Women(read: Feminists) battle hate in the Manosphere, lol.

BEWDBEWD 鬼の顔Joined: Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Deep in the underbelly of the Internet is a hidden corner known as the "Manosphere"— a collection of websites, Facebook pages and chat rooms where men vent their rage and spew anti-women rhetoric.

Protected by the anonymity of the Internet, men feel free to post hateful and violent comments. Posts such as "I really wouldn't mind shooting a [expletive] dead in the face, they are evil, all of them," and "Women are the natural enemies of men" are commonplace on sites like "A Voice for Men," a Manosphere blog run by Paul Elam.

Elam told ABC News' "20/20" that while he may not agree with some of the comments that are made on his site, he believes men are society's victims and need a forum to vent.

"There has been a change in the world, especially in the last 50 years. Women's roles have changed drastically," he told "20/20." "What a lot of us in this area find is that men's roles have not changed very much. Many find now that they have to react."

Elam explained that men leave these comments in the Manosphere to get people to listen.

"It's ... very much designed to get someone like you to sit down and ask me questions," he told 20/20's Elizabeth Vargas. "We are addressing a group of problems that this society ignores."

Elam said institutions like marriage and corrupt family courts have become dangerous for men.

"Marriage has become unsafe ground for men, because we have corrupt family courts that practice bias against men and fathers routinely," he told 20/20. "And men are waking up to this, that they don't get a fair deal."

While Elam told "20/20" that his site does not promote violence or hate toward women, some of his writing appears otherwise. In a post on his website, Elam wrote that women on welfare are "little more than thinly disguised layabouts."

Elam claimed it's not anger but satire and social commentary. "What I do is reflect and study what the attitude is in the culture," he told "20/20." "I am not creating the problem, I am documenting some of it."

But experts like Mark Potok, from the Southern Poverty Law Center, believe this rhetoric is problematic. "The Manosphere is an underworld of so-called men's rights groups and individuals on the Internet, which is just fraught with really hard-line anti-woman misogyny," Potok told "20/20."

And when a woman is on the receiving end of this misogyny, the Manosphere is unflinching in its attacks.

"Women who are targeted by these sites get a tidal wave of hate mail with rape threats and death threats," Jaclyn Friedman, founder of Women, Action & the Media, told "20/20."

Anita Sarkeesian, a media critic and blogger, learned this the hard way after campaigning on Kickstarter to raise funds for a web series on the roles of women in video games. The attacks from the Manosphere were swift.

"It was ... thousands of people coming after me," Sarkeesian told "20/20." "Threats of rape, threats of death, threats of violence," she said.

"They would Photoshop and manipulate pornographic images and put my face on them," Sarkeesian said. Her fellow gamers even designed a special video game about her named "Beat the [expletive] Up."

"Players were invited to click on the screen, and an image of me would become increasingly battered and bruised," Sarkeesian said.

Friedman was also the subject of a cyber attack after campaigning on Facebook to remove photos and groups that promoted hate speech toward women.

"I got emails and tweets and posts on Facebook that say, 'You are disgusting. You are fat. No one would ever want you. You should be raped," Friedman said.

Friedman said the Manosphere is not satire as Elam claimed, but a space for people to cause damage to women.

"If you look at what they actually do, it's all hateful rhetoric," she told "20/20."

"And it has real impact in the real world."

source: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/women-battle-online-anti-women-hate-manosphere/story?id=20579038

ABC recently did this hit piece(pretty much blatant yellow journalism) on the manosphere a few days ago. It was actually meant to be a full 20/20 segment, yet ABC has declined to air the segment for the time being.
Post edited by BEWD on
世界最強の生物
«1

Comments

  • DavidstarDavidstar Joined: Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElderGOD wrote: »
    Not only that but they're the same idiots who harassed that fat kid that defended himself against a bully. That fat kid was a hero but ABC made the bully look like a victim.
    The Zangief kid? Isn't he a national hero?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • MancubMancub Joined: Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭
    tataki wrote: »
    ElderGOD wrote: »
    Not only that but they're the same idiots who harassed that fat kid that defended himself against a bully. That fat kid was a hero but ABC made the bully look like a victim.
    The Zangief kid? Isn't he a national hero?

    He was Australian and yes, he was a national hero for a small time.
  • AkyneAkyne Phoning for help Joined: Posts: 104
    I'm all for unbiased divorce laws, that's like a 8-2 match-up. But if I have to burn my bra to get a balance patch, who will support my moobs?
  • MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Men aren't allowed to be upset over alimony and divorce law until they solve all the more severe injustices in this world directed at men.
  • Raz0rRaz0r I disapprove Joined: Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always love coming to SRK and seeing that it still collectively hates women because vast majority of posters got turned down by girls in high school and they never learned to let it go.
    This is offensive.
  • AkyneAkyne Phoning for help Joined: Posts: 104
    Matriarch wrote: »
    Men aren't allowed to be upset over alimony and divorce law until they solve all the more severe injustices in this world directed at men.

    Hah, I see. Your trip to India went well I take it? These western squabbles must pale in comparison.

  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I always love coming to SRK and seeing that it still collectively hates women because vast majority of posters got turned down by girls in high school and they never learned to let it go.

    lol I just think SRK doesn't like when feminist attack everything like this manosphere. 'Men can't get talk about things they dislike about women. Women can discuss what they dislike about men because men all wrong" seems to be the general message. lol but any socially oppressed group is always gonna strike out full force

  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two manospheres. Get it? Get it?
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

    The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Raz0rRaz0r I disapprove Joined: Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bious wrote: »
    So what other games does the Manosphere have?

    Docking.
    This is offensive.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Raz0r wrote: »
    Bious wrote: »
    So what other games does the Manosphere have?

    Docking.

    Is that DLC for Sword Fighting?
    Post edited by Spirit Juice on
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1693-1138-7964. Trainer name: Rylai
  • KORYNTHYANKORYNTHYAN BattleField Maestro Joined: Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Ah geez. Anita came up again? I'm out. Go fuck yourself kindly.

    The exact thought that blasted through my mind whilst reading the OP. That bitch deserves every ounce
    of hate. Actually the whole idea of feminism gets me heated---it's bigotry at it's core and that shit will
    make me explode no matter where I find it.

    ~K.

    _____________________________________________________________________________
    LESTWINS
  • SerpentSerpent Holy Phoenix Joined: Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I always love coming to SRK and seeing that it still collectively hates women because vast majority of posters got turned down by girls in high school and they never learned to let it go.

    Yeah I think so. Or they're just really dumb. The feminist drivel is stupid but it's not going to stop and it's not worth discussing anywhere. The men that are feminist are even worse, I know they aren't getting any. The good thing about feminism for men is that before feminism came along you had to get married to have sex. Now that's not true, and it really opens a man's options up. I'm on record stating feminism has done a lot more for men than it has for women.
  • sarif2soonsarif2soon Joined: Posts: 349 ✭✭
    Mancub wrote: »
    tataki wrote: »
    ElderGOD wrote: »
    Not only that but they're the same idiots who harassed that fat kid that defended himself against a bully. That fat kid was a hero but ABC made the bully look like a victim.
    The Zangief kid? Isn't he a national hero?

    He was Australian and yes, he was a national hero for a small time.

    Still a hero to me. Good thing I don't have ABC here.
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭✭
    Anita has already been proven by several different men and women to be a complete idiot and attention whore, not sure why the press is in love with her.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha I lost a bet Joined: Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Anita has already been proven by several different men and women to be a complete idiot and attention whore, not sure why the press is in love with her.
    because they can easily drum up drama around her.

    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why make another feminism thread?

    Because SRK secretly has a fetish for goodmorning, specs, and my arguing.
  • BTierBisonBTierBison I am Lord Shiva. Joined: Posts: 918
    Manosphere?! LOL. That sounds so gay! :D
    My PSN is VictorX1. https://www.facebook.com/Trimurti66X1 My theme song: https://youtube.com/watch?v=qFPVWv7X0c4 "To be a good fighter, you must be dangerous, fearless, deadly, unrelenting, threatening, and unpredictable. In essence, be like water, my friend" Bruce Lee. The 4 Cardinal Virtues: Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=755532914476914&set=vb.100000606370404&type=2&theater
  • BTierBisonBTierBison I am Lord Shiva. Joined: Posts: 918
    What do you want to talk about?
    My PSN is VictorX1. https://www.facebook.com/Trimurti66X1 My theme song: https://youtube.com/watch?v=qFPVWv7X0c4 "To be a good fighter, you must be dangerous, fearless, deadly, unrelenting, threatening, and unpredictable. In essence, be like water, my friend" Bruce Lee. The 4 Cardinal Virtues: Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=755532914476914&set=vb.100000606370404&type=2&theater
  • YusukeUrameshiYusukeUrameshi With my back pressed against the weight of the world.... Joined: Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheese tiers.

    It would be more intellectually stimulating than this again.

    Here is how this thread will go. The topic of what crazy feminists and dumbass MRAs are doing will get discussed for two pages or so before we start repeating the same shit we said in the last feminism thread.
  • sarif2soonsarif2soon Joined: Posts: 349 ✭✭
    Uncreative. Cheese again? Let's try something new: Which FG has the best SFX for hits?

    The beats overshadow them *runs*
  • WolfkillerWolfkiller Vampire Heartless Joined: Posts: 883 ✭✭✭
    Cheese tiers.

    Gouda > everything.
    Shin-Mech-Brian: As I walk through, I look up and see Chun-Li holding my son and she says, "arrest him!" Ronald McDonald pulls up from behind me and put me in handcuffs. I ask why I'm being arrested and he says, "I'm under arrest for killing Santa Clause."
    Use me for 20% off! http://www.karmaloop.com/index.asp?rcode=WOLFKILLER
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    In my experience, guys that hate women enough to join a forum to bitch about said women, are generally scrubs who date women they know deep down are shitty, and get screwed over by them. You don't want to get screwed over, stop dating shitty women, or man up and put her in her place when she needs to be put there rather than letting all that bad behavior slide.

    You act like a bitch in a relationship, she's gonna treat you like one and then you can go online and complain about it. Work on yourself and she'll respect you and won't be looking for excuses to fuck you over. You and you alone dictate how you're willing to be treated and what the outcome of that treatment is.

    tl;dr Don't be a bitch and you'll never have to join a forum to bitch about your twatty ex girlfriend/wife that you let get away with murder.
    Post edited by DoctaMario on
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭
    pherai wrote: »
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    In my experience, guys that hate women enough to join a forum to bitch about said women, are generally scrubs who date women they know deep down are shitty, and get screwed over by them. You don't want to get screwed over, stop dating shitty women, or man up and put her in her place when she needs to be put there rather than letting all that bad behavior slide.

    why do they even have to be shitty women? 99.999% of relationships don't work out in the end, and that doesn't always have to be because one person was overwhelmingly shitty to the other, but people gotta create some insane narrative in their head to cope with failure. people in relationships fight and often break up, and thats not because they are shitty people.

    Some people are just shitty people. They're not the majority, but they exist. People who, no matter what you do, will generally do something shitty if given the chance. And it's easy to tell if someone's shitty or not. Granted you may end up dating them for a few weeks, but they'll drop hints. All you have to do is watch for them.

    Course there's also the part where the guy does a bunch of assholish stuff to drive the woman to want to do shitty things she probably wouldn't want to do in another relationship with a more normal and reasonable guy (and this goes both ways gender-wise)

    People break up, but when the relationship ends with cops being called, lawyers being involved, and lots of fighting it's because there's a shitty person involved, either someone being shitty because they've been driven to be, or because that's just how they are at their core.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • angelpalmangelpalm Joined: Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, shitty people ARE the majority, and the minority, and everything else in between.
    For all that they claim to be women’s natural allies, these schmucks don’t have the first clue about female psychology, or they wouldn’t need to turn to feminism as a sort of invisible date-rape drug. To these self-centered bitter little men bouncing around in their baby bubbles, it’s not really about empathizing with women at all, because they obviously don’t understand how women operate; it’s about scoring with women. It is in this sense that male feminists are more misogynistic than, well, you know, the misogynists.
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    *yawns majestically*
    Post edited by EveryFlowerFlow on
    Nujabes に触発され: Listen to the debut album from Def Jam hip hop composer Prosodi J. On Spotify or at releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭
    Matriarch wrote: »
    why make another feminism thread?

    Because SRK secretly has a fetish for goodmorning, specs, and my arguing.
    Incorrect, it is an unconscious Dr. B fetish we are all collectively repressing.

    When Dr. B returns men and women will be united in harmony.
    flagged as spam
  • ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Anita has already been proven by several different men and women to be a complete idiot and attention whore, not sure why the press is in love with her.
    Because they're also complete idiots and attention whores?
  • DreizeDreize How quaint... Joined: Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.