The NEW South Korea thread: Looking for Matches? Head to Cong, Anyday but Monday!

Comments

• xero15xero15 Follow me on Twitter Joined: Posts: 4,074
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU MUTHAFUCKA YOU!!!!! I AM SO PLANNING ON BEING IN THE STATES FOR THAT!!!!! Hold up... I may be back by then... YEEEEEEEES!!!!!!! I NEED PEOPLE TO GO WITH!!!!
    I blame... the new generation for wanting things to be easy :annoy:
    I'm that Spider-man guy... or better yet, just call me Z
    If you don't like change you'll like irrelevance even less.
    I quite literally jumped out my chair when I read that shit
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,845
    xero15 wrote: »
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU MUTHAFUCKA YOU!!!!! I AM SO PLANNING ON BEING IN THE STATES FOR THAT!!!!! Hold up... I may be back by then... YEEEEEEEES!!!!!!! I NEED PEOPLE TO GO WITH!!!!

Me & Mike are talking about it. Cheapest flight we're finding is on a regional carrier for $200 round trip, if we can get some people to pool up for a hotel room, we could make this happen on the cheap.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    edited December 2013
    Let me know. I'm gonna be coming back from the states around that time so if I need to get a ticket I need to make sure all my days line up
    Post edited by xero15 on
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,845
    edited December 2013
    Word.

If we book, Interpark is probably going to be the cheapest. Any English sellers are going to only give us Korean Air or Asiana flights which are really expensive. If we book through Interpark, we can buy tickets for Jeju Air, T'way, or Eastar, which don't show up at all on non-Korean sites and are cheaper, regional carriers.

I'm not sure how it works, but does the Korean government give you an ID card for your time here? If not, no big deal, you'd just have to pay me or Mike, whoever does all the booking, and give us your passport number so we could book you, Interpark requires a Korean resident or citizen ID card to register, but registered users can book for people that don't have Korean IDs.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Nah I have a passport though so I should be good. How soon are yall buying tickets? I definitely am going

Send a PM to their twitch channel to register for the tournament.

$100 venue fee + $20 game entry. Kinda pricey when literally everyone's going to need to buy airfare on top of that, but no other way around it. Guessing the Hyatt doesn't like to haggle :lol:

128 player cap for each tournament.
    Already registered now the practice begins
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    happy new year guys. if you guys ever make any 이태원 or 해방천 and want to get some drinks, holla at your boy!
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • thecalamitouskidthecalamitouskid works for quarters Joined: Posts: 25
    Was looking to play some Marvel this weekend. I usually go to CafeID when I'm in Korea, but I saw a lot of people posting about this CONG place for Marvel. But I can't seem to pull up any info on the place! Anyone know if it's still around?
  • EraldoCoilEraldoCoil Hates Mexican food, is Mexican. Joined: Posts: 430
    CONG is open everyday, located at Nambu Bus Terminal station......

check OP for vid.
    (El Rado) I'm Mike G.
    Fresno's best 3S player
    Yeah, OP has all you need to get to any of the gaming establishments worth looking into in Seoul.
    Someone say Marvel?
    edited January 2014
    Yo if anyone is playing Marvel this weekend let me know so I can head up. I need that practice for FR and CafeID

And by let me know I mean hit me up on Skype
    Wow just saw how I edited that last post. I meant kakao
  • YurimaruYurimaru Joined: Posts: 10
    I'm new in Korea, only been here for less than a week. I'm going to Seoul tomorrow and most likely directly to Cong Tuh from the terminal. What time does Cong Tuh open on Sundays? Also is there a way I can buy controllers and PS converters for 360 there?
    They'll be open by the time you get there. What games do you play?
    I'm leaving from Seosan at like 6 or 6:30, so maybe I'll get into Seoul around 8:30 am. They'll be open then? I basically just play AE. I suck on stick but I'm better on pad. Well actually I just suck in general. I'm a Dudley player btw.
  • jamesepoopjamesepoop making this look easy Joined: Posts: 1,324
    HaruhiFTW wrote: »
    I know KB bank will give you a credit card (visa) but they just won't give you a Visa Debit card....

I will just have to have my bank back home re-issue the card and have it sent here so I can transfer money.

EDIT: This also might be some good information to add to the FAQ once we figure it out, or if someone knows.

If you contact laugh/etokki directly, you can just do an account transfer directly to him I'm sure. Hit him up for those gaming parts!
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's blog for review of new arcade parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    edited January 2014
    Laugh has a KakaoTalk account, I'm not sure if he wants it spread on here, but if I'll ask, and if he's ok with it, I'll hand it out.

@jamesepoop, dude, are you ever coming back to the RoK?
    @jamesepoop, dude, are you ever coming back to the RoK?

@Missing Person, I'm finally coming to visit in spring time, probably in April. Are you back in RoK or traveling between there and Guangzhou?
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's blog for review of new arcade parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Planning on being back in February. I've gotta go back to Qingdao for a week or two at the end of Feb, but planning on having permanence in Seoul after that.
  • heiligekuhheiligekuh Joined: Posts: 31
    Thanks for this thread. I'm considering a move to RoK next fall, and it's reassuring to see that the half dozen of you are more active in the SRK thread than the 100 people in DC/MD/VA.

Can someone give me a sense of scale for what traveling around Seoul and outlying districts feels like? Is there a meaningful comparison in US city terms for travel between Incheon and Seoul proper? Is that like taking riding into Manhattan from Long Island? Into SF from the end points of BART? Baltimore to DC? No matter how many times I stare at street view, I can't get a sense of how the population density and distance combine into a coherent picture.

Special thanks for the walk-to-arcade videos in the OP.

The worst you're probably going to get in Seoul is an hour commute on the train. If you're around Gangnam or Dongdaemun, you're probably looking at 30 minutes at the worst.

If you go out to like Gyeonggi or Gangwon, you're looking at 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours. Incheon can be about an hour and a half to 2 hours if you take line 1. If you're near the Airport railroad, it can be about an hour to Seoul Station, but it costs more than your standard subway fare.
    Yup. I forget what line, I think it's line 9 that goes express from Gangnam to Incheon. I lived right by it and was a breeze to get back and forth in 30-40 minutes.
    Planning on being back in February. I've gotta go back to Qingdao for a week or two at the end of Feb, but planning on having permanence in Seoul after that.

That's good news. For some reason I thought you were in Guangzhou, but it was Qingdao. I might spend more time out in Seoul if things go well during this trip. By the way, it's sad to hear Isu and Fun arcade went south. Hopefully I can meet up with you guys this spring and catch some games.
    Cheonho's still in business though. But I think most people are hitting up Cong now just because it's more centrally located and more cost-effective to play all day.

I'd be willing to take a trip out to Cheonho just for old time's sake though. That day was GDLK.
    If marvel wasn't my main focus right now I'd probably travel to more arcades. Though I am thinking of SFxT as a side game
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    heiligekuh wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. I'm considering a move to RoK next fall, and it's reassuring to see that the half dozen of you are more active in the SRK thread than the 100 people in DC/MD/VA.

Can someone give me a sense of scale for what traveling around Seoul and outlying districts feels like? Is there a meaningful comparison in US city terms for travel between Incheon and Seoul proper? Is that like taking riding into Manhattan from Long Island? Into SF from the end points of BART? Baltimore to DC? No matter how many times I stare at street view, I can't get a sense of how the population density and distance combine into a coherent picture.

Special thanks for the walk-to-arcade videos in the OP.

travel time from incheon to seoul is like going from JFK to manhattan on a bus or a little longer than newark airport to manhattan on a train. the train ride is about 50 mins, but most of that you'll be looking at farmland and suburbs, once you're into the city you'll be underground.

korean rural areas aren't really comparable to anything in the US, just a bunch of farmland and then one big apartment complex where eveybody in the town lives.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    There's a few nice rural areas, but you usually won't be going there unless you rent a pension or something with a group of friends or something.
  • D.FoxD.Fox Salt King Joined: Posts: 586
    Just checked this thread, thanks for shoutout. RIP ISU arcade :C
    Ö£d Σçhòò£ Å┼ Ñööñ
    TITANS Competitive Gaming
    Team Hate
    XBL- seedogpoo
  • WaterlemonWaterlemon Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi all. Just got to Kunsan around October. I've always been more of a Arc System Works FG player, but games like BB and GG seem dead here. So I'm willing to give AE, and whatever else a try. Will post my account info as soon as I get my PS3 setup.
    Arc works games are not necessarily dead. If you go to Cong Tuh in Seoul you can probably find people willing to play you. I've only been twice but I did see them play the new BB when I went. I don't really play any of those games, I basically just play AE and 3S (even though I'm ass). But at the same time you can't really say that Korea has a booming AE scene either. You just really have to know where to look :P.
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 387
    Anybody play fighting games on a PC?

I'm thinking of purchasing a PC, and just wondering if there's many people online...
  • WaterlemonWaterlemon Joined: Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    Hey thanks for the insight Yurimaru. I'll definitely have to check out Cong when I get the chance.

@ Angry Abel - I got Skullgirls on PC.
    Yeah, there is BlazBlue at Cong, there was one guy there playing online raging. :lol:
  • Kane BlueriverKane Blueriver l33t Black Mage Joined: Posts: 1,429
    I'm arriving tonight at Seoul, will be staying at Cafeid for about 3 weeks.
    UMVC3:/Haggar a/Hulk a/Sentinel y - SSF4AE: Balrog (U1) - CvS2: K-Boxer/Raiden/Geese(R2) - SF3S: Hugo (SA I) - GGXXAC: Ky - Tekken 6 BR: King - ST/HDR: Boxer/Claw - SFA2: Charlie - BBCS2: Jin - SFA3: V-R.Mika, X-Charlie - Garou: Tizoc - KOF98UM: Vice/Takuma/EX Geese - KOF02UM: Vice/EX Takuma/Geese - MK9: Scorpion - KOFXIII: Raiden/Takuma/Vice - AH3: Kira/Ohtsuchi - LB2: Washizuka (Power) - SSIV: Charlotte (Bust) - Vampire Savior: Bulleta
    Oooo I would love to play you but I'm stateside for FR
  • mxbrugalzmxbrugalz Joined: Posts: 32
    SRK Tag:MXBrugalz
    Games Played: SSF4, SFXT
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Mx Brugalz
  • Philly-onePhilly-one drakefang Joined: Posts: 1,025
    SRK Tag:Philly-one
    Games Played: SSF4
    Xbox Live Gamertag: ArcadeStream
    Drat, Kane, if I'd have known, I could've swapped AE tips for your Marvel tips.