Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,650
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Yeah, this wording issue is exactly the one I was talking about in last post of last page. There was probably some better way to word it, but the X = 0 = no triggers things seemed obvious to me until I saw confused people debating otherwise.)

Speaking of Black cards from this upcoming set, I've heard it said that Claim to Fame may well end up seeing Death's Shadow getting banned from Modern and I can't say that I would be surprised if that was the case. Honestly, good riddance if so:

claimfame.jpg

Beyond that, I will admit that I am surprised that God-Pharaoh's Gift is far more usable than I was expecting it to be given that cards that search for other cards have tended to be underwhelming, especially when split up between sets in-block:

gatetotheafterlife.jpg godpharaohsgift.jpg

That said, I have to roll my eyes at idiots saying that it's as good as busted as Aetherworks Marvel despite that card's fundamentally flawed design, even if God-Pharaoh's Gift is definitely a nice Refurbish target. This especially true since the Ulamog 2.0 example I keep seeing is far more vulnerable and able to be interacted with than just randomly plucking Ulamog 2.0 out of your library and getting its cast trigger for free as well, especially now that graveyard hate finally exists again in Standard. Fools.

FrostyAU wrote: »
    The Damned wrote: »
    (The Mono-White God Worship idea looks interesting, FrostyAU, especially since I've basically seen every other mono-color of Nykthos deck used but for some reason no White.)

Torment of Hailfire has the potential to be quite a good card, but that wording could be better. At present, it would seem a lot of people are confused as to whether or not casting it for BB where X is 0 would result in giving you one trigger or none at all. To me, it seemed obvious that paying 0 for X gave you nothing, but now I'm not entirely sure; I'm still pretty sure though.

Regardless, I'm sure that there will be some ruling on this when the set is officially released, but, yeah, seems like they could perhaps worded it more clearly, especially since all of the other cards thus far released with the word "repeat" on it both have that instruction after the initial action and aren't X cost cards.

Oh well. It's not like anything's foolproof given how foolish people can be. At least the artwork is also nice if nothing else; here's a more wallpaper-size version of the artwork if anyone cares.

The only commonly played Modern spell that kills Auriok Champion is Path. Finks die twice, Souls take 3 bolts to kill, God's don't die to much. The idea is basically that you get a Worship down and they can't clear your boardstate. Nykthos is free Ramp with a Leyline and T2 Champion. That's possibly a turn 3 Lock if they have no way to remove Champion or Worship which as a 4cmc White Enchantment isn't actually commonly removable on Modern sideboards.

Right. I had immediately ascertained that was point of the creatures in question, though as much as I like Knight of the White Orchard and realize that it serves as ramp and pseudo-card-draw, it strikes me as a bit odd if you want creatures that are all hard to kill. Hand of Honor, Knight of Glory, (main-deck) Kor Firewalker, or even the original White Knight might be better choices overall along those lines, especially with the aforementioned Death's Shadow so popular now and likely to only get more popular. Still, it's not as if Knight of the White Orchard is completely useless for reasons already mentioned, so I could see it working well enough if everything else is so difficult to kill.

Otherwise, yeah, the deck itself seems like it would be rather well-positioned right now from what relatively little I know about Modern, especially since Auriok Champion only really die to Path to Exile and Liliana of the Veil of the non-wrath cards (of which I am including Ugin's stupid ass) used in Modern to off creatures; I guess she and even Worship get destroyed by Beast within, but I'm not even sure if Lantern still plays that given how little I've seen Lantern as of late.

Regardless, I hope the deck works if you end up actually using it.

In Amonkhet there's a card that says, "a Bolas card..."
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,790
    God Pharoah's Gift with the shortcut will definitely be playable alongside cards like Cathartic Reunion and likely cycle creatures. It will be a slower, Standard version of Living End essentially.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,084
    Looking carefully at whats revealed so far in Hour of Devastation, the strongest color seems to be Green followed by Black.
    Look like I will be playing Golgari in Drafts
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,910
    I am officially putting Commander 1vs1 as my 2nd all-time favorite format. Been a week and only been playing that. So much fun and you guys should go on MTGO and give it a shot.

Was thinking about going to a pre-release tomorrow but IDK.
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    A friend just made this from the new set:

back+pyramid+mummra.jpg
    edited July 9
    Feel the wrath of Nicol Kahn!
    Feel the power of Nicol Kahn!
    I rule this world!
    I am Nicol Kahn, bow to me!

Image.ashx?multiverseid=432884&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=430829&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=432887&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=430786&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=423795&type=card

EDIT:

And then for Modern, throw in this card also:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=383412&type=card
    edited July 9
    Should Wizards of the Coast make arcade Magic games like this worldwide?

Lord_of_Vermilion_videogame_-_Taito_Station.jpg
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,016
    I'd kind of like it but they'd have to handle instants right and I'm not sure how that would be done, especially taking things like connection losses and lag into account as well as with not wanting an annoying pop-up "Do you want to respond to this" on every single move the opponent does.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    It could work. Even a different game with the Magic IP would probably be fun
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,032
    Quick question about Magic as a newbie. Say I have a total of 5 Lands out. And I summon a monster that has 2 mana cost. That means I only have 3 mana to use from that point on for my turn, correct? Then when my turn ends, all the mana reverts back to unused?
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,663 mod
    (Did Hour of Devastation on MTGO release in the middle of the week or something? Weird. Also, I really don't know what it is with some of you and quoting entire posts when you don't need to do so.)

@FatalSeabass - Your lands stay tapped until your next untap step, which in most circumstances means through your opponent's next turn. So in the situation that you detail, you would have 3 mana unused that you could use through the end of your turn and, if you have Instants or monsters with Flash or abilities that can be activated instantly that need costs, 3 mana that you could use throughout your opponent's turns as well. Only at the beginning of your next turn do you get 5 mana back since all of your tapped lands untapped. For the record, your mana isn't actually "unused" since you don't have mana until you tap lands (or activate an ability or play a spell that explictly generates mana).

Related to that, keep in mind that any mana you do generate fades away between every step. Only in that instance is it actually unused. At least you don't have to worry about mana burn anymore (even if that both somewhat screw over and slightly broke a few older cards).

It could work. Even a different game with the Magic IP would probably be fun

WotC is supposedly considering making an MMORPG akin to Neverwinter Nights or something. Or so I heard at least. I didn't bother looking into it since it didn't interest me at all.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    @The Damned: Perfect explanation. So my lands remain tapped through my opponent's phase. And I need to get that explanation in my head. My mana doesn't get used until I actually tap it.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,663 mod
    (You have to put quotes around people with spaces or punctuation in their names to devil-summon them.)

@FatalSeabass - Yes, basically that's the gist of it. I suppose I should slightly amend something I said in that you can play any card, mostly permanents, that have Flash during your opponent's turn as well given there are Enchantments with Flash as well, like the recent and more-than-decent Cast Out, and a few non-creature Artifacts. It's just that the majority of the permanents with Flash do happen to be creatures. Still, to be completely accurate given things like Leyline of Anticipation and Quicken exist and apply to even Sorceries (and Planeswalkers), I should at least acknowledge that.

Also, it will take a while to remember everything. Hell, I forget about the Upkeep step about half of the time, though it's not like I ever really get to play. Still, the Untap step is always the first thing done every turn and thus relatively easy to remember.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,910
    Sweet my skillz paid off. I knew little about Standard but Earthshaker felt SOOOO good and the thing that could make sligh red viable so when I got 1 foil on mtgo for my commander deck (all foil) I got a few extra because they were so cheap. Lets see them spike higher than 4$.
    Should Magic the Gathering, poker, and chess be classified as esports? I mean people view them as video games essentially...
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,462
    the Magic card series really is overwhelming, but its nice it has a fanbase and promotes more indepth thinking in some ways that others can improve upon
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,831 mod
    affinity wrote: »
    the Magic card series really is overwhelming, but its nice it has a fanbase and promotes more indepth thinking in some ways that others can improve upon

I've never seen somebody be so hilariously wrong in my life. :rofl:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    I just realized something, and I could be wrong, but is there no Magic card that outright destroys your enemy's lands? I see a lot of cards that destroy all your monsters but not lands.
    I just realized something, and I could be wrong, but is there no Magic card that outright destroys your enemy's lands? I see a lot of cards that destroy all your monsters but not lands.

They've been scared to print stuff like that at anything below 4cmc for a while but cards like Stone Rain exist and do that.

Realm Razor can temporarily sweep lands too, but they come back when it dies.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Iduno wrote: »

They've been scared to print stuff like that at anything below 4cmc for a while but cards like Stone Rain exist and do that.

Ah I see. You probably know but is the reason that it would be too strong? I know about the significance of lands but isn't that the reason why 1/3 of your deck are land cards? To compensate for various spells, effects, etc. I thought the same way about cards that destroy all your creatures but those don't seem too bad since most of them have a considerable cost or asking price.
    edited July 18

latest?cb=20140822134649&path-prefix=it

There is also combos like
    Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite with Natural Affinity
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    Wizards wont print one sided land wrath effects barring taking setup like Ajani Vengeant.

Things like Boil/Tsunami/Ruination/From the Ashes are usually one sided but situational.
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,382

Ah I see. You probably know but is the reason that it would be too strong? I know about the significance of lands but isn't that the reason why 1/3 of your deck are land cards? To compensate for various spells, effects, etc. I thought the same way about cards that destroy all your creatures but those don't seem too bad since most of them have a considerable cost or asking price.

There's is cards like wasteland too(that is basically free land removal).
    5789_200w.jpg

Typically the main draw to these types of cards is to take your opponent off of a color, making it harder(or impossible)for them to cast their spells. The dominant decks are multicolor and playing lands that tap for colorless sticks you into playing monocolor. Land destruction/prevention is typically an antimeta choice.

Another piece to this type of strategy is to not need land yourself and playing cheap(mana cost) or free creatures. It takes advantage of the fact that other decks have to play more expensive cards than you to win and therefore you make sure they stay behind.

Typically you'd see this style of card in a deck like this that allows you to prevent your opponent's plays while getting a free board state.
    11608_200w.jpg
    As you'd assume, this strategy loses to decks that don't need land to win but there aren't many decks that exist to fit that criteria. Still, you have to stuff bricky hate cards in your 60 in order to not be caught off guard.

This strategy is too strong for grindy 'land, go' mid-range metas, which is common in standard. That's why Wizards typically don't print these types of cards, especially now.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    Awesome. Once again, thanks guys.
    Seabass, you're in the discord all day, just @ me with questions.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,476
    @The Damned: Perfect explanation. So my lands remain tapped through my opponent's phase. And I need to get that explanation in my head. My mana doesn't get used until I actually tap it.

You seem to have a slight misunderstanding, so let me give you a tip. Your lands are separate from your mana. You can tap lands to make mana, and they remain tapped until they are untapped somehow (usually by your next turn's untap step). Your mana sits unused until the current turn's next phase. If you make mana in your first main phase, and don't use up all of it by the time you move to attack, it just goes away. 99% of the time you only tap lands to make mana when you're ready to use that mana, so the distinction doesn't matter too much. Sometimes though you have lands that make lots of mana in one go. So maybe you tap Gaea's Cradle and make 10 mana at once. If you only use six of that mana by the next phase, the remaining four mana just goes disappears.

WotC used to print lots of cards that destroyed lands, but they don't do that so much anymore. Basically they lead to games where one player can't cast anything and it's no fun. Land destruction cards are common in formats that use cards from all throughout MtG's history and it's not unusual at all for games to end on turn one or two because one player had his land destroyed and was unable to cast anything until he died.

In other news, I went undefeated in my first FNM in a long while. Played a deck with zero new cards, LOL.

MD:
    4Blisterpod
    4Loam Dryad
    4Scrapheap Scrounger
    4Zulaport Cutthroat
    4Duskwatch Recruiter
    4Catacomb Sifter
    3Bontu the Glorified
    3Yahenni, Undying Partisan
    4Vizier of the Menagerie
    4Cryptolith Rite
    5Swamp
    7Forest
    4Blooming Marsh
    2Hissing Quagmire
    4Westvale Abbey

SB:
    4Manglehorn
    2Noxious Gearhulk
    3Distended Mindbender
    4Lifecrafter’s Bestiary
    2Ob Nixilis Reignited

Deck worked great. Several games were won without attacking. The only change I can think of based on the experience would be to swap one Distended Mindbender for a Hissing Quagmire.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    Blood Moon doesn't destroy their lands but severely cripples a lot of decks while not bothering the decks that tend to run it at all.
    Blood Moon doesn't destroy their lands but severely cripples a lot of decks while not bothering the decks that tend to run it at all.

Blood Moon was a mistake.
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »

Blood Moon was a mistake.

It was but at the same time it helps keep other mistakes like Tron honest.
    BR3N7 wrote: »
    Wizards wont print one sided land wrath effects barring taking setup like Ajani Vengeant.

Things like Boil/Tsunami/Ruination/From the Ashes are usually one sided but situational.

Back in the day we had Land Destruction decks.

Strip Mine
    Stone Rain
    Sinkhole
    Choking Sands
    Thermokarst
    Fissure
    Ice Storm

And a few others that destroyed target lands...

It's the same idea as Deadpool's cancer preventing his aggressive healing factor from making him explode.
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »

It's the same idea as Deadpool's cancer preventing his aggressive healing factor from making him explode.

This post is rated chimichangas.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Whenever someone tells me that Wasteland helps keep Legacy honest, or that Blood Moon helps keep Modern honest, I remember this scene:

Speaking of Blood Moon. What happens when Blood Moon and Conversion are in play? Do they cancel each other out???
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Speaking of Blood Moon. What happens when Blood Moon and Conversion are in play? Do they cancel each other out???

The one who gets played later takes priority,
    Been watching a lot of tournaments and I was wondering whether or not Eldrazi decks are still very strong in modern day Magic?
    Been watching a lot of tournaments and I was wondering whether or not Eldrazi decks are still very strong in modern day Magic?

yep, there are a couple of different versions. The most common one (and I believe top tier) is a combination of eldrazi and death and taxes. You run creatures that disrupt your opponent and then big ass eldrazis that disrupt and beat down.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/eldrazi-and-taxes-in-modern/
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Eldrazi are definitely still around. Bant Eldrazi gets played still but the really popular versions right now are Eldrazi Taxes and EldraziTron which is a colourless deck that runs Tron lands, Eldrazi temples and Chalice of the Void.
    So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Magic set so that I can participate at my local's weekend events. Of course, I want the best chance of winning but what pack would you recommend I start with? Reminder that I have zero cards and want a place to begin where I can also have a competitive deck to work with. I took a peek at some of these Eldrazi decks and they are well over 500 dollars for a deck. I don't have it like that but what would you guys recommend?
    So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Magic set so that I can participate at my local's weekend events. Of course, I want the best chance of winning but what pack would you recommend I start with? Reminder that I have zero cards and want a place to begin where I can also have a competitive deck to work with. I took a peek at some of these Eldrazi decks and they are well over 500 dollars for a deck. I don't have it like that but what would you guys recommend?

Its easier if you tell us what your budget is.

Fair warning, if you ever complained about having to buy a new version of an FG a year later, this is really not the hobby for you. :rofl:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Pertho wrote: »

Its easier if you tell us what your budget is.

Fair warning, if you ever complained about having to buy a new version of an FG a year later, this is really not the hobby for you. :rofl:

Minimum you probably want a few hundred dollars. There are some incredibly cheap budget decks but even if you build one you'll probably want to play more than one deck.

That's the thing with Magic, you're never finished, there are always new projects and decks.

You can hold creatures back in your hand to avoid and play around sweepers, holding back lands in case you get swept would just get you overrun whilst your opponent continues to curve out ahead of you and play better threats than you can.

Also, land sweepe

What do you mean buy a magic set, like you talking singles or packets here?

Also what format you looking at, modern or standard?
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 124
    Modern would be the best bet to get into. Yes expensive at first but cards hold their value better than standard with it's rotations.
    Or alternatively install xmage and see if that's better for you(no $$ involved)

Just 2 cents from a guy who doesnt have a lgs to go to (closest is 2 hours away in 3 of 4 cardinal directions)and just have a playgroup.
    It depends, with how viable eldrazi are in modern atm if he builds some kind of x/colourless standard deck using the matter reshaper,thoughtknot,reality smasher package they'll transfer right over to modern post rotation.

The trick to doing standard cheaply is to not sit around waiting to netdeck but to look at upcoming sets and pre-order the good cards before they appear at a pro tour and the zerg rush pushes the price through the roof.

Also look at standard cards with an eye to "Will this be good in modern" when dropping any kind of money on them.

As long as you do both of those things it's possible to play standard without pissing too much money away come rotation.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    My budget is like 300ish but I told Pertho that I wanted to have a Tarmagoyf deck. He lol'd me. >.>
    Yeah 300 won't even cover the goyfs.

Basically before even building a modern deck you're probably looking at a fair whack just for the landbase, even making do with fastlands over shocklands and fetches can be fairly expensive.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Decide if you want to play fast or slow. Fast is easier but not easy. You can build a competitive deck like Burn for 300 dollars in mono red. What colour is your favourite?
    I am really liking Black and Blue.
    Black Zombies or Devotion could be done on a budget.

Blue is probably the hardest colour for new players.

If you're trying to keep cost down look at what works well in 1 or 2 colours as land drives up the price of decks massively. Mono-colour decks tend to be cheaper.
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 124
    I don't know how viable an infect deck is anymore post fatal push but blue green infect is fairly budget friendly and was quite effective. Excluding the obvious Noble hierarch for budgeting reasons (like 60-80 a pop).