Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,721 mod
    edited April 2016
    (That would actually cost WotC (a lot of) money, though, even if we're talking about just reprinting enough copies of old restricted cards to drive down the cost that much.)

Even if they did reprint things, while it would lower the cost of some things, it's still ultimately not going to stop speculative assholes from (artificially) driving up the costs even if the cards themselves never see much play, i.e. Glimpse the Unthinkable.

Regardless, I agree with ukyo_rulz that counterfeits aren't a huge issue for the average player who actually, well, plays.

ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    The Damned wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what exactly was it about Dromoka's Command that murdered RW Control? The instant & sorcery damage prevention plus its ability to force sacrifice of enchantments? I'm guessing that was it even though I have no idea what RW Control even was at the time.

RW Control relied primarily on Outpost Siege to generate card advantage. The rest of the deck was cheap interaction and a few finishers. *snip*

I see. That's rather unfortunate.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,004 mod
    pretty sure we arent too far from them also replicating the foil logo.

Although it might as easy as brutalizing some dillar rares with an x-acto knife and placing them ion the ones.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,414
    I know somebody that makes beast ass proxies, but his customs always have his initials on it so they are known counterfeits. But fake cards are ultra close.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,124
    Pertho wrote: »
    pretty sure we arent too far from them also replicating the foil logo.

Although it might as easy as brutalizing some dillar rares with an x-acto knife and placing them ion the ones.

Fairly sure currency is harder to counterfeit than Magic cards and people still manage. I think the only reason it's not more widespread is just that there are too many people out there that don't even know what Magic is let alone know how much money is in it.
    edited April 2016
    Going to build Emeria Titan for Modern. It loses to some straight combo stuff but it's too much raw value for fair decks to compete with, it just stalls into an endgame machine that's next to impossible to shut down.
    Post edited by FrostyAU on
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,991

You only get DQed for knowingly playing counterfeit cards.

but the chance of that happening is so astronomically low it's better to take the chance than to bother with the hassle of constant hyper-vigilance on all card transactions. Just think of the perfect storm of events that needs to happen for that to take place:

I mean, do you check every card your opponent plays at every event to see if it's counterfeit? I've never done that or had it done to me. It just seems like an absurd amount of effort to police something that is not at all my responsibility. Counterfeits are WotC's problem.

A counterfeit that can be detected within 30 seconds does not qualify as an "almost undetectable" counterfeit. But don't buy a jeweler's loupe or scrutinize every card each opponent plays on every event. That's just ridiculous.

... for WotC. They are a major problem for WotC. For us they are a non-issue.

You can be DQed for playing with them, they don't care if you know. @preppy will clarify this as he is a Judge.

This is 2016 not 2000. People try to win by any means, so much money and notoriety on the line people will do anything to win its kinda sad really. Am I personally gonna look at every card or give it any thought when I playing obviously not but in a Legacy or Vintage event and I just happen to see a card that doesn't look right fuck it why not try and steal a win.

30 seconds with a tool, without its very tough but they are not yet infallible, the funny thing is once they become infallible they are no longer fakes and they become real as there is not way to separate the real from the fakes so the end result is the fakes become essentially real. The only flaw is they cant print a pure white or black border and it has pixels as it is a low end printer they likely use. I got a Loupe for $1.88 I will get today or tomorrow. I was able to 600 dpi scan all my high value cards and all seems fine even the Bayou I was almost sure was fake. But since I play in expensive formats I now can have a tool that cost me less than 8 quarters to make sure my hundreds/thousands are not wasted

But hey wanna buy 4 goyfs for $300? I promise they are not fake just fallen onto hard times and am strapped for cash :o and even if they are who cares right?

FrostyAU wrote: »
    Especially when they want to release new sets like Eternal Masters, the main selling point of which is all of these currently expensive cards.

This! Except is you the buyer on the secondary market that gets fucked not WOTC. They don't give a FUCK cause they are gonna sell their product, it on you the consumer to make sure the non EM cards you get are indeed what you are getting.

I think @ukyo_rulz is misreading my posts. I like to be nice guy and pass info along to people who I think can use my expert godfuckingfather advice or learn from my experiences good or bad, some of you might say fuck it I'm getting into Legacy right after Eternal Masters is out and I might have just saved you some money when you get a bad apple cause I am 100% sure they are going to be highly circulated here in 2 months when the Legacy "boom" is likely to hit a all time high.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27693_Counterfeit-Cards.html bought sums it all up.
  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    If any of you currrr... Hex is a card game that came out on Steam yesterday, but it's been out as a stand alone game for a while.
    It's definitely got the MTG feel, with mana pools working a tad differently.

Check it out if you don't want to fork out 10 bucks for MTGO.
    Hex got sued by WoTC. No idea what came of it after that.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Maybe a little TOO similar to MTG lol
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,588
    odin wrote: »

Maybe a little TOO similar to MTG lol

If Force of Will can survive a WotC lawsuit, anything else is fair game.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    Pff, if watered down M:TG can be a succesful game where people pretend it isn't, WoTC can't sue anybody anymore.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,481
    BR3N7 wrote: »
    But hey wanna buy 4 goyfs for $300?

Personally I think anyone who buys four pieces of cardboard for $300 deserves whatever they get. But that's just me.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    I was originally going to disagree with Ukyo's post but, actually I have nothing for that. People keep saying that the exorbitant prices on cards means the game is healthy but its been just as healthy before and demand may be greater but the number of people cracking packs has also increased substantially.

On the plus side I am Ultra Bronze on SFV playing it on pad. :lol:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,991
    I was originally going to disagree with Ukyo's post but, actually I have nothing for that. People keep saying that the exorbitant prices on cards means the game is healthy but its been just as healthy before and demand may be greater but the number of people cracking packs has also increased substantially.

Ya I think the game costing to to much but that only makes the thief's stronger.

I can honestly say I hope the fakes become the new reals and I own real cards to make that statement cause it would make everything so fucking cheap and formats like vintage would be accessible to everyone.

Get a Cronus? thats what I use, was like $25 and I don't need to upgrade from my 360 stick. Funny haven't played ranked cause of the RQs though will once thats addressed but have beaten many a top 1000 people.
    edited April 2016
    @BR3N7 Nothing passes the DPI test, but the disadvantage is that you need the real and fake card. The loupe also requires you to either have a poorly done counterfeit or a side by side comparison. If it's a thing you care about, then a major issue is that in order to have valid analysis then you have to own fakes.

tldr: Hunt down the best current counterfeits for the expensive parts of your collection if you are worried.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • BIG BAD MOGBIG BAD MOG Tough, yet Fluffy Joined: Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I both like the increase and decrease in prices of cards. On one hand, it really sucks that staples end up costing as much as actual good investments (talking about actual equity and not "you'll be using this card for a long time").

However remember that a lot of new brews came up from looking at cheaper cards. Nourishing Shoal used to be dirt cheap and then shot up after Grishoalbrand was brewed. Goryo's was like $10 at the time, and when the deck got invented, it went up to $30 immediately. I feel that if all cards were affordable that we would have 10000000x more people goldfishing and bringing the same deck as everyone else to every tournament (as evident from eldrazi spoiled initially. Not saying it was as cheap as budget, but a playset a thought-knots were pennies compared to even ONE goyf). So even though WOTC intentionally prints garbage for sets, there is still an incentive for brewers to come up with new ideas using a card with untouched recognition.
    Trying to start shit with the players from the city near us. What would be the best way to have a sort of grudge match type event? May or may not be streamed, kind of playing it by ear at the moment.

Figured that a streamed 5v5 with a fun premise would be a good way to make competitive stuff less serious and promote both communities. Lets see if they bite with the trolling.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

edited April 2016
    I like games with a higher price barrier because opening cards is more fun that way for the newbies.
    I accidentally a grudge match.

Spend some time preppy and now i'm doing something nice for the community.

Now i got hella dudes wanting to form teams. Will post my op on the whole thing when i get home.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Trying to start shit with the players from the city near us. What would be the best way to have a sort of grudge match type event? May or may not be streamed, kind of playing it by ear at the moment.

Figured that a streamed 5v5 with a fun premise would be a good way to make competitive stuff less serious and promote both communities. Lets see if they bite with the trolling.

So hard to do this in CCG's vs fighting games nowadays, I hate there is only good personalities in Magic. The Magic scene doesn't need 1000 good guys and no bad guys. Like some people are not liked for stupid stuff or are notorious cheaters but like I strongly think the Magic scene needs a Marn or Champ badly to stir the pot especially at like the SCG level even if not to just make things more fun, not saying be a dick but do things like call someone free and play with your hand face up. But Wizards doesn't like unsportsmanlike conduct kinda shit, hell you cant even say "he" without some backlash. So there ya go.

This was VERY common in the 90's early 00's. I remember my all time favorite 5v5 was my Redlands DBZ team vs Coronas DBZ punk bitches. It all started over some dumb shit too cause the fool popped off at my teammate who was still kinda new to the game having no idea who I was till someone called me by my online tag to come over and tell that fool what was up and he was like your that guy and I was like ya bitch (keep in mind I was the best in the game for the most part). Was about 2 months of shit talking then we did a $300 5v5 25 match set. But it ended with my team just annihilating them of the 25 matches we lost like 4. I remember as I beat there bitch ass "leader" I gave him the finger right to his face. Honestly I had MANY a beefs and grudge matches/money matches though in my time. I'm a lot like Champ and Marn a real cocky show boater when provoked.

But ya try to assemble a 5v5 and fuck that "less serious" talk. Just say y'all bitches is free as fuck and your probably to big of punk bitches to play anyways and you'll get your 5v5 I promise, and make it a nice buy-in, no pennies and shit no pride just that green back homie to get everyone on there A game.

Which I could do some things raw as all hell but people in M:TG can't compartmentalize that stuff as well as people in FGs. I'm just happy that something trolly got some traction towards an actual event. the post I made:
    Attention Las Cruces magic players who have friended me on facebook. After much thought, it occurred to me that your friendliness are of sinister intent: getting me to acknowledge green enchiladas.

As you are all well aware, nobody wants to eat something which looks as if it were covered in the boogers of a stampede of elephants. This is not to say that i hate green chiles. Nay, i acknowledge that its rightful place is on top of burgers; not clinging on to the old cuisine of which it no longer has citizenship.

In order to settle this matter, i believe we should have a duel. The time and place to be decided; we cant use guns as us Texans, having a natural advantage, would be most unfair to you Mexicans of New. We need a neutral ground in which the natural, shall we say, "spiciness" of our respective chiles may do battle intellectually: a game of magic.

I believe we should have teams. These teams ranging from three to five with formats to be determined. I also believe this duel should take place in a time period not to be sooner than 2 weeks nor more than three months to allow for proper banter, training and more banter.

Each community should find a representative and then decide how team members are chosen for a battle at a respective time.

I eagerly await your response.

Signed,

Pertho "The Prime Speaker" SRK

I'm hella trolly with a lot of the stuff I do.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

So hard to do this in CCG's vs fighting games nowadays, I hate there is only good personalities in Magic. The Magic scene doesn't need 1000 good guys and no bad guys.

EFro, Owen and many of their crew are the "heels" of the MtG community. I also happen to think that Drew Levin is pretty despicable.
    Maybe Owen, the rest are just bitches and nerds trying to be the cool kids.

Too bad Preppy and I didn't get to have a good conversation on the communities. we def had some good points worth discussing.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,263
    you know, all this Bant Coco dominance reminds of a sweet song:

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,879

You only get DQed for knowingly playing counterfeit cards.

but the chance of that happening is so astronomically low it's better to take the chance than to bother with the hassle of constant hyper-vigilance on all card transactions. Just think of the perfect storm of events that needs to happen for that to take place:

I mean, do you check every card your opponent plays at every event to see if it's counterfeit? I've never done that or had it done to me. It just seems like an absurd amount of effort to police something that is not at all my responsibility. Counterfeits are WotC's problem.

A counterfeit that can be detected within 30 seconds does not qualify as an "almost undetectable" counterfeit. But don't buy a jeweler's loupe or scrutinize every card each opponent plays on every event. That's just ridiculous.

... for WotC. They are a major problem for WotC. For us they are a non-issue.

You can be DQed for playing with them, they don't care if you know. @preppy will clarify this as he is a Judge.

This is 2016 not 2000. People try to win by any means, so much money and notoriety on the line people will do anything to win its kinda sad really. Am I personally gonna look at every card or give it any thought when I playing obviously not but in a Legacy or Vintage event and I just happen to see a card that doesn't look right fuck it why not try and steal a win.

30 seconds with a tool, without its very tough but they are not yet infallible, the funny thing is once they become infallible they are no longer fakes and they become real as there is not way to separate the real from the fakes so the end result is the fakes become essentially real. The only flaw is they cant print a pure white or black border and it has pixels as it is a low end printer they likely use. I got a Loupe for $1.88 I will get today or tomorrow. I was able to 600 dpi scan all my high value cards and all seems fine even the Bayou I was almost sure was fake. But since I play in expensive formats I now can have a tool that cost me less than 8 quarters to make sure my hundreds/thousands are not wasted

But hey wanna buy 4 goyfs for $300? I promise they are not fake just fallen onto hard times and am strapped for cash :o and even if they are who cares right?

FrostyAU wrote: »
    Especially when they want to release new sets like Eternal Masters, the main selling point of which is all of these currently expensive cards.

This! Except is you the buyer on the secondary market that gets fucked not WOTC. They don't give a FUCK cause they are gonna sell their product, it on you the consumer to make sure the non EM cards you get are indeed what you are getting.

I think @ukyo_rulz is misreading my posts. I like to be nice guy and pass info along to people who I think can use my expert godfuckingfather advice or learn from my experiences good or bad, some of you might say fuck it I'm getting into Legacy right after Eternal Masters is out and I might have just saved you some money when you get a bad apple cause I am 100% sure they are going to be highly circulated here in 2 months when the Legacy "boom" is likely to hit a all time high.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27693_Counterfeit-Cards.html bought sums it all up.

Insightful. Brent, on a side note, have you or anyone else tried my legacy combo that gives yum finite black mana a few pages ago...

Remember, back in 1997/1998 everyone was like, MTG will be dead before 1999
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,721 mod
    (*looks at ukyo_rulz's latest post*

Not sure how I managed ventriloquism without even posting yesterday to my knowledge, but I guess this is just more evidence towards having me possibly having DID.)

Well, the price of Wheel of Sun and Moon seems to have skyrocketed recently. I'm guessing it's in response to Sword of the Meek being unbanned:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=146740&type=card

Well, that's a shame, both because I like the card but am unwilling to spend $25 per copy for it and because it becoming far more popular than it was fucks over both Dredge and Living End (and, I guess, any "chance" Mill had of actually getting off its Glimpse the Unthinkable speculating ass).

If nothing else, however, then I was reminded how much I also like the art on the card and I should go get a full-size version of its art to use as the background on this laptop.

Emanuelb wrote: »
    you know, all this Bant Coco dominance reminds of a sweet song:

Huh. I'd never even heard of this song before, but it is really catchy.

Curse you.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Reminds me of this. This came out when ST came up (1994):

Removed 3 Anguished Unmakings. Maybe it's because of speculation or whatnot, but I have yet to go against someone with Thopter combo. Most of the time AU is only removing a creature at the loss of three health, so it's not really that much of a step up from dismember. Over a span of games, it's definitely memorable to remove a walker, enchantment, or artifact, but not enough to warrant the heavy life loss.

I decided to slot in Tasigur, Murderous Cut and another timely reinforcement. Swapped an island for a Vault of the Archangel as well. I can grind and tempo, but I find myself a lot of times just wanting something other than BB that I can protect and ride to victory with. That or find some way of turning the tides without relying on Avacyn more. Games where I did not have AU I won. Games where I did have AU I tended to lose. If the meta switches to more TRON or Thopters then I'll go back.

Was thinking about esper charm as well but I don't think I can support the mana base without taking out the mutavaults. It's a shame because that card is pretty good at all stages.
    (I'm assuming by "that card" in the last sentence, you mean Mutavault rather than Esper Charm.)

Anyway, I found the article that briefly talks about the artwork behind Wheel of Sun and Moon if anyone else wants it for themselves. I had to scour the archives for a bit given that apparently shitty forum updates by Wizards also broke all of the article links in the comments sections of Gatherer: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/sun-and-moon-sketches-2008-06-19.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,263
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Reminds me of this. This came out when ST came up (1994):

That's because both are from the 90's and both eurodance. The good times...

@BIG BAD MOGAnguished Unmaking is a good sideboard card but idk how I feel about bolting myself to exile something except for vs Tron.
    (*looks at ukyo_rulz's latest post*

Not sure how I managed ventriloquism without even posting yesterday to my knowledge

I edit replies in Visual Studio sometimes to make it seem like I'm working. Copy-pastas get mixed up. You understand.
    I haven't tried Anguished Unmaking in Modern but it's kind of neat looking. Might throw a couple in an Orzhov midrange deck I was building.
    BullDancer wrote: »
    @BIG BAD MOGAnguished Unmaking is a good sideboard card but idk how I feel about bolting myself to exile something except for vs Tron.

I was thinking that, but then I remembered that I went esper so that I could sideboard against a lot of the stuff in the first place (ex/ stony silence, rest in peace, kor firewalker, etc). Since it's generally agreed that you can't sideboard to slamdunk every match-up, you might as well just tilt the odds slightly to your favor. Therefore I decided to remove anguished unmaking as a whole until the meta shifts to heavy combo recursion. Rest in peace and stony silence are both good enough to deal with thopter if it becomes a thing and they're both cheaper, persistent and don't bash me.

BTW, here are some weird combos I have been seeing online:

Using Thalia to increase the mana cost for Painful Truths so that you can get higher converge and cards

Using painter's servant and Teysa to exile everything

Using Orzhov Pontiff as a one-sided board wipe (this one I later found out to be an already known thing) when you pick the correct target orders.

So far I still enjoy esper faeries but I am at a loss as to what to fill in for the slots to cover the times that I don't have bitterblossom early or just have a bunch of control at the start. Tasigur is cool and all but after more testing he really fights with snapcaster.
    So wizards made some solid changes I actually like, I said a while back that the HOF shit was bad and am glad they addressed that now and while they all still get invites they are no longer just paid for showing up. And the Platinum change is HUGE and I am sure someone like Owen will write up how its fucked up etc. I feel PPTQ's should be just limited only and same with RPTQ's. I think when that comes around as it scheduled to then I will try and make a run at it.

On a fun side note, I own 8 dark petitions. Hope they keep creeping up.
    Think dark petition is the only thing i dont have of that deck.

Anything involving pros can go suck a dick. Bring back the Junior Super Series.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

So wizards made some solid changes I actually like, I said a while back that the HOF shit was bad and am glad they addressed that now and while they all still get invites they are no longer just paid for showing up. And the Platinum change is HUGE and I am sure someone like Owen will write up how its fucked up etc. I feel PPTQ's should be just limited only and same with RPTQ's. I think when that comes around as it scheduled to then I will try and make a run at it.

On a fun side note, I own 8 dark petitions. Hope they keep creeping up.

Dark Petition is pretty cool. It works well in Commander. I was toying with a deck for Modern as well which is a Combo deck that can use it but I don't think I'll bother sticking with it.

The Combo is Tainted Remedy + Beacon of Immortality. Dark Petition can find and drop Tainted Remedy or find Beacon of Immortality. Handhate and stuff like Condemn + Path fills the yard quickly for Spell Mastery. Condemn goes really well with Tainted Remedy as well. Other stuff I was thinking of was Wall of Shards and Wall of Omens plus Alms Beast which would be hilarious with Tainted Remedy. The reason I don't think I'll stick with it is that it's fairly reliant on Tainted Remedy and even with Dark Petition being able to find and drop it, it might be a bit fragile.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So what's the best/easiest way to sell cards? Been thinking about getting into the financial aspect of MTG since I get tons of cards but only play casually. Got an expedition Horizon Canopy that I sold on ebay for ~100 and was a little pissed that they take 10% now apparently.

TCG player?