The Sanwa and Seimitsu FAQ

Comments

• Paik4LifePaik4Life Team HnI Joined: Posts: 1,212
    I opened the e-clip by just forcefully bending it, then I put it on, then I just closed it with some pliers. Not the best way, I'm sure, but meh. I never took off a Sei e-clip after that.

~Paik
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I got a question, In japan what sticks do they use for 3rd strike sanwa or seimitsu. Cause i'm going there soon and the only japanese stick i have used is the sanwa that came with my hrap. thx
  • Chaosdragon13Chaosdragon13 Joined: Posts: 295
    I prefer happ buttons over sanwas, but there is absolutely not enough depth to put competitions in here. I just wanted to know if there exists a happ button with a smaller mounting depth than 1.75 inches (which is what I have room for in the agetec) or if there are sanwa or seimitsu buttons that are a little more resistant like happs when pressed. I prefer the springier feel, and the sanwas seem to go off too easily for me.

Going off of the Happ website the only shorter buttons they have look to be sanwa OBSN-24 rip offs:
    http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/601200xx.htm

Other than that they are all longer buttons. The only thing that you could try to do if you are really set on happ buttons in a smaller case is mod a competition or something like that. It might be a little tough but it should be do-able. It would be similar to how I modded some competitions to have wood tops, only you would have to cut the threaded area and the spring. The only thing I am not sure of is how good the spring would be after you cut it.

I could give it a try if you want. I do have a left over competition I am not using, though the only problem is I dont have a spring for it. So I could try modding everything but the spring.
    I got a question, In japan what sticks do they use for 3rd strike sanwa or seimitsu. Cause i'm going there soon and the only japanese stick i have used is the sanwa that came with my hrap. thx

I believe 3S is that only main fighting game where Seimitsu LS-32 are used at SBO.
    Going off of the Happ website the only shorter buttons they have look to be sanwa OBSN-24 rip offs:

They aren't rip-offs, they ARE Sanwa OBSF-24.

~Paik
  • Steve FSteve F Hidden ST Character Joined: Posts: 397

Other than that they are all longer buttons. The only thing that you could try to do if you are really set on happ buttons in a smaller case is mod a competition or something like that. It might be a little tough but it should be do-able. It would be similar to how I modded some competitions to have wood tops, only you would have to cut the threaded area and the spring. The only thing I am not sure of is how good the spring would be after you cut it.

I could give it a try if you want. I do have a left over competition I am not using, though the only problem is I don't have a spring for it. So I could try modding everything but the spring.

Yeah, best case for me would be to have competitions in there, I have been looking at Korean Crown stuff, but there's no spring in there, so it won't feel the same. I was thinking that the hard part would be after you cut the spring and the threaded area, would it hold together well enough? I guess you'd have to use some epoxy or something to hold it together. It'd be awesome of you if you could see if it would hold up after being modded like that! Thing is, the button might feel weird after it's modded like that, which might defeat the purpose... So yeah, definitely try it out, and keep me posted.
    My Webcomic: http://steve-fuentes.livejournal.com
    Oh, and if you like my Avatar, RockCho made it.
  • pyro_dragunpyro_dragun Chun-licious Joined: Posts: 164
    I've got a question related to getting sanwa and seimitsu parts so this thread was probably my best choice to post it.

I have a friend who is going to go to Japan to study abroad, and well, since she's going to Japan, I figured, hey why not have her get me some arcade parts while over there, then bring them back here? Anyways, my question is where do they sell these parts over in Japan? Can you buy them at specialized hobby shops, or do you still have to order parts straight from the company?

Thanks.
    CvS2 - C- Cammy, Chun, Sagat R2
    ST: Chun, Cammy
    I believe 3S is that only main fighting game where Seimitsu LS-32 are used at SBO.

~Paik

Thanks. So for all other fighting games like super turbo , cvs2, and melty blood they use sanwa or does it depends on the game/Arcade?
    Anyways, my question is where do they sell these parts over in Japan? Can you buy them at specialized hobby shops, or do you still have to order parts straight from the company?

Thanks.

Go to Akihabara there are a few shops like Mak Japan that stock some parts.
    Thanks. So for all other fighting games like super turbo , cvs2, and melty blood they use sanwa or does it depends on the game/Arcade?

It of course varies, I just mention SBO because it's the biggest tourney. Just go with whatever you like better.

~Paik
  • lw3lw3 Joined: Posts: 277
    Which is more durable; microswitches or leaf switches. Does any company still use leaf switches?
  • TingBoyTingBoy Tingaling Joined: Posts: 1,709
    Which is more durable; microswitches or leaf switches. Does any company still use leaf switches?

Microswitches. That's why most arcade companies use microswitches instead of leaf switches. They can withstand more activations.
  • Kid FlashKid Flash Joined: Posts: 366
    In your opinion, which stick do you think is better a wico bat top or a happ comp. Cause i had brought a few awhile ago and i never got the chance to see whihc one play better.
    CvS 2- K- Geese, Yama, R2 Cammy
    AE-Rose
    GGXXAC/Xrd-Ky
    3rd Strike-Ryu, Chun
    SF5: Kolin

Steam: Tony Iota 54k
    CFN: Archer54k
    In your opinion, which stick do you think is better a wico bat top or a happ comp. Cause i had brought a few awhile ago and i never got the chance to see whihc one play better.

Never used a Wico before and if I have, I wasn't aware of it
  • Kid FlashKid Flash Joined: Posts: 366
    I figured classic is so much better...plus they sold a set of 2 on ebay a while of ago.
    CvS 2- K- Geese, Yama, R2 Cammy
    AE-Rose
    GGXXAC/Xrd-Ky
    3rd Strike-Ryu, Chun
    SF5: Kolin

Steam: Tony Iota 54k
    CFN: Archer54k
  • ZoogstinZoogstin Joined: Posts: 1,021
    I know this question has been asked before but how easy is it, to take off the mounting plate on a JLF-TP-8YT?
  • kekken3kekken3 team Stupid Grappler Joined: Posts: 59
    It's easy. The 4 screws are fit very tightly though, so make sure to use a screwdriver with a large enough head for a good fit, as it'll require some force. You don't want to damage the screws.
  • ZoogstinZoogstin Joined: Posts: 1,021
    k thanks.
    would Sanwa OBSF-30 fit into a namco arcade stick?
  • NotANoob81NotANoob81 Shinkiro Crackhead Eyes Joined: Posts: 907
    Rocking a CRT display until something better comes along.
  • FstrikeFstrike Joined: Posts: 87
    Hi I'm new to the whole Custom stick building and was wondering what's the recommended wood thickness of the top panel minus the lexan/polycarbonate if i'm putting 30mm Sanwa screw-in buttons? Sorry if this has been asked cause i couldnt find the answer.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,348
    I have a Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting cabinet, can i just buy Sanwa or Seimitsu parts & install it with out modding anything? I believe the Control Panel is made out thin metal.
  • SazaeSazae ... Joined: Posts: 2,140
    On one of my sticks the Sanwa JLF has gotten very loose. The throw on it is huge now which makes it pretty tough for me to play games like ST and Guilty Gear. Does anyone know if there is some way to tighten up a JLF? I have a couple of others that are in sticks not really in use right now but I don't want to have to go swapping out sticks if I don't have to.
    Hi, I just brought a LS-32-02 and installed it in my hrap 2. When play 3rd strike I've been having problems doing fireball motions and i notice that the corners feel sorta jagged and sharp, So i opened it up and found out it was the blue restrictor plate has rounded edges.Is it ok to take the plate off or is there another solution to my problem. Thanks.
    It has a square restrictor. All japanese style sticks have them. The stock Sanwa JLF that comes with your HRAP2 should've felt the same way. Try not to follow the edges to do your QCF motions. Just practice and get used to it, buy an octagonal restrictor for your JLF, or buy a Sanwa JLW w/ round restrictor.
    Hi I'm new to the whole Custom stick building and was wondering what's the recommended wood thickness of the top panel minus the lexan/polycarbonate if i'm putting 30mm Sanwa screw-in buttons? Sorry if this has been asked cause i couldnt find the answer.

Having a total panel thickness of more than 10mm won't really work for screw ins.
    I have a Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting cabinet, can i just buy Sanwa or Seimitsu parts & install it with out modding anything? I believe the Control Panel is made out thin metal.

If it currently has US parts in it, then yes you'll have to mod it.
    On one of my sticks the Sanwa JLF has gotten very loose. The throw on it is huge now which makes it pretty tough for me to play games like ST and Guilty Gear. Does anyone know if there is some way to tighten up a JLF? I have a couple of others that are in sticks not really in use right now but I don't want to have to go swapping out sticks if I don't have to.

Replace the spring with a tighter one. Also, the throw won't become larger with time. Throw is always set. It never increases or decreases without physical modification to the joystick.
    Hi, I just brought a LS-32-02 and installed it in my hrap 2. When play 3rd strike I've been having problems doing fireball motions and i notice that the corners feel sorta jagged and sharp, So i opened it up and found out it was the blue restrictor plate has rounded edges.Is it ok to take the plate off or is there another solution to my problem. Thanks.

You can remove the restrictor, but it will not change the movement of the LS-32 stick. Also, TingBoy is correct in what he said.

~Paik
  • SazaeSazae ... Joined: Posts: 2,140
    What is the easiest way to get yo the spring in the JLF? I have never disassembled one of them and woudn't know where to begin.
  • TheRealNeoGeoTheRealNeoGeo Arcadeparts Joined: Posts: 3,150
    Sazae
    Remove the e-clip on the bottom of the shaft and the rest will be automatic :).
  • hazardhazard Joined: Posts: 12
    on the subject of e-clips, is there an easy way to remove the LS-32 e-clip?

I've had ago but it feels as though it may snap if I use too much force.
    i dunno. seems easy to take off for me. Just take a flate head screw driver and pry it off.
    Removing the clip off the LS-32 you need a special tool like this one:
    LS32toola.jpg
    LS32toolb.jpg

Small video I just made:
    http://akihabarashop.com/misc/LS32tool.avi
    Do I have to buy that thing from freagin' Seimitsu or can I grab that at my local electrical tool and supply house?

I guess I gotta go look n' see next week. :wgrin:
    Timoe
    In Sweden you can get them anywhere, should be no problem in the land of the free.
  • hazardhazard Joined: Posts: 12
    nice one per, just what i was looking for.

There called circlip pliers if anyones interested.
  • shrimpnoodlesshrimpnoodles duh Joined: Posts: 428
    anyone has the dimension of sanwa JLF? maybe I missed it when I was looking through this thread but I didn't see it.
    also http://akihabarashop.com/catalog/seimitsu-LS3201.jpg I only see the height of the stick, what's the length and width of this?
  • pyro_dragunpyro_dragun Chun-licious Joined: Posts: 164
    I'm just wondering, is the Sanwa JLF still the most popular stick for fighting games in Japan now? From what I have heard, a lot of 2d fighters are now using the Seimitsu LS-32 series in cabinets instead of the Sanwa, and vice versa for 3d fighting games. Just seeing if anybody can confirm/deny this.
    CvS2 - C- Cammy, Chun, Sagat R2
    ST: Chun, Cammy
  • B&BB&B av by Vegett0 Joined: Posts: 479
    I'm just wondering, is the Sanwa JLF still the most popular stick for fighting games in Japan now? From what I have heard, a lot of 2d fighters are now using the Seimitsu LS-32 series in cabinets instead of the Sanwa, and vice versa for 3d fighting games. Just seeing if anybody can confirm/deny this.

I would like to know that. Plus, what is the OEM stick used for Melty Blood and Guilty gear?

One more thing, will the Seimitsu microswitch fit in a Hori button? Ps-14-g to be exact.

Thanks,

BBH
    "I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy." ~ Mark Wahlberg
  • vizardvizard SUPA! Joined: Posts: 456

I believe the LS-32 are used in most older games like 3rd strike, CvS2, alpha 3, super turbo, etc and the sanwa jlf are used in the newer 2d games like guity gears, melty blood,Arcana heart full!, and most 3d games i.e: tekken 5: dr and virtua fighter.
    "Yo if I can't find where you guys play on google maps.......... you guys are straight up ass" -HARD BREAD
    Flare <12:15am>:seriously to all serious newcomers to 3s:
    move to japan or quit
    shit's so gay here
    so a JLW and a JLF only differ in feel and wiring, and the kind of restrictor plates you can get from them?

also, I was planning on using a JLF with an octagonal gate but I read a few pages earlier that octagon plates have problems with diagonals, is this a legitimate concern or is more of a player preference thing?
  • R-JiveR-Jive adoket Joined: Posts: 220
    Just a quick question, the Seimitsu PS-14K snap-in at 2 3 or 4 mm material thickness right ?
  • AmbiguousCrosupAmbiguousCrosup Science and Honor Joined: Posts: 562
    Ok, y'all I need some help on this one:
    What stick is this?
    1103070100arj1.th.jpg
    AFAIK it looks like an old Seimitsu does anyone know the model?
    Urien isn't just a man in a thong when RX uses him; it's more like the medium through which he destroys lives. -Gaijinblaze
    Looks like a Seimitsu LS-32 (no -01)