Jacksonville NC and surrounding area fight club

ed1371ed1371 YogahhJoined: Posts: 1,518
edited July 2013 in Atlantic South
Just moved here from SoCal...

Before dismissing this at least read the following...

I built/established THE scene in the Oceanside Ca area over 3 years. I wish I could have stayed but the usmc decided after 21 years to put me on the east coast. We united the folks from san diego all the way up to temecula.

Now that I am here, I see a huge vacuum for this area... Understood that many of the fighters are transient (military) but that shouldn't hold things back.

So the proposal is this.... once I am established and have a venue, to do casuals biweekly as well as run tourneys. I am brand new to this place but I am sure there are folks that want to play in a cool environment and have a good time. I did this in Socal and we went from 10 people to 100+ within months...

Also can help out with modding...Been around awhile and was taught by the best modders in the US... (the guys that dual mod at evo are my good friends..) Not gonna pat my back but I was nominated for stick of the year here on SRK... I now build customs here and there but its not a job... its a labor of love.

If you are interested, please hit me up... I will set up the site and get things running quickly...

DISCAIMER: if you are a marine.. there is no rank here... dont hesitate to play dammit..

Post edited by ed1371 on
why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage

Comments

• ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,518
    all it takes is a few folks to get things rolling... I already have all the equipment to stream matches HD with commentary as well as run multiple stations.

• DurandDurand Keyonsdad Joined: Posts: 54
    I am down for this, I am stationed at Cherry Point but I will make that drive.
    Semper Fidelis
    Well theres one :)

Once I get into my house and all my equipment, I will be ready to get things going. I am going to look at possible venues. Back in SoCal I initially hosted it at my house... we outgrew that fast... So I will look for a venue that can fit 50 comfortably.

Fine with that, please keep me posted.
    Semper Fidelis
  • TexasTimTexasTim Joined: Posts: 21
    I'd be interested. I'm brand new to this area as well. Can't seem to find a group that isn't a 2-3 hour drive away.
    Talked to a few locals here and this place really needs a scene. As I wait for my house to be ready (aug) I am staying in a hotel until then. Wouldnt mind hosting 3 to 5 folks for some casuals this fri or sat. I play sf4 for the most part. I have my ps3 so if you only have a 360 stick you would need to bring a system. Have an extra monitor so could run both.

Hit me up if interested, family isnt here yet so I really dont have crap goin on anyway.

I could stop by Saturday and play.
    Semper Fidelis
    I would not mind coming Saturday just to meet people. I've been playing anime, and haven't touched SF4 in years. I'd pretty much be brand new to the game. But, there are a couple chars that I'd be interested to play.
    At this point, I just want to play something though. Been here a month, and can't find anything.
    TexasTim wrote: »
    I would not mind coming Saturday just to meet people. I've been playing anime, and haven't touched SF4 in years. I'd pretty much be brand new to the game. But, there are a couple chars that I'd be interested to play.
    At this point, I just want to play something though. Been here a month, and can't find anything.

cool man, I have skullgirls...I am not any good at it so hey we both would be learning.

and as far as SF4 I am by no means great... I play sim "ok" and everyone else I tend to play old school; translation: not well lol

we can plan for sat... any time after like 2pm is fine.. hit me up text or call (435) 625-1371... if you want to bring a couple folks thats cool. Room isnt huge but enough for a few setups and a full fridge for beer or soda. Just at the extended stay america BTW.

If anyone else is interested just hit me up. At the very least meet a few folks, get a few games in. Like I mentioned before, this is how I got the scene in Oside started and really grew to something to be proud of. Hell we even went to EVO last year as a group and had one hell of a time.

edited July 2013
    Durand wrote: »
    I could stop by Saturday and play.
    Keep in mind thats quite a drive and it might just be a few folks... if you are cool with that then by all means feel free. Just dont want it to not be worth it for ya.

Also I only have 2 rules when I host: no drugs and no drinking and driving. If that means someone crashes on the floor so be it.. worst that can happen is you sleep on floor and maybe have one of our cats hang out with ya... We flew them here, I am stuck with them and they like ppl...

You still having casuals?
    Semper Fidelis
    great games tonight folks... had a good time tim/richard! Definatley good ppl and cant wait to build the scene... hope yall had a good time

Nice meeting you both. I think I'll have fun learning SF4. Thanks to you both for the games. I learned a lot from just playing.
    Maybe next time I'll bust out my laptop and show off a bit of my favorite game, Melty Blood. :)
    Yesterday was fun for sure, we need to do it again so I can improve my Akuma.
    Semper Fidelis
    When is the next time you are doing casuals?
    Semper Fidelis
    this upcoming Sat. (Aug 3rd) Anytime after 3pm

I won't be able to make it this weekend but the weekend of August 9th I will be there.
    Semper Fidelis
    Plan on hosting every sat until I get my house...I am looking for a viable venue now.

edited July 2013
    I'll come over and mess around for a bit. If it's just us, then I might leave kinda early, but I would not mind getting some more practice in. I expect that after a week of not touching the game, I'm going to have to relearn most everything. If there are more ppl than your hotel can fit, my apt is like 2 blocks up the road.
    well I doubt we will exceed the room capacity as with a little rearranging there could be 5 setups comfortable with some room to move.

For anyone interested, you are welcome to come by and hang out and play a few games, just hit me up so I know how many to expect.

I think I am close to locking on the regular venue... just need to talk to the managers of a few hotels in the area to work out a schedule to use their conference rooms.

I will be putting together the website/FB group, and flyers this week. Will only take a day or two as I have done this before :)

Okay, that will be nice.
    Semper Fidelis
    @ed1371, how much for that 15 anniversary street fighter fight stick?
    Semper Fidelis
    edited July 2013
    I got it for $50.... don't want to sell it... I am gonna mod it to work with PS3/360/(and just about everything else too), replace stick and buttons with the proper parts (the ones it comes with are knockoffs... I collect sticks and been wanting that one for a while now.

If you want something like that, its easy to build the same type and folks are usually selling them on the trade thread here on SRK....

Post edited by ed1371 on

edited August 2013
    OK hosting tomorrow... any and all are welcome. I only have 2 setups at the moment (my house is ready next week so I will have all my other setups shortly) so if you want to bring a system feel free. I have an extra monitor here as well.

Website is 80% done, and once my tools get here on the 15th I can build and mod again. I dont do it for money and just do it for cost so if you want a dual mod or a complete custom lemmie know.

Picked up a few games too.. (tim I got you a copy of SFAE btw...it was cheap so dont worry about it) so can play anything yall want.

Will also make sure we has some food... hopefully pizza will work... when I usually host I go crazy with BBQ
    Post edited by ed1371 on

Ah sry. Last min change of plans for me today, and I wont be able to make it.
  • TheViewtifu1TheViewtifu1 Joined: Posts: 7
    Hello Im Ben and I live in Greensboro and i want to find people to play street fighter, marvel and injustice i would love to know when u guys get together to play some sets. gamertag caninevirus PSN caninevirus44
    Cool man, will post the next get together.

Are you still doing casuals this weekend? If so are you still in the same place as last time? I will be bring along a friend this time.
    Semper Fidelis
  • gamewizard108gamewizard108 anime swag Joined: Posts: 467
    edited August 2013
    So are you guys totally ignoring the other NC thread or are you guys to cool to post in that one. also, viewtiful, if your from greensboro you should join this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/fightinggamersnc. we have sessions in greensboro on tuesdays and thursdays and happen to have great injustice,marvel and sf4 players. btw everyone in NC has moved to facebook, just in case your wondering.
    edited August 2013
    I didn't ignore the thread, but as I read it, the thread was called RIP from the same folks that had posted in it. I searched and saw a few postings from folks in this area in the past which were ignored, so why beat a dead horse?

I tried to join a few groups on FB, never got accepted... even the open group just wouldn't take. I did look at what I could on there and there wasn't anything in this area either.

Didn't notice the last guy was posting from so far away... Whole purpose I am trying to start up the group is because we in the J'Ville area, are very much like how things were for me in the So-Cal scene I just came from... stuck in the middle between 2 established areas that would take quite a drive (1-2 hours) to get to either.

So in a nutshell, I am trying to establish a local scene here very much how things went with the Oceanside/Camp Pendleton area that is thriving now. No too cool, just too far at the moment... Once we (hopefully) grow we can make trips out to the more major areas as a group.

On a side note, I invested a lot of time and money into OFC (Oceanside Fight Club) so I was very sad to get orders away from there after so much...Thankfully SDFGC picked up the slack and hosts them now and even got sponsored by Madcatz thanks to Markman being such a cool SD native. I bring with me a lot of equipment, experience, stick modding/building skill and personal contacts that will help get things running much faster and smoother than before.

Post edited by ed1371 on

SF this weekend?
    Semper Fidelis
    Hey guys. Sry for disappearing for a bit. Work has been crazy, and I've been working on the weekends. Looks like I'ma be too busy this weekend too. :(
    I indent to make next weekend though.
    You move into your house yet?
    edited August 2013
    just moved into the house this week and we are still unpacking... little bit of a nightmare lol...

If any would like to come by the house sunday (anytime after 3 pm) we can have some casuals.

next weekend I will host at my house, its kinda huge and tons of space... this wont be the norm but as long as its under 20 ppl the wife can put up with it for a night. :)

after that, I will be having it at most likely the candlewood hotel conference room.

Finally got all my gear (lol movers actually asked if I was an arcade tech because of all the parts and sticks lol) so ready to get things going. Still getting my workshop set up but can do mods if needed now.

for those that may be new: text me at (435) 625-1371

I am off all week (took leave to get the house in order) so if you want to drop by to play a few hit me up.

• ShinsoBEAM!ShinsoBEAM! Magi Lyfe Joined: Posts: 306
    edited August 2013
    I will probably be there, I'm from the hardcore Raleigh anime game scene. I lived there and make the drive like at least once a month. This is only an hour away though so I can actually SLEEP IN MY OWN BED THANK GOODNESS. I live in morehead city now...only capcom game I enjoy is SFxT.

But yeah NC group is now on facebook I had no idea this existed until someone mentioned it. I'm kinda shocked you didn't get in a group, it's probably because of all the insane levels of inviting resulted in pruning unless people actually met you like once before. You can always start a jacksonville area group *this is probably a smart idea*.

Texas Tim have I played you I'm the C-Satsuki player that gets #2 to Brent at every tourney(I switched mains recently to C-S.Akiha in an attempt to get #1)
    Post edited by ShinsoBEAM! on
    "The moment that they thought about picking this game up from the store,they should've just quit... " -GammaGearJustice
    @ed1371, you doing casuals Saturday?
    Semper Fidelis
    Yup, going at my house. Text me for address

When you wake up answer my text.
    "The moment that they thought about picking this game up from the store,they should've just quit... " -GammaGearJustice
    @durand you coming today?

Yeah I will stop by round 3.
    Semper Fidelis
    @durand starting things at 4 and hosting at my house. I can text or pm u address

I will text you once I head up there.
    Semper Fidelis
    Cool man, hey @TexasTim you making able to make it? Tried to pm you but permissions are weird on the mobile site here

Good games tonight! Divekick was fun too.. need more folks and like I mentioned tonight, we will do it here till we out grow it

GG to all who showed up last night.
    Semper Fidelis
    Holy shit I had way too much caffeine this time I'll try to cut back next time.
  • DarkB33fDarkB33f Joined: Posts: 1
    Sounds cool I live in Morehead and work on Cherry Point. It def. would not be unreasonable I would think to make this trip maybe once a month. Ive been living here for a while and must admit that once I got married I stopped trying to find a good scene but would much like to see if we could get one going. I have a friend or two that might also be willing. I play on 360 SFIV mostly but I dabble in a lot of others.
    edited September 2013
    It's like a 50min drive from morehead city it's really not bad at all...less then my daily commute.

Are you hosting tommorow?
    edited September 2013
    Edit: cant host sat...
    Post edited by ed1371 on

Plans changed today... will get a schedule together

Hosting Sat Sept 15th. Start time will be 5pm. If you are new contact me at (435) 625-1371 or PM me here for info.

I also have all my tools and workstation all set up now so if you need stick tech help or a dual mod let me know.