Chun-Li Thread

Comments

• wakeupsweepwakeupsweep Joined: Posts: 124
    You could add that Chun's cr. roundhouse beats Guile's cr. forward clean, especially at max range.
  • DeezoDeezo psycho 78 Joined: Posts: 3,238
    Wow this thread is livestock. A lot of good information in here for a semi new ST player. Is jump straight up rh a good anti air versus wall jumping Vegas? I heard jumping short is money against that, but I was just curious. I've also gotten caught in gross situations where I was stuck in the corner versus repeated body splashing Zangief and repeated standing fierce, chicken kick thing Fei Long. I'm guessing there's not much I can do when I'm caught in that situation.
    In every contest, there comes a moment that separates winning from losing. The true warrior understands and seizes that moment. -Pat Riley
    Jump straight up roundhouse is good against wll dives, good damage and knock down, but it comes out somewhat slowly (not that slow, but slow compared to Vega's speed), on the other hand j. short (straight up or back), while dealing less damage and not knocking down, comes out instantly, stays out until you land, and I think has more priority but you need someone who owns a yoga book to confirm that, it does stuff more jump ins though (shotos' j. fierce comes to mind), of that I'm sure.
    As for splashes, close s.forward beats or trades with them, jump straight up short beats them clean. If you have meter, super out of the corner, you may not hit him and you have wasted a super, but beats dying to ticks.
    If you get caught in a chicken wing trap you're pretty much done for the round, try to look for some opening and jump out, throw, super or something, but if the Feilong player is competent it's really hard.
    Anyway, both Zangief and Feilong are at a disadvantage against Chun, so you should be able to avoid being cornered. There's more about fighting Gief on the wiki.
  • DeezoDeezo psycho 78 Joined: Posts: 3,238
    I see I see. Thanks for the informative post good sir. =]

I noticed Chun vs O.Sagat wasn't in the wiki, but I'm guessing the main gameplay against him is to ease your way next to him for standing strong/throw madness. Super of course as well.
    In every contest, there comes a moment that separates winning from losing. The true warrior understands and seizes that moment. -Pat Riley
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,292
    I see I see. Thanks for the informative post good sir. =]

I noticed Chun vs O.Sagat wasn't in the wiki, but I'm guessing the main gameplay against him is to ease your way next to him for standing strong/throw madness. Super of course as well.

Justin Wong (O. Sagat) vs. Chris Doyle (Chun)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_eHSu5SZ2Vc

This'll give you a pretty basic idea of what to do
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    df+RH crossup weirdness

I guess there's a way to do Chun's df+RH and have it hit as a crossup on characters that normally are able to block it the same way every time. The key is that they have to get knocked down in such a way that their prone body is sliding towards Chun Li as she's initiating her df+RH. This gives her just a few extra pixels of distance to land the move on the opposite side.

Neckbreakercrossupvsothers.png

The characters in the above examples were trying to do a crouching, same-side blocks. In Blanka's case, the timing of Chun's df+RH is so strict that I was unable to easily capture one of Blanka's crouching "switch sides" frames to "prove" that it's crossing him up. But it still works!

~~~~~~~~~~

Setup #1: Limb-smash. If you do a neckbreaker that lands on an opponent's extended limb, you can smash down on them and have their body fall towards you. If Chun times another neckbreaker correctly, it can hit as a crossup.

NeckbreakercrossupvsGuile.png

Otochun did this no fewer than two times in his 10-game match with Gian, so that suggests that it could be nasty even on expert players. See one example of the into crossup neckbreaker, 0:33-0:36.

~~~~~~~~~~

Setup #2: Neckbreaker, jump over. Say you you land a neckbreaker on their head for whatever reason -- they messed up trying a reversal, they didn't know how to block it in the first place, or for whatever reason they just goofed. What you get is them sliding away from you. But you actually have so much time that you can jump over to the opposite side right after you land, and now they're sliding towards you. A second neckbreaker now has crossup ability.

Neckbreakerjumpoverneckbreaker.png

Check a at 4:33. Otochun goes for a third one, but he didn't make his jump completely over, ended up holding downback instead of downforward, and got a c.RH instead! :rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~

Setup #3: Crazy, backwards upkicks. The gist of this one is that it's possible to land upkicks when the opponent is behind you, i.e. when the opponent is doing a wild crossup. They get knocked out of the air but actually fall towards your body, giving you crossup neckbreaker ability.

From the same match as before, check the at 4:31.

~~~~~~~~~~

Setup #4: Crossup jumpkick. Another way is just to do a crossup j.MK, so you land on the opposite side and their body is being pushed towards you. If you immediately do a neckbreaker afterwards, they'll still be sliding underneath you so that your neckbreaker can hit as a crossup. You have to be fast with this follow-up or they won't slide underneath you far enough.

This setup is not without risk, because your opponent has a fair amount of time before the neckbreaker lands. If they get wise to it or can react in time, they can do something like jump up and hit you out of the air.
  • GonzalesGonzales Half Crazy Joined: Posts: 465
    the machtup vs. claw is kinda irritating, once you fall to the ground once
    your fucked, any tips on how to rversal claw when your on the ground
    casue upkicks tends to miss a lot vs his wall dives
    ST-Guile
    TMNT Tournament Fighters- Armaggonz
    SF4-Dictator
    "You do not truly know someone until you fight them."
  • epsilon_epsilon_ helpful Joined: Posts: 3,582
    use LL to beat his ground normals. pressure with jab fireballs.

if he jumps, straight up j.rh

if he goes off the wall, jump back mk.

if you get a knockdown whore c.mk s.mp and tick throw, be aware of desperate flip kick attempts.
    i don't care what the critics say, violence is a beauuutiful thing!
    the machtup vs. claw is kinda irritating, once you fall to the ground once your fucked, any tips on how to rversal claw when your on the ground casue upkicks tends to miss a lot vs his wall dives
    (scrub advice, take it for what it's worth)

If the opponent is good at wall-diving as I'm standing up, I often just try to block. Between getting the timing right and the danger of getting crossed up, I have trouble making upkicks look worth the effort for me. If you're gonna go for it, you may as well piano or 1-button piano the input for all you're worth.

I don't bother much with the Bird Kick here. It can get you away, but that takes proper timing and you can lose your horizontal charge when he crosses you up, and then on top of all that he can try to stick you with cr.strong after he lands.
    use LL to beat his ground normals. pressure with jab fireballs.

if he goes off the wall, jump back mk.

if you get a knockdown whore c.mk s.mp and tick throw, be aware of desperate flip kick attempts.

thanks on the ground its not that bad i guess all i have to do is avoid getting knocked down
    (scrub advice, take it for what it's worth)

If the opponent is good at wall-diving as I'm standing up, I often just try to block. Between getting the timing right and the danger of getting crossed up, I have trouble making upkicks look worth the effort for me. If you're gonna go for it, you may as well piano or 1-button piano the input for all you're worth.

I don't bother much with the Bird Kick here. It can get you away, but that takes proper timing and you can lose your horizontal charge when he crosses you up, and then on top of all that he can try to stick you with cr.strong after he lands.

yeah upkicks is not that reliable againts wall dives so i tend to be patient
    i swear is it just me or is claw the easiest top tier to play?
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
  • MechanicaMechanica elias the flyest Joined: Posts: 6,252
    Wait so some characters can block her df+RH the same direction (almost) all the time? Can I get some names of such characters?
    KOForever WHY IS 14 SO UGLY whyyyy is alex's neutral stance so ugly
    ^ look in the wiki.

also vs vega, do use meaty flip kick.

straight up j.rh can catch him going off the wall for wall dives, jump forward lk, and reversal lk upkicks IF he crosses you up and is clearly on one side.

yes walldives are good against chun li, the best counter is not to let him knock you down, and stop every desperate attempt he goes for if you're standing.
    That's good yeah, but you have no time for that if he jumps from close, in that case st. forward can trade with j.fierce.

One advice I can give is never jump on him unless you really have to and you're 200% he doesn't have a charge, not just vertical but horizontal too because of standing flip kick, you're stronger than him on the ground and if you get knocked down you're probably done. If you do get knocked down, I feel the best you can do is try to block, even if you can get reversal upkicks consistently it's not unusual to still be hit, if you can't get reversal upkicks consistently that's even more of a reason.
    Open the round with lighting legs (keep it out for as short as possible) or jump back short.
    Be really careful when throwing fireballs don't be predictable, he can punish you from everywhere on the screen.
    Most important, don't get frustrated if you lose to just wall dives, it's happened to everyone.

random note: if you're cornered (standing), and he dives off the wall you're against so that he comes down from right above your head, st. strong.
    if you have no time, just block. the trade isnt in your favor.
    I don't entirely agree. While the damage trade is indeed in his favour, if you block his jump in you're in a pretty bad position, a trade can reset the fight. It's situation dependent.
    i personnally dont like trading but sometimes its acceptable
    cause in some matchups losing life as not as important as losing
    position
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
    i've been applying some of the tips i got about the claw machtupp and its a little easier
    unfortunatly i still dont have something clean if the claw player decides to jump aggresivle upclose, seeing how upkicks sucks as an anti air here's an example of what i mean:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JJfX-0yZ2Eg

wacht closely in the second macht where dsp picks claw and start pressuring doyle with upclose jumping attacks, any idea what to do in that situation cause i ussuallyblock the barrage of jumping attacks to crounching mp but then i just get grabbed

i know there has to be somehting am missing in this machtup
    any ideas?
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    What is good to do after Chun's throw is teched (assuming you didnt throw them into the corner, of course)? jump away? mash legs? must a teched throw mean the end of Chun's initiative?
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
    walk forward, and you can do a meaty c.mk mixup, or just whiff a jab and let them whiff their reversal.
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    What is good to do after Chun's throw is teched (assuming you didnt throw them into the corner, of course)? jump away? mash legs? must a teched throw mean the end of Chun's initiative?
    Depends on the character.

Against Sim, you pretty much have to just jump away, because if you're on the ground, he gets a free throw.

Against Ryu/Ken with no meter, st.Forward is pretty good. The only thing they can do about it is DP, but that's risky. Lightning legs are also good.

Who in particular is giving you problems?
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • EhondaEhonda Nothingness of Xband Joined: Posts: 399
    Chun vs Chun
    What can Chun do in the air against Chun when she is jumping in with Forward? Player A is jumping in with Frwd and is in the air first, player B needs to respond in the air as well. This is assuming that the forward will be able to combo if it lands. What is the best counter to the J forward with Chunli.
    aka Nothingness from xband
    t+ T+ -r+ m+ s+ v+ M+ o+
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n6J6aUfa2_8 (me playing ST and losing
    SUMO
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 4,524
    Chun vs Chun
    What can Chun do in the air against Chun when she is jumping in with Forward? Player A is jumping in with Frwd and is in the air first, player B needs to respond in the air as well. This is assuming that the forward will be able to combo if it lands. What is the best counter to the J forward with Chunli.

That's a good question. I have had limited success with the air throw as a counter, but I wouldn't say it is reliable.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."
    i've always wondered about mirror macthes, sometimes i feel a little sloppy playing Chun vs. Chun i would like some input please:)
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
    Chun vs Chun
    Block. Yes, block, j.forward is like the best jumping attack in the game, and Chun Li's lacking in the antiair department.
    I don't know what you mean with j.forward being able to combo when you're both in the air though.
    Btw Chun Li mirrors are stupid I usually just switch to Guile, who's at disadvantage, but at least I know what to do...
    throw fireballs, try to stay at the range where you can counter j.mk with straight up jump short or rh.

once inside do typical s.mp/c.mk/c.rh/throw mixups.

do super motion after fireballs to store once you have it, you can use super as AA or anti fireball vs chun.
    Trade by making her land on a fireball. Yeah, you still get hit, but she's in a much worse position, because she just got knocked down.

That, or super. (Catch her in the landing frames to get all 6 hits plus up-kicks.)
    It was a fun ten years.

okay so we all know taht when we have the super stored and we trow we have to tap back then foward to keep the charge btu what i was wondering was can you throw someone backwards and still keep your charge cause i've been trying to do it but i cant get it to come out

If anybody is wondering why i wanna trow backwards
    its because if someone is in the corner and you trow them into the corner they get a free trwo
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
    Yes, you can keep the super stored while throwing backwards too. It's a bit harder, but it's done like this: Say Chun is on the 1P (left) side, and the opponent is on the 2P (right) side. With the super already stored, Chun would do left+Strong (to throw backwards), then right, then left and hold it.
    It was a fun ten years.

• chun_li1chun_li1 Joined: Posts: 147
    Chun vs Chun

Have you tried jump straight up + LK, MK? I havnt played Chun mirror much in ST and its been way to long ago, but in older SFs this would work. I know it would beat out jump in LK. you just had to do it as fast as possible depending on the jump angle.

Anyone can confirm this?

Another option is sac throw by doing early as possible stand HK. either gonna hit chun midair or you recover faster then normal take the blow option since HKs hit box is extended to up front.

Or you walk under, past chun, then LP/HP chun mid air from behind or throw (risky) her.

chun_li1
    Space Nazis Incoming : http://www.ironsky.net/
    HI Nki,

may i know is there any way to counter deejay combo whenever he jumped
    towards my back with middle kick ?

tq
    may i know is there any way to counter deejay combo whenever he jumped towards my back with middle kick ?
    He wrote about this in the Chun Li vs. DeeJay section of the wiki:

NKI wrote:
    If he crosses you up with j.Forward, it is not blocked as a cross-up. You need to block it as if it weren't a cross-up. Your other option is to just Spinning Bird Kick out of there. If you mess up your Spinning Bird Kick, a good DeeJay will follow up the blocked cross-up with a cr.Jab, then either throw or do cr.Short xx Machine Gun Upper. ALWAYS just plan on teching the throw. If you stand up early to try to reversal throw, you could get hit by cr.Short xx Machine Gun Upper, that very well might dizzy you, and you could be done for the round. Teching the throw is the much better, safer option.

Although I thought whether or not the j.MK had to be blocked as a crossup or not depended on DeeJay's position and timing when using it. :looney:
    Yes, you can keep the super stored while throwing backwards too. It's a bit harder, but it's done like this: Say Chun is on the 1P (left) side, and the opponent is on the 2P (right) side. With the super already stored, Chun would do left+Strong (to throw backwards), then right, then left and hold it.

thanks
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
    He wrote about this in the Chun Li vs. DeeJay section of the wiki:

Thanks raisin for the wiki link.

guess what... today i played ST against Akuma/Gouki, only won 4 out of 10 games... really sick of his air ball....

the only to beat him out is do the forward/RH meaty...

i have to stop using all charachters against akuma now...
    uhh?!
    nobody play's Akuma he's banned
    hi's air fireball is too retarded for serious play
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
    guess what... today i played ST against Akuma/Gouki, only won 4 out of 10 games... really sick of his air ball....
    Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I'm amazed (as I'm sure are a lot of other people reading this) that your opponent's actually playing Akuma and acting like it's no big deal. I mean, here in USA, I've only ever seen him get picked by either the totally clueless and terrible new players or by the wiseguy playing a trick on friends for a single game only.

Looks like we need to update the wiki with info on the Chun Li vs. Akuma matchup quick! :rolleyes: :wink:

The cheesiness of the reused sound effects always gets me. Every time he does a hurricane kick, I'm like, "Heck yes, lariat!" :rofl:
  • VegaVega Joined: Posts: 917
    Looks like we need to update the wiki with info on the Chun Li vs. Akuma matchup quick! :rolleyes: :wink:

Please, don't bother. Just study these puppies.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inoki+%28akuma%29&search_type=
    Akuma vs. Chun-Li, Zangief, Ryu, and Blanka. :woot: :smile:

Somone can feel free to positive rep me now for my generous additions to the ST forums. :rofl:

Raisin, you'll be seeing my incredible Akuma at an upcoming Super Sunday event. Brace yo-self. :wgrin:
    7 and a switchblade.
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    ^
    Inoki was actually a more than capable Ryu player until he decided to retire and for his last tournament, X-Mania 3, he decided to play a one-man Akuma team as a joke.
    uh anybody have any ideas how to stop claw jump ins with j.fierce
    claws j.fierce eats up kicks alive, i've been trying to use crouching RH but it still gets stuffed
    maeby standing RH?
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator
  • KuenaiKuenai Outta Gas Joined: Posts: 2,249
    Anyone have tips on execution regarding held super? I've tried to do cr.forward into it, but don't get super. I was told by Zass that one of the things he learned in Japan bu can't yet do himself is this:

Hold super walking forward, quickly bring the stick to neutral, then to down, pressing mk, then bringing the stick back to neutral, then forward>drum kicks, provided the mk connects.

So, this all comes out as: Walk forward, cr.mk>super, and it's a hit confirm! But I can't move the stick so quickly while going to neutral first :sad:
    If you play marvel, WATCH JOO'S DVD. And please seed :D
    uhh?! i think your talking about 3rd strike
    i've never heard of hit confirming chun's super in ST
    somebody coreect me if im wrong
    ST-Guile
    SF4-Dictator