Guile thread

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Who was using T.Hawk? Someone at TGA? I can't find the results for that event...

w2z on Friday! (if that doesn't go down I'm going to ctf) The Dhalsim fight (and O.Sagat) is really awful but Guile's other tough match-ups like Vega and Blanka are very do-able. If Deathscythe makes it we'll use his Vega as a guinea pig!
    There's a Kurahashi Guile vs. Vega match . T.Akiba knows what's up.

A bunch more X-Mania 1 guile movies in that same account.
    Triple post, motherfuckers!

Muteki Guile recently took on the Master Chibi special: Tokido Claw and Gian Dhalsim. Link to video on ze blog.
    note:
    a) CE Guile, not ST
    b) that dude has crossed the line into some other universe of badassness.
  • King Of BumsKing Of Bums U like that? Joined: Posts: 157
    Question, how do you do a pure cancel to guiles super. I have the x2 cr. jab to kara super, but i can't do something like cr. mp xx super. Any advice will help.
    Will RTSD no matter the game, and to hell with the consequences!!!
    Kof13: Kyo/Hwa/Kim Ultimate Mahvel 3: Spider-Man b/Spencer b/Doctor Doom b
    SCV: Asteroth
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    CHRIST why is playin this character so frustrating?

So far I've lost to:

Dhalisms / Vega / T. Hawk.

God damn it.

nohoho, we gots to talk.

Huh? How. You got jumping JABBED to death?
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • incognegroincognegro Joined: Posts: 180
    hey I know that there is kara-canceling in this game which I can't seem to get I have read the forums and seen where someone mentioned it just button canceling or something like that. Can someone explain it in a little better detail and tell me if you can kara-cancel throws with guile like you can in 3rd strike.
    Dem bounce combos. Xiaoyu is like a gaping cavern of execution with a wooden post out front that says "abandon all hope ye who enter here."-soulsynapse
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    You can't Kara-Throw in this game because Throws aren't a special command. They are just one button, so Capcom gave no kara ability to Throws.

Kara Cancels are Capcom's way for easing up on special move input. So if you try to do a Fireball motion and hit Fierce ever too slightly early (right before reaching Towards on the controller), you'll end up doing a Stand Fierce or a Crouch Fierce. Without Kara Canceling, that's all you'd get: the Normal Move Fierce. With Kara Canceling in place, ALL Normal Moves can be canceled into a Special Move in their first few frames. That way, even though you hit Fierce ever so slightly early, you'll finish the Fireball motion, the game will recognize you TRIED to do a Fireball, and (thanks partially to Negative Edge as well) the Normal Move Fierce will be canceled into a Fireball instead. It can happen so fast that the Normal Move Fierce isn't even viewable ever. But it's that little leeway they put in that makes doing Special Moves a whole lot easier (and accidentally gave birth to the Buffer Combos way back in WW SFII).

Knowing that has allowed for people to "cheat" the systems in ways and do combos that aren't supposed to be allowable, particularly off of Rapid Fire Weak Attacks.

- James
    http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
    Practical combos

These the the only combos you should be trying to do.

- j.HP/HK, HP/c.Mp xx Flash Kick
    - j.HP/HK, HP xx Sonic Boom, Backfist
    - X-up LK, c.MP xx Flash Kick (for O.Guile you can swap the X-up LK to X-up MK but i think that only works on crouching opponents).

Best way to land the super is on a crossup LK

- X-up LK, c.LP/c.LK x2 xx Super

j.fierce/roundhouse, c.fierce xx super
    You gotta be a superman to land this one. Dump the jumping attack and do the C.fierece cancelled into super as a meaty
    If you really want to do the super off a forward jumping attack do it like this
    - j.HP/HK, c.MP xx Super
    I am currently trying to get the timing right on doing the j. fierce -> cr. strong xx super. I keep getting a flash kick instead of the super. Btw, im using the charge b/d, f/d, u/b method of the super (i can do this consistandly (99/100 i will get it right) and i can kara it from the cr. jab x2).

This would be optimal for a corrnerd opponet if he got dizzied. I hope to be hearing from one of you soon.
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    Btw, im using the charge b/d, f/d, u/b method of the super (i can do this consistandly (99/100 i will get it right) and i can kara it from the cr. jab x2).

Nice... I'll have to try that with the b/d, f/d, u/b method...
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • kev_the_bevkev_the_bev triumph. Joined: Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    what does O. Guile have over ST Guile?
    Seriously, any help on doing the strait up cancel of guiles super? If the oppenet is in a corner, i can't do a jump-in to 2xjab xx super to hit him, so i really need to know this move.
    Btw, i think o. guile has a bit better normals, chains a bit better, and recovers from sonic booms faster, but i dont play with o. guile.
    :db:
    I still have a bitch of a time pulling his super off. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can only do it 25% of the time. Ugh.

me too~ so how is his super done??

i do it like this on 1P side

:db: :df::db::uf: it works like 50% of the time....

so is there a better method to use his super??

i wish i could so it 90% of the time~

by the way what guile colors do you guys use the most?!
    :db:

me too~ so how is his super done??

i do it like this on 1P side

:db: :df::db::uf: it works like 50% of the time....

so is there a better method to use his super??

i wish i could so it 90% of the time~

by the way what guile colors do you guys use the most?!

Charge :db: :df: :ub: :k: works like a charm (the one i use most often). But Charge :db: :hcb: :ub: :k: works too.
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    Question, how do you do a pure cancel to guiles super. I have the x2 cr. jab to kara super, but i can't do something like cr. mp xx super. Any advice will help.
    charge D/B, D/F, D, D/B+Strong, B, U/B+kick (all in one smooth motion)

I think you can also link his super after cr.Strong, but I'd have to double check that.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 4,524

Better standing roundhouse as an anti air and less directional dependent moves. Not really an advantage per se but less thinking about joystick position when needing to react to stuff is a plus for me.

Plus I can't do his super to save my life.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    NKI's way of doing the Super cancel is the best way to do a true cancel. There is also the Kara Cancel method, which let's you cancel from two low Shorts or two low Jabs into the Super.

So for example, with Crouch Short:

Hold Down/Back and hit Short, Chain into another Crouch Short, and then, with the same timing you did between the first two Crouch Shorts, hit Short again. But this time, do the entire Super Motion (Down-Forward, Down-Back, Up-Back) in between the 2nd and 3rd time you hit Short so that you hit Short right when you reach Up-back. And once you hit Short there, tap Forward or Roundhouse in a split second after hitting Short. So you're almost hitting Short + Roundhouse at the same time, just ever so slightly separately. That'll Kara-cancel the last Short into a Super and, if you did it fast enough, it'll combo.

But to be honest, most people won't ever need to cancel into the super. It's not an actualy and practical technique for Guile, so I honetly wouldn't worry about it all that much. Even if you learned it to the point where you could do it 90% of the time, you'll probably very rarely land it in actual battle.

- James

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
    with x2 :lp: its a bit easier (but less damaging) because you dont have to worry about doing a knee bazooka (:r: or :l: + :k:). But the most usefull way to get this off is by doing his short cross up, x2 :lp: :db: :df: :lp:~:ub: + :k:.time it so your standing when you :lp:, or else it will just do another punch instead of the super.

And thanks NKI! Once I get off of work im going to try that out. I'll be ready for you next evo north (Instead of failing terribly trying to figure out how a stick works :rofl:).
  • kev_the_bevkev_the_bev triumph. Joined: Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    what's the pros and cons of each version of Guile in hyper street fighter 2?
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200

O.Guile has standing shorts while holding charge, backfist while holding a charge, standing RH AA. He doesn't lose much for the super because Guile's super sucks anyways. He has a better chance of dealing more damage. He has an easier time dealing with Sagat imo, and his matchup vs Claw is a little less ugly. Also dealing with Guile mirrors is a little less stupid for O.Guile.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    O.guile does lose the great cross-up game... That has to count for something? Thoughts??
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    It's definitely debatable, but I gotta give it to n guile. I do wish he had the standing shorts, I'll give o that. But the sobats and step-forward rh (for lack of a better name) are just really good for mobility. Plus of course the crossup can be a round winner if you can space/time it right. O Guile is just much more of a turtle, so it comes down to preference. Until O Guile has a crossup and a sobat, make mine New. (sorry for anyone who doesnt get that reference lol)
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
    Charge :db: :df: :ub: :k: works like a charm (the one i use most often). But Charge :db: :hcb: :ub: :k: works too.

Thanx for the tip

I would like to ask how should I play against Chun??
    my bro is a chun player and he likes to MP poke all the time
    and in the corner most of the time the MP beats my Flash Kick
    but if I wait too long he will throw me and usually this kills me in like 10 seconds...
  • technique121technique121 Joined: Posts: 218
    Guile air throws

in what situation or charicters would guile's air throw come in handy usually i guile air throws come unexpectly with me
    in what situation or charicters would guile's air throw come in handy usually i guile air throws come unexpectly with me

I don't think of air throws that highly due to their limited use as you need both players to be in mid-air, but they've got their uses:

For example, you can punish a whiffed Dragon Punch with an air throw as shown in the video I've posted below. Take a close look at 3:58 where Kurahashi does 2 air throws on Watson.
    Air throws do have their uses but they come in "real" handy only rarely... Kurahashi could have done more damage if he had done a Flash Kick combo during Watson's landing... It's just a stylish-looking mix-up tool, there's nothing really strategically important to it in my opinion.

I've successfully stuffed a Ken's flaming (Fierce) Dragon Punch with Guile's air throw twice-I've done the throw while he was STILL in the animation frames of the Dragon Punch unlike Watson's Ryu who had been air thrown by Kurahashi during his DOWNFALL-I did it while the Ken was RISING.
    I did both of the throws with Guile's Roundhouse Kick, Kurahashi used the same throw, too, maybe Guile's jumping Roundhouse throw has got some "Only-Guile" special priority... There has to be done more research on this...

I think it's due to the extra frames Ken gets when doing a flaming Dragon Punch, that might have made him "vulnerable", as both times the player did a Fierce/flaming Dragon Punch.
  • kid_krushkid_krush 黒人の名前はOMGsupafly!! Joined: Posts: 88
    does guile have a bnb
    Guess no matter how hard we try.. Fate's gonna keep throwing us back together!
    cause I'm just watching a bad dream that I can't wake up from.
    jump fierce, crouching strong, flash kick
    Blocking Chun Li's df+RH

In the Chun Li Wiki (under Advanced Strategy --> Neckbreaker Shenanigans), it says that Chun Li can cross Guile up with her neckbreaker (downforward + RH). However, I don't know of any situations in which Guile can't block it normally with a crouching block.

When exactly will Chun's neckbreaker hit as a crossup, and how exactly would you block it in such a case (opposite-side crouching or opposite-side standing)?
    can guile link c.lp-c.mp,flach kick
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    In the Chun Li Wiki (under Advanced Strategy --> Neckbreaker Shenanigans), it says that Chun Li can cross Guile up with her neckbreaker (downforward + RH).
    Sorry, that was a mistake. It has been corrected.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • FreshOJFreshOJ It's the God in me.. Joined: Posts: 1,485

While it's for SSF2, my Link FAQ answers your question with a "yes, but only if you're close". Read it for a comprehensive list of links that can help you in Super Turbo.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583630/881

Also, check out David Wright's TZW Combo FAQ for more insane combos.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583630/852

I live for this. :)
    Onaje Everett
    Still in S.D., representing the Almighty.
    READ MY FAQ!!! (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/939066/56195)
    Guile can also link a c.Strong into a close-up s.Fierce. However, it's pretty difficult to do because you have to be very, very close. But I think it's possible after a cross-up.
  • COUMCOUM COUM Joined: Posts: 442

Don't look at ST in terms of BnBs and combos....it's not gonna help much
  • KuprinKuprin MOOGLE RUSH!!! Joined: Posts: 322
    Don't look at ST in terms of BnBs and combos....it's not gonna help much

I disagree, combos are quite important in ST; knowing the best combos off of your normals lets you really increase your overall damage. It isn't the most important thing to this game (part of why I love it), and BnBs really only matter when you've got somebody stunned, but there's always a use for good combos. :)
    Suicidal for life.
    ST: Blanka/Claw; Alpha2/3: Rolento/Gief; 3s: Chun/Dudley; SF4: Gief
    Brawl/+: Wolf
    I don't know of any situations in which Guile can't block [Chun's df + RH] normally with a crouching block... When exactly will Chun's neckbreaker hit as a crossup?
    Uh, I feel kinda bad posting this now, especially since I've already put someone through some trouble only to answer my own post a few days later, but... I think there's a way. I don't think it should ever happen unless you screw up pretty badly, but it is possible.

If Guile gets knocked down in such a way that his prone body is not sliding away from her like usual but towards her, he ends up just a few pixels closer than he otherwise would when the neckbreaker (df+RH) is landing. If she times it correctly, she can then hit him on the opposite side.

NeckbreakercrossupvsGuile.png

Here's a scenario. Chun Li did a neckbreaker over a Sonic Boom, and Guile stupidly tried to anti-air trip her (which I have a terrible habit of doing), resulting in her smashing down on his foot. Then the neckbreaker knockdown makes him fall towards her, because his body was so far away at the time if the hit. If Chun times another neckbreaker correctly, it can hit as a crossup. Although he's trying to do a same side-side crouching block, he's actually getting his crouching "switch sides" frames, because she's too far over his head.

Guile could've blocked correctly by holding down-back the opposite way. And, of course, you would have to mess up to get into this type of situation to begin with.
    O.Guile can do more damage?!

Recently I found out something weird about O.Guile... Some of his moves do more damage. :confused:

It was surprising, because I'd grown so used to hearing rumors about old character advantages that aren't really true. But no, I'm convinced that this is real, and I'll give you a few examples you can use to prove it to yourself. Set up a scenario where he's fighting Chun Li and do damage tests in the first round only. (I have a strong suspicion that the round situation can skew the additional amount of random damage that gets added to most moves. It's similar to how your throws will do more damage in the 2nd round if you lost the 1st.)

Crouching fierce: Old Guile's is just a bit stronger, maybe 3-5%. Smack her 7 times with Old Guile and she typically has 0-1 pixel of vitality left. Repeat 7 crouching fierces with New Guile and you'll see her usually ending up with 2-4 pixels of vitality. Additionally, sometimes Old Guile will knock her out completely, but I've never seen N.Guile KO her with 7 crouching fierces. I'm not saying it's impossible if you get lucky with a ton of additional random damage, but it would be extremely rare.

Crouching forward: Old Guile's is significantly stronger, probably 10% or so. If Old Guile does 7 crouching forwards, Chun typically has 2-4 pixels remaining and an 8th will KO her. N.Guile can do do 8 c.forwards and Chun will still have 1-3 pixels left.

Not all of Old Guile's moves are stronger. For example, his ground throws and his short Flash Kick (or at least its first hitting frame) are the same as New Guile.

Is this new information? If nobody else has already documented this type of thing, I'm probably going to do a full-scale investigation to find out the complete data of which moves do more damage and exactly by how much. It also begs the question of whether other old characters have different damage figures for the same moves, but right now I already have more than enough on my plate.
    i found that that c.mpx2-flash kick works as a bnb wont get many chances to do maybe when opp is dizzy. but its an easy link. i find o.guile not as good n.guile can space out better and he has super he doesnt really need but u never know. o.guile does have hk as an anti-air. is it true that blanka has an advantage over guile and how so
    i found that that c.mpx2-flash kick works works as a bnb wont get many chances to do maybe when opp is dizzy.
    1.) Does that only work on certain, wide opponents or something? While I can do that on Sagat, I can't link the c.strongs against Ryu or DeeJay for the life of me.

2.) If they're dizzy, what's the advantage of doing two c.strongs instead of just a jumping attack into a c.strong? 'Cause the latter does more damage and feels easier to me.
    is it true that blanka has an advantage over guile and how so
    A lot of people think that, but I personally don't see it. You can read nohoho's Guile vs. Blanka strategy for excellent advice back on the 2nd page of this thread.
  • Axel KellyAxel Kelly Joined: Posts: 1,481
    Blanka's slide under SBs, and vertical ball to stop crossup attempts are what really shit all over Guile's game in that match

It's not as bad as people make it out to be though
    2.) If they're dizzy, what's the advantage of doing two c.strongs instead of just a jumping attack into a c.strong? 'Cause the latter does more damage and feels easier to me.

then just do j.hp -hp-sonic boom-f+hp

ps:umbrellastyle thnx for the info
  • SmoothCatSmoothCat ダウンに戻る神 Joined: Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I am having a hell of a time vs good sim players. The proplem is once I get in the coner I pretty much lose the fight. Does anyone no how this fight works??
    I see a lot of vids but the guile player always lose...
    Team Hate
    No Wilson! Don't do it!

Xbl: Bossu Smooth.