Magic the Gathering Thread

Comments

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,041
    beesuit wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Just Royal Assassin that bitch spaghetti monster...

EDIT: What's the ruling on Wrath Of God? I know that back in the day Wrath Of God removed creatures in the graveyard that had protection from white and creatures that are indestructible...

God damn, so many things wrong with this post....

1. Royal Assasin can't do shit to Sylvan 'bitch spaghetti monster' Caryatid. Hexproof, you can't target it. End of story.
    2. Wrath of God was a 'bury' effect i.e: Destroy and can't be regenerated. It never removed/exiled nor did it ever touch things in the graveyard.
    3. Wrath of God killed protection from white dudes because it was a global effect and wasn't specifically targeting it. That's one of the work around to deal with Protection.
    4. Wrath of God can't do shit to Indestructibles, those creatures are immune to any destroy effects which is what Wrath of God does.

We are talking about this thing, right? If so, Royal Assassin destroys it the instant it becomes tapped...
  • beesuitbeesuit Joined: Posts: 3,598
    edited September 2013
    lol thought u were talking bout this sylvancaryatid.jpg. Both fit the spaghetti description haha
    Either way you still gotta sac 6 to Emrakul if you let it tap to attack and then you gotta pray it doesn't come back down again after getting Royal Assasinated lol
    lol. so wait, i haven't played magic in a while. does annihilator resolve even if it gets "Assassinated"? I guess because Emrakul is attacking. In this case, how do the new rules work with Mana Short. Let's say I'm in my main phase, my opponent casts Mana Short and taps all my land, empties all mana from my mana pool. In response can I cast instants before all my mana's emptied from my pool, or I can't do anything until my next turn???
    edited September 2013
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=370670&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=2366&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=2111&type=card

With these 5 cards in play you gain 14 life during every upkeep...
    edited September 2013
    There's an edit button. No need to double post.
    lol. so wait, i haven't played magic in a while. does annihilator resolve even if it gets "Assassinated"? I guess because Emrakul is attacking. In this case, how do the new rules work with Mana Short. Let's say I'm in my main phase, my opponent casts Mana Short and taps all my land, empties all mana from my mana pool. In response can I cast instants before all my mana's emptied from my pool, or I can't do anything until my next turn???
    Annihilator triggers and goes on the stack as soon as the creature is declared attacking which is something that you can't respond to (since declaring attackers doesn't go on the stack). You can respond to the Annihilator trigger with Royal Assassin to kill off Emrakrul but the Annihilator 6 is still gonna resolve since it's already on the stack. Either you do something before creatures are declared attacking/blocking or after (i.e you can't wait for your opponent to say which creatures that they're attacking/blocking with and tap it so they can't attack/block. You need to tap it before they declare attackers/blockers otherwise that shit's cheap lol)

Tapping land for mana or using mana doesn't go on the stack. Your opponents can't stop you from doing any of those. So yes, in response to Mana Short you can still tap lands to add mana and play instants on top of it before it gets to resolve. Remember that spells resolve on the stack starting with the ones on top (earlier spells are the last to resolve), which is technically how the game allows you to respond to stuff.

• AlanEdrickAlanEdrick Joined: Posts: 1,216
    edited September 2013
    Just Royal Assassin that bitch spaghetti monster...

EDIT: What's the ruling on Wrath Of God? I know that back in the day Wrath Of God removed creatures in the graveyard that had protection from white and creatures that are indestructible...
    lol man you are a super noob if you think Royal Assassin is going to do anything vs sneak and show decks. And man the advice you give for legacy is noobish anyways. You are never going to win with lord of the pit in legacy. Royal Assassin doesnt do jack shit in legacy man, its to slow. Im just wondering what deck do you even use in legacy? Do you even know what a real legacy deck is? Just saying cause you give some of the worst advice. And im not sure you understand how legacy works. Net decks win tournaments 100% of the time, and you just cant say such and such will beat this cause I think it will. If you dont know how to play vs

esperblade
    delver decks
    shardless bug
    Ant
    sneak and show
    12 post
    goblins
    death and taxes
    mud
    Tezzart control
    miracles
    Jund
    nic fit
    Elfs
    Merfolk

if you dont know how to play vs these decks you wont stand a chance in legacy
    Post edited by AlanEdrick on
  • strider30strider30 Joined: Posts: 22
    I have a black casual deck where I play with 3 Royal Assassin cards. I think the card is Very good in casual matches, but I don't know how good it is in legacy tournaments. Btw, I am glad to know that there is a mtg thread on shoryuken. Now I can both read about SSF4 Ae and Mtg- two of my favourite games.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,007 mod
    Royal assassin is a great card, actually. It may not be a Legacy powerhouse but you know, any format that people can't access because there aren't enough lands for players inherently sucks dick.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    selynsia charm, and the white card half of the red/white split card from dragons maze. Im gonna exile all your shit. Your indestructible doesnt faze me.

But on a real note, WG is gonna be beastly. That two cost lion is bonkers.
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

Image.ashx?multiverseid=46741&type=card

These two cards together will be great in type 1.5 and type 1. Just think about the infinite mana and infinite card drawing possibilities with these two cards!!!
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Get on my level Joined: Posts: 1,684
    Why the hell do you keep calling them types. No one has called them types in 200 years.
    edited September 2013

These two cards together will be great in type 1.5 and type 1. Just think about the infinite mana and infinite card drawing possibilities with these two cards!!!
    that will never work in legacy tournaments, people use good cards like abrupt decay, and krosan grip. There hasnt been a good scepter deck in legacy for years. scepter decks are too slow for a real legacy tournament were everyone has tier 1 decks, and your tier 2 or 3 deck wont do much. Royal assassin is to slow for legacy when you see people throwing spells out for free with shardless bug decks, and devler decks have to much control like lighting bolts, counter spells to kill your Royal assassin, and delver only cost 1, and Royal assassin doesnt do anything to nimble mongoose. Then you have to deal with stone blade decks that get out batterskull on turn 3, and snap caster mages give them 8 swords to plowshares. Vs goblins they will kill you on turn 3 or 4, and gempalm with kill Royal assassin and then they attack with like 10 goblins with haste and have +1/+1. Death and Taxes will play all their creatures for free with vials, and death and taxes is white, so they will have hate for artifacts in their sb, and other stuff that removes other things from the game.

You really need to play in legacy tournament in understand your ideas might not work. You are giving really bad advice, you might as well tell people to win with Gen in Sf to throw fireballs.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=126274&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=253561&type=card
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=191592&type=card
    kill scepter for free.

And your combo wont work anyway, scepter is a activated ability, not a triggered ability
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,424
    Fuck slivers, everybody is playing them :mad:, I ran into two of them shits already....... also green is mad OP this time around, more than usual......
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    edited September 2013
    everyone can play slivers all they want, though they dont win tournaments.
    steamaugury.jpg
    tymaretthemurderking.jpg
    fleecemanelion.jpg
    ashioknightmareweaver.jpg

ashiok could work pretty good in shardless bug decks
    Monstrous abilities are so good, there was an unreleased planeswalker or some creature that generated lots of fucking mana..... that is where the metagame is heading imo, I can't afford to play in this metagame, the future has lots of Domri and that new planeswalker :|
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    AlanEdrick wrote: »

And your combo wont work anyway, scepter is a activated ability, not a triggered ability

I'm talking about Isochron Scepter's triggered ability...
    Pretty soon there will be a 3/3 one mana, 5 colour hybrid creature with some busted ass ability on top of it. Power creep will make it happen one day lol.
    i just noticed that monstrous can be played at any time. that lion and witch stalker are going to break the game for green
    Never forget:
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

Infinite mana with Isochron Scepter, Dark Ritual, and Twiddle...
    edited September 2013
    These cycles that hate on it's colour make me laugh lol
    http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/glareofheresy.html
    http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/gainsay.html
    http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/darkbetrayal.html
    http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/peakeruption.html
    http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/huntthehunter.html
    Imma fuck my colour up! Reminds me of Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight type quirkiness lol

Just noticed, top half of the enchantment hybrid cards got that funky border going on. Bet people gonna be all over foils of those.
  • RisingChurchRisingChurch Bass Bass Wub Wub Wub Joined: Posts: 456
    That border is because enchantments are gifts from the gods who live in nyx, which looks like the night sky. So the enchantment creatures are servants of the gods so you can glimpse nyx through them. Iirc at least.
    edited September 2013
    Infinite mana with Isochron Scepter, Dark Ritual, and Twiddle...
    i dont think you understand how legacy tournaments work. Isochron Scepter is too slow for tournaments. You might be able to win with Isochron Scepter in casual, but when in comes to tournaments that idea is really bad. And no one has played Isochron Scepter in like 10 years, cause no one wants to deal with, spell pierce, force of will, thought seize, inquisition of kozilek, daze, pithing needle, abrupt decay, disenchant, phyrexian revoker, krosan grip, and wipe away
    BullDancer wrote: »
    Monstrous abilities are so good, there was an unreleased planeswalker or some creature that generated lots of fucking mana..... that is where the metagame is heading imo, I can't afford to play in this metagame, the future has lots of Domri and that new planeswalker :|
    standard has always been expensive, were have you been for the last 20 years? You always have to buy a new deck every rotation, I think thats why people are playing mod now, since mod is never going to have a rotation and you dont have to buy duel lands
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,007 mod
    And no one has played Isochron Scepter in like 10 years, cause no one wants to deal with, spell pierce, force of will, thought seize, inquisition of kozilek, daze, pithing needle, abrupt decay, disenchant, phyrexian revoker, krosan grip, and wipe away

Or the shit that cascades into all of that.:lol:

AlanEdrick: If you wanna survive this thread, you're gonna have to learn how to ignore Jion.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • RisingChurchRisingChurch Bass Bass Wub Wub Wub Joined: Posts: 456
    Anger of the gods looks super good.

I am also excited about the ug seedborn muse, but that's because of commander.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,483
    edited September 2013
    Here is some fearless speculation on the upcoming rotation to hopefully spur discussion:

* Azorius-based control in general and Sphinx's Revelation in particular are the big winners upon rotation. The only relevant things that they lose are bad match-ups! Now only Voice of Resurgence stands to defend the good, creature-playing MtG masses against the evil hordes of spell-based control.
    * Selesnya looks strong, with a strong curve and access to powerful cards like Advent of the Wurm and Trostani. It also has access to Voice of Resurgence. It has no dual in Theros, though.
    * Red-based aggro survives rotation, with Firedrinker Satyr replacing Stromkirk Noble and Purphoros replacing Hellrider. Legion Loyalist looks strong against the token-heavy Selesnya deck. Both green and white can act as splashes. If three-color decks remain prevalent Burning Earth is also an option for red.
    * Big red seems like it'll be a thing. Boros Reckoner, Purphoros, Mizzium Mortars, Stormbreath Dragon and Magma Jet look like a solid backbone. Just like in aggro, a white splash is possible for stuff like Warleader's Helix, Assemble the Legion and the new Elspeth. A green splash is also possible for Domri, Xenagos and Ruric Thar (gotta hate on dat Azorius!).
    * Junk loses a lot of tools. It has replacement tools, but the mana is a lot worse and the reanimation component is a lot slower. Angel of Serenity is still strong. Whip of Erebos and Rescue from the Underworld can replace Unburial Rites. Maybe Deadbridge Chant can work.
    * Maaaaaaaybe Boros Battalion Aggro will be a thing. It has access to Boros Charm against Supreme Verdict, and Frontline Medic against Sphinx's Revelation.

* Golgari Control is dead. Without Mutilate to support it Desecration Demon is a lot worse. Without Thragtusk it's a lot harder to not die. Without Garruk there is no good way to refill the hand.
    * Jund is dead as it currently exists. It loses Huntmaster, Thragtusk, Olivia and Bonfire with no good replacements so far. Jund is nearly always a viable color combination so maybe there's a Jund deck in the future, but it'll be a different beast from the one we have right now.
    * Hexproof seems to be relegated to a tier 2 strategy at best. Witchstalker and Scout are just not as good as Geist and Stalker. Good riddance, if you ask me. Hexproof is probably my fourth most hated aspect of the game**.
    * Tempo in general seems dead. No Geist, no game.
    * I have no idea if Aristocrats can survive. Cartel Aristocrat and Xantid Necromancer are still around, but Lingering Souls, Doomed Traveler and Tragic Slip are gone. I'll say that it's probably dead, but maybe not. If it survives it'll probably be in B/W colors.

** My most hated aspects of the game are mana-screw, Storm mechanic, Miracle mechanic, Hexproof and the card "Show and Tell".
    Post edited by ukyo_rulz on
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    edited September 2013
    Jion is a super noob, he doesnt understand legacy at all. The thing is with legacy

Legacy does not care about new players. Lets say you just started magic, you've been playing for a week or so. Then you goto a legacy tournament and get destroyed on turn 2 or 3.

Legacy cost money. Goblins, Elf's, Death and taxes, Mud. Are most likely the cheapest decks to make that can win.

100% of the time, every deck that wins a legacy tournament is a net deck.

Just cause you can beat some of your friends at magic with a casual deck does not mean you are going to win at legacy.

Legacy does not care about how good you think you are. What I mean by this is, just cause you think you have some good ideas doesn't mean they are going to work.

Legacy decks are some of the most powerful decks in mtg, they can win turn 2 or turn 3. If you don't know the meta and just think you are going to enter a tournament and wing it, most likely you will lose to a super powered deck.

As for standard, Jund is going to die, and everyone is going to play blue white control and red green aggro
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,483
    Legacy cost money. Goblins, Elf's, Death and taxes, Mud. Are most likely the cheapest decks to make that can win.

I remember when Dredge was a budget deck... but now you need LED for it. Affinity was the budget deck de jour for a while, but the Legend rule update upped the cost of Mox Opal and the Modern format upped the cost of Ravager. Even Goblins and Death and Taxes needs Wasteland and Elves needs Cradle. MUD seems doable without completely breaking the bank, but it's not exactly what I would call a budget deck.

Burn is probably the cheapest deck that can win a big event. I think it took down two consecutive SCG events earlier this year.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    edited September 2013
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=370592&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=370635&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=370676&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=370625&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=370586&type=card

You know what I just realized besides the mana symbols of course. After looking at these cards again I realized that those are five planeswalkers holding the staves. you know the five.

EDIT: Here's the bearer of the staff of the death magus:

lilianas-carress.jpg

Also what's the new legend rule regarding Mox Opal, etc? I haven't played type 1.5 in a while and looking to make a stasis/shared fate deck. Yes, that means your own deck will give me the win.
    edited September 2013
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »

I remember when Dredge was a budget deck... but now you need LED for it. Affinity was the budget deck de jour for a while, but the Legend rule update upped the cost of Mox Opal and the Modern format upped the cost of Ravager. Even Goblins and Death and Taxes needs Wasteland and Elves needs Cradle. MUD seems doable without completely breaking the bank, but it's not exactly what I would call a budget deck.

Burn is probably the cheapest deck that can win a big event. I think it took down two consecutive SCG events earlier this year.
    Affinity and Dredge died once people brought in a lot of hate. Burn is ok, until someone brings leyline's and kills your deck.

Jion is like a MvC2 noob, you know those noobs that think they can beat Sent/Storm teams with Sakura, Bison, Gief. No matter how many times you tell noobs that there are tiers, their just like I can use noob tactics and think I can beat them

angerofthegods.jpg
    mistcutterhydra.jpg

man red green in standard keeps getting better
    Anyone going to the prerelease? Also, what about Land Tax/Lands' Edge with Goblin Charbelcher?
    edited September 2013
    Goblin Charbelcher has a hard time winning, cause there is a lot of artifact hate, and sb cards can kill Goblin Charbelcher decks. Its a so-so deck. You are better of playing Ant-storm decks. No one uses land tax in legacy cause its too slow. Legacy storm is just a lot better, cause you can with tendrils of agony or empty the warrens on turn 2 or 3

Land tax is meh, when you can use lions eye diamond, lotus petal, chrome mox, ancient tomb, city of traitors, or aether vial
    Full theros spoiler is out
    Never forget:

edited September 2013
    nice cant wait to buy a booster box. This set is going to be enchantment heavy, so im sure a lot of people are going to SB a lot of hate. Ya im just going to ignore Jion cause hes the obviously the best mtg player, he knows how to win, he knows more then anyone. Even people who've been playing legacy for more then 5 years and back then stomping people with worldgorger dragon decks on turn 2 every game
    Back in 1995 i used Stasis decks and burn decks
    edited September 2013
    and now those decks are dead good for you. Did you ever win a legacy tournament without noobs? Man I miss when MTG was on ESPN2

Shit yo, there's more to the game than just legacy, legacy, legacy.

Also MTG is a horrible spectator sport. Even if you know the rules of the game, have fun following what's going on if you don't know all the cards off by heart. They're been addressing it somewhat in the recent world tournament vids by showing you and explaining the cards, but you're still ain't gonna draw in any new blood by showing them an MTG video lol
    I know more about standard more then any format, playing it since 94. Its a really bad format, the format comes down to only maybe 2 tier 1 decks that dominant the format. Back then tinker decks destroyed every deck, before that necro, till necro was banned, thats why stasis won worlds that year. standard players always play the same tier 1 decks that win the same tournaments every week. Like Blue/Green Maddness and psychatog decks ran over every deck at the time. Then came even more boring decks like affinity, affinity made so many people quit magic it was even funny. Mtg had to ban a lot of stuff in affinity, slide won worlds that year. Slide and affinity were the only decks that won 90% of tournaments. Just like how blue green madness and togg won 99% of tournaments. I quit standard after tooth and nail became the best deck

And standard still hasnt changed much tier 1 decks still dominant standard. Jund has been winning like every mayor tournament and Red green midrange.
    Standard is a really slow format now taking like 10-12 turns to win a fucking game.

Id rather play modern were, Blue/white, pod, robots, the rock, and jund. modern and legacy have a lot more decks that win.

Ive talking to my friends EDH, and why anyone would play that format is beyond me. You can only use 1 card of a type? Fuck that, that sounds like noobish format, and fuck shuffling that many cards. I think people play EDH cause they cant win at any other format
    Xenagos is going to run train in this format......

That nigga is going to be mad expensive......

I don't focus on what goes on in tournaments lol..... I play casuals with friends and other randoms(FNM) because its a game that most people my age or older(21+) play.... surprisingly Yugioh is a more balanced card and cheaper game than MTG but nobody plays it, so I'm just outback......