Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,247
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with him swinging, it's him stopping you losing while building into an even harder target to kill.

Yeah but that still doesn't create the snowballing advantage that makes planeswalkers such a pain to deal with. Even comparing with something like Ajani-3, you had to kill Ajani right away or he would distribute more and more counters. Gideon-4, Xenagos, Innistrad Garruk, and even Elspeth-6 all left behind tokens that had to be dealt with.

This Gideon seems, at best, to be a better Kiora-4. And if you'll recall Kiora-4 was never a huge threat because when you killed her that was it.

Kiora costed 4 mana, started at 2 loyality and worst offence, was GU. New Gideon costs 3 mana which is big. A 3 mana 4/4 indistructible creature would be dope, and this Gideon is much better. He can deffend himself really well from being attacked (remember how annoying Kiora's +1 was ?) and the Emblem can be frustrating to deal with.

A new spoiler: http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/vizierofthemenagerie.html

Finally a green card I like. Reminds me of courser of kruphix. And bring on the rest of the gods already !!!!

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,417
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    Kiora costed 4 mana, started at 2 loyality and worst offence, was GU. New Gideon costs 3 mana which is big. A 3 mana 4/4 indistructible creature would be dope, and this Gideon is much better.

I'm not saying he's bad. He looks great actually. What I'm saying is he doesn't look like a part of the problem, where I define the problem as the tendency of recent threats to demand an answer within one turn or they would accumulate more and more advantage.

From Gideon-4 to Tracker to Constrictor to Ballista to 4C Aetherworks recent decks are defined by threats that accrue more and more advantage every turn. Basically the longer you take to kill them, the harder and more pointless it gets. If wait just two turns before killing a Tracker you're already 2 cards in the hole. A Gideon-4 left alive for three turns generates 6/6 worth of stats leftover even when you kill it. So on and so forth. This Gideon, while strong and able to defend himself while growing loyalty, at the very least does not leave behind more stuff to kill even when you manage to kill it.

That might be my favorite card in the set so far.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,595
    That's a good card. Trying to figure what I'd run it with but it's definitely going to be useful. Maybe Bant? Spell Queller is still beast and I actually like that new Angel with an ORing strapped to it and Embalm.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 10
    I was wondering, with all this new Gideon talk, do you think there will ever be a card with "destroy target emblem"? I'm thinking something like a 4 or 5 mana sorcery that says "destroy target artifact, enchantment, or emblem"

Obviously I think emblems are something not technically meant to be interacted with, but there are cards that let you play stuff outside the game or exiled so maybe it's just a matter of time?
    en_KiZxnLFWhM.png

This has a weird kind of potential. Like obviously it screams load a deck full of cats but outside of that it's 7 damage on an empty boardstate with an 11 point lifeswing. There are a couple of cats as well. Felidar Guardian obviously which can flicker it but there are also a handful of playable Energy cats like Aetherstream Leopard, Longtusk Cub and Riparian Tiger. The new Prowling Serpopard is definitely playable as well.
    This thing has an oddly huge amount of potential as well,

Crocodile-of-the-Crossing-Amonkhet-Spoiler-216x302.png

You'd run 4 copies of Servant of the Conduit and you can easily just -1 your mana dork to swing for 5 on turn 3.

en_rN1dJD5xIn.png

^ this is just asking for someone to build a Green stompy list as well. Standard is full of stuff like Green Hulk, World Breaker, Rishkar and other ways to just pump out Green creatures.

Sorry for the triple post but pure speculation is that a new tier one deck could be Exert.

Always Watching combined with Combat Celebrant and Champion of Rhonas. The rest of the deck is flexible but you could run Servant and Channeler Initiate to load up on 4 drops with Vizier of the Menagerie and run a playset of the Glorybringer Dragon as well. Glorybound Initiate is good as well. There's plenty of room to expand on the concept but the basic idea of running Always Watching with Exert creatures and how strong Combat Celebrant and Champion of Rhonas are should make the deck ridiculous.
    This has a weird kind of potential.

Oh yes, more flickering cats. Exactly what Standard needed.

Also God Damn It I somehow thought BFZ was rotating. After I get my damn playmat I will take a break from Standard maybe unless a cool GB midrange deck comes out.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,569
    Wonder who the other Planeswalkers will be besides Bolas...
  • BIG BAD MOGBIG BAD MOG Tough, yet Fluffy Joined: Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

Ashiok
    We need some more OG stuff from Dominaria. Wonder if they will make a set, "Back to Dominaria" or something...
  • shinquickmanshinquickman Joined: Posts: 1,804
    edited April 11

Ashiok
    That would be cool, but then there'd be a lack of Red planeswalkers in the set, even counting Bolas. I think it's Tibalt's time to shine. Or, if not, a Red Amonkhet native.
    TimeAttack: Grand Coward of SRK since November 18th, 2015
    edited April 11
    We need some more OG stuff from Dominaria. Wonder if they will make a set, "Back to Dominaria" or something...

They should do like a story where the gatewatch just shit the bed on protecting a plane (dominaria) and they all commit suicide to use the energy of their spark to recreate it. BUT they can only really get it kick-started, so it's like a very primitive world with like mythical dinosaurs and cavemen and shit.

Lol
  • BR3N7BR3N7 mmmmm creamy!!! Joined: Posts: 1,868
    I could even see Gideon poppiing in eternal formats, too. There's not much removal for walkers there, and a 3 mana walker is ok.

"Could" lol more like "Will"

Gideon is for sure seeing play in Legacy. Just for starters DnT will run 1 over the other Gideon or side by side and its funny because on Sunday I opted to play the Solider Legacy deck for fun and was talking to another guy at the ship who plays the same deck and said it really needs a good 3 drop plainswalker/white pitch dork and someone was like maybe the new Gideon(had not seen it). I was like whats it do and they said it and I laughed and said no really.

1) Its removal/allows you to get around a brick walls and hits even crap like mishras factory etc..
    2) Its a creature
    3) It can steal games.

I will be running 1 for sure in the 75 of the solider list as he becomes one and both the other effects are just to good.

Not broken level but very good and could be a top 6 plainswalker very much a possibility as far as upside.

It dying to Decay is the only real flaw but thats not terrible.

Ashiok
    That would be cool, but then there'd be a lack of Red planeswalkers in the set, even counting Bolas. I think it's Tibalt's time to shine. Or, if not, a Red Amonkhet native.

Although I agree, I'm just saying what some videos were discussing. Even though I know very little about lore, some of the points people were making in both lore and visual design makes it convincing. I don't know too many other potentially "villainous" planeswalkers, but Ashiok seems like the only other planeswalker within reason that Nicol Bolas could respect.

In other news:

harshmentor.jpg

Has my pick for excitement. Although he would be great against lantern, lantern is a pretty favored match-up for burn. If the melira combo ever becomes a thing again, it would be a cool hedge against it albeit wouldn't be an instant win. He looks like he could be fun against affinity or even eldrazi displacer. I could probably think bigger but the things this guy hits are plenty.

I am both disappointed and happy that this set seems to have better zombie tribal content than soi or emn.

Ashiok

New Nissa got spoilt. She's like a GU repeatable weaker version of CoCo with an X in her mana cost
    Sarkhan might make it since he's the dragon whisperer...

Also, that new Gideon will just get

Image.ashx?multiverseid=504&type=card
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,884 admin
    Sarkhan might make it since he's the dragon whisperer...

Also, that new Gideon will just get

Image.ashx?multiverseid=504&type=card
    gl with that

Image.ashx?multiverseid=397677&type=card

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

Speaking of why wouldn't you just throw him into a Prison Fort deck. You know the Ghostly Prison one.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,937
    And we got a 3/4 double strike, flash, haste, vigilance who gives all your creatures haste in standard for 5 (So outside of push range and just before grasp rotates)

http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/samutvoiceofdissent.html

I'm thinking Jund might just get to be a thing again in standard.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    I know at prerelease I'm gonna be picking red as one of my colors. Some REALLY good aggro cards in red this time around.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 mmmmm creamy!!! Joined: Posts: 1,868
    So Harsh Mentor might be my new BFF. Tried him in Dragon Stompy and he was ok and might replace revoker but now Legacy Human Prison Stompy got its last piece is needed. Gonna need a lot more testing and tweeking but so far today its been a lot better than I thought it would of been.

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraban
    4 Harsh Mentor
    4 Thalia's Lieutenant
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Palace Jailer

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field

6 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Plateau
    2 Arid Mesa

1 Palace Jailer
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Cunning Smarksmith
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Disenchant
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Selfless Squire
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,179
    http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/rhonastheindomitable.html
    Best God by far...Curves so well with Heart and Gideon imo
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    T7:Katarina,Bob. Xrd:Jack-o.I2:Superman,Black Adam.
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC
    Nissa is I this
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,597 mod
    (Ugh. So much to catch up on. Figured I would start here.)

Amonkhet is actually looking surprisingly good outside of there being another obnoxiously overpowered form of Gideon...when the most obnoxiously overpowered form of Gideon isn't rotating out like it was originally going to and still hasn't been banned like it or Felidar Guardian should have been because of "face" value and sheer incompetence respectively.

Oh well. If that's the worst thing about this set as opposed to say the absolutely genius idea of nigh noninteractive Vehicles or actually noninteractive energy counters, then that's a vast improvement over both at least Kaladesh block and Battle for Zendikar block.

I must admit that I was a bit worried initially when it looked WotC was again pushing only two and a half colors at max--White (Gideon), Black (Liliana), and Green (pushed creatures & Nissa)--at first, but most of the recent Red cards ranged from "usable" to "extremely good". Glorious End falls on the latter side of that scale:

gloriousend.jpg

Among other things, I find it hilarious that Red gets what is technically (another?) hard counterspell before Black gets one. As if Dash Hopes didn't get enough hate already. The fact that Glorious End can change into itself is even funnier. I am also surprised it doesn't exile itself.

*snip*

I am both disappointed and happy that this set seems to have better zombie tribal content than soi or emn.

Yeah. It's super weird, even with the standardizing of the barely used Mummy subtype to the far more used Zombie subtype making it nigh inevitable in an Egyptian themed block. Even before the two new mono-White Zombie Tribal cards that were just revealed--Binding Mummy and Time to Reflect--got spoiled, most of the new Black-related Zombie stuff shown so far is better than basically all of the Zombie stuff that we got in SoI or EMN outside of Cryptbreaker and I guess technically Liliana, the Last Hope.

The fact that Binding Mummy is Common as well just makes me want to see if that old MTGO account I signed up years ago but never got to use actually still works just because it seems like it would be rather fun to try to make a Black-White Zombie deck in Pauper.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    The fact White got a version of Parallel lives makes me definitely feel that tokens will be a playable deck in this block.

Naya with Always Watching and Exert will be tier one. Cheating creatures, extra combat phases, it's just going to get dumb.

Ashiok

New Nissa got spoilt. She's like a GU repeatable weaker version of CoCo with an X in her mana cost

Nissa and gideon are perhaps the most boring planeswalkers I have ever seen. When I came back into mtg and heard of planeswalkers, each of them and their new iterations sounded crazy. However when it comes to Nissa or Gideon, they seem to do virtually the same modes.
    en_o5HQ89U2iF.png

I'm thinking with Cycling and Cathartic Reunion and Tormenting Voice among other things that this is going to be a very powerful, undercosted beater. It almost seems to me like a more reliable version of Thing.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,597 mod
    (Yeah, the white version of Parallel Lives might bring back the Green-White token deck, especially if Felidar Guardian gets banned like it should. Not that I can really get excited for that since it's just more of the Gideon show with Nissa on the side even though Gideon should have been banned when Reflector Mage got kneecapped. Whee.

Also, Enigma Drake is basically a slightly better version of Spellheart Chimera. Not "strictly" better since it lacks trample (and isn't a chimera), but it's at least out of bolt range and slightly hard to kill because of it. [/in before Fatal Push])

@BIG BAD MOG - One part of the reason these planeswalkers feel boring is just because of how rapidly back-to-back they have been shilling the same planeswalkers due to this Gatewatch idiocy. Come Amonkhet, I think we will have the first Standard where we have at least three-plus versions of the same planeswalker and, to make matters worse, that applies for at least four of them, with Nissa being the worst offender since she will have at least four versions in Standard. Amusingly, as much as everyone hates Jace, myself included, he's ironically the least annoying about this right now since he still only has one iteration at present unless I'm forgetting something besides the barely played Unraveler of Secrets.

Another part of the reason they feel boring is a further lose-lose on WotC's part: if they keep using the same planeswalkers ad infinitium, then they have to basically use at least one or two similar abilities on them to help craft an identity. So Gideon always turns into some indestructible human creature and apparently specializes in overpowered shit, Nissa always interacts with lands in some capacity, Chandra burns stuff, Liliana falls deeper ever into necrophiliamancy, etcerta etcerta. If WotC doesn't do those things, then people will kvetch that the planeswalker in question doesn't feel like that particular planeswalker and, perhaps worse, is starting to heavily intrude on the space of another planeswalker that could have seen printing instead. So they're damned if they do, damned if they don't here.

That said, the main part of reason they feel boring is because planeswalkers are basically in every heavily played (read: readily viable) deck in Standard at present given how same-y and midranged things have devolved into even with three bans that had occurred last December given how pushed at least the Gatewatch planeswalkers have tended to be as late; MTGGoldfish's "Facewalkers" article goes into this somewhat: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-face-walker-problem.

Mardu Vehicles abuses Gideon and Chandra and sometimes, if it's feeling generous, Ob Nixilis. Felidar Copycat sees Saheeli being playable solely due to Skullclamp-levels of incompetence and lack of playtesting when it comes to same-block two-card interaction and she gets to bring her superfriends with her as back-up on top of that due to Oath of Nissa saying "fuck you, colored mana screw". BGx decks have to whore themselves out to Liliana since she's their last hope when groveling to Nissa for counters in the face of the aforementioned two decks. And so on and so on. About the only heavily played deck that doesn't regularly play planeswalkers in a mandatory way is the Temur Dynavolt Tower deck and its variations at present and I've of course seen planeswalkers in that, if only seemingly as a one-ofs just because of the sheer advantage they bring in part due to the lack of answers to them, which is another part of the problem.

Amonkhet is thankfully changing some of this--while giving us a possibly even dumber Gideon, sigh--by printing actual answers, but it's going to take a while catch back to the dearth that WotC intentionally has inflicted on Standard and, frankly, the game as a whole given how long planeswalkers as a type have been around. [/already writing essays after being back for less than a day]
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Push won't do it without Revolt. I'm thinking it will be best in a deck with all spells as well minus manlands, for example,

4 Shock

4 Censor
    4 Tormenting Voice
    4 Cathartic Reunion
    4 Incendiary Flow

4 Fiery Temper
    4 Sweltering Suns
    4 Insult to Injury

4 Enigma Drake

20 land + 4 fumerole.

Basically, cycle cards, get massive beater, throw burn spells at face. Has some light counters and boardwipes as it can cycle them and they benefit the drake.
    edited April 14
    (It's pretty easy to get Revolt though, but yeah, it's not as stupid easy in Standard as it is basically every other format due to fetchlands being in literally almost every deck. Regardless, I'm not saying Engima Drake is bad. I was just pointing out it's basically Spellheart Chimera that traded trample for +0/+1 instead of being as directly comparable to Thing in the Ice though I can see why you made that comparison.)

Hmm...looks like a pretty decent beginning frame, though I am not sure I would maindeck Sweltering Suns, especially in a deck that isn't (exactly) control, especially over Collective Defiance even as much as Chandra, the Flamescluptor's printing fucked over that card. I could maybe see it as two-of, but four-of Sweltering Suns seems like pushing it, even with cycling. Speaking of which, I feel like it needs more consistent outlet for discard in permanent form, but like the only decent ones I see that would work in the deck are Hazoret, who is a bit too expensive on that front, and Geier Reach Sanitarium, eats in the color of your lands. I guess Key to the City could also count, especially since it makes Enigma Drake unblockable and you can discard cards to it even without creatures on board. That type of deck could maybe even get away with playing that janky Pieces of the Puzzle card or perhaps Ride from the Tide as back-up. Shrug.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    The Discard is Cathartic Reunion and Tormenting Voice and you won't race shit like Poisonous Infect or Vehicles without the boardwipes. You can always discard them with Tormenting Voice or Cathartic Reunion if they're irrelevant as well.
    Seems like flameblade adept and cryptic serpent should probably be in there somewhere too.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,610 mod
    Man, I'm looking at the Amonkhet spoilers and all I can think of is "man, fuck this game."

the set doesn't feel that exciting. Kind of like they went through the motions of doing an egyptian set with no flare added.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    (Huh. A lot of the commons that got spoiled today are quite good, especially that common Curse.)

I am curious what you would consider "flair". I can understand not being impressive, especially if you're being cynical about WotC just screwing up hard in Hour of Revelation, but I have to ask this question: do you honestly not consider this set an overall improvement over basically every other post-Magic Origins set thus far, horrible-looking masterpieces and pushed planeswalkers (read: Gideon) aside?

The Discard is Cathartic Reunion and Tormenting Voice and you won't race shit like Poisonous Infect or Vehicles without the boardwipes. You can always discard them with Tormenting Voice or Cathartic Reunion if they're irrelevant as well.

Oh, I agree. I just don't think that Sweltering Suns should be maindecked as 4-of in most Standard present metagames, especially when it doesn't hit the Vehicles themselves, just most of the non-Gideon pilots. Granted, that's not insignificant, but it's part of why Sorcery speed removal has been especially suspect ever since Kaladesh dropped.

Also I know what the discard cards out. I was just saying that it would be nice if there was a permanent you could use to discard things as well is all even though you only have only one madness card. There really isn't one outside, of all things, Mad Prophet and the aforementioned Key to the City ever since Smuggler's Copter got banned, but Smuggler's Copter did need to go, so it's an acceptable sacrifice.

Anyway, I mainly just find it a bit suspect since that version of the deck seems to a bit two reliant upon Enigma Drake living to win. Last night/this morning I saw someone else obviously trying to build around it with a more creature-heavy build. I do not necessarily agree with it, especially since it's obviously limiting itself by budget to a degree, but I'll just post it anyway since we're talking about Enigma Drake: https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php?topic=28432.msg72348;topicseen#new.

Creatures (16):

3 Flameblade Adept (1)
    4 Enigma Drake (3)
    3 Scribe of the Mindful (3)
    2 Curator of Mysteries (4)
    3 Mad Prophet (4)
    1 Cryptic Serpent (7)

Spells (20):

2 Heaven // Earth (1 // 2)
    2 Fling (2)
    4 Cut // Ribbons (2 // 2)
    4 Reduce // Rubble (3 // 3)
    3 Insult // Injury (3 // 3)
    2 Sweltering Suns (3)
    2 Deem Worthy (5)

Lands (24):

4 Painted Bluffs
    8 Island
    10 Mountain
    2 Evolving Wilds

Again, shrug.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    What's everyone's take on Bone Picker? People are comparing it to delver, but in a way I DARE to say it might be better than delver at the moment.

-Is always a 3/2
    -Even top decked it can serve as a stabilizer or finisher due to flying and deathtouch
    -Actually dies to less removal than delver (abrupt decay, non revolt fatal push, doomblade, etc
    -Doesn't require your deck to have an emphasis on having greater instants/sorceries than other spells

I like it and think I'll pick up a playset even if it never takes off. Printed at uncommon is good as long as people don't hype train it up.
    edited April 15
    I think it's not going to be better than delver because if morbid was so easy to acheive tragic slip would be seeing path levels of play in modern but it still looks very good and I've ordered a playset.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    This is not my Deck, but I had to share it

It's a Opps all Gideon, Gideon "Tribal" Deck
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/611955#online

Deck List
    Creatures (8)
    4 Gideon's Lawkeeper W
    4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros W

Planeswalkers (12)
    4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar 2ww
    4 Gideon, Champion of Justice 2ww
    4 Gideon Jura 3ww

Spells (4)
    4 Gideon's Reproach 1w
    Enchantments (4)
    4 Oath of Gideon 2w

Others (8)
    4 Gideon of the Trials 1ww
    4 Gideon, Martial Paragon 4w

Lands (24)
    24 Plains

60 Cards Total
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,247
    What's everyone's take on Bone Picker? People are comparing it to delver, but in a way I DARE to say it might be better than delver at the moment.

-Is always a 3/2
    -Even top decked it can serve as a stabilizer or finisher due to flying and deathtouch
    -Actually dies to less removal than delver (abrupt decay, non revolt fatal push, doomblade, etc
    -Doesn't require your deck to have an emphasis on having greater instants/sorceries than other spells

I like it and think I'll pick up a playset even if it never takes off. Printed at uncommon is good as long as people don't hype train it up.

I think card is a trap, not even close to delver.

First, you will almost never gonna be playing it on t1. The power of delver lies in the fact that you can attack with a 3/2 flier on t2, which is bonkers.
    Second, in order to flip delver, you only have to play a bunch of instants & sorceries, and there are a lot of good i&s. In order to play Bone picker at discounted price, you need to build an engine, which is slower, requires situational cards, and if you are building a sacrifice engine, don't you have anything better to do with it than casting a 3/2 flying deathtouch ?

Nah its like a morbid trigger so removing an opponent's creature or trading will let you play it for 1 too.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    What about that black card that states, pay 1 generic/colorless mana if a card has been discarded; target opponent loses 2 life and you gain two life. Do this with 4 said cards and pay 4 mana to have player lose 8 life and you gain 8 life. Sweet part is that you can do this during your endstep, by discarded from 8 cards in hand to 7.
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,366
    Using removal on my turn then playing the creature sounds janky. My opponent having to play a creatures in their deck to not have a dead 4-of. I'll pass.
    My discord didn't work out, quick say something funny so I can add you in the sig!
    edited April 16
    A cool little use for that card in standard might be T1 Hope of Ghirapur, T2 swing with Hope, sacrifice, play Bone Picker and another good 1 drop. Could be a good tempo play if they're trying to cast a planeswalker on turn 3 and you're on the draw. If they Fatal Push the Hope before combat damage you still get your Bone Picker and you're still at a decent advantage.
    You can drop an expedition map, use it to trigger revolt and drop a 4/3 turn 2 as it is.
    Bone Picker might work in a theoretical mono black deck loaded with stuff like Grasp, Push and Kalitas with the new 2cmc non-flying Nighthawk. You could use the black god to trigger Morbid and maybe some recurring creature or value when dies kind of creature.
    edited April 16
    Also couldn't you technically play Hangarback Walker or Walking Ballista for 0, then drop this guy T1? And this guy is easily better than Greenwheel liberator coming in with revolt IMO.
    Post edited by NeoBlood on
    He's better but Revolt is easier to trigger because of Evolving Wilds etc. And easier to build a deck around if you wanted to go down that path of situational value
    What about that black card that states, pay 1 generic/colorless mana if a card has been discarded; target opponent loses 2 life and you gain two life. Do this with 4 said cards and pay 4 mana to have player lose 8 life and you gain 8 life. Sweet part is that you can do this during your endstep, by discarded from 8 cards in hand to 7.

Found it. Also, I didn't know that a creature with "indestructible" can still die when it's toughness reaches 0 by placing -1/-1 counters on it...

This card is pretty nice:

en_dcXyW81Veq.png

Most of these cards in Amonkhet are pretty nice across all of the colors. Has that Vintage feel, that 1990s era Magic!

This set might as well be called:

Magic The Marveling

Significantly worse in many ways. Delver was good because it came down on turn one and was enabled by doing something that was already good - having many spells in your deck at a time when spells outclassed creatures by a wide margin. It was also blue, which meant it had access to tempo-positive ways to keep the lead until it won the game.

Bone Picker is a marginally better creature but it is much less likely to come down turn one and the condition to trigger it is bad for you. It might still end up being a very good card, but it's far worse than something like Delver.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,610 mod
    snip

Has that Onslaught feel of magic maybe. Might as well bring back astral slide; too bad it doesn't have the wording WoTC likes.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.