Does winning a side tournament at Evo make you an Evo champion?

ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
edited August 2013 in Evo Championship Series

Does winning a side tournament at Evo make you an Evo champion? 51 votes

Yes
70%
ElvenShadowPaolochunafro legendsKrimzonAQUA-PURAotterMissing Personshin neferioRagnorok64Leady?phunkismNickRocksfohstickAnhVuDoYannickdouglamROFLironScrub SaibotMrBGuyeltrouble 36 votes
No
29%
Shanghai KidUbersaurusShinjiGohanEphidelloopizJ.DCanadianDstryrd3vsvxZMangzaznpikachu215HawkingbirdSp00kyFoxhavokhoundMajinSweet 15 votes

Comments

• NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,901
    edited August 2013
    Yes
    if its not in the official game lineup, yes
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No
    I didn't realize that being an evo champion means so little that someone could throw a side tournament for any game that they want, and regardless of the fact that the turnout will be less than local majors much less regional majors, it counts as an evo championship win.

So next year I can run a Tobal 2 side tournament at evo. Have 2 people enter, win and then call myself an evo champion. Got it.
    edited August 2013
    Yes
    I didn't realize that being an evo champion means so little that someone could throw a side tournament for any game that they want, and regardless of the fact that the turnout will be less than local majors much less regional majors, it counts as an evo championship win.

So next year I can run a Tobal 2 side tournament at evo. Have 2 people enter, win and then call myself an evo champion. Got it.

lol why are you so butthurt about this?

It's EVO, you can have a side tournament for any game you want. If you win it then you won the *side game* tournament at EVO.

Is Tobal 2 even played at any other majors? lol

If 2 people show up for Tobal 2 at EVO I really doubt there's gonna be a higher turnout for it at other majors haha

are you really gonna tell the person who won MvC2 side tournament at EVO that it doesn't count cause it wasn't in the official EVO lineup?
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2013
    No
    NickRocks wrote: »
    are you really gonna tell the person who won MvC2 side tournament at EVO that it doesn't count cause it wasn't in the official EVO lineup?

Are you really going to tell me that whoever won an MVC2 side tournament on 2013 is at the level of JWong, IFCYipes, and Sanford Kelly on their prime on MVC2???
    The answer is no, you're late.
    Fight For The Future!!
    Yes
    Thats conpletely irrelevant to the question. No one is saying anything about "on the level of so and so in their prime". The fact remains that whoever won mvc2 at evo won mvc2 at evo.
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Yes
    In the end, id say it depends on the scene of the game

If you win tobal 2 at evo 2014 will the tobal scene acknowledge it? Fuck the srk posters and stream watchers will it mean something to the other tobal players? Xvsf had a strong side tourney presence for awhile with usa vs canada.

If your games' scene acknowledges the winner of the side tourney as champion then thats all that matters
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,298 mod
    No
    Depends on the comp. Winning at an EVO side tournament when there's only a small number of competitors and/or the players who joined aren't the cream of the crop is just as legit as DSP winning ST the year it was run on PS2. Sure a win is a win the legitimacy of that win will always be in question.
    Yes
    I dont agree that just because the game isnt in the official lineup that a win isnt legit
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No
    Thats conpletely irrelevant to the question. No one is saying anything about "on the level of so and so in their prime". The fact remains that whoever won mvc2 at evo won mvc2 at evo.

What I'm asking you is if you think that somebody winning a side MVC2 tournament in 2013 at EVO is at the same level of real EVO champs like those I mentioned (the 3 gods)
    The answer is no.

Fight For The Future!!
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Yes
    I believe it counts. If you entered a tournament for Art of Fighting 2 and your only comp is a guy in a coma and you win, congratulations, you're an EVO champ and an Art of Fighting God.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

Yes
    J.D wrote: »

What I'm asking you is if you think that somebody winning a side MVC2 tournament in 2013 at EVO is at the same level of real EVO champs like those I mentioned (the 3 gods)
    The answer is no.

let me rephrase

you can't be a evo champ if a game isnt in the official evo lineup

you can say "i won mvc2 at evo 2k13"

you cant say "im the evo 2k13 mvc2 champ"

if that makes sense
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,071
    Yes
    It'll never count on the official record books, but if it gets a decent sized turnout, I don't see why you can't say so. People may laugh at it, but hey, if they thought you won on a technicality, then they should've gotten in there and played and beat you.

If I had the expendable cash to throw around, I'd come to Evo, run side events of my favorite games (Cough Sailor Moon S), and put up trophies to the winner.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 58,861 mod
    If you win, you're a champion. Evo is just the name of an event. The win is important.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2013
    Yes
    I saw this Melty Blood tournament people ran in 07 or 08 on youtube. They had a good number of players and recorded everything and even some pre tournament stuff, so if you go that route and put it out for the world to see then I think yorue a legit champion.

Plus, itd be funny as fuck if someone came with an SNES and ran a Shaq Fu tourney! There should be a area that specializes in horrendous fighting games from the past and have them be like the Razzie Tournaments. The commentating would be hilarious!
    Post edited by OrochiDemon on
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    Yes
    J.D wrote: »

The answer is no.
    Does that even matter though? Tournaments gauge the skill from the current field of players, not the past.
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    No
    You still got paid, and recognized within your game's community, but there's definitely more to being a major champion than that.

If it's an "official side game" like MvC2, CvS2, Garou, Vampire ect at FR, who are always given space when the community asks for it that's one thing, but saying as a catch-all, any "tournament" that takes place in BYOC is a legitimate major tournament is another story.
  • EphidelEphidel 02 OG Joined: Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No
    Depends on the payout. Depends on entries. Depends on the community. Respect is earned, not given. I don't think it's the same as having the intensity of the entire crowd behind you in comparison to tourneys being ran in BYOC.
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel
    Discord: Ephidel
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,731
    Yes
    Depends on the side tournament itself. If it's some random last-minute tourney that got thrown together by a few dudes and doesn't fill a 16-man bracket, you probably shouldn't brag about being an EVO champion.

But if your community promotes the tournament, bring serious setups, a stream or recording of the matches, actual prizes for the players that isn't just money, and have players from all across the country and from other countries attend the tournament, then there's validity for calling yourself an EVO champ within your community.
    No
    If said champion is branching out and telling everyone that s/he is an evo champ. To SF4 players, Marvel, Injustice etc... then that's taking it out of your community. When the turnout isn't even greater than or equal to a good turnout for a regional tournament much less a major or even evo then you can't try and claim the same amount of admiration as someone that won an official tournament.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,651
    Yes
    I respect the people who win MvC2/CvS2/ST side tournaments more than the fucking numbskulls that win the fucking DOA/Injustice/MK9/whatever-retard-game on the main stages.

What I don't like about EVO is that not the best games are chosen but the most popular games.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
    No
    Except those games were popular too at one point at the expense of "better" games like HF. Then their popularity waned when these newer titles came out.
    I also prefer ST over SF4 or really any of the current games but if you can't respect someone winning a tournament with 300-1700 entrants when those "better" games can't even get a quarter to a twentieth of their entrants then something is wrong. Are they really better?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,731
    Yes
    Popularity and quality have never...ever gone hand-in-hand. There are few exceptions, but the concept of "popular things are good" is never, ever causative.
    No
    Not all popular things are good, but good things should be popular. Otherwise it wouldn't be good. But when it comes down to a video game, what's good and what's not is largely opinion based. If a game doesn't suit your fancy that doesn't make it bad even if its popular or not. If it has broken mechanics and doesn't play well at all then its bad. But that's not the case for these games currently showcased at evo. They may not suit my fancy or yours but that doesn't make them bad. And why would a "bad" game get a much larger entrant number than supposedly good games that can't measure up?

If these games are getting 4-20 times the number of entrants then they must be doing something right. And they have a higher level of competition. A game that can't get those entrants just can't measure up anymore, and shouldn't be held in the same prestige as games on the main stage. They're small groups may be proud of the results, but still largely insignificant.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,380
    Yes
    Looks like the "yes" votes have it!!!
    No
    Looks like standards for being an evo champion are rather low. Congrats to those that have helped diminished the accomplishments of those that win official evo games to being on par with side tournaments.