Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,921
    I feel like Control is playable again due to Censor and the meta being a tad slower. It beats Aetherworks easily
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,116
    edited May 19
    Yeah I've been messing with R/B drake control atm, is pretty fun.

Still feel like I need to sideboard artefact hate vs Aetherworks though, if that resolves and your opponent starts chaining that Eldrazi which taps 4 permanents down its ggs.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,732
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,415
    Reply to the article.
    WTF, simplified Magic ?

You will not just the competitive/spectator scene, you till your largest, oldest most loyal fan base.
    Looking to Heartstone and following their trends on Twitch as large scale changes to Magic is suicidal
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Yeah fuck that mess, make the game for the players, not the spectators, don't give a fuck if pro's can't turn it into their day job, I want to play the game as is not some simplified bullshit.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,955
    That is a old article. I still stick by wanting Magic to be more like the FGC. I want the IFC Yipes/Kenneth Bradley types commentating.

Like it would be hype and fun. I want pop offs and shit. Sometimes you see it on the more local channels and I always find them the best.

Wizards wants to keep it G rated so that and the fact that its complicated makes it a fucking terrible choice for E-sports even though we could see the "real" money put into it.
    Here is a You Tube Video explaining most of the problems Magic Pro Tours actually have on Twitch

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,919 mod
    Magic Pro Tour got as many people watching it as Combo Breaker?

Bunch of cucks can't get their own fanbase to watch a game that has outside the worst entry of a 30 year old fighting game series with a way smaller player base?

Cucks.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    BR3N7 wrote: »
    That is a old article. I still stick by wanting Magic to be more like the FGC. I want the IFC Yipes/Kenneth Bradley types commentating.

Like it would be hype and fun. I want pop offs and shit. Sometimes you see it on the more local channels and I always find them the best.

Wizards wants to keep it G rated so that and the fact that its complicated makes it a fucking terrible choice for E-sports even though we could see the "real" money put into it.

Funny enough that's exactly what I was aiming at with my show CYS Radio. Unfortunately we had one dude ruin it because he wanted us to be more informative and more open to everybody instead of saying all the ridiculous shit we were gonna do.

M:TG community can stay ass.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,955
    Pertho wrote: »

Bunch of cucks can't get their own fanbase to watch a game that has outside the worst entry of a 30 year old fighting game series with a way smaller player base?

They focus on Type 2 trying to boost sales and the same players over and over. I feel in the FGC this is ok since the gap between Punk and the 40th best person is HUGE while in MTG the gap between whoever you consider 1 and the 1,000th is relatively close. They also refuse to lose money so making a PT a format like Legacy to bring OG skilled players who are beyond great at that format doesn't happen. This could oddly be a smart idea as it would showcase players length of play and that people could play this game for 15-20+ years and showcase the games history.

Did you watch CB? The part where Tasty Steve I think was talking about the YUGIOH theme, as I watched that I was like would of been sick AF in a magic stream. YOOOOOOUR MOOOOOOVE!

Its funny I find Magic way more fun to play and Street/Mahvel so much for fun to watch.

Till then fuck this game as a whole as I stick to 1 Legacy deck and enjoy myself when I do decide to play which is pretty rare recently.

Sadly a while back like you I came into needing TONS of money for some shit so I have to soon dump most of my shit to get that bread. Luckily BR Reanimator was a cheap AF deck to finish and I actually enjoy so I don't have to just move on.

Hence why I stick to mostly commander.

BR3N7 wrote: »
    snip

You would've liked my show. I had so many ridiculous things planned but that one person with their shitty attitude. Its so weird how try hard people wanna be in M:TG. Ridiculous actually.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,693 mod
    (It's kind of bad that when I see "Marvel" now, I just think of that stupid Aetherworks Marvel card. It's to the point where "When's Marvel" mentally ends with "going to be banned from Standard?" now.)

I don't really follow any Magic: The Gathering coverage beyond MTGGoldfish's videos and, less frequently as of late, ChannelFireball's non-tournament match videos on Youtube. As such, I don't have any opinion on the above talk beyond sniping that I can't say I'm surprised that, even just in passing, it seems like WotC is still shooting itself in the foot as of late, which is a damn shame; the concept of "e-sports" still largely strikes me as insipid anyway.

Anyway, I haven't been keeping up with Modern as of late, so I was a bit surprised to learn that apparently some Affinity decks are starting to use Day's Undoing, especially since that card barely made an impact when it was in Standard when Magic Origins was around given the Blue mythic rare everyone cared about from that set was Jace, Vyrn's Prodigy. Still, when Day's Undoing goes off in optimal circumstances for Affinity, it seems extremely disgusting:

Cucks.

Gee. I leave for almost half of a year and come back to see that moderating the American politics thread has corrupted you into using this dumb word. I'm not sure whether to blame myself or pedoviejo or both.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Modern is healthy and fun. There are a bunch of new decks getting around at the moment
    Is Dark Ritual banned in Modern? If so then why?
    Dark Ritual was never printed in a Modern legal set. Also,

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkob17/top-8-decklists-2017-05-28

Recent GP top 8. Even the familiar decks are a bit strange to look at.
    The Damned wrote: »
    Gee. I leave for almost half of a year and come back to see that moderating the American politics thread has corrupted you into using this dumb word. I'm not sure whether to blame myself or pedoviejo or both.

Neither. One of our local players had a mild stroke after Trump's election and started calling everybody cucks. The US are cucks, mexicans are cucks, everything is cucks.

Cuck is hilarious when its coming out of the mouth of a Mexican trying to make sense of the US politics. Although thinking moderating that thread would cuck me though, :coffee:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

edited May 30
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Dark Ritual was never printed in a Modern legal set.

Yep, last actual set (and not a premium printing, Dual Deck or some sort of collection) is Mercadian Masques.
    Only other way you see legal play of Dark Ritual other than Legacy, Vintage and Commander is in Draft as Amonkhet Invocations are all legal for draft (but not standard).
    Dark%20Ritual.full_L.jpg

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,693 mod
    (Noted, Pertho.)

Gods, the typing format on those special Amonkhet cards are just such as pain in the ass to try to decipher. Why the hell didn't they think to make the type font of the actual name and types clearer?
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    edited May 31
    3 Serum Visions
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Path to Exile

4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Lightning Helix
    3 Mana Leak
    1 Izzet Charm

2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Electrolyze

4 Cryptic Command

1 Stormbreath Dragon

8 Fetch
    4 Shock
    4 Spirebluff Canal
    4 Basics
    4 Colonnade
    1 Desolate Lighthouse

My current Modern project.
  • shinquickmanshinquickman Joined: Posts: 1,812
    So "cuck" to you is the same as "toxic" is to me, @The Damned. I'm not even sure what it means anymore with how often it's used. My best guess is "stuff I don't like talking about", but eh.

This is one of the few non-gameplay MTG content that I wholeheartedly enjoyed.

TimeAttack: Grand Coward of SRK since November 18th, 2015
    Forgot about this broken card:

Details.aspx?multiverseid=159749
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

That's pretty sweet. Wizards should put real money in boosters instead of expeditions.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,476
    I have been doing ok with this UW Cycling Control list:

MD:
    3 Drake Haven
    2 Kefnet
    4 Censor
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Immolating Glare
    2 Stasis Snare
    2 Void Shatter
    2 Disallow
    2 Forsake the Worldly
    4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
    4 Cast Out
    4 Fumigate
    2 Pull from Tomorrow
    4 Irrigated Farmland
    4 Prairie Stream
    4 Port Town
    6 Island
    6 Plains
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium

SB:
    2 Linvala, the Preserver
    2 Stasis Snare
    1 Blessed Alliance
    1 Immolating Glare
    3 Negate
    2 Dispel
    1 Kefnet
    1 Sphinx of the Final Word
    2 Forsake the Worldly

For the past three weeks or so I have only lost to the pseudo-mirror (Jeskai Cycling Control) because this one guy in my area plays a deck that sacrifices all chance of beating Zombies or Mardu in order to prey on control decks (Sphinx of the Final Word and full set of Negates maindeck, LOL).
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    So "cuck" to you is the same as "toxic" is to me, @The Damned. I'm not even sure what it means anymore with how often it's used. My best guess is "stuff I don't like talking about", but eh.

This is one of the few non-gameplay MTG content that I wholeheartedly enjoyed.

• EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,258
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    I have been doing ok with this UW Cycling Control list:

For the past three weeks or so I have only lost to the pseudo-mirror (Jeskai Cycling Control) because this one guy in my area plays a deck that sacrifices all chance of beating Zombies or Mardu in order to prey on control decks (Sphinx of the Final Word and full set of Negates maindeck, LOL).

I feel negate is very maindeckable right now. I'm playing at least 2 md in my Bounty of the luxa deck. Too many good targets. Still, standard is ass.

Btw, you guys saw the new Nicol Bolas ? I'm not impressed and I doubt it will see much play. The old Bolas was better and cooler, his ultimate was badass. There's a new GR walker that I feel will have the same fate as Arlin. But, the new 3 mana sweeper is very intruiging. not untapping for a turn is big, but so is a 3 mana unconditional wrath.

Emanuelb wrote: »
    But, the new 3 mana sweeper is very intruiging. not untapping for a turn is big, but so is a 3 mana unconditional wrath.

I think it will be great in Vintage where you have Moxen and not 100% it could be better than Deluge in Legacy but the fact you don't have to use life as a resource is very intriguing and you have things like Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond.
    This has huge potential in Commander.

http://mythicspoiler.com/c17/cards/ramosdragonengine.html
    Damn, turning into a planeswalker fucked Samut up hard, like her creature version is so much better it's not even a contest.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,388
    Damn new Bolas looks too dope to be so pointless right now.
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    SFV:Bison,Ed,Abigail.BB:Susanoo
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

The new Bolas has his work cut out for him. Here is what I look for in a "good" PW:

3 Mana: Weak (but not zero) board impact upon casting, non-conditional tempo advantage or conditional card advantage every turn after
    4 Mana: Moderate board impact upon casting, non-conditional card/tempo advantage every turn after
    5 Mana: Strong board impact upon casting, non-conditional card/tempo advantage every turn after
    6 Mana: Strong impact upon casting, game-winning card/tempo advantage every turn after
    7+ Mana: Game-winning impact upon casting, game-winning card/tempo advantage every turn after

Bolas looks like the kind of walker where you play him and kill something with the -4, then hope he survives so you can keep "drawing cards" with his +2. Against blue-based control you have to use the +1 because hitting a counterspell with the +2 really sucks.

I could imagine him seeing play if the format had tons of really good value permanents in it and there was a pushed spell that puts them on top of your opponent's library so you can guarantee the +2 hits something amazing.
    I feel he's in a similar position to Ajani. Ajani is an undeniable bomb card but he's not worth ramping into when you look at the other options for his CMC.

Bolas may see play in some kind of Superfriends Walker Control but he'd probably be a 1 of.
    Who wants to see a MTG investor and trader freak the fuck out

because here you go
    Won FNM, only four rounds because smallish turnout. We played Modern. Beat Suicide Jund, D+T, Infect and Hardened Scales Affinity playing BW Souls.

I think the biggest strength of BW Souls is it's consistency and it's got a lot of additions since people used to give it credit. I love Anguished Unmaking as a sideboard flex card and Push, Fastlands and Manlands in BW have helped the deck. It's flawless now finding T1 black and 3W without constantly hurting itself.
    nicolbolasgodpharaoh.jpg

Since when is Gill in Magic The Gathering
    edited June 13
    We should start getting more Hour of Devastation spoilers soon and more information about Magic's 25th anniversary as well.

Also, apparently Magic is getting a non-card related AAA MMORPG a la Neverwinter.
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,388
    Marvel is banned now too? What's next on the hit list...Gideon?
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    SFV:Bison,Ed,Abigail.BB:Susanoo
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

ribu wrote: »

He's easy to play around. He just creates a lot of salt.
    WoTC bringing back the core set too.

I like how all these bad decisions happen and nobody gets fired there.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Wizards does seem to be taking a bit of an "Ah, fuck it, if we mess up we can always just fix it with bans" approach these days, don't remember ever having so many standard bans in such short succession when I was playing more regular between Zendikar and Ravnica.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Iduno wrote: »
    Wizards does seem to be taking a bit of an "Ah, fuck it, if we mess up we can always just fix it with bans" approach these days, don't remember ever having so many standard bans in such short succession when I was playing more regular between Zendikar and Ravnica.

Just the 90's all over again and the way it should be. If I had time I would love to play standard right now. I want a higher power level and bans as needed.
    ribu wrote: »

This comment betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of WotC. The point of the bannings was to ensure that Gideon would be the best card in Standard for the entire time he was legal.

Don't feel too bad about missing it. WotC sneakily threw in Reflector Mage in the initial bans to throw us off the scent.

If MaRo didn't get fired for Urza block, why would anyone get fired for this?
    Iduno wrote: »
    Wizards does seem to be taking a bit of an "Ah, fuck it, if we mess up we can always just fix it with bans" approach these days

If WotC made one mistake in this Standard format, it's that they were too conservative in their bannings. Gideon should have been banned alongside Copter, Reflector Mage and Emrakul. Marvel should have been banned alongside Felidar.
    (So I guess "When's Marvel...getting banned in Standard" turned out to be on the lucky number of the 13th.)

Yeah, Gatewatch Gideon and Marvel Aetherworks should have been banned a while ago or, better yet, have never made it to printing as they were. Same goes for all the things that got banned from Standard recently save for maybe Reflector Mage, which is more a scapegoat for Gideon than anything it is really damn annoying as well as borderline actually broken off of Collected Company or Panharmonicon (or, really, any way to flash it in).

Anyway, the only thing that surprises me about the announcement is that it actually happened relatively quickly rather than making yet another pretext for keeping that piece of shit card around. Now if only the same could have been said for Gideon.

Meanwhile, Kozelik 2.0 continues to sit in a corner and brood over her fair (read: weak) she is compared to her two siblings. I still don't understand how, of the three new Eldrazi Titan cards, she's only one with an actual colorless mana requirement.

- P. G. Wodehouse

It's not the old core set. It's a yearly set aimed at beginners featuring patches essentially. Cards to improve Standard that don't clash with theme.

They're also moving to 3 big sets a year and doing away with blocks. So they may spend 1 set on a plane or they may spend all 3. It will improve drafting as there won't be any more mixed 2 small 1 big drafts.

The changes to the Jacetice League and not needing to have all 5 in Standard at one time is great.

Will we get Air Elemental (running joke) in the new core set?

Speaking of which, will we go back to Dominaria.

Also, I just found out about this card being errata...

Legacy Tron and Workshop has problems with this card:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=1007&type=card
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,258
    The new spoilers bring us crucible of worlds on a stick, a very good hoser for vehicles and an interesting creature...oh and Marvel is banned ? Hmm, I guess I will go to the nationals afterall...

So Pirate Vraska and dinosaurs and we're getting a Fish vs. Goblins duel deck.
    I wonder what pushed Mythic I'm going to ignore this set. So excited.