Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,483
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    Well, this raises the question what is a "fair deck", especially in older formats.

Fair/unfair is not a black and white thing. All decks exist along an axis of fairness, with midrange decks on one end (most fair) and fast combo on the other (least fair). Generally fairness is measured by how much you interact with your opponent's cards.

Regardless of how you draw the line, however, ramp decks (whether they ramp with rituals, lands or "cheat" cards) will always fall along the more extremely unfair side of the equation. This is because of they must compensate for their decks essentially being full of "do nothings". As such, their actual business spells must be horribly unfair or the deck will not be structurally sound.

Now there are ramp targets, like Primeval Titan, that can also work in fair decks. I like these cards. Then again there are targets like Omniscience that will never realistically have fair applications. Those I find a bit offensive.
    But my point was that decks like Tron and 12 post aims to hardcast Emrakul, playing it in a fair way, not cheating it into play, regardless if the deck itself is considered fair or not.

My point is that "cheating" a big spell into play is not a matter of hardcasting or not. It doesn't matter how you get your big spell into play. What matters is when you do it.

This goes back to your earlier point, in a broad sense, that the spells players ramp to are not the unfair thing. It's the ramp that is unfair. It's not Karn that is unfair. It's turn three Karn that is unfair. It's Tron allowing turn three Karn that is unfair. It's not Emrakul that is unfair. It's whatever allows you to put Emrakul into play in a timely manner that is unfair.

That said, Emrakul's design is such that it could never go into a fair deck. The cost is just too high. It's bad like Simian Spirit Guide is bad. The card could, in theory, be played fairly. Practically speaking though the only decks that would ever run it are unfair decks.
    The difference between Tron/12 post and Breach/ show and tell is that Tron is hardcasting Emrakul earliest on turn 6 (unlikely)/ 12 post on t5, while Breach aims for a t4 Emrakul regularly (t2 for show and tell).

If your point is that Tron/12-Post are more fair than Sneak and Show, then I agree. But that doesn't make Tron fair any more than the existence of Belcher makes Storm fair.
    I don't know if there ever been a deck that intended to hardcast Grislebrand.

Here ya go:
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5568&d=232227&f=ST
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,267
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    Fair/unfair is not a black and white thing. All decks exist along an axis of fairness, with midrange decks on one end (most fair) and fast combo on the other (least fair). Generally fairness is measured by how much you interact with your opponent's cards.

Interesting point.
    Ever since PV used the catchphrase "linear non interactive strategies" in an article a year or so ago, it was used since then to make a distinction between modern decks, the "good guys" being the interactive strategies, while the bad ones the linear, non interactive ones. This is a common complain regarding modern, that the meta is full of linear strat., you can't prepare for all of them, and so this leads to a russian rulette, where you hope to play against the decks you prepared for and to dodge the rest.

What bugged me about this is that nobody cared to actually define what exactly is a linear non interactive strategy, and a lot of confusion comes from this.
    For example, let's take your definition regarding fairness (how much you interact): Tron usually plays 4 pyroclasms, 4 oblivion stone and 1~4 relics. This means Tron plays around 10+ spells that interacts with your opponent. So why would Tron be regarded as a non interactive strategy ? How many interactive spells you need to play before you are an interactive deck ? What's the threshold ?
    By comparisson, from my knowledge Zoo decks play 4 path and 4 bolts (some decks even skips on paths) as interactive spells, so by this definition, Zoo is more uninteractive (and less fair) than Tron is. Same thing for Merfolk. Funny, since a deck like Affinitty is alwasy considered part of the "linear non interactive group" (bad guy), but never Zoo or Merfolk, even though all 3 lacks meaningfull interaction and are highly focused strategies.

Not disagreeing with your definition, it just reminded me of many articles that touches this subject

• FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,306
    There is a Legacy weekend coming up with Eternal Masters release. There are going to be drafts and a constructed Legacy tournament. I'm tempted to go. I've got a Legacy deck assembled,

Warning, this deck doesn't even attempt to play fair magic,
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Thoughtseize

4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Snapcaster Mage
    4x Hymn to Tourach

4x True-name Nemesis

4x Force of Will

1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Batterskull

It's not a combo deck but not a single thing about that deck is fair.
    edited May 2016
    Well Frosty, it seems like a good time to play BUG. Guess what is reprinted ? Shardless agent. And Baleful strix, and hymn to tourach.

Oh, but this is just getting started. KARAKAS is reprinted !!!!!! and Sensei's divining top !!!!!!! And Cabal Therapy !! and a TON of other sweet stuff. Wirewood symbiote, regal force, sylvan library, enlightened tutor. And of course, Jace.

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,396
    Yup, this is pretty good. Even the commons/uncommons are good here. Chain Lightning is also reprinted, whee~~

I'm probably buying into the cards I lack for Legacy DnT when I get the cash.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 2,037
    edited May 2016
    Naeras wrote: »
    I'm probably buying into the cards I lack for Legacy DnT when I get the cash.

If you lack Port buy it NOW... Do not wait... This is going to be the ONE major flaw of this set as they chose to make Karakas and WL over PORT. Its already the most costly card on MODO and this will boost its paper value as well. While it a slim possibility still its in the set I got word its not going to be from a guy who knows a guy. I guessed Karakas and was wrong.

But this is the time to get into Legacy fellas and you need to do it NOW all of you considering it. This is the calm before prices spike back up shortly after release. Like this isn't modern where a ban will fuck the value and the more people that get into the format the more the need is boosted. I would buy ANY reserved things now for sure. But this set looks like a fucking Cube and that means it is awesome. I am impressed on just how many cards they are printing, It looks like its going to be the best cards that are not on reserved list and this is what Legacy needed. Like right now Manaless Dredge and Burn are going to be absurdly cheapish (assuming they print guide at rare)

EDIT: on a side note I really hope the new chrome mox is a equal or less to the old one, I love that new picture so much more. Also need 4 of the new therapys as I like that art better but not foil as it was. Also the new daze is fucking sick and should still reach nice bucks foil.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 2,037
    Oh and it looks like they are either going to abolish Legacy or Modern. The no reserve list format will either kill Legacy or Modern. I know if they kill Legacy than I am out of this game 100%. Selling out within minutes of that kinda of announcement. Infact this would only make this set stupid and pointless.
    What bugged me about this is that nobody cared to actually define what exactly is a linear non interactive strategy, and a lot of confusion comes from this.

I think this is because, like I said before, there is no strict line in the sand that you can point to and say "if you cross this line you go from a fair deck to an unfair deck". It's relatively easy, however, to compare two decks and determine which one is more unfair than the other.
    For example, let's take your definition regarding fairness (how much you interact): Tron usually plays 4 pyroclasms, 4 oblivion stone and 1~4 relics. This means Tron plays around 10+ spells that interacts with your opponent. So why would Tron be regarded as a non interactive strategy ?

Because the Pyroclasms, O-Stones and Relics are not the "strategy" of Tron. They are the "disruption", allowing Tron to not insta-lose to even more linear and unfair decks. Pyroclasm in Tron is not the same as Pyroclasm in Grixis Control, just as Thoughtseize in Storm is not the same as Thoughtseize in Jund.

The fact that Tron can sweep a board of goblins using Pyroclasm doesn't make it an interactive strategy any more than the fact that UR Delver can counter spells with Mana Leak makes it a control deck.
    Zoo decks play 4 path and 4 bolts (some decks even skips on paths) as interactive spells, so by this definition, Zoo is more uninteractive (and less fair) than Tron is.

Zoo is also a linear, uninteractive strategy. That's why it can exist in Modern. It's an unfair deck. But "cheating out a 3/3 on turn one" is less unfair than "cheating out a Karn on turn 3".
    Same thing for Merfolk. Funny, since a deck like Affinitty is alwasy considered part of the "linear non interactive group" (bad guy), but never Zoo or Merfolk, even though all 3 lacks meaningfull interaction and are highly focused strategies.

Zoo and Merfolk have always been linear and uninteractive. They just look fair because Modern and Legacy have so many strategies that are even more unfair. It's like how during the time Eldrazi were tearing up Modern, Affinity was one of the "good guys" because, compared to Eldrazi, it was extremely interactive.
    a TON of other sweet stuff

I am excited for this set mostly because Wirewood Symbiote was the last non-Japanese language card in my Vintage Elf Combo deck. Now I can get it for pennies.
    BR3N7 wrote: »
    Oh and it looks like they are either going to abolish Legacy or Modern. The no reserve list format will either kill Legacy or Modern. I know if they kill Legacy than I am out of this game 100%. Selling out within minutes of that kinda of announcement. Infact this would only make this set stupid and pointless.

No reserve list is new Legacy. It's going to be Legacy minus the cards they can't reprint in Eternal Masters sets. The only format containing reserve list cards will be vintage. There is talk Modern might ban 8th and 9th core sets eventually which would remove certain things like Tron lands, Blood Moon, Choke, Boil etc. but it's unlikely it will happen any time soon.

Modern as a format is continuing, business as usual, the dust is definitely still settling post-Twin + Eldrazi so there is a lot of room in the format to move right now. There was talk that they might unban Splinter Twin but ban Deceiver Exarch. Twin could work with Bounding Krasis, Pestermite and Kiki-Jiki but the thing about all of those is that they're Bolt targets.
    On the other topic, Zoo is a perfectly fine deck because it's full of removal targets and spot removal is very common in Modern. That's largely what makes Affinity not bannable. Any deck, no matter how fast, that dies to Bolt will be fine in Modern. Zoo is largely a meta deck as it runs into a lot of issues with common decks like Jund.

Tron has a number of very glaring achilles heels. Pyroclasm can be beat by a number of things like Spell Snare in Geist lists or Burrenton Forge-Tender and it's really the only thing that keeps Tron in the game vs. aggro as Tron is essentially a Control deck. Tron's main weakness is land destruction and things that disrupt mana bases like Blood Moon, that stuff hits Tron harder than any deck and while Modern doesn't have Wasteland, Tron doesn't enjoy mainboard Ghost Quarters very much. Merfolk has a good match vs. Tron as the deck is fast, gets outside of Pyroclasm range easily and can disrupt the mana mainboard with Spreading Seas. Another issue Tron has is artifact hate like Stony Silence. In saying all that, Tron has a lot of very good matches, some decks like BW Souls which do incredibly well vs. other decks in the format like Jund practically fold against it. That's just Magic though.

Modern as a format is full of aggro which hurts certain types of Control but it's also creates room for a lot of reactive decks that want to just remove what you play and drop their own bombs like Tasigur and Goyf. Having to account for stuff like Burn, Infect, Tron and Affinity gives Modern a gauntlet. Midrange like Jund/Abzan are very good in Modern. Prison decks like Lantern and Enchantment tend to work well as well. Everything is currently beatable and the best deck depends on the field.
    FrostyAU wrote: »

No reserve list is new Legacy. It's going to be Legacy minus the cards they can't reprint in Eternal Masters sets. The only format containing reserve list cards will be vintage. There is talk Modern might ban 8th and 9th core sets eventually which would remove certain things like Tron lands, Blood Moon, Choke, Boil etc. but it's unlikely it will happen any time soon.

Modern as a format is continuing, business as usual, the dust is definitely still settling post-Twin + Eldrazi so there is a lot of room in the format to move right now. There was talk that they might unban Splinter Twin but ban Deceiver Exarch. Twin could work with Bounding Krasis, Pestermite and Kiki-Jiki but the thing about all of those is that they're Bolt targets.

Well its all speculation , but all the shock blue lands went up 20% overnight. I just bought sets of some to hedge my bet.
    Well Frosty, it seems like a good time to play BUG. Guess what is reprinted ? Shardless agent. And Baleful strix, and hymn to tourach.

Oh, but this is just getting started. KARAKAS is reprinted !!!!!! and Sensei's divining top !!!!!!! And Cabal Therapy !! and a TON of other sweet stuff. Wirewood symbiote, regal force, sylvan library, enlightened tutor. And of course, Jace.

BUG is fun. It's as fair as Legacy gets while still being playable. What did you think of the list I posted in spoilers above? It's pretty cheap but it still plays Magic.
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,426
    RUG looks a lot better versus combo and that damn miracles deck though.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    BUG is fun. It's as fair as Legacy gets while still being playable. What did you think of the list I posted in spoilers above? It's pretty cheap but it still plays Magic.

To be honest I don't have much legacy experience so I can't comment a lot but I like it, just solid, good cards. I'm also considering a Sultai deck for legacy - Food Griffin. Fairly similar with your list but with a combo touch. Very fun, and pretty cheap.

Speaking of legacy, I just discovered Nic Fit - a deck that plays birthing pod and a lot of creatures !!. In legacy. It seems really interesting. Also, GSZ is spoiled for EM, weee.

Boy, I'm excited for EM/ legacy. There is a legacy GP in europe this summer, I might attend it.

To be honest I don't have much legacy experience so I can't comment a lot but I like it, just solid, good cards. I'm also considering a Sultai deck for legacy - Food Griffin. Fairly similar with your list but with a combo touch. Very fun, and pretty cheap.

Speaking of legacy, I just discovered Nic Fit - a deck that plays birthing pod and a lot of creatures !!. In legacy. It seems really interesting. Also, GSZ is spoiled for EM, weee.

Boy, I'm excited for EM/ legacy. There is a legacy GP in europe this summer, I might attend it.

I have a little Legacy experience but a lot is outdated due to Conspiracy etc.
    It's Official - NO NEW FORMAT or removal of formats. Once I saw sinkhole I knew this was the outcome. That would of been worse than just reprinting the Reserved Cards.

And this set just keeps getting better and better and better and better. I will be drafting live a lot for sure. Hopefully this brings more people to the best format in Magic.
  • HollowbladeHollowblade Joined: Posts: 1,594
    It's Official - NO NEW FORMAT or removal of formats. Once I saw sinkhole I knew this was the outcome. That would of been worse than just reprinting the Reserved Cards.

And this set just keeps getting better and better and better and better. I will be drafting live a lot for sure. Hopefully this brings more people to the best format in Magic.
    what will stores be selling the packs at? I can only imagine 20-25$ usd.. 30$ cad for a pack is a instant pass for me.. 100$ drafts.. Gtfo.

• BIG BAD MOGBIG BAD MOG Tough, yet Fluffy Joined: Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    MSRP said $9.99 so looks like the same as MM.
    Speaking of legacy, I just discovered Nic Fit - a deck that plays birthing pod and a lot of creatures !!.

Nic Fit is my favorite Legacy deck to borrow. It's a lot of fun.
    edited May 2016

what will stores be selling the packs at? I can only imagine 20-25$ usd.. 30$ cad for a pack is a instant pass for me.. 100$ drafts.. Gtfo.

Obviously depends on EV but given its damn near 100 cards in and the EV is off the charts. Just depends on how bad the filler Rares and Mythics are really. Not like I am gonna do to many but maybe 2-5 depending on EV and winning etc.. For sure on MODO.

This reminds me so much of VMA on modo and like Legacy cubes. So fucking fun looking to draft with upside to spike a nice prize card.

I am truly impressed by WOTC and the like of Adam Prosack for this set, Only card I DONT want to see unless MYTHIC is Infernal Tutor.
    I like how the commons and uncommons are actually pretty nice. Even if you don't hit that rare you are hoping to get for cheap, people can always use lightning bolts, dazes, and hymn to tourachs. I can understand why Shardless Agent is considered rare-worthy, but it looks hilarious to see a a rare in all of its glory with just the word "CASCADE" in the text box.

It's funny, I never played siege Rhinos in standard, not Birthing pod in modern, but I might do it in legacy. These Nic Fit decks seems super fun. I find 2 variants, one with Pod and one podless. Who ever said you can't play creature decks in legacy ?
    Also, Nic fit seems fairly ok prize wise

• odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

It's funny, I never played siege Rhinos in standard, not Birthing pod in modern, but I might do it in legacy. These Nic Fit decks seems super fun. I find 2 variants, one with Pod and one podless. Who ever said you can't play creature decks in legacy ?
    Also, Nic fit seems fairly ok prize wise

Your sig picture doesn't work anymore. Just a heads up.
    I feel like mulliganing is a skill that you will never get good at regardless of how much time you put into a deck. Went to a LGS in PA and went 2-2 through some funny stuff. I tried to assess my play vs my deck composition since I didn't know the meta. Here is what happened.

Match 1 vs Infect
    Game 1: This was something that was REALLY funny for me. I was shuffling up and looking at my opponent when I noticed a tarmogoyf dice. I figured "Oh he must be playing BG/x". I keep a slow and grindy hand and then he drops t1 glistener elf. I was a little annoyed but at the same time I have zero reason to complain since I was operating on an assumption. I get blown up.
    Game 2: Now that I knew I was going up against infect I mulliganed to a hand that had more emphasis on chumping/removal as opposed to tempo/discard. Clean win.
    Game 3: I wasn't sure of mulliganing after drawing to 6 and having nothing but removal and discard. I figured I could grind against him long enough to draw something. I wasn't able to draw a flyer and he had 3 blinkmoths.

We both laughed about the tarmogoyf dice and he later explained it was for proxy testing as he does not have a goyf deck at all.

Match 2 vs Nahiri Control
    Game 1: It was neck to neck and I was debating if I should kill off his colonnade with slaughter pact and wait for a following turn to throw down avacyn. I was worried about getting countered, but it turns out his hand was full of burn spells instead. He burned me out.
    Game 2: I was feeling salty with my bad start in the FNM so I kept a hand full of spellstutter sprites and a snapcaster. I actually drew the bitterblossom and proceeded to just counter, counter, counter, snap counter, counter. Ran him over completely and he kept going "4 spellstutter sprites is such bullshit..."
    Game 3: Grinded again mainly because I had an early inquisition that revealed 3 Nahiris. I slam down a pithing needle and we grind for a while as I could not get anything to resolve. He eventually finds his engineering explosives but it's too late since I have avacyn to kill him and he has no way to kill her with his hand nor because of Nahiri's clause.

I really don't see the huge difference of incorporating Nahiri in RUW control decks but that's probably because it helps in non-control match-ups.

Match 3 vs Abzan Company
    Game 1: Tempo'd him out with discard, path and mistbind. Once I dropped Sorin he just scooped.
    Game 2: I mulliganed to get rest in peace but didn't have any creatures to drop. I cast cryptic command twice and still can't find a sweeper.
    Game 3: Literally the same as game 2.

I think I should have kept mulliganing as the deck didn't seem to have THAT much interaction besides path. Although rest in peace is great against finks and the combo, I find it rather lacking if I can't drop a BB or survive until I get Avacyn.

Match 4 vs Bogles
    Game 1: Makes a Jesus Bogle and I scoop almost instantly
    Game 2: He makes my spellskite Jesus because he has Kor Spirit Dancer. I have spellstutters in the ready and knew his plan. This game made me REALLY appreciate spellskite as a sideboard card that forces a deck to go into topdeck mode.
    Game 3: Since I wasn't doing well in the tournament I decided "Hey, instead of regretting these 6 hand keeps, let's mulligan to 5". I get nothing but discard, but guess what it turns out it's the reason that I won. I'm thoughtseizing and inquisitioning to get rid of auras in hand while also snapcast chumping to get rid of his scout that had totem armor. I would spellstutter his auras other than Daybreak because I knew he needed another aura otherwise it had no legal targets. I was getting low but eventually got rid of his coronets and flashed in Avacyn to take care of his remaining bogle.

So long story short, it seems that the initial starting hand is still tough to figure out since there are a ton of decks in modern. I had perfectly sculpted hands that drew into nothing or could not go up against what my opponent's hand. Likewise, I had really weird starting hands that just so happened to be enough to tempo my way to victory. I am HEAVILY debating going down to one mistbind to put in another Avacyn since I have yet to lose a game where she resolves. Mistbind is great on paper as it can turn off bitterblossom and tempo the opponent, but it is still way too easy to get 2-3 for 1 against myself. The absolute only deck that I have found it to work well against is tron. Burn has a million ways to make my plan go awry, CoCo can still coco or chord, control decks usually do draw-go anyway and other decks can work with just one mana to dump something strong. I'm still going to keep the current 2 Mistbinds as I am unsure what the meta will be like in Seattle.
    We need a reprint of crucible of worlds asap -.- that card is stupid expensive and i dont think it sees THAT much play..
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,061
    Is Stasis in the new set?
    We need a reprint of crucible of worlds asap -.- that card is stupid expensive and i dont think it sees THAT much play..

There are a lot of reprint cards that I feel WOTC could use as ways to drum up hype for potentially lackluster sets but I feel like crucible would be too hard to fit into flavor/standard for future sets especially with fetches not in the block. They would have to go back to land destruction which has never been fun for people.

Sees a lot of play in Commander. Same reason stuff like Avacyn is expensive
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,061
    I see, these masters sets replaced the core sets pretty much. Will Eternal Masters be Standard legal? If WotC makes Eternal Masters standard legal then will that get more people to join...
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,396
    They haven't replaced core sets, they're separate sets that have nothing to do with the standard rotation. They're there so Wizards can reprint cards that are integral to decks in eternal formats, without having said cards enter the standard pool and making a huge mess out of everything.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,781 mod
    (Yeah, Eternal Masters isn't going to be Standard legal. It's not even going to be Modern-legal on the whole. Similarly, Magic Origins technically is a core set more or less.)

Speaking of Eternal Masters, I'm surprised that it got spoiled in its entirety officially so quickly after the two-month gap of hearing nothing about it. I'm still mostly lukewarm about it, but I have to admit that quite a few of the reprints now feature really nice artwork even though they didn't have to recommission artists for any of them save for maybe the biggest draws, i.e. Force of Will. What surprises me most is that they redid the art on some of the "lowly" Commons that you think they would overall outright ignore as well, though I suppose in Mogg War Marshal's defense, that card always been quite good "despite" being a Common:

moggwarmarshal.jpg

memorylapse.jpg

sealofstrength.jpg

Speaking of Commons, some of the things that reprinted at Common surprised me, especially given that Cloud of Faeries got banned in Pauper earlier this year but someone thought it would be a good idea to reprint Pegerine Drake at Common:

peregrinedrake.jpg

Now I wonder if that's going to get banned from Pauper in short order, especially since it seems like the majority of the newly Common cards are in Blue as with Tidal Wave, though I did just notice that Yavimaya Enchantress is newly Common too. Hmm...I wonder: will an Enchantress type deck finally be usable in Pauper?
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse

Sees a lot of play in Commander. Same reason stuff like Avacyn is expensive
    Lol thats exactly why i want the reprint.. I have one sitting around that i got back in the day god knows where and for sure not at its current price lol but id like a second one. Magic is slowly becomig way to expensive even for my liking and the reasons are getting dumber and dumber. Luckily with commander i have a bunch of decks so i can keep playing but i love to build decks and im sure im far from the only one who thinks some cards are expensivefor very little to no reason.
    I feel like mulliganing is a skill that you will never get good at regardless of how much time you put into a deck.

You can get good at mulligans but it won't help you if you're unlucky. The issue here is that people mulligan and lose, then they think it was a "bad mulligan". But the thing you have to remember is that even the "good mulligans" are worse than a snap-keep. The free scry helps, but even with that in place you're potentially digging yourself into a hole when you mulligan. I don't remember the exact figures but I remember reading somewhere that based on MTGO data one mulligan puts you at 20% less chance to win, and two mulligans jumps to more than 40% less chance to win. Hymn to Tourach is one of the strongest cards in Legacy and two Mulligans gives your opponent a Hymn which costs him no mana or cards!

At the end of the day you just need to recognize that when you mull into a worse hand than you had before, you didn't turn a potential win into a loss. When you mull you are basically saying that your initial hand was already so bad you had virtually no chance of winning. You just mulled a losing hand into another losing hand. Tough luck, but you still made the right decision.
  • JuuMJuuM Danke where yo at Joined: Posts: 1,615
    edited May 2016
    @Peregrine Drake
    I expect the most successful version to be in Mono-Blue Tron, possibly a small splash for Pulse of Murasa. Lets you do all the card filtering with Tron-Mana instead of the clunky familiars.
    @BIG BAD MOG I aggressively mulligan at ALL times. It's always good to not keep hands that are guaranteed to lose unless you draw a perfect sequence of cards.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    I tailor my mulligans to a variety of factors, but basically I am more aggressive the less likely I feel I am to win the match-up. Like, I'll keep just about any combination of lands and spells when I am Tron going up against Jund or Affinity against Scapeshift (game 1) but I would mulligan looking for a nut draw with Burn against Bogles. I am also more likely to mulligan marginal hands when I feel I have not tested enough and need more luck to win.
    ^ Agreed. Another thing I feel is that mulliganing just to get a sideboard option in hand is usually garbage. Imo you either draw it or you don't. Unless your deck insta-loses versus your opponent with minimal turns, then it's maybe worth, but usually not.
    BullDancer wrote: »
    @BIG BAD MOG I aggressively mulligan at ALL times. It's always good to not keep hands that are guaranteed to lose unless you draw a perfect sequence of cards.

I tend to keep mediocre hands more often than not. My reasoning is that mulligan doesn't assure me of getting a better hand, but what it is sure is that I will be 1 card less. So, generally I keep any hand that is decent.

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,294
    For me it depends on the deck, straight aggro or control I'm just happy to be on curve, if it's something a bit more comboey though I'll generally be a bit more aggressive trying to get the most important piece or something that can find it.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    There are some match-ups that faeries can face without feeling pressed for certain sequences or SB cards but there are others where I feel absolutely helpless without my sideboard option. No matter how cool my initial hand may be, without spellskite vs something like infect or RIP vs GY decks I feel like I will lose.