Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• BIG BAD MOGBIG BAD MOG Tough, yet Fluffy Joined: Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Then it's once a week that you will playtest!
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,512
    Hecajon wrote: »
    didnt want to quit magic really, but modern became crap after they banned twin, and let eldrazi run rampant. Hopefully modern gets more combo decks in a few years that dont get banned.

You could always play Legacy or Vintage. Those are the designated quarantine areas for combo players.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • HecajonHecajon Joined: Posts: 486
    Then it's once a week that you will playtest!
    ya its just not fun though, maybe for you guys. I really dont like making my own decks.

Then just copy+paste from http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=223
    Then just copy+paste from http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=223
    I already said I was going to copy a top deck, but the elitism wanted to step in.

To be fair, you definitely came across as whiny.
    edited June 2016
    Well you guys seem pretty whiny to me, complaining about people not putting in time to make their own decks.
    Let's see, you want something like twin, known to be one of the easiest combo decks to win and pilot. You also don't want to put in any effort of sculpting a deck especially if it isn't tier 1. Your excuse is that you don't have enough time to playtest as you can only play once a week, not even talking about how long that one time is.

So when everyone looks at what you are looking from, yes, it seems like magic is not for you at this stage. If you really can only afford to play it once a week in a non-FNM setting, then you need to get a better handle on your life or get a different hobby. Bulldancer made a pretty accurate analogy of your situation.

Now I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T netdeck, hell even I have netdecked during standard and learned the importance of playtesting/learning your deck. A lot of people netdeck, a lot of people want easy combo wins as they require the least amount of goal setting, and a lot of people don't play outside of FNM yet have trouble understanding why they don't make top 8 in a competitive scene. However, you should realize where you stand based on the amount of effort you want to put in, just like in any hobby/job/relationship.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,709
    Pertho wrote: »
    didnt want to quit magic really, but modern became crap after they banned twin, and let eldrazi run rampant. Hopefully modern gets more combo decks in a few years that dont get banned.

Modern has plenty of combos. Whether or not you want to put in the effort to make them good, that's your prerogative.
    ya but twin was good though, and infect is to me not a real combo deck. Most of the time I only play Tier 1 decks. Sure modern has a lot of decks but not all of them are tier 1.

Abzan Toolbox is a tier one combo. Living End, Ad Nauseum and Kiki-chord all wreck unprepared metas

2 Kings 2:24
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,980 mod
    (*resists an urge that maybe Preppy will give into*)

Anyway, Eternal Masters got updated into Gatherer yesterday for anyone who actually cares about that. I figured I would just put that out there, especially given the current dead-end "discussion".

lol. I've had turrible luck recently, its just some moves paid off.

Unexpeted twist: my friend walked out of the store and left the binders in there. This dude seriously left 16k worth of cards behind. My friend is gettig that Guile fierce action.

So this means that they didn't actually get stolen then, correct? If so, then that's good news. As you pointed out in the Lounge, however, yeah, you may have legitimate cause to worry about your friend's memory depending on the circumstances.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Been thinking about a lot of deck ideas lately. I wish I owned a set of Goyfs so I could play green
    (You can still play Green in Modern without necessarily having to use Tarmogoyf.)

Sure, Tarmogoyf is of course stupid good, which is part of the reason why it's stupid expensive, but it's not the end-all, be-all of Green decks, especially if you're talking about primarily Green decks. Elves don't use Goyf. Need do the Genesis Wave/Green Devotion decks.

What deck in Modern do you want to play that uses Green for Goyf? Jund?
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Sultai.

Was thinking 4 Goyfs, 4 AV and hand hate. Maybe get Clique and Cryptic in there. W.I.P but the price of Goyfs puts me off
    Was reading: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33074_What-To-Play-In-Legacy.html

Where does Lands fall under? I enjoy playing storm, shardless, and lands but I'm wondering where it stands in terms of difficulty.
    (Welcome to my world of poverty, FrostyAU.)

Other than not being able to think of what card you mean by AV off the top of my head, I see.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,360 admin
    Played my first EMA draft last night as prep work for running an EMA sealed PPTQ Saturday. Isochron scepter is preeeeetty damned good in this set.

Seems like the boxes are generally fairly mediocre, or maybe it's just my friends. May your boxes be excellent.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good."

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    Or buy a second ps4 so you house can run two set ups. #CostTheSame
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 All eyez on me! Joined: Posts: 2,180
    Or buy a second ps4 so you house can run two set ups. #CostTheSame

Ya was going to do some live drafts or get a box since I don't really need anything I am just gonna do 1-2 on MODO and call it a day. Honestly I am weighing out buying another fightstick with the money I was going to use cause I use a 360+Cronus which no one here will let you use in tournaments so thats been lame.
    Was reading: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33074_What-To-Play-In-Legacy.html

Where does Lands fall under? I enjoy playing storm, shardless, and lands but I'm wondering where it stands in terms of difficulty.
    Lands is a control deck at its core. Its overall skill level is above average but all decks are in the format.

I am going to break down how to play Legacy in 3 simple steps a flowchart of sorts:

1) are you on ANY kinda of budget restraint?
    A) No - Proceed to question 2
    b) Yes and I will play rarely - Nigga this is Legacy and not the dollar menu but if you must play the best format and enjoy Magic and even just in small doses then then pick from the following x) Burn - I want to play spells over 3-4 turns x) Belcher - I want to yolo and give no fucks or x) Dredge - the hybrid of the others
    C) Kinda on a budget but I will play a lot - Proceed to questions 2

2) Are you good at magic ? Be Honest and do you want to play a lot of Legacy or just a little?
    a) I am god to all who oppose me and want to play a lot - Proceed to question 3
    b) I am good and want to play a lot and must have blue - x) Play Any Delver deck x) or Shardless Bug or x) deathblade
    c) I am above average and want to play as little as possible but win - x) Count to 9 and storm it up x)play chalice and thought-knot or x) cast little green 1/1's and play a natural order
    d) I just wanna try and win but not have to be good at magic at all - x) play reanimator or x) sneak and show
    e) money is still a issue but I will play a lot - x) play merfolk or x) that deck with chalice and thought-knot or) cast goblin lackey

3) so you made it this far and your goal is to play lots and lots of legacy well its very simple from this point on
    a) I want to sit back and say go - x) play miracles
    b) I want to say go but grind it out till no end and not play blue - x)play lands
    c) I want to not play blue and and little guys - x) DnT
    d) I just like swamps and might lose a lot - x) play Pox
    e) I just wanna combo but not count to 10 - x) play food chain or x)painter

thats the legacy flow chart at its best. At one point I found one that was spot on kinda. In the end this format has only 1 very simple rule - pick just 1 deck and learn it in and out. Doesn't matter what deck just pick something you love and wanna do over and over and over and over and over again.

• BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,493
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Sultai.

Was thinking 4 Goyfs, 4 AV and hand hate. Maybe get Clique and Cryptic in there. W.I.P but the price of Goyfs puts me off

Snaps are a better two drop imo. I'm not even that sure how much you'd need Goyf when you can just play cool things like Tasigur instead.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,261
    Played my Twiddle/Dark Ritual deck (a Legacy deck) and some people that it was "cheating"
    BullDancer wrote: »
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Sultai.

Snaps are a better two drop imo. I'm not even that sure how much you'd need Goyf when you can just play cool things like Tasigur instead.

I'd run Snaps too. Goyfs goes well with Thoughtseize. If I wasn't running Goyfs I'm not sure why I'd play Green over Red for Kolaghans and Terminate.
    Something like

3 Thoughtseize
    3 inquisition
    4 ancestral visions

4 abrupt decay
    4 snapcaster
    4 Goyfs

2 Vendillion
    4 Maelstrom Pulse
    4 Finks

3 Cryptic

1 Tasigur

@BR3N7 Yeah, every "how to pick your legacy deck" primer I have followed kept leading me to storm...however people always say it's not the best deck to run with since it has a very high skill cap and the current meta makes it easy to hate out. I'll be honest, I don't care how high your skillcap is, but if someone drops a t1 Chalice, t2 Thalia, and maybe even a t3 trinisphere, you're not winning.
    @BR3N7 Yeah, every "how to pick your legacy deck" primer I have followed kept leading me to storm...however people always say it's not the best deck to run with since it has a very high skill cap and the current meta makes it easy to hate out. I'll be honest, I don't care how high your skillcap is, but if someone drops a t1 Chalice, t2 Thalia, and maybe even a t3 trinisphere, you're not winning.

As a guy who only plays Legacy Storm (TES) the format is harder yet kinda the same as say 6 months ago. The Eldrazi are a bad matchup for traditional ANT storm which I personally feel is the wrong version to be on right now. But the Eldrazi also beat up on Miracles which now has to go down up to 2 pieces of Storm hate *usually 1* to add Moats. This is huge for Storm in the meta. I feel TES is best overall positioned for a true storm deck and Belcher might even be more well primed with that omega fuck it style. I know most people don't like TES cause its less "safe". Its more consistent as you get the one thing I feel ANT lacks which is 8 tutors, a tool box and more Dark Rituals and speed cards like Chrome Mox. But ya in the end when you opponent wins the roll goes Chalice for 1 and then turn 2 something like Thought-Knot or Trinisphere or Thorn of Amethyst you would be very hard pressed to win.
    Out of the 13,000+ cards ever printed, this is the best land card ever made:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=48132&type=card
    I like Deathblade as it plays fair Magic at a very unfair level. It can hate out just about anything
    My best friend bought a box of Eternal Masters.

He cracked a foil Force of Will.

Doesn't make up for leaving the majority of the collection at the card shop for no apparent reason.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

BR3N7 wrote: »

As a guy who only plays Legacy Storm (TES) the format is harder yet kinda the same as say 6 months ago. The Eldrazi are a bad matchup for traditional ANT storm which I personally feel is the wrong version to be on right now. But the Eldrazi also beat up on Miracles which now has to go down up to 2 pieces of Storm hate *usually 1* to add Moats. This is huge for Storm in the meta. I feel TES is best overall positioned for a true storm deck and Belcher might even be more well primed with that omega fuck it style. I know most people don't like TES cause its less "safe". Its more consistent as you get the one thing I feel ANT lacks which is 8 tutors, a tool box and more Dark Rituals and speed cards like Chrome Mox. But ya in the end when you opponent wins the roll goes Chalice for 1 and then turn 2 something like Thought-Knot or Trinisphere or Thorn of Amethyst you would be very hard pressed to win.

So you don't think it's a bad idea to go with storm? This is the list I have been playing on untap:

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Rain of Filth
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Dark Petition
    3 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Swamp
    2 Island
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

3 Disfigure
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tropical Island
    Ran a PPTQ last night, the top 8 draft decks were almost Legacy quality. When you get solid drafters sticking to archetypes, you get crazy strong decks. White blue fliers took it over three color Hondens in the finals, with a nutty strong black green elves deck losing to the Honden deck's life gain and ace in the hole Mother of Runes.

This seems like a great draft set. The lone downside to me is that some of the cards just destroy you if they get out.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good."

Preppy wrote: »
    Ran a PPTQ last night, the top 8 draft decks were almost Legacy quality. When you get solid drafters sticking to archetypes, you get crazy strong decks. White blue fliers took it over three color Hondens in the finals, with a nutty strong black green elves deck losing to the Honden deck's life gain and ace in the hole Mother of Runes.

This seems like a great draft set. The lone downside to me is that some of the cards just destroy you if they get out.

Drafting Eternal?
    Yeah, Eternal Sealed PPTQ with a top 8 Eternal draft playoff.

So you don't think it's a bad idea to go with storm? This is the list I have been playing on untap:

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Rain of Filth
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Dark Petition
    3 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Swamp
    2 Island
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

3 Disfigure
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tropical Island

Yes very much so, today I had this conversation where I went to play with some other people. In the end just pick a deck you like and it will always have its ups and downs but in the long run you will be glad you did as

This GP had only 1 Storm in top 32 and it was a TES which isn't surprising to me but what might be good or alarming is the number of Miracles in the top 32, it looked too dominate and that could lead to some kind of ban (terminus most likely and force them to run supreme verdict) and the deck is still playable but not truly the top deck.
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Played my Twiddle/Dark Ritual deck (a Legacy deck) and some people that it was "cheating"

If anyone wants to know the deck list...
    Anyone who actually knows this info I know some of you are judges: At a Casual FNM level could you technically Burning wish for ANY card?
    Anyone who actually knows this info I know some of you are judges: At a Casual FNM level could you technically Burning wish for ANY card?

No.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

13466404_1037612169639869_8558259767465331905_n.jpg?oh=8ce2dd747316bac55800a23c361919a4&oe=57E28D11

• BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,493
    @BR3N7 Cards outside of the game only explicitly means sideboard. If you want to houserule it up then sure. But it's technically illegal.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    Oh I know, Was just reading how only in competitive REL that the SB is how outside the game works so I was like what about casual like FNM. Would be funny to have a stack of cards when I play storm just to troll.

Side note been playing more live magic and gold-fishing soooo much my TES deck so much my hands are orange. Also playing a ton online and all of a sudden I have that drive again funny how a few live events gets me kick started.
    Does that mean Emrakul is in Eldritch?
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Does that mean Emrakul is in Eldritch?

Word on the street...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file