Magic the Gathering Thread

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,512
    BR3N7 wrote: »
    Your the Japan guy right? Almost every major city in the states has a FB group/local scene for Magic they can sell local too for 95% of market. I have sold many to my local peeps for just under market.

Some differences for the Japanese scene are:
    1. A lot of Japanese players are extremely finicky about card condition. Many would pay full-price from the card shop for mint condition rather than save 50% off on a slightly played card with a nick or two here and there. I am extremely careful about shuffling my decks and I always double-sleeve, but every trade still takes forever as each card is examined with care to ensure that there are no dent or scratches rendering it worthless.
    2. Pretty much every card shop in Japan forbids trading within the premises. You can only trade at events like GPs, or you could go outside to do it but this is generally seen as disrespectful to the shop.
    3. Japanese players know both of the above, so most don't even bother to bring trades or ask to look at your binder. They just stockpile cards until they have too many then sell everything to the shop at a 50% or more value loss.
    4. You could also sell at yahoo auctions (ebay is no bueno here) but people only pay via bank transfer there which is quite inconvenient and you don't get much of a benefit over just buylisting to a shop. Maybe you make 10-20% more.

So basically in Japan if you spend $1500 on a deck you'd be lucky to get $600 cashing out of it. More likely you'd get $400 and have a bunch of cards leftover no one really wants. When I want to cash out of a deck I just sell it on ebay, but then I have to contend with all the other ebay sellers and have to slash prices there too.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    You never really get full value out of cards unless its in trade. Otherwise sale value usually is 20 to 40% off of listing. Not a bad thing but just how things funxtion in practice.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,261
    Pertho wrote: »
    You never really get full value out of cards unless its in trade. Otherwise sale value usually is 20 to 40% off of listing. Not a bad thing but just how things funxtion in practice.

Unless the cards are from 1993 - 1995
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,305
    So i want to put a Jin-Gitaxias into my Jhoira EDH, but I am not sure what to take out for it.

Here is the Deck list.
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jhoira-wibbily-wobbily/
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,707
    edited December 7
    Darksakul wrote: »
    So i want to put a Jin-Gitaxias into my Jhoira EDH, but I am not sure what to take out for it.

Here is the Deck list.

Guildmage imo...

There's a dude in my play-group who use Jhoira with land destruction/extra turns package. One of the most frustrating decks to deal with if you don't kill it asap lol.
    CFN-Unlimited_RiBu. MvCI-Hunter/Dante
    Ed_SFV Discord: https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

ribu wrote: »

Here is the Deck list.

Guildmage imo...

There's a dude in my play-group who use Jhoira with land destruction/extra turns package. One of the most frustrating decks to deal with if you don't kill it asap lol.

Extra Turns and Land destruction is not forbidden but heavily discouraged in my local play group.
    We do a scoring system which includes points for defeating an opponent, being the first out, beating a top tier opponent (we call them bounties), and a number of other things
    There negative points for taking more than 5 minuets a turn, taking each extra turn , destruction of non-utility lands, and knocking someone out before the 5th turn.
    So Wizards started their Starter Set, which is their Welcome deck in a retail packaging for MRSP of $9.99

So we are selling free shit to unsuspecting people who don't know better now?
    So Wizards started their Starter Set, which is their Welcome deck in a retail packaging for MRSP of $9.99

So we are selling free shit to unsuspecting people who don't know better now?

There is like no middle ground for mtg side products lately lol...either amazing or horrendous

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,484
    edited December 7

Here is the Deck list.

Guildmage imo...

Extra Turns and Land destruction is not forbidden but heavily discouraged in my local play group.
    We do a scoring system which includes points for defeating an opponent, being the first out, beating a top tier opponent (we call them bounties), and a number of other things
    There negative points for taking more than 5 minuets a turn, taking each extra turn , destruction of non-utility lands, and knocking someone out before the 5th turn.

We also added negative points for infinite loops at our place, meant people had to work slightly harder for their combos.

I sold my Prossh-deck a few months ago, I think my modern-deck is going the same way. Haven't used it for ages.
    Thinking bout unloading my Sliver EDH deck, shit aint that fun lol.
    Looks like I can get about $150 starcity credit for the stuff I'm looking to get rid of.
    Anyone have an edh suggestion?

Looks like I can get about $150 starcity credit for the stuff I'm looking to get rid of.

For slivers or a new Deck?

a new deck.
    I've been running Primal Surge Slivers, but i think it's runn its course for me lol

• odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 7

a new deck.
    I've been running Primal Surge Slivers, but i think it's runn its course for me lol

How bout Thraximundar
    thraximundar-cropped.jpg

I would run a Rooftop Storm in the deck as well.
    You may pay 0 rather than pay mana cost for Zombie creature spells you cast.

a new deck.

How bout Thraximundar
    thraximundar-cropped.jpg

Yo I can get down on that, already working on Inalia ETB so picking up Grixis lands lol...
    What does red give it over UB and just going like G-Twins or Scarab God for Zombies?

• The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,980 mod
    (I imagine it would mostly just be direct burn to the face, though Black technically has that, so my only other guess is having access to the 23 other Red Zombies that you wouldn't otherwise have in just Blue & Black.

Also, wow, I finally figured out how to make the URL function work with those damn Gatherer search links. Thank Athena.)

Just had a random thought: has the Frontier format that Japan proposed earlier this year (?) actually taken off or something? I ask because I haven't heard anything about it at all since the first time it was mentioned here, but every time I go to Deckstats.net I notice that everything past M15 that isn't in Standard is marked as Frontier despite the fact that it hasn't gotten out of its way to clearly make things for Pauper or Commander.

Besides that, I just going to take the time to post another weird Green card I came across in spoilers just because I am tired of having that tab open in incognito:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=1781&type=card

Finally, since we're talking about EDH still, it occurred to me that as "meh" as I found the card upon its spoiler reveal and still do find it--well, technically them--as a card, Mina and Denn, Wildborn might make a pretty decent Commander in an Elf Tribal deck that's interested in putting the Fireball in "Elfball" as well utilizing Landfall. At the very least, they seem like a better commander than Radha for that purpose and less likely to be looked at than pretty every other Legendary Elf without being as overpowered as some of them are.

Then again, I am the same person who somewhat wants to play (read: think about) Bladewing the Risen now just because it apparently dropped to Uncommon status in Iconic Masters; so did Rosheen Meanderer for that matter.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse

a new deck.

How bout Thraximundar
    thraximundar-cropped.jpg

Yo I can get down on that, already working on Inalia ETB so picking up Grixis lands lol...
    What does red give it over UB and just going like G-Twins or Scarab God for Zombies?

I used the Red as a means of running stuff like Mogis, God of Slaughter as well as the occasional burn spell.

I also have a Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos and Butcher of Malakir as well as Sheoldred, Whispering One, Slave of Bolas, and Torment of Hailfire as a means of feeding Thraximundar.
    Make players sac their own field and make Thraximundar huge as possible, as anytime someone sacs a permanent Thraximundar gets bigger.

Thraximundar himself forces players to sac before blockers are declared.

Rest of the deck is built as Voltron/Zombie Tribal

This sets my mind ablaze at what deck I can build to efficiently and consistently go into infinite negative points...

Stax.
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »

This sets my mind ablaze at what deck I can build to efficiently and consistently go into infinite negative points...

Stax.

I used to have a Nath Stax deck actually lol...
    Also a solid idea lol

ukyo_rulz wrote: »

Stax.

A Captain Sisay EDH Deck with Elesh Norn and Living Plane to wipe out all opponent lands
    Include Sigarda Host of Herons, Gaddock Teeg, Linvala Keeper of Silence, Mirri Weatherlight Duelist, Vorinclex Voice of Hunger, and Avacyn Angel of Hope for WG Lockout Controll
    A Captain Sisay EDH Deck

It would need to have Desolation Angel as that is my favorite art of all time.
    This need to be a thing

Color shifted Elspeth and Liliana

1398466739587.jpg
    (...I'm going to take the lack of reply to mean that no one else has heard anything about Frontier actually going in real life outside of Japan either.)

Amusingly, I could actually see the above picture happening, especially given all the vitriol that Gideon has had heaped on him as late. His obnoxious domination of Standard until very recently means that he's probably more kill-able than Jace at this point; not that he always wasn't since Jace is basically a Creator's Pet even moreso than the Gatewatch as a whole. So all it would really take for that to happen is for Gideon to sacrifice himself "nobly", Liliana to finish up killing her other two demons so that Jace's dick can save her, and for Erebos to eventually revive Elspeth in goth form in a bid either to remove Heliod's tyrannous ass or to stave off an invasion by New Phyrexia (or both).

Still, I'm conflicted. While having Elspeth back would be nice, and in Black no less (which would even make sense given all the crap she's been through), condemning her to fate of being part of something as lame as The Gatewatch just seems another unnecessary misery heaped upon her.

That said, I just realized that if Gideon does it bite and all of the above happens, then provided neither Chandra nor Nissa get replaced (by a guy), Jace ends up getting a harem.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Frontier Was invented by Japanese game stores so they can move their "old" stock. As Vintage and Legacy kinda hard to play in Japan, and Modern rarely sees play.
    Japan lacks many of the older sets, so standard was the only format out there and Japan needed a non-rotating format.
    (No, I already know why Frontier exists. I was asking if it had taken off in popularity, particularly outside of Japan. As I said in the last post, I take the silence to mean it didn't since I haven't heard anyone in here talk about since its initial announcement.)

Anyway, since we're still apparently talking about EDH, I have to ask another question: generally, what's the "easiest" way to get into it? I assume it's, of course, to play some type of Blue deck, but beyond that and staying from obviously bad cards, it seems very much to choice unless even if you're being ultra-"competitive" and trying to go for the most broken stuff right out the gate.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    edited December 10
    The Damned wrote: »
    (No, I already know why Frontier exists. I was asking if it had taken off in popularity, particularly outside of Japan. As I said in the last post, I take the silence to mean it didn't since I haven't heard anyone in here talk about since its initial announcement.)

Anyway, since we're still apparently talking about EDH, I have to ask another question: generally, what's the "easiest" way to get into it? I assume it's, of course, to play some type of Blue deck, but beyond that and staying from obviously bad cards, it seems very much to choice unless even if you're being ultra-"competitive" and trying to go for the most broken stuff right out the gate.

Frontier is a format to play stupid standard decks of the past 3 years imo...

Easiest way into EDH is either buy a pre-con you like, or think of colors/theme you like in constructed and go from there. Try using what you might already have from standard/modern/legacy and work around that as well.

I love Sultai, but I don't like the generals too much. I love Damia, but haven't been able to find someone irl who has one lol. And Leovold is banned.

Huh. I hadn't realized there are only five Sultai Commanders--technically just four with Leovold banned--given how I usually don't pay much attention to anything beyond dual-colors. I did at least remember that Leovold was banned after thinking about him when I mentioned Mina and Denn, Wildborn earlier and then double checking Gatherer to see what was actually banned, even if I had to do it in a bit of a backwards way that makes me suspect I am still missing something that is actually banned. I will admit that I laughed upon seeing him there, but then shook my head at Derevi's seemingly supremely obnoxious ass still not being banned. Oh well, at least one form of Emrakul got banned, which I had forgotten even though I am still find it weird that both versions weren't banned even if Aeons Torn is overall the dumber card.

Still, you're not in love with The Mimeoplasm like apparently everyone else though, ribu?

Anyway, noted. I guess that makes the Budget Commander update articles that MTGGoldfish do more useful than I thought, though the second-to-last one that I randomly clicked on last night was already proving that by making me realize that Inalla's Eminence ability is completely absurd--damn overpowered Wizard Commanders.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Leovold has a lot of ways to make opponents never have cards in hand/potentially just have completely dead draws while making you have card advantage for doing so. He's a super unfun commander to have to deal with.

Nah I'm not really a fan of mimeoplasm lol. I used to have Mimeoplasm Infect on mtgo, but it was't a fun deck lol.
    Can also do Partner commanders which would let you run the crazy good
    https://magiccards.info/scans/en/c16/46.jpg
    and whoever else you want just to have more colors to work with.

Inalia is sort of meh though. I have Wizards, but the main point of the deck is just to hope you can get a Wanderwine Prophets with a copy to stick and attack...

The Damned wrote: »

I wanted to say No as I never heard anyone even talk about the format In the US. Too many other formats like EDH/Commander, pauper, cube and such already filling that void.
    Frontier is like that format no one in the US asked for or ever wanted.
    Here in Japan Frontier is still alive and occupies a popularity level roughly higher than Vintage but lower than Legacy. Some areas are a lot more active with it than others.
    Easiest way into EDH is either buy a pre-con you like, or think of colors/theme you like in constructed and go from there.

Would like to second this. EDH precons are probably the only WotC product worth the sticker price.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 All eyez on me! Joined: Posts: 2,180
    Hmmm so Grand Prix Phoenix is now Modern and on my B-Day weekend. With 3 months to at least get behind a deck I see no reason not to play this format for a bit.

Right now I am leaning:

U/R Storm
    Pillowfort/Lantern/Mono Red Moon
    Mill
    Humans
    Protean Hulk
    or something I just throw together.

good but not overplayed decks.
    (I'd say go with Storm, but I'm biased towards that deck. To be real, any deck that can main deck Blood Moon is probably a safer bet though, especially if that five-color Humans deck is still popular in that amount of time and the second Ixalan set doesn't that deck a Human that can deal with Enchantments.)

I see with regards to Frontier and EDH, thanks guys. I had forgotten that you were in Japan (still), ukyo_rulz.

For the record, ribu, I wasn't trying to say that Derevi was broken as Leovold, especially since I admittedly get Leovold and Edric confused and thus constantly forget that Leovold limits card drawing to one per turn, which explains the perma-Hellbent you're talking about in reference to him. I was merely lamenting that Derevi wasn't also banned because Derevi just seemingly supremely obnoxious, at least 1v1, given how WotC made the pseudo-cast from the commander zone ability not scale with the tax. That wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't something with evasion in flying that taps upon entering and upon dealing damage...and couldn't also be played at instant speed. To me, it was an egregiously stupid card design decision on WoTC's part.

Anyway, Thrasios looks decent given I haven't really paid attention to any of the Partner commanders, but given how anathema to me playing three-or-more colors is in most instances, I likely wouldn't use any of them unless I was using two in the same pair. That automatically cuts me off of five of them for some reason WotC only made fifteen of them instead of twenty. On that front, Partnering Thrasios with Kydele doesn't seem that appealing, especially since I think that Simic might legitimately be my least favorite two-color combination and I'd rather just play Kruphix himself; still, it couldn't be decent, even if I'd rather play Ludevic and his Opus or the two White-Black Clerics Ravos and Tymna first--Cleric tribal yo.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Thrasios with Vial Smasher are one of the best pairs you can make imo. Issue is a lot of the pairs have almost no synergy...like Ishai and Tana

Derevi is pretty strong lol. I think it was an interesting idea for a commander design though, so I'm sort of glad Wizards didn't shove more cards like her...like they did with Eminence.

I love UR storm but its being so played its actually being gunned for. Gonna keep testing a few things and see what I like in this meta. Don't really hate Modern but its not Legacy so this makes me care and for sure gonna play in the GP this time around. I don't mind playing the longer shot underplayed deck rather than the tier 1 deck either. Like I kinda wanna play Mill cause you know its Mill but again when Storm is bringing out Leyline of Sants its hurts that deck too. First deck I am trying it RW Chalice/PW Control.
    edited December 13
    (I can understand wanting to play underdog tier decks, especially for the reason you say. Either way, good luck.)

Since I am apparently super bad at clarifying, for the record, I don't think that Derevi's activated ability is the problem in and of itself. I just think the problem with her (?) activated ability is that it has no scaling and thus completely negates the usual command drawback should she (?) die a couple of (dozen) times unlike pretty much every other commander. Even that wouldn't have been much of an issue if the activated ability's cost wasn't a mere one mana more than Derevi's actual casting cost. It just seem like a dumb, obvious oversight, with no room for it to ever actually backfire on you like how Skullbriar's ability at least can, especially when they didn't even bother to restrict its casting time. Licia, who now seems interesting to me after reading MTGGoldfish's latest Budget Commander article last night despite her being three-colors, is basically a fair take on Derevi's otherwise borderline-broken ability.

Otherwise noted about Thrasios and Vial Smasher though.
    Post edited by The Damned on

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Precons have a good deal of extra commanders who might not fit the theme the deck wants with the base, but can build into something else really cool. Might be duh, but definitely worth mentioning lol.

I get where you are coming from on the Derevi thing. Was mostly saying I thought it was an interesting way to use the Commander mechanic, making an alternate way to bring them in. But instant speed that gets around the general tax and other casting restrictions is extremely powerful, and the only way to balance any future cards to have that ability is to increase the cost with each activation.

Like I think Mathas, Fiend Seeker is a terrible fit for a Edgar Markov EDH, but Mathas makes a really good commander if you want to do a Bounty/political deck.
    Then the new EDH curses actually makes sense.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,425
    Damn just rediscovered kor/allies.

Is it good? Probably not.

Is it fun to attach captain's claws to either Kazandu Blademaster or Armaments Master and swing for stupid? Hell yeah.

On a more serious note vampires is starting to look real close to getting strong now.

We got Lacerator and Viscious Conquistador as above average 1 drops as well as Fatal Push removal.

We have Gifted Aetherborne giving us lifelink and deathtouch on 2 alonside Stromkirk Condemned pretending to be a lord (who buffs himself too) Hexmage popping planeswalkers, Gatekeeper of Malakir edicting shit and Bloodghast being a recurring threat.

We have 2 lords on 3 alongside Vampire Nighthawk and Mavreign Fain.

That's looking like a pretty nice curve so far and being tribal and a curve low enough for fastlands the mana is so easy you could even splash green for Coco.

Need to test that shit but looking pretty optimistic, can even board Bloodwitch of Malakir for the control matchup and Collective Brutality to royally fuck burn up and pitch Bloodghasts at the same time, might even be worth siding some Vendettas so it can run 8 1 drop removals vs Affinity second game as well, got enough lifelink to support them.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,261
    How would you compare Magic to the poker world?

Basicallly, so far:

limit hold 'em = Modern
    no limit hold 'em = Standard

What are Vintage and Legacy?
    So made my choice for my Modern and deck and going to go with the last deck I was playing Eldrazi & Taxes. Getting underplayed because of the Humans decks. Plus is like 130 on MTGO and I already have like 60+in randoms sitting around so its like nothing and in paper pretty much have it all for the most part.

2 Dark Confidant
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Leonin Arbiter
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Wasteland Strangler
    4 Flickerwisp
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Aether Vial
    4 Path to Exile

4 Caves of Koilos
    4 Concealed Courtyard