Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,160 mod
    Jace confirmed for being the next guest at Maury.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,902 mod
    (Nah. Liliana would probably just sacrifice their kid to kill another one of her demons or something if she isn't already on that Emma "I have no eggs!" Frost pregnancy protection plan.)

Well, I'm still somewhat mixed about the cards as a whole given how the majority of them have been Eldrazi [Something] so far, the point where Stoneforge Masterwork seems like it got a lot better for Eldrazi, and given how overpowered a few of them like It That Rides As One seem, especially in the context of Human aggro decks already being top tier in present Standard. That said, today the strictly cutest card of the set was finally revealed, and I say this as someone who isn't a cat person--I do like snakes though:

harmlessoffering.jpg

Even as a "strictly worse" Donate (in Red instead of Blue), it still has potential use in Standard, at least with both Demonic Pact and Goldnight Castigator around. It's a bit of a shame that Demonic Pact rotates out at the same time that Dromoka's Command does though.

Still, looking at the comments on that card on Mythic Spoiler made realize perhaps the most fun to be had with the card is in non-Blue Red EDH decks that might have wanted the type of effect before given someone mentioned the cruel hilarity of using Harmless Offering to "donate" Conspiracy--picking "Dragon" obviously--when their EDH General was Karrthus:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=108914&type=card + Image.ashx?multiverseid=180587&type=card

Not necessarily instant death since the creatures become non-Dragons if they weren't actually Dragons once you grab them, but you still retain control despite that, which is amusing.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,272
    the land that grants haste to a creature is very interesting.

edited July 2016
    (I still can't tell yet whether Werewolves & Wolves are getting screwed over (again) or might actually be constructed playable now. Same with Spirits, though at least there it's because so far there's only been one Spirit creature revealed thus far.

Zombies and Vampires at least seem to be getting proper support with what's been revealed so far for the non-Human, non-Eldrazi "tribes", though where they'll actually see play in Constructed is a different question. Horrors technically are getting support too given how many of them there are now, but the only real support they have so far is Thing in the Ice not bouncing them when it flips. Big whoop.)

Yeah, Hanweir Battlements is easily one of the better cards in the set so far, though you could also say that of the two creature cards related to it given how absurdly powerful they can get. That said, I still find it odd it's not a Legendary Land, especially given it's almost strictly better than at least one Legendary Land:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=77924&type=card vs. hanweirbattlements.jpg

I know that Wizards generally doesn't tend to like printing Legendary Lands for whatever reason and I'm not even saying that Hanweir Battlements should be one, especially since they thankfully made Hanweir, the Writhing Township a Legendary (Meld) Creature and it's not like it's one of those cards with a proper place name that really should have been Legendary like Valakut, The Molten Pinnacle. It's just that it gets extra weird when one of the cards revealed three days later is a (rightfully) Legendary Land.

Oh well. None of that is really relevant to its quality and it at least seems more than usable even without the Meld aspects as well as giving Red something else nice to play with in EDH where it's still probably the weakest mono-color of them all.
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    the land that grants haste to a creature is very interesting.

YGO mechanics aside, the set does have a lot of interesting cards. Good in that if you're already playing, they are worth looking forward to but not in the come back to play magic type of way.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    Brisela is more powerful than Emrakul in Eldritch
    (That's certainly debatable, and I say this as someone who still doesn't exactly care for Emrakul being in the set and subsequent Eldrazi subtype take over.)

Yeah, I suppose I can agree with this set not necessarily getting people to come back in who weren't already in, though at least it's still looking far more amenable to letting new players in the Standard of just 3 or so months ago when fetchlands were still around making Standard essentially mini-Modern in terms of being hideously overpriced. Even with as much as WotC is obviously pushing Humans in terms of power (for whatever reason), most of the decks in the current Standard still seem to top out at around $250 rather than beginning there.

That said, for me, there's already three cards that might be "enough" to come back for just in terms of how fun they might be to play around with: Harmless Offering, Tree of Perdition, and, of all things, Docent of Perfection.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    That mythic black card that can potentially kill you on turn 4 or sooner is awesome. Tap to make your opponent lose 13 life points...
  • HecajonHecajon Joined: Posts: 486
    edited July 2016
    treeofperdition.jpg

f0d9e2ca0876e200f348d7361714050b.jpg?itok=c7bBLdUL

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,429
    You don't make them lose 13 life, you set their life total to the toughness of that card.

It does combo with Triskadethfgdadhqerfafgphobia, but that's not a very resilient combo. Potentially very good card in commander, though. And you can reduce the toughness of the tree to make it remove even more life.
    edited July 2016
    their life becomes 13, but when you use death wind you can make their life even lower.

Not sure if this would work also, just killing them at the same time the tree would die.

TwistedImage.jpg

Hecajon wrote: »
    their life becomes 13, but when you use death wind you can make their life even lower.

Not sure if this would work also, just killing them at the same time the tree would die.

TwistedImage.jpg

The tree dies before you can do anything. =(
    edited July 2016
    I thought it might work since you would use the trees ability 1st, then in response cast image?

Guess if it doesnt work I guess you have to use something like death wind.
    edited July 2016
    I thought it might work since you would use the trees ability 1st, then in response cast image?

Guess if it doesnt work I guess you have to use something like death wind.

What happens then is Twisted Image resolves > state based actions kick in and the tree dies > tree ability resolves.
    Unless the trigger can resolve even after the tree is dead, it's still not gonna work. And if it can, the tree is one hella busted Magic-card.
    (I was wondering why this thread was moving so far all of a sudden.)

Yeah, Tree of Perdition dies as soon as its toughness becomes 0 or less, so you can't outright kill anyone with it ever thankfully, even if you activate the ability and then respond to it by making its toughness 0 or less.

It can reduce someone's life total to 1 if you use something like Diminish that lets it keep its ability; Godhead of Awe also immediately came to mind:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=208226&type=card or Image.ashx?multiverseid=142019&type=card

That said, given neither of those types of effects are in Standard, if it sees any competitive use, then it's going to be to combo with Triskaidekaphobia, which is admittedly non-resilient but rather amusing. Only other real use I can see beyond having huge ass is maybe being used to make sure that you one someone with Emrakul 2.0, though even that seems like overkill.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    ya I was more of thinking of modern use, though once it becomes a 1/1 it becomes a easy target, so I guess you would have to main board spellskite.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,493
    Pertho wrote: »
    YGO mechanics aside, the set does have a lot of interesting cards. Good in that if you're already playing, they are worth looking forward to but not in the come back to play magic type of way.

My take on this set as it pertains to Standard: Right now the prevailing notion is that Green and White are significantly better than all other colors. The new Thalia will make it harder to splash colors. This means that the meta will likely contract to just GW decks.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    ive never really liked standard, most of the time 3-4 decks will dominate the format.
    ive never really liked standard, most of the time 3-4 decks will dominate the format.

IMHO it's not actually decks that dominate standard. It's cards. The cardpool is so small that it's common for the entire format to revolve around a few key cards that force all decks to either be built around them or built to beat them. Right now those cards are Collected Company and Dromoka's Command. Last season it was Siege Rhino. The season before that it was Sphinx's Revelation and Pack Rat.

When the power level of cards is relatively flat (ie. INN/RAV Standard), standard is awesome.
    Well people make decks around only good cards, so it makes sense. Why use something that cost 7 mana kills a creature when you can use something for 2 mana that does the samething?
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,498
    Rav/Theros standard was really really diverse
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,814
    From a flavor/lore perspective I'm really disappointed in the new Tamiyo.

She is probably the most "Blue" planeswalker in regards to attitude and goals. All she wants to do is explore and document. She is driven by curiosity. She doesn't get directly involved. She's way more blue than even Jace, who acts Blue/Red half the time.

So Wizards decided to slap an extra 2 colors on her...not feeling that decision. Why is she white and green Wizards? She doesn't care about order or harmony. She takes things as they are.

And then the abilities themselves don't even reflect her two new colors. The first lets you draw cards for creatures dealing combat damage. Hmm...that's a blue effect right there. The second lets you tap things and prevents them from untapping for a turn...yeah that's a blue ability too. And her ultimate, you get an Ancestral Recall and an Omniscience. Blue.

I swear if they make Liliana Black/Red...

• EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,272
    What I don't like about Tamyio is that she fits right into Bant Coco and nowhere else. I just don't understand why wizards print cards to make Humans and coco even better.

ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    IMHO it's not actually decks that dominate standard. It's cards. The cardpool is so small that it's common for the entire format to revolve around a few key cards that force all decks to either be built around them or built to beat them. Right now those cards are Collected Company and Dromoka's Command. Last season it was Siege Rhino. The season before that it was Sphinx's Revelation and Pack Rat.

When the power level of cards is relatively flat (ie. INN/RAV Standard), standard is awesome.

My take is that Gideon is more problematic than Dromoka's command. DC hoses enchantments, which is bad :| , but outside that I'm fine with it. But Gideon...this is a bad designed walker that made Abzan aggro best deck when BFZ dropped, and now GW tokens. He is played everywhere, midrange (GW tokens), control (WB control), even aggro (some humans md him or at least sb). I think GW Tokens would be much more acceptable without Gideon.

Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Brisela is more powerful than Emrakul in Eldritch

You know, I might actually agree with this

edited July 2016
    Veserius wrote: »
    Rav/Theros standard was really really diverse

I've heard people criticize RTR/Theros for becoming stale fast (which is a fair criticism -- the format had stabilized by the first month, and it stayed that way for the next year), but I completely agree otherwise. Aside from the obvious top dogs in black and blue devotion, UW/esper control and jund monsters, there was a myriad of other playable decks, i.e. sligh, WR burn, green/red devotion, BG graveyard, white weenie, mono black aggro, etc. Several of the really inexpensive decks were also really good, especially against black devotion and UWC.

I just realized how much I miss Sphinx's Revelation. =(
    Post edited by Naeras on
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    My take is that Gideon is more problematic than Dromoka's command.

I definitely think Gideon is the more powerful card, but I can't think of a deck that sees no play but would probably be pretty good if only Gideon wasn't in the format. However, there are tons of decks that could be tier 1.5 or even tier 1 but can't really be format staples because the best aggro deck in the format randomly has efficient enchantment removal.
    Naeras wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious top dogs in black and blue devotion, UW/esper control and jund monsters, there was a myriad of other playable decks, i.e. sligh, WR burn, green/red devotion, BG graveyard, white weenie, mono black aggro, etc. Several of the really inexpensive decks were also really good, especially against black devotion and UWC.

I would probably have a better opinion of Rav/Ths if it didn't come immediately after Inn/Rav, where there was no obvious top dog at all.
    13600096_1216667071677509_3233134554809620175_n.jpg?oh=bdbaa9d866f777ba286203af532ac946&oe=57ED0963

oathofliliana.jpg

HUR HUR SHE SAYS HAPPY NOW BECAUSE SHE IS TOTALLY FUCKING COOL!

This is so fucking fanfictiony it hurts. I can't believe we went from Sisay to this.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

edited July 2016
    (Yeah, Tamiyo could have still been mono-Blue, but it's pretty much Jace's fault that she isn't since they doubtless didn't want two mono-colored Planeswalkers of the same colors in block. As usual, Jace makes things worse. Who is surprised?)

I don't know. The "happy now" is clearly sarcastic and fits with previous characterizations. It may only feel "fan-fictiony" given the Jacetice League as a whole feels forced and like poorly written fan-fiction, especially given Nissa's unnecessary retcon to not be the Elf equivalent of a race supremacist.

I mean, it seemed pretty clear when there was no Black Oath last block that they were saving the spot for her, especially given her and Jace's history. It's also interesting to note that unlike the other Oath cards, you can't see her other hand and that she doesn't have any magic in the hand you can see; both signs that she'll likely betray them at some point, especially given the whole "Chain Veil" thing, even though Black isn't supposed to be always "evil".

Anyway, I'm laughing way more at the fact that she looks like a Disney villain in these two artworks and that quite a few people are saying her new Planeswalker card is "bad" like they were actually stupid enough to expect another Liliana of Veil despite that card being stupid as fuck, even though The Last Hope is only 3cc as well and actually pretty decent, especially in Zombies.

Whatever. I'm just glad they finally made a Legendary Spider card and one that's technically Golgari colors and pretty decent at that:

ishkanahgrafwidow.jpg

Eat your infected hearts out in jealousy, Werewolves.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • shinquickmanshinquickman Joined: Posts: 1,846
    edited July 2016
    Matriarch wrote: »
    From a flavor/lore perspective I'm really disappointed in the new Tamiyo.

She is probably the most "Blue" planeswalker in regards to attitude and goals. All she wants to do is explore and document. She is driven by curiosity. She doesn't get directly involved. She's way more blue than even Jace, who acts Blue/Red half the time.

So Wizards decided to slap an extra 2 colors on her...not feeling that decision. Why is she white and green Wizards? She doesn't care about order or harmony. She takes things as they are.

And then the abilities themselves don't even reflect her two new colors. The first lets you draw cards for creatures dealing combat damage. Hmm...that's a blue effect right there. The second lets you tap things and prevents them from untapping for a turn...yeah that's a blue ability too. And her ultimate, you get an Ancestral Recall and an Omniscience. Blue.

I swear if they make Liliana Black/Red...
    I personally don't see Blue that way. Blue is the color of progress and perfection, and because of this, Blue is the color most likely to meddle with the status quo alongside Black. Tamiyo, OTOH, cares very much for status quo. It's as you said, Tamiyo takes things as they are. She doesn't want to get involved in any problems and turmoils that a world may face, not because she doesn't care, but because she feels that she could cause more harm than good by intruding on that world's natural state. That is about as Green as anyone can get, so to me Green/Blue perfectly captures who Tamiyo is. I agree that adding White to her is arbitrary, and that her abilities on her cards are all things that Blue can do fine by itself. Otherwise, Green is clean for Tammy.
    TimeAttack: Grand Coward of SRK since November 18th, 2015
    edited July 2016
    (White is arguably in Tamiyo's second ability, but, yeah, White didn't necessarily to be in here casting cost. Oh well. I'm far more concerned about her third/ultimate ability cost plus Double Seasoning.)

Anyway, I thinking that we were done for today, but apparently we get at least one more card today in the form of a generally worse Incinerate that is still pretty decent, especially given the current plight of burn spells in Standard:

incendiaryflow.jpg

The humorous flavor text also helps a bit.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • BlindknaggBlindknagg En man göre inte vad han vill, utan vad han bör. Joined: Posts: 3,948
    The Damned wrote: »
    Whatever. I'm just glad they finally made a Legendary Spider card and one that's technically Golgari colors and pretty decent at that:

http://mythicspoiler.com/emn/cards/ishkanahgrafwidow.jpg

Eat your infected hearts out in jealousy, Werewolves.

My wet dream of building a semi viable spider tribal deck is one step closer to being fulfilled.
    (> ̄▽ ̄)> nigga this
    nigga that
    <( ̄▽ ̄<)
  • MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,814
    13600096_1216667071677509_3233134554809620175_n.jpg?oh=bdbaa9d866f777ba286203af532ac946&oe=57ED0963

I actually really like the artwork of Lili here. Of course I also really like purple, and that purple dress just pops in this pic. Her abilities seem pretty boring to me though.
    I personally don't see Blue that way. Blue is the color of progress and perfection, and because of this, Blue is the color most likely to meddle with the status quo alongside Black. Tamiyo, OTOH, cares very much for status quo. It's as you said, Tamiyo takes things as they are. She doesn't want to get involved in any problems and turmoils that a world may face, not because she doesn't care, but because she feels that she could cause more harm than good by intruding on that world's natural state. That is about as Green as anyone can get, so to me Green/Blue perfectly captures who Tamiyo is. I agree that adding White to her is arbitrary, and that her abilities on her cards are all things that Blue can do fine by itself. Otherwise, Green is clean for Tammy.

Progress is part of Blue in terms of artifice, but that's a minor component to Blue's flavor. Blue is primarily focused on knowledge, and I don't feel that Blue needs to be involved with Green at all if it's just watching how things unfold. If you're only concerned with knowledge you're not going to get involved, whether you're watching a tree grow or Phyrexia invade. Natural and unnatural really don't matter to a chronicler that is purely interested in observation. It's cold and detached empiricism, it doesn't get much more Blue than that.

Not getting involved is only a Green act if nature is chugging along the way it's supposed to. The moment something disrupts what Green sees as natural it very much isn't going to let that fly and jump into action. Contrast this to the Blue minded person who will just watch and chronicle no matter what happens: natural or unnatural. There is no desire to maintain any sense of balance or harmony, which are values of Green and White.

Any color can disrupt the status quo, depending on what the status quo is. In a society dominated by White values the Red minded person will rebel and resist control while the Black minded person will feel their individuality stifled. While a society dominated by Red values would see a White minded person pushing for codified predictability and the Blue minded person advocating for less emotional impulsiveness and more rational thought.

No color really has claim to the status quo. A green mage will push for change just like any other if he's on the streets of Tolaria or gazing across the death fields of Urborg.
    If someone ever wins a standard or modern tournament with a spider deck, is the day I give out free PS4s

oathofliliana.jpg

HUR HUR SHE SAYS HAPPY NOW BECAUSE SHE IS TOTALLY FUCKING COOL!

This is so fucking fanfictiony it hurts. I can't believe we went from Sisay to this.

Liliana is the female Dalamar the Dark...
    (Please don't quote images on the same page if you can avoid it, which you almost always can, especially if you're just going to reply with a sentence.)

Anyway, MTG Goldfish just got to the break news on whether Zombies will actually be in a thing in Standard despite the clear GW push that WotC is going for as of late. To use overused catchphrases, "we in there!":

cryptbreaker.jpg

In before "dies to exile effects" and before Jace, Vryn's Prodigy's spikes back up one last time.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    "we in there!"

I'll believe it when I see it. The card is powerful but durdly. It might be too tempo-negative. Then again it might be a key card in some sort of value-madness strategy.

In other news I just realized that Sigarda randomly counters half of Living End. Given that she also counters Annihilator and can give some trouble to Grixis and GBx, Thrun is now out of my Modern SB and Sigarda is in.
    (Please don't quote images on the same page if you can avoid it, which you almost always can, especially if you're just going to reply with a sentence.)

Anyway, MTG Goldfish just got to the break news on whether Zombies will actually be in a thing in Standard despite the clear GW push that WotC is going for as of late. To use overused catchphrases, "we in there!":

In before "dies to exile effects" and before Jace, Vryn's Prodigy's spikes back up one last time.

In before isn't there a card that states, counter target spell that targets you permanent
    (I can understand the continued reservations about Zombies as far as Standards is concerned. I still have them too. Cryptbreaker is certainly a step in the right direction though, especially given how hard they've been pushing Green and White.)

It's unlikely that (the reprint) Turn Aside is going to see any play this time around either, but we'll see now that Murder is back. Otherwise I'd basically guarantee that Invasive Surgery would be used over Turn Aside in every instance, especially since Invasive Surgery can stop all of the board wipes whereas Turn Aside fails there too.

Anyway, as the cards revealed so far today go, the only ones I'm liking are Mercurial Spirits, even though that's a generally worse Wee Dragonuts and Nivix Cyclops, and Mirrorwing Dragon. The Golgari Human Warrior didn't need to be mythic at all and Standard is currently too aggro heavy with too much casual anti-enchantment stuff for the Blue mythic to see any play until at least Dromoka's Command rotates if sees any non-casual play at all, which seems unlikely.

Oh well. At least reprint of Ride Down has cooler art and flavor text now.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • BR3N7BR3N7 All eyez on me! Joined: Posts: 2,115
    Man these spikes on City of Traitors/Serra Sanctum and Ancient Tomb are insane. Gotta unload all the Tombs I got now.

Funny looking at a new set and only looking for cards for 2 decks(Legacy and Pauper) as appose to a entire format. Oddly Chaos Reveler is a interesting and might be one card I try out tonight as it makes Dark Ritual read add 4 and Rite of Flame add 3 and might be nice against tempo decks and Miracles just for the last effect of drawing alone but would require a change to the mana base which I'm unsure I like but does make Pulverize a option again which would be nice. I mean Sphinx of the Final Word wasn't terrible and this is 5x better.
    Will this guy get play

Image.ashx?multiverseid=388&type=card
    ya legacy is dead or already dying since all the legacy prices are skyrocketing now. Miss the days when I could get wastelands for $20, and stoneforge for $5