Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,590 mod
    (At least Gideon's deck being the most dominant in Standard (again) fits the Gatewatch narrative that WotC keeps pushing. Can't have Standard being ruled by some Indian woman we aren't going to see again any time soon because she's not part of the Jacetice League. At all is right wrong in the world as it should be.)

More seriously, about fucking time. This should have happened Monday without question. Now all WotC has really done is also piss off the people who jumped on Saheeli Copycat in the two days it's been when they saw that it didn't get banned immediately (like it should have) and (foolishly) bought into it and threw away like...$200 apparently.

Great April Fool's joke or greatest April Fool's joke?

At this point, I have to wonder what will drop faster: Saheeli's price or people's goodwill towards the WotC? I want to say it's the latter, but it's already at an all-time low....

Man, I had forgotten what an absolutely horrible monster Itchy was.

Pertho wrote: »
    Preppy wrote: »

Shitty sets with a hilariously shitty combo because the shitty cards in it can't deal.

If the cards weren't so bad that deck wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Yeah. There really need to be better answers to planeswalkers in general, for starters.

That said, I still wonder what in specific you would fix besides that since you mentioned a lack of "flair" earlier when you commented on Amonkhet.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,569
    What's this banning of this card like in terms of let's say, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter:

Details.aspx?name=Felidar+Guardian

Is it like banning CPU version of MK1 Shang Tsung (if he were playable)

Is it like banning Guile's handcuffs and air throw/magic throw from World Warrior?
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,590 mod
    (...It's not really like either of those things.)

The card, while obnoxiously good, isn't a problem by itself. It's only really even a problem at all because they let it bounce Planeswalkers (for some reason)...despite it being in the same goddamn block as a planeswalker whose ability allows her to makes a copy of any creature. That WotC somehow missed this in testing just show how incompetent it is. It's inevitable that they miss things, but god damns, almost everyone saw that in advance and the Saheeli is one of the faces of the entire block.

So I guess...Guile's magic handcuffs if you absolutely have to force a comparison since that combo should have never existed in the first place, especially so easily given it wasn't even esoteric.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,170
    I don't think comparisons between bannings in TCGs and fighting games are worth much.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    WotC is really fucking up lol. Hey guys, WotC here letting you know that Copy Cat is all good for standard! Psyche!

But hey they needed "more information" about a combo that requires almost every other deck in standard to try and play around it specifically. Like there's answers out there, but are any of those answers REALLY good enough to be in a deck that isn't trying to survive against the combo?
    (Yeah, WotC's "testing" reason is clearly bullshit given two whole days doesn't prove much and they already admitted it was a mistake that should haven't been in Standard months ago, which is when they should have banned if they still made the mistake of letting it hit Standard in the first place. Then it might be Mardu Vehicles getting its wings clipped like it arguably still needs.)

None of the "old" answers were maindeckable to fight Saheeli Rai outside of Thalia 2.0, who died to every piece of removal imaginable including Shock, and Shock itself, which only worked if Saheeli using her second ability brought her down to 1 or 2. Everything was purely a sideboard card that you still had to actually draw to not die to its bullshit. It looked to be much the same for every new answer from Amonkhet save for Cast Out and maybe Manglehorn, but of course it's too early to tell and yet simultaneously too late unless those same answers show up to fight the attempts to use Saheeli Copycat in Modern, which frankly has far better answers anyway.

*looks at Sickness in the Ranks as an example of some of the milder better answers*

Naeras wrote: »
    I don't think comparisons between bannings in TCGs and fighting games are worth much.

It's not. I know that, Naeras. I'm just saying that if you had to force the comparison for whatever reason, then that really is what it's most akin to even though it's just as much Saheeli Rai's fault as it is Felidar Guardian's fault. It's just that we all know they aren't ever banning a Planeswalker again from Standard at this point even if they really should. *cough*Gideon*cough*

Which is a shame, really, because while I do think Saheeli Rai is still usable in Standard despite being a nobody beforehand, I'm pretty sure that Cat Tribal was made with Felidar Guardian in mind and it could have been a fun Tier 2(.5) deck in Standard if Felidar Guardian had gotten to stick around while Saheeli got banned. Just being able to flicker Oath of Ajani and Regal Caracal seems like it would have been rather good. Oh well.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    That Planeswalker Platinum Gideon is top tier
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,867 admin
    We had a woman from NWInsights at our FNM tonight polling players about things. URL is https://nwinsights.com/signup/magic/ fwiw.

At the other big LGS, they're contemplating dropping FNM Standard in favor of FNM Draft depending upon how the next couple Standard tournaments go. Seems like the post-core-set world order is perhaps a little too sucky for Standard. Draft tonight was huge, though.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,934
    So apparently mono black aggro is recking face at SCG standard this weekend, turns out swinging for 3 in the air on turn 3 then dropping a Distended Mindbender is kind of good.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 30
    I knew that damn card was gonna be bonkers. I was either wanting to brew mono black aggro or mono black with artifacts but I haven't picked up any Amonkhet cards yet. I somehow got sucked back into Rocket League lol.
    I'm sticking the package into my Aetherborn deck, it's already got a solid creature package with Nightwalk, Vengeful Rebel, Gonti and Midnight Entourage and this should hopefully push it over.

Also got some red in there so bolt and neonate can help turn on the Bone Picker.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,593
    Iduno wrote: »
    So apparently mono black aggro is recking face at SCG standard this weekend, turns out swinging for 3 in the air on turn 3 then dropping a Distended Mindbender is kind of good.

Mono Black Zombies is proving nutty as well. Half the problem is that it's an aggro meta and Black has all the decent removal.
    You know I just really can't find a deck I want to play this Standard rotation. Part of the issue is bad removal outside of Black. Every deck I brew ends up having Black in it.
    (Ha. Felidar Guardian still isn't updated as banned in Gatherer as of yet. The mockery continues.)

The Good: So that MtG: Online account I made but never actually used both still works and was "updated" with the newest cards for free given I had never logged in before (given that I literally couldn't on my old desktop). So it's nice to know that I do not have to pay again.

The Bad: I am going to have erase a decent amount of things to be able to play it smoothly on here, though that's not surprising given what little space I have, which is why I need to do that anyway. Also, in less than 2 minutes, SaffronOlive's newest Budget deck over on MTGGoldfish is going to cause at least one or two new cards to spike. Whee.

The Ugly: Why the fuck are the dinky intro planeswalker deck-only cards so expensive online? I can't even make a cheap janky Cat Tribal deck I wanted to make mostly for jokes because Ajani, Valiant Protector, of all things is $5.00 worth of ticket per copy. The fuck.

FrostyAU wrote: »
    You know I just really can't find a deck I want to play this Standard rotation. Part of the issue is bad removal outside of Black. Every deck I brew ends up having Black in it.

Two questions:

1. Can you please define "good removal" then and why the other colors supposedly don't have it in Standard right even they could admittedly be better (though so arguably could Black still)?
    2. Are you honestly surprised that Black has the best removal given that's how things "should" be?

Also, maybe play some type of U/R Counterburn deck? I mean...you already have a majority of the cards that would be good in one given that mono-Blue deck you've posted twice, especially if you already have Torrential Gearhulks.

Shrug.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Vehicles make non-Instant speed removal bad and the instant speed removal misses key targets. So many relevant threats have 3 toughness which makes Shock no good and Harnessed Lightning can't kill Heart of Kiran without additional energy. It's just a format that STRONGLY favours aggro decks and I'm someone that likes to play Control. All-in aggressive strategies are the only relevant way to play Standard right now. You're either playing a Ballista deck or you're playing Mardu Aggro. These new cards wont drastically change that and now that Cat is banned all that will happen is there will be more stompy decks about.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,588 mod
    Friend's store is gonna let me do FG fnms at their store. Got so happy at the news that I bought five packs. Cracked:

Nissa, Archfiend of Ifnir, Commit//Memory, Canyon slough, Plague Belcher, Dusk//Dawn foil.

Looking through the cards though, I'm really happy not playing. Can't explain it is like yeah, i'm not doing that and it feels kinda great.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Draft is fun. Standard is only fun if you're willing to accept that aggro rules and Black is by far the strongest colour.

edited May 4
    I did write a typical deck (by my standards) that I'll play till rotation though.

4 Censor
    4 Immolating Glare
    3 Anticipate

4 Stasis Snare
    2 Disallow
    4 Void Shatter

4 Glimmer of Genius

3 Avacyn
    2 Fumigate

4 Torrential Gearhulk

4 Port Town
    4 Prairie Stream
    4 Irrigated Farmland
    7 Plains
    7 Island

I could probably juice up the mana a little but it's super consistent as is being two colour and loaded with Plains and Islands for Port/Stream
    edited May 5
    Should they bring back a reboot core set? A little from Beta, Legends, Mirage, Mirrodin, and Zendikar...

But remember, can't have a core set without Air Elemental (lol)
    I think core sets would be good but they plan so many years ahead I don't see them doing it.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,564
    edited May 5
    I think core sets would be good but they plan so many years ahead I don't see them doing it.

Yeah R&D is like a good few years ahead of the actual release cycle with actual art coming in later on. Wizards work on the mechanics and effect first and tries to nail them down before going into the art side of things.
    Saves time and money on development on cards that didn't make the cut for release.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • shinquickmanshinquickman Joined: Posts: 1,804
    There was supposedly a private poll that WotC threw recently with potential names for a core set coming out in 2019. I wish I had the link, and I'm not sure how official it is, but we just might get core sets back soon.
    TimeAttack: Grand Coward of SRK since November 18th, 2015
    It's obvious Wizards want to save Standard. They don't make money off the secondary market. They want to sell new boosters, they want limited, they want competitive Standard. Going to expeditions and the new Amonkhet promos is just their way of spicing up a market that's dying but really it just needs good cards again. It's just a case of too many cooks and one broth. You can't keep everyone happy.
    Are you saying they're turning into Capcom/Street Fighter
    They don't want to make it as intimidating and expensive as the Eternal formats. In doing so they're alienating some older players. Pretty similar I guess.
    The trouble is it doesn't work though, it just means worse cards become expensive because they're the best in standard even if they nothing special everywhere else.

I mean look at Saheeli before the felidar sovereign ban.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Iduno wrote: »
    The trouble is it doesn't work though, it just means worse cards become expensive because they're the best in standard even if they nothing special everywhere else.

I mean look at Saheeli before the felidar sovereign ban.

Yeah I know. Standard becomes worthless and people stop buying it or the cards are too expensive. They should go back to the way things were. I doubt they will but Standard was fun once.
    edited May 6
    To repeat what ukyo's said a bunch of times: the problem really is that they're making MTG into a game of cards, while their aim should be to make a game of decks. I started playing in RTR/Theros, and as much flak that format gets for becoming stale*, you had a huge bunch of viable decks, and you could build boros burn or sligh pretty cheaply. Getting into the game was easy that way since there were strong decks that used fringe-y / inexpensive cards. Now it feels like there are certain cards that are just mandatory if you want to play the format.

* I suspect part of this was that it followed Inn/RTR which some people has referred to as the last really good standard format.
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,247
    To repeat what ukyo's said a bunch of times: the problem really is that they're making MTG into a game of cards, while their aim should be to make a game of decks. I started playing in RTR/Theros, and as much flak that format gets for becoming stale*, you had a huge bunch of viable decks, and you could build boros burn or sligh pretty cheaply. Getting into the game was easy that way since there were strong decks that used fringe-y / inexpensive cards. Now it feels like there are certain cards that are just mandatory if you want to play the format.

* I suspect part of this was that it followed Inn/RTR which some people has referred to as the last really good standard format.

I started playing during rtr/theros too. Theros/Khans was awesome - almost every week a different deck won, you could play almost anything. Then theros rotated out, Bfz dropped and standard went downhill and never recovered.

I'm gonna give this standard season a try - provided standard will still be played at my fnm - I want to try Gr Ramp, Gw tokens, rb zombies and ur emerge and see if anything sticks

I started way back around Onslaught though I played some original Alpha Magic as a child. One of my favourite Standard times was Scars/12/Inni. Inni/13/Ravnica was great though. Theros was when it really started going downhill for me as it was such a weak set. Tarkir was good but it's been bad since.
    They say Library of Alexandria is #10. Would Isochron Scepter be #11?

In a Vintage tournamnet I put Ancestral Recall on it, and my opponent quit.
    Can we get Image.ashx?multiverseid=159132&type=card and Image.ashx?multiverseid=365&type=card in content_HOU_SET_SYMBOL.png?

Juzam Djinn is reserve list. Pretty sure Lord of the Pit would be too.

Some more crazy demons and horrors would be neat though. I actually really love a few of the new ones for flavour. Horror of the Broken land is cool.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,404
    Two a 2-week vacation in London and haven't checked anything related to MtG, Hearthstone or fighting games in all that time. Hopefully nothing important happened while I was doing weeaboo shit.
    2hmojr4.jpg
    Welp, my best friend wants to quit magic now. First they banned twin and now they banned Miracles.

Come on man.Are we really supposed to feel pity for TWIN and MIRACLES players? Seriously? Let's not pretend these players got blindsided by something they couldn't possibly have predicted. If you played a single tournament with either of those decks you knew you were skating on thin ice.
    It isn't a balancing decision; its Ukyo's view on it. Ban things to shake up the metagame whenever it stagnates.

I feel that it is very important to establish a consistent pattern of frequent bannings and rotations not only to shake up the meta but also to drive prices down. Right now the sky is the limit. The more a card gets played the higher the price rockets. Let's put a ticking time-bomb on chase rares and mythics to keep them from going too crazy.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    edited May 11
    I guess Juzam Djinn's name is Ouallada.

On another note. Here is the Power Eleven:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=298&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=331&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=328&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=330&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=327&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=329&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=426&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=427&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=390&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=990&type=card Image.ashx?multiverseid=46741&type=card
    Lol. I'm still waiting to see someone break it in Modern. I did see a potential way to T2 unsummon their only land with Boomerang and keep doing it but that's the definition of jank.
    Lol. I'm still waiting to see someone break it in Modern. I did see a potential way to T2 unsummon their only land with Boomerang and keep doing it but that's the definition of jank.

Wow never realised it was so cheap now, just ordered a playset, with this and Eldritch Evolution together modern pod is coming back.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    it's not working, it must be a instant and 2 mana or less. I tried isochron scepter in an UW control shell - it is fun, but not sure is good enough. But when it gets going is pretty strong - Isochron + Silence is hilarious. Angel's grace and fogs are also cool

Shit, that'll teach me to rtfc, ah well at least it's an interesting enough card to do something else with.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    I like to use Isochron Scepter as a budget Snapcaster Mage replacement.
    Isochron is a fun card when it works. And then someone destroys it before you get to activate it, and you got two-for-oned. Or you don't have a spell you can use as imprint in your hand. Plus you have to actually build a deck around it for it to be dangerous which can lead to some serious consistency issues, and it's far too slow for most formats. There's a reason why it's not banned anywhere, and probably never will be. If you're going to all-in on a card, you might as well all-in on a card that actually wins you the game instead.

Does Isochron + Ancestral Vision (or similar cards) work though? That does sound rather silly.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,564
    edited May 11
    Isochron is a fun card when it works. And then someone destroys it before you get to activate it, and you got two-for-oned. Or you don't have a spell you can use as imprint in your hand. Plus you have to actually build a deck around it for it to be dangerous which can lead to some serious consistency issues, and it's far too slow for most formats. There's a reason why it's not banned anywhere, and probably never will be. If you're going to all-in on a card, you might as well all-in on a card that actually wins you the game instead.

Does Isochron + Ancestral Vision (or similar cards) work though? That does sound rather silly.

Isochron imprint ability targets instance spells and Ancestral Vision is a sorcery, so no.
    If it was not for that technicality, you could cast a nill mana cost as a converted mana cost of Zero.

Casting it via some alternate means, like with Fist of Suns, Mind’s Desire, or As Foretold will still work.

If the card was not banned in every format, I like to see Contract from Below be used, but it's still a sorcery and not a "instant"

Next choice would be Ancestral Recall
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Isochron is a fun card when it works. And then someone destroys it before you get to activate it, and you got two-for-oned.

Should never happen. Worst case you imprint something, the opponent destroys it and in response you get one activation. One for one.
    Plus you have to actually build a deck around it for it to be dangerous

You just throw it in a deck with lots of instants. Tons of those in Modern.

Isochron Scepter is not a Modern staple for two reasons:
    1. Snapcaster Mage is better for use as a value play in a generic deck
    2. The existence of Affinity means there is too much artifact hate to build an entire deck around scepter
    Isochron Scepter + Strionic Resonator allows you to imprint 2 instants on 1 Isochron Scepter.
    There are a bunch of combo decks that use it, none of them are particularly reliable. Not just because of artifact hate, Modern just doesn't have the tutoring that Legacy does. It's also in the same boat that Eggs is in that while it goes off, other stuff goes off faster and easier.

An example is you can put dramatic reversal on it with shit like Springleaf Drum and Mox Opal + mana permanents and literally go infinite with mana. Win cons can be anything from like a Night Market Lookout from Kaladesh or forcing them to draw their entire deck with a Blue Sun's Zenith.

edited May 13
    That's why I said power eleven. Meaning that it's really powerful in Vintage and Legacy.

When Mirrodin first came out, I made a Isochron Scepter, Final Fortune, Platinum Angel deck.

Loved Shared Fate/Leveler. Your opponent can't use your library
    Pro Tour Amonkhet was all Zombies and Aetherworks Marvel with one Snake deck running Bonepicker. First Pro Tour in a while won by a mono colour deck.
    Pro Tour Amonkhet was all Zombies and Aetherworks Marvel with one Snake deck running Bonepicker.

There is probably no top tier deck I respect less than AEtherworks Marvel since I returned to playing MtG. I feel that it represents everything that wrong with modern MtG.
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    Pro Tour Amonkhet was all Zombies and Aetherworks Marvel with one Snake deck running Bonepicker.

There is probably no top tier deck I respect less than AEtherworks Marvel since I returned to playing MtG. I feel that it represents everything that wrong with modern MtG.

Pretty much. It's just jank with one overpowered thing it does.
    edited May 19
    I think the random factor is more annoying. Spin the wheel and hope you get there. Same reason why I dislike coco (while I loved birthing pod). The worse part is that the other archetypes - Zombies and Mardu - are not interesting to me either. So yeah, the meta is not warped around a deck, but none of the options are appealing to me. :s .

I will try a Bounty of the Luxa deck and then hope hour of devastation will bring something cool.
    Post edited by Emanuelb on