Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,512
    Remember when MtG players could put their differences aside and get along in their shared interest of playing cards? Seems like a million years ago now.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    Jesus fuck, M:TG can't have low key drama ever, can it?

Wtf did the dude actually say in his vid?
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That MTG headquarters guy always came off as an asshole anyway. If his videos weren't just plain box openings they were whine fests about why his channel wasn't doing well, or whine fests about how he gets hated on because free speech means people shouldn't care when he says something offensive.

Don't get me wrong I'm all about saying whatever the fuck you want, but don't be surprised when that speech has negative consequences on you.
    My personal take on this whole thing is that MtG as a whole does NOT have a harassment problem (at least relative to other gaming communities). People are mostly decent, if not downright nice. However there is an amplification effect where the closer you get to a perfectly good community, the more people get angry over small, relatively inconsequential things.

Like that MtGHQ guy. His videos, to me, are crap. His attitude, to me, is bad. But if MtGHQ is an example of the worst MtG has to offer then I think we're doing pretty well. Those screenshots of harassment that are floating around on Reddit are pretty bad, but I get similar messages regularly just playing ranked online (disclaimer: I get waaaaay less of these when playing against Japanese players).

Remember when Travis Woo went on a weird tangent about nazis? That was bad, but clearly he's just a dude who read a book and wound up over-thinking things. The way people reacted you'd think Trav was an actual factual nazi. The community has lost its sense of perspective, making mountains out of molehills. It's starting here too, in polite and friendly Japan. People are starting to act like having anime sleeves or playmats is just as bad as that whole drama with Sprankle and MtGHQ.

Inb4 people call you a nazi who should be banned for flicking through your cards while playing. Who will be the first prominent MtG personality to quit over the opponent celebrating too excitedly after a match?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,305
    edited November 29
    Its a Shame, Spankle is the mother of MTG Cosplay

“Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,261
    Pertho wrote: »
    Ultra Pro's old metallics were the best. But then the companies always diversify into some shitty inferior textured product that is invariably shittier tham the originals.

Metallic Blue > *

I still have and use sleeves from the 1990s that I've been using. No rips or tears on the sleeves. The sleeves still work!
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,707
    edited November 29
    Recently got into making mtg proxies to ease of my edh budget lol. group I play with is actually super chill about it lol...
    Today started trying foil ones. First one(elesh) was a bit wonky, but starting to get a feel for it lol.
    WcWztkc.jpg
    FlqozkP.jpg
    CHdIagZ.jpg
    FGgQS9j.jpg
    CFN-Unlimited_RiBu. MvCI-Hunter/Dante
    Ed_SFV Discord: https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

• The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,980 mod
    (*wonders how much you've triggered Pertho by embedding that*)

So...I came back to 17 posts, meaning I thought something important had happened, but apparently it's just more over-sensitive stuff spreading further through the community.

Sigh. I can't say I'm surprised given the way of humanity and of the world as of late.

Anyway, having done more research last night, I at least finally now know why the Coldsnap expansion set is legal in Modern despite technically being part of the ancient Ice Age block and neither Ice Age expansion nor Alliances being so.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    I gotta say I respect EDH decks with proxies more than ones without. Especially dual land proxies. If your EDH deck has original duals you are just hurting Legacy.
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    I gotta say I respect EDH decks with proxies more than ones without. Especially dual land proxies. If your EDH deck has original duals you are just hurting Legacy.

Legacy just hurts it self.
    Darksakul wrote: »

True, but I don't want it to die.

Legacy performs a key role in MtG, acting as a quarantine for the smuggest members of the community. If Legacy were to die out the influx of smugness coming from former Legacy aficionados moving over to Modern or Standard will put the health of those formats at risk.
    The WoTC stuff is honestly complicated to all shit and not even fun to talk about. I started a reply for one of Ukyo's posts and then said fuck it.

TL;DR of it is: M:TG didn't really have a overarching culture, just a bunch of geographically enclosed ones (stores), because of that people were wild in some places but not in others (good stores and wack stores) so now WoTC is trying to force everything into a certain franchise way of handling things. They can apply a lot of pressure by being the hot ticket item at every game shop so you kinda have to bend to them and whatever nonsense walks out of their asses. Yes, they went about everything in the shittiest possible way (and I mean this in the most generous, nicest way possible). Its legit easier to answer questions than to go through how bad their decision making is. Blame pseudo feminists and "smart" nerds who think they know better than the rest.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Legacy performs a key role in MtG, acting as a quarantine for the smuggest members of the community. If Legacy were to die out the influx of smugness coming from former Legacy aficionados moving over to Modern or Standard will put the health of those formats at risk.

First thing I always asks dicks I meet when playing MtG is what's their favorite legacy deck...

Stasis?
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,630

Wouldn't they fall back to Vintage?
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    edited November 29
    ribu wrote: »
    First thing I always asks dicks I meet when playing MtG is what's their favorite legacy deck...

I don't usually play Legacy, but when I do I play Dredge. Dredge is the deck Legacy deserves.
    Infernoman wrote: »

What is this "Vintage" you speak of?

I don't usually play Legacy, but when I do I play Dredge. Dredge is the deck Legacy deserves.

What is this "Vintage" you speak of?

Vintage is Legacy if Legacy grew balls
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,273
    edited November 29
    Legacy is a fun format, though. I wish I could play it more often. That being said, my investment in magic went down a lot. I'm going to an fnm like twice a month now and I hardly buy anything. It doesn't help that my local community almost died. A couple of guys are trying to resuscitate it, I'm helping when I can, but the problem is - very little new blood. We are the same guys we're playing for the past 3-4 years. All this Pc nonsense doesn't make me to enthusiastic about mtg, either.

On the positive side, I play more EDh nowadays. We run strong decks now, competitive/semicompetitive, no more casual nonsense - which is good, because the whole "EDH is casual" and the social contract turned me off whenever I played edh. Now I'm running a Karador list with Boonweaver combo - yummy

In standard I'm playing the Gift deck - boy I just love this cute combo deck. Too bad it can be easily hated out, but the deck is super fun

Emanuelb wrote: »
    Legacy is a fun format, though. I wish I could play it more often. That being said, my investment in magic went down a lot. I'm going to an fnm like twice a month now and I hardly buy anything. It doesn't help that my local community almost died. A couple of guys are trying to resuscitate it, I'm helping when I can, but the problem is - very little new blood. We are the same guys we're playing for the past 3-4 years. All this Pc nonsense doesn't make me to enthusiastic about mtg, either.

On the positive side, I play more EDh nowadays. I have strong decks now, competitive/semicompetitive, no more casual nonsense - which is good, because the whole "EDH is casual" and the social contract turned me off whenever I played edh. Now I'm running a Karador list with Boonweaver combo - yummy

In standard I'm playing the Gift deck - boy I just love this cute combo deck. Too bad it can be easily hated out, but the deck is super fun

EDH is the only reason I am still in magic
    Hmmm... looks like MagicTCG reddit started doing that thing where they auto-ban you if they detect that you're subscribed to a subreddit they don't like. Since I am subscribed to a variety of liberal, libertarian and conservative subreddits I am 99% sure I am auto-banned there as of now. Came at a good time too. I literally just unsubbed from it two days ago.

If WotC spent half as much effort on QA as they did trying to preserve ideological purity in the community maybe the cards wouldn't have become so bendy. Seriously why are non-foil cards bending now?
    edited November 30
    Emanuelb wrote: »

On the positive side, I play more EDh nowadays. I have strong decks now, competitive/semicompetitive, no more casual nonsense - which is good, because the whole "EDH is casual" and the social contract turned me off whenever I played edh. Now I'm running a Karador list with Boonweaver combo - yummy

EDH is the only reason I am still in magic

EDH completely revitalized my interest in MtG again after a thousand years of seeing Gideon Ally of Zendikar in standard killed it...
    I do think the "casual" aspect of it makes it so worth doing. Even people that tote their Legacy priced deck can hold that L every now and then.
    Think there's really only a handful of things in EDH I hate...mikaeus the unhallowed, VialSmasher/Thrasios, Notion Thief, Dragons in 4+player games...

edited November 30
    Seriously why are non-foil cards bending now?
    That is actually been a thing for a while now.
    I want to say we been seeing the issue since Theros Block.

At its Mostly US cards, what ever production facility that makes Japanese cards are not having as server as a issue.

Look at all the bad prints in Kaladesh, since when there that many misprints allowed in a single set?
    When i was drafting Kaladesh and every 3rd card has a fucked up border.
    At its Mostly US cards, what ever production facility that makes Japanese cards are not having as server as a issue.

I live in Japan and did not notice a problem until someone sent me some english cards as a gift so I thought this was relatively new.

Nice but also kinda pointless, as I am in a play group that don't even allow proxies, not even gold border.

Also here is a clip from Wizards R&D testing the Nerf War Card

I think it's sort of neat. Will probably make the set have actual value though, outside the lands.
    Looking over the generals...
    Phoebe and Grusilda strike me as the two most powerful, with X being something I would want to shove into Taigam lol...

edited December 3
    Anyone know a Josh from Card Kingdom (Western WA)? He may or may not buy my cards...

Also from this website:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/card-authentication/785212-fake-timetwister
    Quote from frog_eater »
    Well, too late, it has been sold to someone else.
    Welp, given how the prices are exploding, it was prolly my last chance to get one at a "decent" price, I'll never have one now. :p
    I'm not exactly willing to pay 600€+ in a card :/

Quote from SavannahLion »
    Yeah... Vintage card prices have gone completely bonkers. Even Legacy card prices are reaching a point where I don't really want to play with so much money on a table. If I wanted to have $5,000 or more on a table at any given time, I'd go play Baccarat.

lol
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,360 admin
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Anyone know a Josh from Card Kingdom (Western WA)? He may or may not buy my cards...
    Probably. That's pretty random. Good guy.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good."

• BR3N7BR3N7 All eyez on me! Joined: Posts: 2,180
    edited December 3
    No I know a Jimmy from Card Court in Southern WA. Terrible Guy!

The buy-in is high but my cards have the same value and in most cases have gone up since purchase. I have not played in 4 months and my cards are worth more collecting dust. I have spent maybe 5$ this year on cards I actually needed. If you got the upfront money Legacy is easily the best format.

BR3N7 wrote: »
    The buy-in is high but my cards have the same value and in most cases have gone up since purchase.

This is relevant if you are in a place with a decent playerbase and access to buyers. I know someone who used to have a Jeskai Stoneblade deck and tried to cash out of Legacy. Couldn't find a buyer. Had to buylist it and take a sizable loss in terms of paper value vs what he actually got.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 All eyez on me! Joined: Posts: 2,180
    Your the Japan guy right? Almost every major city in the states has a FB group/local scene for Magic they can sell local too for 95% of market. I have sold many to my local peeps for just under market.

Yes if you live in some isolated place where you lack a local sale option this would cost you at most 15% more.

Still lets say my deck cost me 1,500USD and I have to take a break due to work and its still gains 5%.
    So your up 75$
    You deck is now worth 1575 and even if you have to sell at -15% your at 1338. So you only lose $162 worst case scenario which is still less than ANY standard playable deck I am sure and could easily of lasted you a year minimum. So $13.50 a month to play magic?

You won any events/weekly and got credit working for you than this would be even better since it could offset loss.

• InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,630
    edited December 4
    Has anyone here ever played at the competitive level. I ain't got the cash for it but I was curious from anyone's experience what it's like.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    edited December 4
    Has anyone here ever played at the competitive level. I ain't got the cash for it but I was curious from anyone's experience what it's like.

Not as bad as it used to be; because it used to be that you were going to meet the most unlikeable people on the fucking planet. Now you get to meet some of the most unlikeable people on the planet.

:rofl:
    Post edited by Pertho on
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

(*is reading that as a virginity joke for some reason*)

Since we're asking questions about the game, I have to ask something I've been curious ever since EDH came up a couple of weeks ago: Is mono-Red still generally the worst color in EDH? I'm guessing there's a resounding "yes" there.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Every time I play draft, I choose mono-white. Seems like mono-white doesn't work too well in draft as opposed to other mono colors.
    The Damned wrote: »

Since we're asking questions about the game, I have to ask something I've been curious ever since EDH came up a couple of weeks ago: Is mono-Red still generally the worst color in EDH? I'm guessing there's a resounding "yes" there.

I'd argue mono white is the worst...but red is right there with it...
    Red has norin, zada, daretti, and purphoros off the time of my head.
    White has Elesh and Sram and Heliod type decks off top of my head...and is very hard to take control of a board in multiplayer games.

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,425
    Man fuck bearer of silence's ability being triggered instead of activated that's some bullshit.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    (What prompted this outburst?)

I guess I could see mono-White still being the worst despite being able to get rid of enchantments given its general defensive nature unless you're going wide and it tendency to be unable to draw cards, which even Red can do. I find it weird that supposedly one of its weaknesses is an inability to take control of a board, though, even in multiplayer given White has the most wrath effects.

Regardless, I asked about Red in part because I remembered that supposed combo with the Undead version of Neheb. Also because in making a set/block, Red honestly seems the most difficult color to design for given the linearity of most of its non-chaotic effects.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • King of penguinsKing of penguins Joined: Posts: 409

I'd argue mono white is the worst...but red is right there with it...
    Red has norin, zada, daretti, and purphoros off the time of my head.
    White has Elesh and Sram and Heliod type decks off top of my head...and is very hard to take control of a board in multiplayer games.

if i remember, White had some Avacyn commander weenie decks. that could really be a pain in the ass.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,425
    (What prompted this outburst?)

I guess I could see mono-White still being the worst despite being able to get rid of enchantments given its general defensive nature unless you're going wide and it tendency to be unable to draw cards, which even Red can do. I find it weird that supposedly one of its weaknesses is an inability to take control of a board, though, even in multiplayer given White has the most wrath effects.

Regardless, I asked about Red in part because I remembered that supposed combo with the Undead version of Neheb. Also because in making a set/block, Red honestly seems the most difficult color to design for given the linearity of most of its non-chaotic effects.

Urgh was looking at things to add to my G/B Eldrazi and it seemed perfect for it, like a Gatekeeper of Malakir who's traded in 1 point of toughness and the ability to block for an uncounterable edict effect and flying.

Turns out the ability to pay the cost on cast is a trigger ability though so Eldrazi Temple can't pay for it, seems kind of counter intuitive to have an ability which is entirely based around the card it's on requiring nothing to happen to make it go off be a triggered ability instead of an activated ability.

It's bad enough when Wizards pander to people getting triggered by nothing without the actual cardboard getting triggered by nothing too.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file