Ultra Street Fighter 4 General

Comments

• IR_Baboon2IR_Baboon2 Joined: Posts: 128
    edited July 2013
    Probably won't be able to see them, yeah. Unless the "locked" costumes are part of the update.

• manbehindthewiresmanbehindthewires Consider yourself lightly, consider the world deeply Joined: Posts: 930
    OP: stages said to be Pitstop 109, Mad Gear Hideout, Cosmic Elevator, Blast Furnace, Half Pipe, and Jurassic Era Research Facility. All from SFxT.

Source http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-15-capcom-announces-ultra-street-fighter-4
    SFV: Chun Li [CFN: thewires / manbehindthewires]
    Third Strike: Alex/Ibuki [Fightcade: MBTW]
    Here to learn.
    So the Jurassic Park stage is actually a part of the Street Fighter canon. Interesting. I wonder if any of the stages will transition like in SFxT.
  • Philpy98Philpy98 Joined: Posts: 26
    Considering how well balanced the game already is, I hope they focus more on buffing lower tier characters over nerfing the higher tier characters. Considering you only had one double up in the top 8 at EVO (I think it was just Tokido and Infil') it just shows that the game is balanced as all hell. From what I've seen, they've focused mainly on buffs (read an article from combofiend discussing buffs to Chun-li, Balrog, Dudley and T.Hawk) and almost no nerfs, I'm very hopeful.

Maybe just give the entire cast a few more ways of dealing with vortex's and then buff some lower tier characters. Can't wait for USF4, buying retail so I can get all the DLC :)

All aboard the HYPE train
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,167
    edited July 2013
    So, we've got 4 characters from SFxT and prob 4-6 stages from SFxT, meaning everything "OMG NEW" in the game is just a complete and utter recycle (which is a nice throwback to old days Capcom, feeling really nostalgic here), + "balance tweaks" which I can bet anybody anything they'll either intentionally leave the new characers overpowered or just fuck something up requiring another update, and with a slapped-on 30$ price tag.

Effort put into update: 0% (not like you can expect anything more from Capcom these days)
    Retardness level of anyone who pays money for it: 101%
    People who will nevertheless pay money for it: Everyone and their mother.

Seriously wish Capcom would just die away.
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
  • Tabby_CatTabby_Cat Currently Cat Joined: Posts: 84
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? Clearly SF4 was the most popular game at Evo this year, even with far newer games on the roster. I'll certainly appreciate the fresh coat of paint.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 683
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, fuck you. Fool me 3 times and I ain't buying this shit, Capcom can fuck off.
    SFV: Chun Li, Guile, Cammy, Balrog
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Leona
    SF4: Adon
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 359
    Was really hoping that the title would be FINAL Street Fighter IV (or something to elude to this being a final revision in prep for SF5) or SF4: Championship Edition (A nice throwback title), but eh whatever. Ultra sound silly, recycled characters are cool seeing as they'll play differently from SFxT, have different Ultras, etc. and hopefully since some of the stages are coming as well, they'll have a nice fresh appearance or at the very least some new music (I can't stand Halfpipe's music at all). I'm excited nonetheless, mostly for the balance update, and will be even more when this mystery character is revealed.
    Twitter: @I_B_V_K_I
    CFN: MINUSTHEFIGHTER
    edited July 2013
    yomipower wrote: »
    So, we've got 4 characters from SFxT and prob 4-6 stages from SFxT, meaning everything "OMG NEW" in the game is just a complete and utter recycle (which is a nice throwback to old days Capcom, feeling really nostalgic here), + "balance tweaks" which I can bet anybody anything they'll either intentionally leave the new characers overpowered or just fuck something up requiring another update, and with a slapped-on 30$ price tag.

Effort put into update: 0% (not like you can expect anything more from Capcom these days)
    Retardness level of anyone who pays money for it: 101%
    People who will nevertheless pay money for it: Everyone and their mother.

Seriously wish Capcom would just die away.

I feel ya. I just wanted a balance patch. Gonna buy anyway. ._.
  • Maria CroftMaria Croft Joined: Posts: 909
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited about Poison. The stages being ported is very lazy though.
    I'm buying this on disc, but damn, not until next year?

I'm hoping they will start giving us some official balance-tweak lists soon though.
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    OP: stages said to be Pitstop 109, Mad Gear Hideout, Cosmic Elevator, Blast Furnace, Half Pipe, and Jurassic Era Research Facility. All from SFxT.

Source http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-15-capcom-announces-ultra-street-fighter-4

While I know you didn't write the article, I find the last entry to be somewhat suspicious. Like I can get behind the first 5 but Jurassic Era Research Facility doesn't make sense as that is almost entirely a Tekken based stage in reference to Alex from Tekken. I mean it's possible, there have been weird things in SF, but it just doesn't feel right to me.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,175
    The one thing that annoys me is that even if you go for the disc, there's still one more DLC costume for every character by Udon. I really really really wanted a complete disc/PC download that just gives me everything. 10 years down the line these DLC unlock codes might not work or some stupid bullshit is gonna happen that'll lock me out of the complete game.
  • ashxuashxu Joined: Posts: 132

Jesus christ those screenshots on that article reminds me of how old SF4 is. the textures are mucky as all hell and the shadows look awful.
  • manbehindthewiresmanbehindthewires Consider yourself lightly, consider the world deeply Joined: Posts: 930
    Eternal wrote: »
    ... it just doesn't feel right to me.
    It's not a great article. Just thought it was interesting that they had specific information about the stages and images that weren't just screenshots from the trailer.
    It's a popular stage though. If it was a simple matter of someone in Capcom's marketing saying "include the 6 most popular SFxT stages" I have no doubt it'd be in there. As far as the SF stories' integrity goes? I'd like to see how they write dinosaurs into the plot haha

SFV: Chun Li [CFN: thewires / manbehindthewires]
    Third Strike: Alex/Ibuki [Fightcade: MBTW]
    Here to learn.
    I wonder if they'll bring over the customization stuff from SFxT. On one hand there are some sweet color schemes people make. On the other hand, fuck neon/metal colors and all black characters.
  • AKUMA2000AKUMA2000 RAGING DEMON DISTRIBUTOR Joined: Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would love to see Master Goutetsu finally make his game debut......i also thought they would bring back some of the background stages from SFA2.
    I wonder if they'll bring over the customization stuff from SFxT. On one hand there are some sweet color schemes people make. On the other hand, fuck neon/metal colors and all black characters.

Worst thing about playing SFxT - getting blinded by neon Ken and Ryu.
    IR_Baboon2 wrote: »

It's def a mixed bag. I like it as a concept but they gave a bit too much freedom, and the neon colors were hideous. The metal ones weren't quite as bad but they were ALMOST as bad.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,657
    Free customization can and will kill your eyes. Murphy's Law and Sturgeon's Law make sure of that.
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
    IR_Baboon2 wrote: »

It's def a mixed bag. I like it as a concept but they gave a bit too much freedom, and the neon colors were hideous. The metal ones weren't quite as bad but they were ALMOST as bad.

Was a nice idea on paper. The worst part was when someone used that alternate costume of Ryu with the glowing skin, and made every other part of the costume neon. Before the patch it was eye rape.
    Komatik wrote: »
    Free customization can and will kill your eyes. Murphy's Law and Sturgeon's Law make sure of that.

IMO ANY game that allows for customization should have an option to disable seeing the customization when playing online. Customization viewing should be enabled by default but have the option to be turned off. There is ZERO reason I should have to see Blanka's alt 3 if I don't want to, the opponent can still see it if I turn it to "only show default colors/outfits" as things like colors and costumes are loaded locally (that is why you never have to face an opponent using the same colors as you in SF4 they always have a slightly different shade even if they pick the same color, however on THEIR side YOU have the different color. Likewise it is why costume mods can be used online. The opponent sees a different costume than the one you are actually using (If you modified Alt 1 to look like something else you'd see the costume you modded but everyone else sees Alt 1) this doesn't cause a desync like altering game data.
  • SagatryuSagatryu Joined: Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    this is all I have to say

"you may have the Ultimate Shield , but I have the Ultimate eye , and my ultimate eye can see your weakness" - King Bradley / Wrath to Greed.
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    The one thing that annoys me is that even if you go for the disc, there's still one more DLC costume for every character by Udon. I really really really wanted a complete disc/PC download that just gives me everything. 10 years down the line these DLC unlock codes might not work or some stupid bullshit is gonna happen that'll lock me out of the complete game.

So it turns out the situation isn't perfect but it isn't as bad as this to quote from: http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2013/07/13/super-street-fighter-4-update-info

"If you own Super Street Fighter 4 or Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, you can download the update for $14.99. This will upgrade the game as is, with all your data intact. The other option would be to buy the disc version, which will give you all DLC costumes for all characters released until now, as well as future content (to be discussed in the future). This option is available for $39.99."

So it turns out the situation isn't perfect but it isn't as bad as this to quote from: http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2013/07/13/super-street-fighter-4-update-info

"If you own Super Street Fighter 4 or Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, you can download the update for $14.99. This will upgrade the game as is, with all your data intact. The other option would be to buy the disc version, which will give you all DLC costumes for all characters released until now, as well as future content (to be discussed in the future). This option is available for $39.99."

You misunderstood him. The issue he has is that he would have to download those costumes still. He wants to have ALL of the costumes on a disk so that if at some future date the ability to download those costumes is no longer available due to perhaps the server shutting down, capcom going bankrupt, whatever. He'd still have access to all of the costumes.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    Super Ultra Street Fighter 4 AE version 2014 plus edition.
    STOMP!
  • Trini_JudokaTrini_Judoka salty...since 09 Joined: Posts: 1,317
    USF4 with 5 new characters = v.2015 patch awaits.
    Currently playing: I wish. gotta work son

psn/xbl: JoBronze

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 9,838
    im really hoping the retail disc is for next year and the digital download comes out this year
  • GenistarGenistar Master Drayden Joined: Posts: 4,717

I actually knew those stages will come in but...i want new music for some of them.
    USF4:Mains Rose/Poison/Akuma
    Street fighter V Akuma/Mika/Kolin

• GenistarGenistar Master Drayden Joined: Posts: 4,717
    ashxu wrote: »

Jesus christ those screenshots on that article reminds me of how old SF4 is. the textures are mucky as all hell and the shadows look awful.

I love how the first picture is like Viper being offended by poison and then poison is like "Bitch please" in the next picture XD
    USF4:Mains Rose/Poison/Akuma
    Street fighter V Akuma/Mika/Kolin

• AzureXIIIAzureXIII Joined: Posts: 284
    Yeah, I can't say I thought any of the SFxT stages were noteworthy enough to return. Especially not in SSFIV. Not when they have all these amazing stages in their older titles.
  • AzureXIIIAzureXIII Joined: Posts: 284
    You know what, fuck balance. 44 characters is a shit ton of matches already, so why don't they go all out. PS4/180 SF should have every character in SF (ever) with new ones. Like the Tenkaichi 3 of SF. You like Karin? You've got her. Wanna twerk with R.Mika? There you go. You want to ball with Sean? In. I don't care anymore. I WANT EVERY CHARACTER IN THE NEXT GAME, CAPCOM.

All jokes aside. With all the characters and fan-favorites in the SF universe, I'm genuinely curious what Capcom is going to do about the roster for future installments. That shit has got to be stressful.
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,537
    I think adding the new characters was unnecessary and they only did it (along with recycled stages) to justify charging for the update without receiving too much backlash. That's fine as a selling point to try and draw more people in, but gameplay-wise it's just throwing more matchups into the mix of a game with so many matchups to consider already and it's inevitable that a few months to a year after release, there will be groups of people who will be unhappy with how the new characters play in regards to the rest of the cast. I don't think loctests alone before the official release is going to be enough to get them well-balanced with the rest of the roster. It takes more time than that to see how things will truly play out with them competitively and we'll be back in the same spot complaining about how viable they are once we see that.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,586
    It would be hilarious if this update didn't include updated trials. We'd be at nearly 1/4th of the roster without them a that point.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379
    I'll never understand what the value is in having trials... They're fun, sure... But seriously? I learn a lot more about a character in 10 minutes in training mode than running through a bunch of pointless execution tests. People were upset about not having them in the AE patch as well... I don't get it.
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458
    Some people like them, some people don't.
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
  • ignizigniz Joined: Posts: 1
    I'll never understand what the value is in having trials... They're fun, sure... But seriously? I learn a lot more about a character in 10 minutes in training mode than running through a bunch of pointless execution tests. People were upset about not having them in the AE patch as well... I don't get it.

They were great in SF4, if you're learning about Links and FADC and you don't know about those things, they're great. They can give insights into what combo's and links can be done and what combo's can come off of. They weren't particularly well handled in SF4 and certainly need improvements now, but they were a great way to get introduced to the game.

Same with other games, you can learn things you didn't know about a character because the trials can make you do things you didn't know you could do.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    I also really dislike the SFxT backgrounds, except Mishima estate, which probably won't be one used. Five new characters is great though.
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,586
    Yeah I wasn't saying I particularly want them or anything by it would be awkward as hell to have a game mode that goes back like four versions and lock out a significant portion of the roster.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
  • CrystalCoreCrystalCore Joined: Posts: 455
    edited July 2013
    REALPLAYER wrote: »
    ultra sf4 is looking great. i eagerly await to see who the fifth character is. still think Q would be an excellent the best addition. we'll see what's in store.
    Five new characters just seems a little odd to me, it's typically an even number...have a feeling the likes of Q would be an excellent secret 6th, unannounced character...fair to say I'll be playing through arcade mode again...just in-case haha.

The fifth character has been hinted as "Never seen in Street Fighter before" so sadly it's not Q...or any of these:
    I'm sure I've missed some; feel free to shout out. Doesn't include and Vs Capcom titles.

Come on, man, no one from TvC?

I say Doronjo and her two lackeys, Boyacki (green clothes) and Tonzura (blue clothes):

http://tatsunoko.vscapcom.com/images/charactor_doronjo0.jpg

That's to counter anyone who says Morrigan. :)

(Yea, I know they aren't Capcom characters, but still.)
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there supposed to be system changes? I wonder what the chances are of it being less 1-frame link heavy.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,757
    Well at least something good came out of SFxT. The added stages and characters are welcome additions along with the balance update. Seriously, it doesn't make sense to create 5 new characters and 6 new stages for a audience of 100k at best. It was made mainly for the hardcore players who are still actively playing the game. It's either the balance update with the SFxT stuff or just the balance update. I'll happily take the former for $15 over the latter for free.
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 310
    15 bucks is the same price as a COD map pack. And five new characters in a fighting game is bound to have a much larger and lasting effect on gameplay, and this is in addition to all the other tweaks + new game modes.

Come the fuck on people, it's not bad at all.

I don't play CoD, so maybe I'm off base here, but I assume when you pay $15 for a map pack, you're getting NEW maps, not old maps copy/pasted from a different CoD game.

• the7kthe7k Kitty Pride. Joined: Posts: 5,566
    Komatik wrote: »
    Actually, I spent a lot of time playing KOF online (Hey, I have no local scene, you do what you must) and never got blinded in that game, unless you count the occasional "nude" palette. A lot of ugly palettes but nothing that prevented me from playing the game.

Not giving players access to colors that glow with the intensity of a thousand suns goes a long way, though.
    Hardcore Report: I review games. Poorly.
    Latest: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

"Comebacks are fine as long as I'm the one doing them. Otherwise, they are evidence of a broken, poorly balanced game and it's all because of poor netcode and in-game lag due to poor port optimization and it was a terrible matchup and they need to patch the game and I should have won that and why does anyone even play this awful, fraud friendly game."
  • bucolicbucolic Joined: Posts: 1
    Say hi to an anal guy who likes owning stuff on disc and also loves trial mode [woot]

Does anyone know if the trial achievements from AE carry over to the new game? Like, if I buy the on-disc version of Ultra, do I have to do all the trials again, or does it read the old AE data? Bit of an obscure question but I really wanna know.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458
    traxus wrote: »
    15 bucks is the same price as a COD map pack. And five new characters in a fighting game is bound to have a much larger and lasting effect on gameplay, and this is in addition to all the other tweaks + new game modes.

Come the fuck on people, it's not bad at all.

I don't play CoD, so maybe I'm off base here, but I assume when you pay $15 for a map pack, you're getting NEW maps, not old maps copy/pasted from a different CoD game.

You realize that the Characters in coming from SFxT WONT be copy/paste right? not only do they not have Ultra Combos but they also would be fairly stupid balance wise if they still had their strong EX moves, among other things. I doubt the stages will be as long as they were in SFxT nor will they have the transitions....so again....where is this copy/paste?

I guess it's the same as COD re-imagining their old maps tho....*smh*
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.

You misunderstood him. The issue he has is that he would have to download those costumes still. He wants to have ALL of the costumes on a disk so that if at some future date the ability to download those costumes is no longer available due to perhaps the server shutting down, capcom going bankrupt, whatever. He'd still have access to all of the costumes.

I quoted myself and I was saying it's not so bad because at the very least you're not paying for the extras if you have the disc which probably means it's all on the disc.