The Street Fighter Plot Canon Guide development thread

2

Comments

  • b64b64 Joined: Posts: 21
    A couple of folks have already mentioned items that are important for the new plot guide and I'll mention a couple too... Are we going to keep the JP names or go with the American names? Personally for posterity alone it's good to have the JP names. Gouki's name really defines who he is... Someone with a strong spirit. Akuma? Techincally he isn't an evil spirit. Powerful yes. But not demonic though.
    Japanese names seem more suitable, although over there at b64 we use the American ones in all the files and data we have (except for Muscle Bomber/Slam Masters, that's all Japanese version though). Anyway, you can never mistake with Dictator, Claw and Boxer. :)
    What is the exact aftermath of SF2? Did dictator get SGS'd by Gouki, was the SF4 C. Viper trailer the end of the tourney, or did both of those things happen? Not aware of anyone asking Ono-san this, so I'll give it a go.
    I'm positive that Gouki killed Dictator with SGS at the end of SF2. However, I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened on the tournament itself.
    Is Zangief gay? Personally I don't think so. Lol
    I didn't notice anything that would hint that, so no, I don't think so either. Zangief is a typical Russian/Soviet stereotype guy, big wrestler who gives everything for his country, definitely not a gay. Not sure where did that come from.

    As for SF4, hopefully Ultra SF4 will make some clear things clear.

    Also, I'm supporting the opinion of doing the plot guide from scratch, but it will be very difficult to do for whoever is planning to do that. The previous plot guide contains a lot of useful info which you won't want to miss. I'll also be very glad to provide help together with other b64s.
    mbd20.png

    Follow @Boulevard64 on Twitter!
  • Lord VegaLord Vega Joined: Posts: 324
    A couple of folks have already mentioned items that are important for the new plot guide and I'll mention a couple too... Are we going to keep the JP names or go with the American names? Personally for posterity alone it's good to have the JP names. Gouki's name really defines who he is... Someone with a strong spirit. Akuma? Techincally he isn't an evil spirit. Powerful yes. But not demonic though.

    What is the exact aftermath of SF2? Did dictator get SGS'd by Gouki, was the SF4 C. Viper trailer the end of the tourney, or did both of those things happen? Not aware of anyone asking Ono-san this, so I'll give it a go.

    I would stick with jap names too.

    The SF2 ending is pure conjecture.
    One of the theories is that T. Hawk, Cammy and Guile met Vega (they are the only ones who really need Vega to be defeated for their ending to happen) and their ending happened. Then, Gouki appeared and SGS Vega. From here, two things might have happened:
    1 - Gouki SGS Vega and left the dictator lying on the ground. Vega survives and his post SF2 black and white picture happens (even Guile's ending could have happened after this incident. Just take a look at his JAPANESE SSF2X ending... and remember that AASF3 in 1997 mentions that Shadoloo and Vega are "alive and well").
    2 - Gouki SGS Vega turning his body to flaming powder, only to have his remains found by Ryu (this was mentioned by a Gamest character flowchart when 3rd Strike was launched). Conjectures leads to believe that Vega's soul entered Seth no 15 before going to vanilla SFIV prologue body.

    If memory serves me right, those 4 trailers where just promotional material non canonic material.
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    What I don't understand: Why is the way and the moment Akuma appeared up for debate anyway? In the game, the following happens: Just as the final battle is about to happen, Akuma jumps in, kills M. Bison and challenges Bison's opponent.

    If that's what's in the game, how is it possible than in canon, Akuma might have appeared after the tournament, killed Bison and then left? Or that Akuma killed Bison with no witnesses so that the dead body could be found later? None of that happens in the game, so how is it possible that this is the official canon? If the game really has top priority in the canon, shouldn't Akuma's appearance be like I said above?

    I find it ironic that, in this case, a non-canon third party comic (the UDON "Street Fighter" comic) is closer to what actually happens in the game than the officially established canon. So, basically, the official canon contradicts the game itself. How is that even possible?
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    DRW wrote: »
    What I don't understand: Why is the way and the moment Akuma appeared up for debate anyway? In the game, the following happens: Just as the final battle is about to happen, Akuma jumps in, kills M. Bison and challenges Bison's opponent.

    If that's what's in the game, how is it possible than in canon, Akuma might have appeared after the tournament, killed Bison and then left? Or that Akuma killed Bison with no witnesses so that the dead body could be found later? None of that happens in the game, so how is it possible that this is the official canon? If the game really has top priority in the canon, shouldn't Akuma's appearance be like I said above?

    I find it ironic that, in this case, a non-canon third party comic (the UDON "Street Fighter" comic) is closer to what actually happens in the game than the officially established canon. So, basically, the official canon contradicts the game itself. How is that even possible?

    I'm still fairly sure at this point that Akuma jumping in against Bison never actually happened in SF2.
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    Yeah, that would be of course the easiest version: Akuma watched the tournament, but found nobody worthy to be challenged by him. So, he never interefered and the part of the game where you don't encounter Akuma (because you weren't good enoug) is canon.

    This way, we also have no problems with the endings anymore.
    That's another problem by the way: Not only might the official canon contradict the game, but the game itself contradicts itself: Akuma jumps in, kills Bison, but after you defeat Akuma, you still see the regular ending sequence where the people talk with Bison as if they had defeated him.
  • Lord VegaLord Vega Joined: Posts: 324
    DRW wrote: »
    Yeah, that would be of course the easiest version: Akuma watched the tournament, but found nobody worthy to be challenged by him. So, he never interefered and the part of the game where you don't encounter Akuma (because you weren't good enoug) is canon.

    This way, we also have no problems with the endings anymore.
    That's another problem by the way: Not only might the official canon contradict the game, but the game itself contradicts itself: Akuma jumps in, kills Bison, but after you defeat Akuma, you still see the regular ending sequence where the people talk with Bison as if they had defeated him.

    The difference is in the japanese text. That's why we can assume that Vega survived/can survive the SGS.

    This fact is canon. No one fought Gouki in SF2.

    From what I understand, SF2 was a known event to the whole world. We can assume that Gouki heard about Vega being the sponsor and final opponent and decided to test/attack him with his deadliest move...

    About the game contradicting itself, just take a look at the Zero 3 conclusion storyline...
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    The difference is in the japanese text. That's why we can assume that Vega survived/can survive the SGS.
    But it's still weird:
    In-game, Akuma jumps in, defeats M. Bison and fights Guile. After the battle, Guile grabs Bison who notes that Guile has become stronger.
    Or if you play the game with Ryu: Bison still stands on place two of the winners' podium. "O.k., I cannot fight anymore, so you win by default. But hey, I still go to the ceremony with you."
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    This fact is canon. No one fought Gouki in SF2.
    Yeah, I know. I was just complaining that the canon and the game don't match. If they intended Akuma to fight nobody after killing Bison, they shouldn't have included him into the game. Or, from the other point of view: If there's a secret opponent in the game who kills the final opponent and then challenges the other finalist, they should have made sure that this is reflected in the storyline as well.
    Of course, you could decide that Akuma appearing didn't canonically happen because it's just one of two possible outcomes in the game. So, you could say that Akuma watched the fighters and looked out for someone who is worthy. If he had found one, he would have killed Bison and challenged his opponent. Since he didn't find one, he didn't jump in, i.e. the scene where you fight M. Bison in the end because you haven't played well enough for Akuma to appear is canon.
    But declaring: "Yes, Akuma did kill Bison like in the game, but no, he didn't challenge anybody else, nor did the kill happen right when another fighter was about to face Bison", that's a huge contradiction.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    About the game contradicting itself, just take a look at the Zero 3 conclusion storyline...
    What exactly are you referring to?
  • Lord VegaLord Vega Joined: Posts: 324
    DRW wrote: »
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    The difference is in the japanese text. That's why we can assume that Vega survived/can survive the SGS.

    But it's still weird:
    In-game, Akuma jumps in, defeats M. Bison and fights Guile. After the battle, Guile grabs Bison who notes that Guile has become stronger.
    Or if you play the game with Ryu: Bison still stands on place two of the winners' podium. "O.k., I cannot fight anymore, so you win by default. But hey, I still go to the ceremony with you."
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    This fact is canon. No one fought Gouki in SF2.
    Yeah, I know. I was just complaining that the canon and the game don't match. If they intended Akuma to fight nobody after killing Bison, they shouldn't have included him into the game. Or, from the other point of view: If there's a secret opponent in the game who kills the final opponent and then challenges the other finalist, they should have made sure that this is reflected in the storyline as well.
    Of course, you could decide that Akuma appearing didn't canonically happen because it's just one of two possible outcomes in the game. So, you could say that Akuma watched the fighters and looked out for someone who is worthy. If he had found one, he would have killed Bison and challenged his opponent. Since he didn't find one, he didn't jump in, i.e. the scene where you fight M. Bison in the end because you haven't played well enough for Akuma to appear is canon.
    But declaring: "Yes, Akuma did kill Bison like in the game, but no, he didn't challenge anybody else, nor did the kill happen right when another fighter was about to face Bison", that's a huge contradiction.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    About the game contradicting itself, just take a look at the Zero 3 conclusion storyline...
    What exactly are you referring to?

    Gouki 's intro where he kills Vega was just a way to introduce him. Bear in mind that we're talking about a character that wasn't known to the public right away. People would have questioned "who's the guy with the weird hair that flashes during the intro?" but they had no idea of who he was or what he was capable of... Then, you play really well, and when you're about to fight the final boss... this dude appears and kills the final boss with one "single" move... and unless you're REALLY good to deal with the surprise factor and this dude cheapness... he'll mop the floor with you. Vega was meant to be the final boss, but since Turbo, his AI became predictable and somewhat easy... (just like in Zero 2 and Zero 3, he's pretty difficult to defeat in Zero 1)... and then Gouki appears... the first thought is "let's see if he is a real challenge..." so...

    If you play as Gouki, just after he defeats Vega, he mocks him and go away... that's not conflicting at all. But if you take a look a Cammy and Guile's ending, you can't help but ask "yeah, right. but what happened with Vega? Ran away? Died? Was put in jail?" that's conflicting.
    It was said that Vega sponsored SF2 to have his revenge against the one who destroyed the "Psycho Drive". I don't see that way. For me, it was to complete his plan from the Zero arc: lure Ryu and possess his body.

    The Vega being defeated by Gouki was shown in other games besides SF2 (and they don't contradict the storyline):

    -Gouki's Zero 1, 2 & 3 ending
    -Adon's Zero 3 ending

    You want Zero 3 contradictions?

    - Amost every character kills Vega;
    - Vega dies after showing Rose who will be the world's destructor, when in fact, he dies in the Psycho Drive base being held by Nash;

    and the list goes on... Zero 3 expanded the storyline really good... but some of it's content and conclusion... yuck! If memory serves me right, it was made by the same team that did the SF3 storyline.
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    Gouki 's intro where he kills Vega was just a way to introduce him.
    The things you said are all correct, but it still doesn't change the fact that the canon and the game don't match. If they decide to let Akuma appear at the finale where he kills M. Bison, they should reflect this in the storyline. (Or declare that Akuma's interference didn't happen and that the regular final battle against Bison himself is the canon outcome.)
    I mean, the UDON comics did it after all. There, it's similar to the game: Ryu is about to face M. Bison, Akuma appears out of nowhere, fights M. Bison and kills him and then fights Ryu.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    If you play as Gouki, just after he defeats Vega, he mocks him and go away... that's not conflicting at all.
    No, but you don't want to claim that this is the version that the canon refers to, do you? The story that Akuma killed Bison with the Shun Goku Satsu is obviously based on the game scene that you get when you play very well and Akuma jumps in and kills Bison. It's not based on the situation where the player himself selects Akuma via a cheat code and then plays through the game as if Akuma was a regular contestant and faces Bison in the finale, where you can't even use the Shun Goku Satsu.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    But if you take a look a Cammy and Guile's ending, you can't help but ask "yeah, right. but what happened with Vega? Ran away? Died? Was put in jail?" that's conflicting.
    It might not be very good story telling, but it has nothing to do with it being conflicting. I.e. there are no contradictions in those scenes. It's just that they don't show Bison's final fate on-screen.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    The Vega being defeated by Gouki was shown in other games besides SF2 (and they don't contradict the storyline):
    Of course they don't. (Especially since they didn't happen in canon.) But I wasn't referring to them. I was referring to the fact that they declare the pre-battle cutscene from "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" as canon, but yet, in canon it doesn't play out like in the game.
    Lord Vega wrote: »
    You want Zero 3 contradictions?

    - Amost every character kills Vega;
    - Vega dies after showing Rose who will be the world's destructor, when in fact, he dies in the Psycho Drive base being held by Nash;
    Those are not contradictions, but what-if scenarios:
    If Sakura had fought Bison one-on-one like this, then Dark Ryu would have killed Bison.
    If Zangief had reached M. Bison, he would have destroyed the Psycho Drive with Honda's help and killed Bison in the process.

    The scenes don't contradict each other because most of them never happened and are just what would have happened if that specific fighter had reached Bison. And you don't see two of these contradicting scenes in one and the same play session.

    That's the case in most fighting games:
    In "Mortal Kombat" canon, Liu Kang defeated Shang Tsung, Sub-Zero was killed and Scorpion remained a spectre.
    Now, if you win the game with Sub-Zero, he retires and lives on the wealth that he earned by assassinating Shang Tsung.
    If you win the game with Scorpion, he becomes a living being again.

    Those are not contraditictions. If Sub-Zero had won the tournament, he would have retired. SInce he was killed by Scorpion and since Liu Kang was the final winner, neither Scorpion's nor Sub-Zero's ending came to pass. Those two what-if scenarios don't have to line up with each other. They can contradict each other because only one of them is suposed to happen anyway.

    But in "Super Street Fighter II Turbo", the contradiciton isn't based on different outcomes, but it appears in one and the same play session:
    You play with Ryu and reach the finale, then Bison is killed by Akuma, then Bison stands on the winners' podium. What the...?
    Or:
    You play with Guile and reach the finale, then Bison is killed by Akuma, then Bison comments on Guile having become stronger. What the...?

    They should have done a slightly different ending for when you fight Akuma:

    Ryu: Still walking into the sunset, but no ceremony scene. And this time he thinks about the fact that Gouken's death has been avenged and that Akuma was shown that not everybody is corruptable.

    Guile: His wife and daughter still appear, but he doesn't have to decide on what to do with Bison anymore and they go home just like that.

    Cammy: She cannot ask Bison about her past anymore, so she has to head for Vega to get some information. Vega, feeling sorry for her for some reason, tells her a lie: That she was a spy trying to infiltrate Bison's organization. This way, Cammy doesn't have to live with the memory that she used to be a killer for Bison's organization.

    Dhalsim: Instead of having a picture of him, Bison and Sagat on the winners' podium, Dhalsim has reached a higher level of consciousness by defeating Akuma and is now a great guru in India.

    Somethign like that.
    But the way it is now, most endings just don't fit anymore when you unlock Akuma as an opponent. They only make sense in the context where you defeat Bison, but not where you defeat Akuma.
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    What's actually the status of the plot canon guide? Is it still in development? In the moment, it seems like nobody works on it.
    At the beginning, there were some active discussions until Vasili showed up and disallowed the use of his material. Then you waited for him to send you Tiamat's final revision. And that's basically it.
    Some days ago someone posted a scan of a Japanese text that might be useful. And I think there was a post about Adon. But in the moment, there doesn't seem to be any organized, systematic work.
    So, what's the current status? Is the project dead?
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Yum Yum Joined: Posts: 7,193
    edited December 2013
    About Gouki using the Shun Goku Satsu on Dictator--I've always liked the idea of it being canon, mainly because it makes the story of the World Warrior tournament (which we don't know much of to begin with) interesting. However, it does seem odd that it wasn't referenced in any way in SF4, yet it was mentioned in both SNK Vs Capcom Chaos and Street Fighter X Tekken.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy, Learning Menat Marvel: Captain Marvelous/Thanos DBFZ: Gohan/Freeza/Trunks
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    DRW wrote: »
    What's actually the status of the plot canon guide? [...]
    Alright, no answer for five days. So, I assume the project is dead. That's it with the plot guide.
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,705
    I hope that's not the case. :/ If true, it would be a pretty crappy end to a once-great resource.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

    Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

    Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

    My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    Sorry but I've been transitioning to a new job which has taken up a lot of my time along with the fact that I just ran a big airsoft event last weekend which required prepwork.
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,705
    That's cool man, just glad to hear that it's not dead.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

    Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

    Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

    My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    That's cool man, just glad to hear that it's not dead.

    Erm, in how far did YagamiFire's post include the statement that the plot guide is not dead?
    Think about it: The new plot guide was originally supposed to be a community project and yet, only one person answered my question at all. And that person said that he doesn't have time because he's busy with his job.

    Now, don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining about YagamiFire's answer. Of course the things he does are much more important than some little internet fan project.
    I just want to say: From a purely factual viewpoint, the plot guide is basically dead. From all the original contributors that were willing to work on it, all but one didn't answer my post at all. And the one who answered said that he cannot work on it in the moment. By definition, this means nobody is working on it and there's no indication that this will happen anytime soon. I.e.: Dead.
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,705
    I dunno dude, I think you're being a bit dramatic. People have different schedules (especially at this time of year) and can work on things behind the scenes. Plus there've been some obstacles with choosing/finding a desired version. Just because they didn't answer your question, it doesn't mean it's dead. It's more realistic to say hiatus...dead implies that everyone's given up said "to hell with this" and sworn it off. We have no evidence that this is what's come to pass. Just my thought on the matter.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

    Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

    Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

    My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    People have different schedules (especially at this time of year) and can work on things behind the scenes.
    Sure, if some person secretly writes a new plot guide in private to publish it later, there's no way I can know this now. But I seriously doubt that a bunch of people from this forum are secretly working on a new plot guide together, especially since the new plot guide was supposed to be a community project after the big dictator was overthrown, so it would go against the new intentions if some small elite group worked on it secretly.
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    Just because they didn't answer your question, it doesn't mean it's dead.
    No, but the fact that there was never any real progress to begin with (after Vasili shut it down), that shows that the project is dead.
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    It's more realistic to say hiatus
    If you think that this is more realistic, go ahead. For me, the fact that the new plot guide basically stands at 0 % completion makes "dead" more realistic than "hiatus". I mean, not even the basics are established. It's literally 0 %.
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    dead implies that everyone's given up said "to hell with this" and sworn it off.
    Not necessarily. Dead can also mean: "We were eager to do this when the controversy with Vasili was still new and relevant. We even had the first ideas. Then Vasili came around, disallowed the use of his material and destroyed our progress. So, we waited for Tiamat's final version. But in the meantime, everybody slowly lost interest in this project for the most part. And now, the total sum of the motivation of all the potential contributors isn't enough anymore to get this started again."
    Shockdingo wrote: »
    We have no evidence that this is what's come to pass.
    We don't have any evidence that the work will continue either.
    You said it best: People have different schedules. So, unless there's some single person with enough knowledge and too much time on his hand, it's unlikely that the plot guide will ever be rewritten.
    Imagine, just for the sake of argument, that in two months, YagamiFire will decide to work on it again. Then the other members still have their own things to do. So, he might post something here, some introduction ideas. But since the reboot topic is even older then, even less people will still be interested and/or have the time for it. So, he maybe gets one or two replies in this forum. And then the whole thing will fall asleep again.
    Do you really seriously believe that one day the whole community will say: "O.k., now we will do this" and then they'll work on it again? This is the internet where new trends fade away very quickly. When they kicked Vasili's ass, everyone was excited: "Wow, finally we shut up that pretentious guy. Now, the plot guide isn't in the hands of a single person anymore. We finally have the chance to do it as a community project. Let's go!" But then, Vasili striked again and nullified their progress. So, the work was stopped and they decided to wait for Tiamat's answer. But in the meantime, the topic lost its novelty. Showing Vasili that they can do it better became less and less interesting. Time went on and the people continued living their lifes. And now, they have better stuff to do than restart that old project that was really just established because of the excitement of having it taken from Vasili's hands and do it together. Today, nobody really cares anymore for what Vasili said and did. It's old and done. And after all, we still have an elaborate plot guide. So, why should anybody bring enough motivation to actually recreate a document that already exists, months after the topic was new?

    Let's wait for another year. And then think of my words: Unless a single person took it into his hands by himself, the new plot guide will still be dead. A second plot guide as a community project? Won't happen. If someone tries to revive it, it won't go beyond the planning phase and it will quickly die down again before anything useful came out of it.
    I will write a note in my calendar for December 6th, 2014. If I haven't been disproven in the meantime, I will remind you of this post.
    I really hope I will be wrong. Because I do want to see the new plot guide. But realistically, I fear that my statements from this post will remain true.
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,705
    Well at this point, all we can do is wait, honestly, can't do more than that or speculate. I'm a bit of an optimist from time to time, so I'll leave it at that.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

    Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

    Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

    My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,040 mod
    edited December 2013
    I'll help out here and there if asked but I probably will not actively work on the guide.

    Me and vasili10 have worked on things for the guide for years behind the scenes with me sending images of tons of old Gamest magazines and the like and in the process we became good friends.

    We still talk, I see his side of things and I wish he would elaborate more on his decision online. I don't agree with it entirely but as a friend I can see his view of things.

    This is entirely my decision so please don't put this one on vasili10 too. He doesn't mind if I help out with whatever new version the guide takes on. But since I do value our friendship which is more important to me than the guide itself I will not be taking an incredibly active role in the new incarnation.

    I do wonder, what is really the purpose of continuing the guide? I'm going to be a bit of a dick here but this is something that needs to be said.

    Azrael (who I don't even know like at all and no disrespect intended) has said that we can pretty much trust the English translations in Street Fighter IV and beyond. Let's say you believe that. If you do then what's the purpose of maintaining the guide? Read what is provided for you in English and you are fine.

    Capcom themselves releases or approves SF Eternal, the WW Encyclopedia and the recent Capcom Character Encyclopedia full of mistranslations, mistakes and errors when it comes to SF characters. This is as much as they care about SF's story for English readers and about as much as they want you to know.

    I can go deeper into detail if you want but to play nice and not names, Studio Udon doesn't want the guide around. Neither does Capcom-Unity (ask them to sticky a plot guide creation thread in the SF forum, see what happens. At best if I say it and whoever in charge over there reads this and wants to make me look stupid and sticky it, please go ahead). Most of SRK doesn't (see me posting this in the FAN FICTION FORUM).

    If you work on the guide, realize you are doing Capcom's work for free and they do not want you to do it or endorse you in any way. You are giving up your time (and it's a lot of time. Time which you can be writing a book, hell curing cancer) while Capcom is quite happy that you go with the shitty versions of translations they put out, Wikipedia and SF Wikis. And in the case of future games, you can trust the English translation in those games supposedly.

    And this is what most people do out there in the real world nowadays. People still go around saying "Righ-you." People are idiotic assholes for the most part who you can't educate if you tried. If you still say Righ-you and are playing SF4/SSF4 seriously, go kill yourself you fucking moron.

    I'm not knocking the efforts to continue this guide. It's a different generation from all of us that have worked on the older version back in the day. This generation may need its own guide and that's totally fine. Just wanted to point out things that you may or may not be aware of so you can decide how and why you wish to proceed. Know that your back is to the wall and you will find that the majority of people involved in the community will give you zero support. If this is something that empowers you I envy that enthusiasm. If this is something that dissuades you, it's entirely understandable. Perhaps these are all things you know but you should definitely be aware of them before you decide to give up tons of free time.

    As always despite my tone I am still a huge fan of Capcom properties and characters. Know that I'll always support fans and fan projects. If you ever need anything from me let me know and I'll be around.

    Post edited by Sano on
  • gcrostagcrosta Joined: Posts: 1
    if anyone wants to use them/read them here are some versions of the plto guide
    tiamat 4.4 version (the last) http://www.streetfightercorporation.com/street_fighter_plot.txt
    the 5.0 (last version i found) from waybackmachine http://web.archive.org/web/20120520230713/http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/variousinfopages/streetfighterplotguide.txt
  • FirestreakRodimusFirestreakRodimus Joined: Posts: 94
    thanks, it seems like the plot guide project has been silenced for different reasons.

    Maybe in another ten years when we see Street Fighter V, we'll see re-newed interest.
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,705
    Maybe in another ten years when we see Street Fighter V, we'll see re-newed interest.
    We can only hope. :(

    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

    Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

    Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

    My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • FirestreakRodimusFirestreakRodimus Joined: Posts: 94
    I maintain they should seriously consider another SF game but not a fighting game. Make it a fighting adventure type game using the story of SF as the backdrop. There's enough material they could do it. Just avoid the mistakes of going ultra gritty like Streetwise did trying to be GTA.
  • Zero_ELECZero_ELEC Joined: Posts: 3
  • RokisephRokiseph The Subtle Rushdowner. Joined: Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ... I come back after years and this is happening. Now I wish that I am a billionaire so that I have the time to help to work on this with the rest of you guys...tsk...
    K-Groove - "Under End" Team Todo, Haoh, Gief
    "The End" Team R4 - Dan
    I tell Dan everyday "Just because you're passionate does NOT mean you're talented
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So disappointed to come back to this community and see so much dissonance regarding the plot guide. I don't know what happened but I really hope this project did not die. I also think it is best to start from scratch, find a new way to interpret all the data and reconcile the contradictions in the plot while making the least number of assumptions in the process.

    If you guys need a writer/editor who also happens to love SF, hit me up.
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Seriously? A whole year after being given Tiamat's last draft and nothing to show for it?

    Gouki: "Haji to shirei!"

    Gouki, Gen, Gouken all together: "SHOUSHI!!"
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    Sorry, Vas...but you fucked shit up in the guide so bad it A) took the wind out of peoples sails and B) is a big mess to correct.
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    vasili10 wrote: »
    Seriously? A whole year after being given Tiamat's last draft and nothing to show for it?
    Seriously? A whole year after deciding not to show up here anymore and then you do it anyway, just for some generic asshole statement?
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    DRW wrote: »
    vasili10 wrote: »
    Seriously? A whole year after being given Tiamat's last draft and nothing to show for it?
    Seriously? A whole year after deciding not to show up here anymore and then you do it anyway, just for some generic asshole statement?

    No shit.

    Throws a bitch fit when he gets shown up, refuses to help and collaborate when he can't act as a total (sham of an) authority on the material...then comes back a year later to sperg out over the fact that no one has had time to fix his fucking mess. Geez, it's almost like people have lives outside the plot guide.
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    YagamiFire wrote: »
    Sorry, Vas...but you fucked shit up in the guide so bad it A) took the wind out of peoples sails and B) is a big mess to correct.

    :rofl: Ooh cute, translation: "sorry but we're too lazy to back up what our mouths spouted earlier."
    DRW wrote: »
    Seriously? A whole year after deciding not to show up here anymore and then you do it anyway, just for some generic asshole statement?

    Since when is this thread Warriors Fate? I've never left from SRK, just from WF. Guess you didn't decipher the memo correctly over there...zanen datta na.
    YagamiFire wrote: »
    No shit.

    Oh but there is, on your faces. The guide is back as 5.u thanks to Capcom of Japan and Ultra Street Fighter 4, and this forum is not and will no longer be spoonfed from it.

    All lives now resumed, you're welcome.
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    edited September 2014
    Seriously, Vas you've become such a sad little troll. You had what was apparently the one thing in your life taken away under absolutely embarrassing circumstances and now the best you can do is come troll that other people haven't the time to work on the project that was your responsibility and that you abused for your own self-aggrandizement.

    No, the guide is back to where it was because of YOU and because of your actions and your inability to actually accept the advancement of Street Fighters plot in necessary ways and directions. Because things happened in the story that you didn't like you threw a fit and then tried to bury those things as if YOU could dictate what was or wasn't canon.

    No one needs to be spoon fed from you or from the plot guide. For fucks sake, I've had a better understanding of the major plot points than you BECAUSE I haven't been slavishly devoted to the plot guide as some dogma.

    Your attitude and actions over the last couple years have obliterated any respect I, and I'm sure others, could have for you. Go back to sadly lamenting the loss of any internet authority (already a pathetic concept) you may have had in your little corner of the Street Fighter world and fapping to Gouken's daughter, Vas.
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    :rofl: Aww, keep sleeping on that side of the bed dear, seeing as you can't even discern what a fit is or what a lament is.

    You think I'm a troll then why would you bother responding at all? To defend dead decisions? Just let the assumed ranting run dry and let the proven-pointless thread grow dormant once more.
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,953
    edited September 2014
    Vas, just stop.

    The only thing looking pointless thus far is your presence here and your history with the plot guide since all your contributions were deleted by you and you've been disgraced. Either contribute or continue to have your trolling pointed out for the sad little display it is.
    Post edited by YagamiFire on
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

    I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

    Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    YagamiFire wrote: »
    Vas, just stop.

    :rofl: After you.
  • mikrosmikros Yo, Joe! Joined: Posts: 1,021
    I think I’ve had a moderate stance in the whole drama. I appreciate Vasili’s work in the guide. I’ve defended his work when I’ve thought it’s been due and I’ve criticized it when I’ve thought it’s been due as well. I still think the same.

    Now, honestly, Vasili, I’ve taken a quick read to 5.u and I have to say that you’ve wasted a very good chance at showing you had learned something from “the incident”.
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    vasili10 wrote: »
    Ooh cute, translation: "sorry but we're too lazy to back up what our mouths spouted earlier."

    What exactly did their mouths spouted? Did they brag "Hey, we can do a much, much better plot guide", so that ridicule is justified? Or did they just say things like "Hm, since Vasili quit, maybe we should continue the plot guide on our own"? Because in the latter case, I don't really see any statements that require to be "backed up".
    vasili10 wrote: »
    Since when is this thread Warriors Fate? I've never left from SRK, just from WF. Guess you didn't decipher the memo correctly over there...zanen datta na.

    If we were all robots who worked on simple binary logic, you would have a point. But since we're people whose brains understand intention and context, your statement makes no sense:

    No, this isn's the Warriors' Fate thread. Nevertheless, it's a thread that directly derived from it. Not only that, but it was created specifically in the context of you leaving the plot section. Therefore, writing here contradicts your claim that you're through with it.
    Otherwise, your claim would have been pointless in the first place. Because you could always answer any statement from the Warriors' Fate thread by creating a new thread. And according to your logic, in this case you technically wouldn't have contradicted your own statement, since you hadn't posted in the Warriors' Fate thread.

    You see how nonsensical this is?
    It's like saying that you won't buy anything from a specific store again, but then you buy something from the seller when he opens a sales booth at a local fair, claiming that this doesn't contradict your statement since you were only talking about the store.
    But every person who doesn't work like a computer realizes that it really makes no difference in practice.
    vasili10 wrote: »
    The guide is back as 5.u thanks to Capcom of Japan and Ultra Street Fighter 4, and this forum is not and will no longer be spoonfed from it.

    Erm, in how far does this make a difference? Whoever desires to read it can read it and whoever desires to discuss it can discuss it. So, why is the fact that this forum won't be "spoonfed" from it a disadvantage again?

    mikros wrote: »
    Now, honestly, Vasili, I’ve taken a quick read to 5.u and I have to say that you’ve wasted a very good chance at showing you had learned something from “the incident”.

    And? Did he include some more conspiracy theories or anything noteworthy that you noticed?
  • mikrosmikros Yo, Joe! Joined: Posts: 1,021
    edited September 2014
    He just kept them all, the Gen and Gouken impostors, refers to Poison in masculine grammar, keeps neglecting to mention Charlie's name from SF4, etcetera, etcetera. I don't think he marked anything as speculation or did anything else to explain himself or I don't know what. It's as if nothing happened.

    I'm not sure if he added anything else of note, I just scrolled to certain parts to see how they read.
  • DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 439
    edited September 2014
    Referring to Poison as "he" never made sense to me. Would Vasili do this to real persons as well?

    If no, then why does he do it in the plot guide? Because the plot guide is based on the Japanese canon? Erm, yeah. The question with which pronouns a certain real person refers to Poison has nothing to do with canon in the first place.

    The statement "Poison is a newhalf" is a statement about canon. (For example, "Poison is 100% a woman" would be an incorrect, non-canon statement.)
    But if you or me or Vasili refers to Poison as "him" or "her" is in no way related to canon at all. (I.e. the statement "Poison uses the skills she learned in the Mad Gear Gang" is no less correct or canon than the statement "Poison uses the skills he learned in the Mad Gear Gang.")

    I mean, if he writes an essay about some 17th century novel, would he instist to say that a certain character in the story "killeth" another one instead of that he kills another one?

    Same with the plot guide: It's supposed to retell the canon facts of the Japanese canon, not to sound like it was written by a Japanese guy itself and imitate their style of narration.

    So, linking your usage of pronouns to the speaking style of the people who declare the canon of a story? That's just retarded.
2
Sign In or Register to comment.