The NEW South Korea thread: Looking for Matches? Head to Cong, Anyday but Monday!

Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy.Joined: Posts: 13,878
edited November 2016 in World
WELCOME TO THE NEW KOREA THREAD!

Thanks for the many memories, old thread, but the original front page doesn't hold updated info, and D.Fox isn't even over here anymore.

WE NOW HAVE A KAKAO OPEN GROUP, follow this link on your mobile or tablet to join: https://open.kakao.com/o/gZgv4wp

If you're visiting, drop a line to let us know where you're planning to be and when you plan on coming out to play. If you're moving over here or going to be stationed over here, let us know where you're going to be living, and I will post your info up in the OP. Using the following format:
SRK Tag:
Location: (If you're on base, giving me the name of the base is fine)
Games Played:
Xbox Live Gamertag:
PSN Username:
KakaoTalk ID:

WHERE DO WE PLAY?

For Street Fighter, pretty much all the arcades are dead zones, and the ones that do exist don't have very good players left. There were two spots for AE arcade play in Seoul, TM Game Land at Isu Station, and Cheonho Fun Zone at Cheonho station. The arcade at Isu closed in early 2013, but Cheonho has now upgraded their cabinets to AE2012, so there may be play out there.

For now, in Seoul, our main place to play is at ArcadeStream. It's console gaming centers, with fixed rate fees for playing there.

Cong Tuh - Seocho-gu, Seocho-dong 1442-10, Subo Building B1F \ 서초구 서초동 1442-10 지하1층 (Closest station is Nambu Bus Terminal \ 남부터미널 Line 3
https://www.facebook.com/congpage
Entry Fee: Sliding scale based on how long you stay, but runs no more than 10,000 KRW for 12 hours.
Games Played: SFV, BBCF, GGXrdR, anything that you want to play. BC McMild (Owner) told me that players have been playing around in SFEX2 as well.
New old place. With Drakefang nixing ArcadeStream, this is the place where everyone will be looking to go. BC McMild is a great guy and accommodating and speaks decent English. He'll basically run whatever game you want and has a plethora of systems, games, and sticks and pads to choose from. He also has a ton of setups, and is situated in a basement where noise is not an issue. Runs things every day but Monday.

Video directions to to get to Cong

Green Arcade (Closest station is Daerim station \ 대림역, Line 2 or Line 6
Entry Fee Free. I'm not sure on the price per game.
Games Played TTT2, TTT2, and TTT2
I haven't been here, but I think it goes without saying that this is one of the most famous arcades in the world, definitely most famous in Seoul. If you're a hardcore Tekken player, you owe it to yourself to come here, as this is pretty much where the best of the best gather in whatever iteration of Tekken is fresh out the box now.
This video is not by me, but thankfully, someone has the same idea as me regarding video directions in Seoul:

UPCOMING EVENTS

USF4 Monthlies: Last Saturday afternoon of every month, ArcadeStream - Seoul This a well frequented tournament with a lot of Korea's best coming out. 10,000 venue fee gets you one alcoholic beverage, and another 10,000 gets you into the tournament. This tournament will also be streamed live on Twitch.

WHERE TO BUY STICKS/SYSTEMS/GAMES

There are several places to buy of notoriety over here. You can go to the world famous Yongsan Electronics Market (Yongsan Station \ 용산역, Jung-ang Line/Line 1), Gangbyeon TechnoMart (Gangbyeon Station \ 강변역, Line 2), or Nambu Terminal Techno Mart (Nambu Terminal Station \ 남부터미날역, Line 3). There's a small game store at Coex, but not much to look at there, the three I mentioned are good. Comparison shop here, there are many vendors inside each market. Ask them prices for what you want, (이건 얼마예요? - ee-guhn uhlmahyeyo?) and come back if you find they have the best price.

I have seen everything from TEs, to Joytrons, to Saulabis, to Horis for sale over here, so if you have a specific stick you want, you can probably find it.

Alternatively, you can order an Omni and various arcade parts from eTokki.com. This site is ran by Laugh, and has same day shipping in Korea for a flat rate of 3000KRW.

As for games, this is a trickier subject. With PS3, there's no region locks on games, so you can buy whatever games you want over here. Some might be Korean or Asian language only, so be careful, when in doubt, check on the Asian editions of those games on Play-Asia before buying.

For 360 games, if you have a Western 360, it will depend on the game. Some games will be free of region locks, where you can play them on any 360, and some will be NTSC-J, and only work on Asian 360s. Once again, check the Asian version of the game you intend to buy on Play-Asia for compatibility before buying.

PLAYERS LIST

Seoul
SRK Tag:Philly-one
Locale: Hongdae
Games Played: USF4
Xbox Live Gamertag: ArcadeStream

SRK Tag: Palamdungi
Games Played: USF4, nba, nfl, nhl
Xbox Live Gamertag: palamdungi

SRK Tag: Beeftime
Games Played: SSF4AE2012
SteamID: Beeftime
KakaoTalk ID: jarena3

SRK Tag: n4c0n
Games Played: USFIV
Steam: n4c0n
KakaoTalk ID: n4c0n

SRK: hayan
Games Played: USF4, Persona
XBL: adpang
Kakao: adpang10

Incheon
SRK Tag: Dan_town
Games Played: USF4
PSN Username: thisisadventure
KakaoTalk ID: dantown

Bucheon
SRK Tag:Endofdreamz
Games Played: USF4, Tekken. blazblue, guilty gear, persona
Xbox Live Gamertag: Zsabre13
PSN Username:Endofdreamz
KakaoTalk ID:ffxhd

Kunsan AB
SRK Tag: Manny2DGod/Megamanny
Games Played: AE SSF2T/HDR
PSN Username: MegamannyX
XBL/GFWL: Megamanny

Osan AB
SRK Tag: Hq32oL
Games Played: MvC2, Tekken Series
PSN Username: Hq32oL
Phone: 010-6683-0417 (also used for Kakao)

SRK Tag: MXBrugalz
Games Played: SSF4, SFXT
Xbox Live Gamertag: Mx Brugalz

SRK tag: RagingStormX
Arriving: November 2015
Games: USF4, CvS2, ST, A2, wanting to learn KOF13
XBL: jeffhizzle254
PSN: jeffhizzle254
Steam: jeffhizzle
Fightcade: RagingStormX

Suwon
SRK Tag: Angry Abel
Games Played: SSFIV AE, BlazBlue: CP, Skullgirls, KoFXIII, SF3, SF2, TTT2
PSN Username: rabidabel33
KakaoTalk ID: jsheils

Pyeongtaek
SRK Tag: krnred225
Games Played: SFIV series
Xbox Live Gamertag: N/A
PSN Username: N/A
KakaoTalk ID: minkyang

Daegu
SRK Tag: HaruhiFTW
Games Played: 1 hour of AE
Xbox Live Gamertag: HaruhiFTW
KakaoTalk ID:

Daejeon
SRK Tag: scratchback
Games Played: AE
PSN Username: sunswipe78

SRK Tag: SFinDaejeon
Games Played: AE mostly, but I'd love to play ST...
PSN Username: Doctor_Dav13
KakaoTalk ID: 010-7404-2479

Busan
Empty for now

NOTE: We also have a KakaoTalk group chat available. Please add me, and let me know you're from SRK, and I will add you to the group chat.

FAQ

Q. Will my N. American/European Xbox 360 work in Korea?
A. European, definitely yes, and that goes for Euro PS3s too. Depending on the country, you won't even have to buy an adapter for it to fit in a socket, as South Korea uses the Schuko (Type F) socket. For North America, yes, but it's trickier. Not only do you need to get a new plug adapter to fit into the socket, you either have to get a new power brick or buy a voltage converter. American systems are 120V only, Korea uses 220V. I don't know how much converters are, but I bought a new power brick for my 360 for 25000KRW at Gangbyeon.

Q. Will my N. American PS3 work in Korea?
A. It should. I've seen video of fat American PS3s being ran without a converter in Germany, and Germany is 220V. If you're worried about it, then you can look at the back or bottom of your PS3 for the voltage rating. If it says 100-240V, then you're safe, and you just need to get an adapter so it will fit into a Korean socket. If it says 120V, then you will need to buy a converter.

Q. Why are there no good arcades anymore?
A. Economics suck. Korea had a good arcade scene even 2 years ago, suddenly it's drying up. Places like Cong and CafeID are much more cost efficient to put in long hours of play and still get the social experience that an arcade offers. Some games were also never available outside of Japan on arcade (e.g. VF5FS), so many players gravitated toward home console play.

There's probably other reasons as well, but with CafeID and Cong, the only place to really consider going for that 100% authentic arcade experience, Green Arcade is about the only place left.

Q. How is online play in Korea?
A. Better than the West, for sure. Korea has one of the best average internet speeds in the world, 100MBPS download and upload speeds are not uncommon, and they have good pings with Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. The caliber of play will be better than in the west, and the netcode for SF4 functions better than in the west. Marvel netcode is still abysmal here, and I don't know about any other games.

Q. Can I use Korean XBL codes/purchasing with my American account?
A. No. In order to use Korean payment methods, including prepaids, on XBL, you must migrate your account to Korea. There's a benefit in doing it, in that you can have the payment tacked onto your phone bill balance, and pay all of it together. If that's not enough of an incentive for you, and you have a way to pay for stuff on Paypal, you'll be needing to get codes from your native land on eBay, or put a credit card on file that you can purchase points/subscriptions in your home currency with.

Q. GRRR why can't I find opponents online in Korea?
A. Set your region to Japan. It's easy to do on Xbox Live, but you'll literally have to sign up a new account for PSN. Unless you have a Korean national ID card (and I think it has to be a citizen's card, not a foreign resident card), you can't get a Korean PSN account. In all honesty, a Japanese account will net you the most players, since nearly everyone in Asia sets theirs to Japan as well. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I believe you can change your country to Japan in your Steam profile to ensure you get the Japan flag on USF4. For GGPO no one's going to care so don't even bother trying, Korean flags are fine.

Here's a guide on how to set up a Japanese PSN account: http://kotaku.com/5982662/how-to-make-a-japanese-psn-account-on-the-new-psn-and-how-to-navigate-the-store

Q. What about [old/obscure game]? Is there a scene for it here?
A. That's a tough question, because I don't know every scene. There used to be Melty Blood being played in Isu, but since the arcade closed, I don't know where they play anymore. I know there are ST players, but I don't know where there are cabinets in Korea. I have had a couple players give me their GGPO usernames from here though. There's apparently a SF2CE scene over here, but I don't know where they play.

Other games, you really got me. I haven't heard anything about CVS2 or 3S about here in a LONG time. But BC at Cong has nearly every game you'd want to play if you know someone that will play it with you, and I've seen SamsonK and others play 3rd Strike at Cong before, so it's possible.

Q. What's the difference between Korean arcade hardware and Japanese? I've heard there's a difference.
A. Japanese sticks have a gate and use springs for resistance. Korean sticks have no gate, and use rubber grommets for resistance. The difference is night and day, and if you play on Korean cabinets, you'll have an adjustment phase trying to find your diagonals properly. But they are still pretty quality.

Japanese have two button types, Sanwa and Seimitsu. Sanwa have ligh resistance, and you can actually breathe on them and activate the buttons. Seimitsu are still pretty responsive, but far less than Seimitsu. Korean Crown buttons are sort of in the middle, and have a more rubbery feel to them than Sanwa or Seimitsu. Note that I said, rubbery, not cheap. There is a difference.
Post edited by Missing Person on
XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk

Comments

• Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,878
    edited November 2013
    Some glossary SF terms in Korean (AKA, how to not need help button checking your stick at Cong/ID):

약 (Yak) - Light
    중 (Jung) - Medium
    강 (Gang) - Strong
    펀치 (Peonchee) Punch
    킼 (Kik) - Kick
    슈파스파 (Syoopa Seupa) - Super Street Fighter 4 (Abbr.)
    철권 (Cheol-kwon) - Tekken

I'll be working on this glossary as we go.
    Post edited by Missing Person on
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Hq32oLHq32oL Joined: Posts: 10
    edited October 2013
    Is it possible to post one last time in the old thread to direct to this one?

...and need more tekken players :(
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 1,043
    I can't believe that in all of Seoul there are no arcades to play AE and in the one place that does have it it's vanilla? That's just sad and not what I expected when I came to the country. Even though I'm in Daejeon I was eventually planning on heading down to the Seoul area to check out some good arcades for a little AE action but guess not anymore. Anyway, hope to meet some of you guys in the future or maybe get some games online when I get my PS3.
  • EraldoCoilEraldoCoil Hates Mexican food, is Mexican. Joined: Posts: 430
    Great new thread, Corey! Hopefully you come back soon so we can hang again!
    (El Rado) I'm Mike G.
    Fresno's best 3S player
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,878
    @scratchback: Definitely kind of raw that there's no arcades, but I feel like Cong is a comparable experience, plus, for a lot of foreigners, there's a major downside to playing in Korean arcades because they have a hard time adjusting to K-sticks.

But some of my fondest gaming memories in Seoul were had at Isu and Cheonho, so it was really sad to walk by Isu arcade and find that it was a Japanese restaurant, and Cheonho's now vanilla only.

Seems like the last bastion for arcades is Japan, and they're dying out too. Well, I guess China, but the good arcades over here are few and far between.

Mike, definitely looking to getting back to Seoul for some major gaming sessions.
    For anyone that sees this.

I will be at CONG today at around 1:30-2 Swing by and lets play some. :)
    (El Rado) I'm Mike G.
    Fresno's best 3S player
  • UDoubleDashUDoubleDash Joined: Posts: 1
    Anyone going to Capcom Cup this weekend?
    Yes. Me, Jason and David will be going.
    (El Rado) I'm Mike G.
    Fresno's best 3S player
  • mintcheeriosmintcheerios Joined: Posts: 24
    Really wish I could go, but I have to work today ㅠㅠ.
  • xero15xero15 Follow me on Twitter Joined: Posts: 4,076
    I forgot about it due to the alcohol... don't judge me :lol:
    I blame... the new generation for wanting things to be easy :annoy:
    I'm that Spider-man guy... or better yet, just call me Z
    If you don't like change you'll like irrelevance even less.
    xero15 wrote: »
    I forgot about it due to the alcohol... don't judge me :lol:

GOD if you only knew how far I am from being in a judgmental position.

I blew off going to Cong with Mike in July due to getting so wasted the night before, I was still throwing up at like 2pm the next day.
  • xero15xero15 Follow me on Twitter Joined: Posts: 4,076
    I'd blame it on the goose but it was more the patron... and the women, but mostly the patron
    I blame... the new generation for wanting things to be easy :annoy:
    I'm that Spider-man guy... or better yet, just call me Z
    If you don't like change you'll like irrelevance even less.
    xero15 wrote: »
    I'd blame it on the goose but it was more the patron... and the women, but mostly the patron

Mine was drinking soju and vodka with russian women at a guesthouse.

That was...I don't even know what I was thinking that night. That was like an episode of Good Idea, Bad Idea on Animaniacs.
  • HaruhiFTWHaruhiFTW Dinked like wow. Joined: Posts: 94
    didn't even realize that this thread was made. haha there was no link to the new one.

Anyway, cool stuff there is a new thread.

SRK Tag: HaruhiFTW
    Games Played: 1 hour of AE
    Xbox Live Gamertag: HaruhiFTW
    KakaoTalk ID:
    edited October 2013
    Also,
    I was looking for a place to buy parts, like a sanwa jlf etc... I know its mentioned here to go to etokki.
    Does etokki ever plan on re-stocking their omni sticks? Also, do they except maestro as a payment method?

Edit:
    Made an account.. only form of payment they take is paypal, so I guess I am out of luck.
    They do from time to time. Like every three months or so. Probably the next batch you'll see is in December.
    They do from time to time. Like every three months or so. Probably the next batch you'll see is in December.

I just noticed they only except paypal so... Paypal doesn' accept maestro T.T

Where's your home bank?
    Where's your home bank?

Well in the states I have BECU, but that card expired last year.
    In Korea I Bank with KB
    If you can get your checking account set up with your stateside bank, then you could still get money in there. I would try to do that. Just need your routing and account number.

I think Korean paypal accounts only work for credit cards only. If they work for bank accounts, like most foreign banks, they tend to only facilitate deposits to the bank and not withdrawls. I'm not sure how easy it is to get KB to give foreigners credit/debit cards, but if China's indicative of anything, it's nearly impossible, for fear that you'll run up a huge debt then skip the country, since they can't pursue you for reimbursement internationally.
    edited October 2013
    If you can get your checking account set up with your stateside bank, then you could still get money in there. I would try to do that. Just need your routing and account number.

I think Korean paypal accounts only work for credit cards only. If they work for bank accounts, like most foreign banks, they tend to only facilitate deposits to the bank and not withdrawls. I'm not sure how easy it is to get KB to give foreigners credit/debit cards, but if China's indicative of anything, it's nearly impossible, for fear that you'll run up a huge debt then skip the country, since they can't pursue you for reimbursement internationally.

I know KB bank will give you a credit card (visa) but they just won't give you a Visa Debit card....

I will just have to have my bank back home re-issue the card and have it sent here so I can transfer money.

Also, if anyone knows. Do Korean Xbox live card codes work on US xbox live accounts, or are the codes region locked?
    If so I will have the same problem as stated before regarding my paypal, bank etc...

EDIT: This also might be some good information to add to the FAQ once we figure it out, or if someone knows.
    No, codes are region-locked. If you want to use the Korean system to subscribe to Live, you must migrate your account to a Korean one. There's one convenience in it in that it can charge the cost of the subscription to your phone bill, if that interests you.

But considering you can get codes quickly and easily off ebay, that may be the best way.

That actually is a good thought, I'll put that up there.
    Been in Daejeon since early September and I think I'm going crazy guys. Fucking hate it here and miss home so much. At least if I could play SF that would ease the daily stress. Was gonna have my ps3 shipped here but turns out it's way more expensive then we thought so now I'm fucked and can't play shit. Was actually contemplating just getting the pc version and play it on my laptop but there's no place around here to get a damn stick. Haven't seen a game store anywhere here and the E-Marts and Homeplus' have jack shit.

Where are all the hot Korean hookers I've heard so much about? Guess that stuff is in Seoul. Maybe that would make this stay more bearable? Kidding guys......maybe.
    edited October 2013
    Been in Daejeon since early September and I think I'm going crazy guys. Fucking hate it here and miss home so much. At least if I could play SF that would ease the daily stress. Was gonna have my ps3 shipped here but turns out it's way more expensive then we thought so now I'm fucked and can't play shit. Was actually contemplating just getting the pc version and play it on my laptop but there's no place around here to get a damn stick. Haven't seen a game store anywhere here and the E-Marts and Homeplus' have jack shit.

Where are all the hot Korean hookers I've heard so much about? Guess that stuff is in Seoul. Maybe that would make this stay more bearable? Kidding guys......maybe.

The first 6 months is tough no matter where you are. You are just going through a bit of culture shock and home sickness. Especially if its your first time living abroad.
    You have to try and maintain a positive outlook though, otherwise you will just hate it...

PS3's are cheap now, you can get a new 250gb for $250 from any store.
    If not, just pick up an XBOX360, you won't have lag issues that way either. (has the bigger online community in asia for AE)

If you have a facebook, check to see if there are any groups that you can join for your are ie: Daejeon Teachers or something like that. Usually they have ones for teachers to get together in your area and help share information activities, and also sell used stuff (playstation) so check that for sure.
    Here is a link you can try, it also shows a bunch of related groups you can join as well https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daejeon-Korea/114720495209997

You probably don't know about Gmarket. It's an online Korean shopping mall where you can literally order anything you have ever wanted and have it directly shipped to your house in a day. Make an account on there, you can find good deals.

Check this it's a great deal, I bought one -> http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=232479035

There are hot Korean women every where hahaha...

Haruhi, really appreciate the help and info bro. It's not culture shock now, I just don't like it here. Basically everything is worse here then compared to back home, at least for me. It also doesn't help that my fiance is home and I miss her like crazy along with many other things. Plus, the people I came here to work for weren't exactly truthful with a lot of things so the daily stress I'm going through is really taking a toll on me but anyway back on topic.

If I could afford a system then I'd get one but with my situation here I can't. So it seems like my only option is to get it for pc and hope to find a stick somewhere around here but I imagine the online community for pc in this region is probably nonexistent so would it even be worth it? Also I'm sure connections to people in the US would be ass and unplayable.
    edited October 2013
    Yup, sounds like me in China right now. I got dicked bad by my employer and the people that even invited me over here. Anger isn't even a descriptive enough word for how I feel around the people I've met here. The expat community has basically saved my life.

Actually, there's some people playing on PC here. I'm pretty sure M. Lizard is a PC player, at least that's what his XBL gamercard insinuates.

Haruhi is right, if you aren't able to find a stick in Daejeon, I'd look on Gmarket. I could also see if I could find a TechnoMart in Daejeon for you, which should be a place to find a stick.

And :lol: gat damn, i share your sentiments on emart. You can't find much there, and what you do find is drastically overpriced.

I almost flipped shit when I was buying a carry-on bottle of shampoo there and they told me the price was 4500. I literally just walked away. I went to the subway, and the exact same bottle of shampoo was 1000. I literally laughed when they told me that as I was pulling out my money.

I pretty much steer clear of emart while I'm in Korea unless it's something that I need to get there. For cheap stuff that I need on the daily, I just hit up Daiso.

TMYK: e-mart used to be Walmart in Korea. They didn't get too much business, and Walmart sold off their controlling interest in the stores to a Korean company, and it became the e-mart we all know and hate.

But seriously, despite the arcades being a ghost, I would strongly suggest you take a train out to Seoul and stay for the weekend, or for a week if you hold out until winter break. At least coming out to Cong, or even hitting up Itaewon for some comfort food/drink would make you feel better. I've actually heard Daejeon is really rough on foreigners.
    Yeah, found you a Technomart.

TechnoWorld: near the KBS tower. Manneyong-dong, Seo-gu. If there are sticks for sale in Daejeon, they would be here. That's the best directions I can give you, but if you wanna PM me your address I could probably hit you up with some detailed directions.
    Thx so much for trying to help. Yeah words just can't explain how I'm feeling here. The worst two months of my life by far and it's not getting better by any means. As far as E-mart goes, that was the very first store I went to when I got here. Needed to go food shopping and was just floored at the prices. I asked myself how anyone could afford to live here. Things that are everywhere in America are like 4 or 5 times more expensive here and everything is just smaller. I can't tell you how much I miss Wal-marts, Targets, Wegmans, etc. Now I know how good Americans really have it and I'll never take anything for granted ever again when I go back home.

I checked google maps and couldn't find Manneyong-dong but did find the Seo-gu area. I'm in the Galma-dong area and it looks kind of close to me but not really sure. I'll try to get there and check it out. I was supposed to go back home in early December because of the three month visa rules but am gonna try to get outta here earlier cause I don't think I can make it till then. The worst part is that I have to come back eventually and I'm already dreading that.
    Not terribly far. By bus, here's the directions. This is just off Galma-dong, (Also in Seo-gu, "gu" is district, and "dong" is subdivisions) but may differ based on your exact address.

Go to the Galma Yuk-gyo bus stop (갈마육교). Take the Geup-haeng (급행) #3 bus 1 stop to Eunhasunegeori (은하수네거리). From there, take the Ganseon (간선) #301 bus 4 stops to Seo-gu Bogeonso (서구보건소) Once you get out, you should be standing right next to IBK bank (기업은행). Walk down the side of the building, turn left when you get to the end of it, then walk straight for a bit. TechnoWorld's entrance should be on your left.

As far as food shopping, don't even bother with e-mart unless you need to get import goods that you can't get anywhere else. Opt for the local non-chain grocery stores. They are the cheapest options. Chain department stores in Korea are wallet-rapes. Positive thing is local mom & pop stores stay open because the chain stores don't compete on price. Negative thing is for foreigners who are used to shopping at said stores get pissed off.

Like I literally HATE walking in e-mart. It takes everything in me to not start seething the moment I walk in there. And yeah, one of the first things I did when I got back to America was kissed the ground at Walmart. But if Walmart did this in the States too, then we'd still be shopping and local only stores and hate Walmart too.

Like the only thing I buy at e-mart is like frying pans and cooking utensils, and I could still probably find them cheaper elsewhere if I really looked. But I honestly never try to go in there. But yeah, buying from a smaller store will shave so much off your bill, and can be about as much as you'd expect on most items from America.
    I curious what you are doing here? If you are leaving and coming so often. You mentioned you'll have to come back?
    I'm here starting a business with some people. Right now our location is still under construction and isn't really close to opening yet. Just one of the many untruths I was told before coming here. I can only stay for three months at a time cause of visa rules. So as long as I leave the country every three months or so I can keep coming back. Having to go through that 14 hour flight to JFK once is bad enough but over and over again is just beyond torturous.
    There's also the option of puddle jumping to Japan for a few days and coming back.

But with severe homesickness, yeah, I'd head home for a bit.
    You should just fly to Japan and back, 2 hours, and you can get 99 dollar tickets
    There's also the option of puddle jumping to Japan for a few days and coming back.

But with severe homesickness, yeah, I'd head home for a bit.

hahaha we said it at the exact same time lol
    Nice, ninja force FTW.

But yeah, doing that jump is a lot better on the physical strain and the pocketbook than JFK.
    Funny you guys should say that cause that was the initial plan. I would fly to Japan every three months and stay for a few days which would have been sick cause I would have loved to get some play at one of the arcades over there or check out Akihabara for some shopping but since my situation turned into a nightmare it's way better to go back home and stay for a while before coming back.
    Yeah, I feel you on that one.

Same thing with China for me. Thankfully, Korea's more or less my second home by now, so any time I get back on the peninsula, I start to feel better. But yeah, going Stateside usually salves over all the crap I deal with on the regular.
    Thinking about hitting up green arcade today..
    Dude, if you did, please give me some directions on how to get there for the OP and a menu of what games they have to offer.
    Add me on kakao