    twitch.tv/itsfullclipk
    Steam ID ItsFullClipK
    HDR isn't the same as ST. Some of the matchups would have different numbers.
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    yogaboy wrote: »
    Reposting from a facebook thread comment, here is a list with the averages of the three charts combined with the numbers rounded up (no point five values) http://goo.gl/ZmryU

what fb thread? i didnt notice this link.
    did u make that?
    very nice job btw
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    OSagat vs DJ is 5-5?? (According to the averages)
    Why did Muffin rate that fight at 6.5?
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • SpidercarnageSpidercarnage Joined: Posts: 91
    I found that choice odd as well. Deejay vs. OSagat is 5 - 5 at best. In my opinion it's 6 - 4 in OSagats favor, but the match up is very volatile. The one that really stomped me was Ito putting Sim vs. DeeJay at 5 - 5. I wonder if he knows something that the rest of the DeeJay players don't.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    I found that choice odd as well. Deejay vs. OSagat is 5 - 5 at best. In my opinion it's 6 - 4 in OSagats favor, but the match up is very volatile. The one that really stomped me was Ito putting Sim vs. DeeJay at 5 - 5. I wonder if he knows something that the rest of the DeeJay players don't.

I'm curious about that as well. Most players tend to peg that at Sim's favor, either 7-3 or 6-4. He must have an unnatural ability to spot limbs and trade or beat them with elbows.
    Wasnt it MAO who said that Ito's DJ was giving his claw alot of trouble?
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,267
    Interesting that on Honda vs Dhalsim, Honda players say it's in Sim's favour, while Sim players call the match in Honda's favour.
    And I don't know if it is a mistake - it might be, but CVital called this match 8-2 Honda's favour ??

8-2 ? hahah ... It's 6-4 in Sims favor. But Honda is still a "threat" to sim , more so than most other chars.