Kaimana RGB LED Board thread, RGB animations and more! SRK Tech Talk 2013 Product of the Year!

armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.comJoined: Posts: 1,824
edited January 2014 in Tech Talk
The Kaimana LED Controller is a powerful new tool for those looking to get the most out of their custom arcade stick or cabinet! This is the first board to used indexed LEDs in an arcade stick and allows for RGB control and animations. It is also the first fight stick RGB LED controller to provide full RGB control for joystick ball tops and hit box configurations.

The Kaimana can run conventional LEDs like the Pele's or Uila's with an adapter board or can be used to run the new Kaimana J's:
paradise-kaimana-j-rgb-led.jpg

Unlike previous LED boards, the Kaimana uses indexed LEDs so they can be connected in series and you don't have to have multiple wires running from the controller board to each LED
Diagram:
fetch.php?w=500&tok=633a2d&media=kaimana_led_chain_default.png
Example (jwyder's stick):
KaimanaInstaled_zpsdfcceb65.jpg

It is also designed for easy installation as a pass through board. The pinouts are the same as a PS360 so modding your dual mod stick could not get any easier!

Diagram:
KaimanaWiringDiagram_zps1cfc4cc6.png

I have installed three of these systems, and total install time, including installing all the buttons and joystick ahs been less than 1 hour each time using the Kaimana J's

Based on the infinitely flexible Arduino, this board can do just about anything you can imagine. Because it uses the extremely simple to learn Arduino programming language, this board opens the gate for anyone to create their own light patterns and shows.

As people invent there own animations series we will be adding them to the store for download and people who contribute programs will be able to earn store credit! As of right now the entire Ryu special move set for SFIV has been coded with animations. The best part is that all you need is a USB cable and any of the programs created can be loaded in seconds!

Boards and accessories can be purchased here:
paradise-kaimana-led-controller-pcb.jpg

Post edited by armi0024 on
www.paradisearcadeshop.com Sanwa, Seimitsu and a ton of custom parts
2015 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, OBS-MX buttons
2014 Tech Talk Stick Mod of the Year, LVT3 TE2
2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller

Comments

• armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,824
    edited November 2013
    Wiki:http://support.paradisearcadeshop.net/doku.php?id=kaimana_led_controller

This section is where we will post new code and links to the videos for that code:
    https://github.com/armi0024/kaimana/archive/master.zip
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller
  • armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,824
    Thread for kits lists:

This section will be used to create lists of parts for different configurations.
    edited November 2013
    New Idea #1 - make direct adapter harnesses for the Arc Eye 2, inspired by Beakersoft
    -The Kaimana adapter will allow Arc Eye 2's to be incorporated into the system, so if I have the pin out I can make custom harnesses so this is just plug and play!

Anyone else have ideas they want to see incorporated?
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181
    Maybe for a new iteration of the board to have a trace from VCC to the corresponding points on the bottom terminals that start the chain?

Also maybe some compatibility for a solderless solution for uilas using an adapter board?
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
    edited November 2013
    Great suggestions: I can do a harness for now and maybe a 2 pin jumper so it's easy and doesn't require a wire harness?
    If someone tries to run LEDs at a different voltage and that is connected into the VCC that could cause big problems. This way there is a catch when connecting power. Stop! if you can't figure this out, you shouldn't be doing it! For now I can just include a harness with the board ready to go....

For the Uila's we have the housings and crimps in so you can add your own fittings, the only problem is they sent us the female housing and male metal crimps... we are changing this, you up for making a tutorial when we have them :)
    Post edited by armi0024 on
  • ZonbiPandaZonbiPanda Joined: Posts: 73
    How about a Y signal adapter which connects to the PS360+ (in my panel) and then to just one side of the Kaimana and out to my buttons and stick? I could use that with a right angle pin header down one side of the Kaimana too.
    @ZonbiPanda Shoot me a sketch of that in PM, sounds possible but that's why we have the pass through to make it easy to integrate. Maybe a pin set that would plug into one side with free wires to screw into the PS360, or.. with a plug for the PS360 solder point.

I like the right ankle that's a great option, we will add that.
  • wahoo747wahoo747 Joined: Posts: 24
    Code still needs some cleanup but here is a peek at what I was able to get done this weekend on the kaimana sketch. New stuff includes:
    - menu mode w/ custom colors (up to 8 "profiles" supported)
    - last profile memory (kaimana remembers which profile you were using between sessions)
    - new idle animation (K.I.T.T. inspired scan)
    - And a marvel 3 profile
    (original kaimana master profile can be loaded from menu)

The marvel loadout features Yellow buttons on point, Green on assist, and purple on anchor. A unique animation plays during a hard tag for each character... sort of a flash loop in thing for nova, green slide footdive thing for doom, and random purple flashes for strider. The buttons and assist button colors also shift when a hard tag is made so they use the color for whoever is on screen or behind each button. and Xfactor is red. Hopefully a good starting point for some better marvel stuff, the animations themselves arent too impressive (and i left nova's out of the video :( )
    Awesome! When you finish the clean up we can post that with the video for others to download.

This is just the beginning!
  • jwyderjwyder Joined: Posts: 59
    Here is another version of the Wire Logic Diagram:

I did this to show that the Kaimana does not necessarily require wiring on both ends but wiring to the same inputs as the PCB. Hope this helps.

KaimanaWiringDiagram2_zpsb617e97c.png
    Looks good @jywder but you only need one ground wire between the ps360+ and the Kaimana.

That's the way I am running mine.

wahoo747 wrote: »
    Code still needs some cleanup but here is a peek at what I was able to get done this weekend on the kaimana sketch.

Sounds great @wahoo747. When will you be able to post this? I might integrate some of it into another class demo I am working on.
    @beakersoft We are going to work on the instructions for Arc Eye 2 Installs
    ZonbiPanda wrote: »
    Sounds great @wahoo747. When will you be able to post this? I might integrate some of it into another class demo I am working on.
    Later tonight or tomorrow. It will probably take a little work to drop it in another project though because I have rewritten the history as well. I have 1 function not in the master (to check if an input is held for a length of time), and I did away with the array-based history entirely in favor or a circular buffer. The buffer also holds the length of time each input was held. I was thinking of writing a "debounce" routine in the history test function because, and i will admit i am not a good player with precise execution etc, but for every 10 fireballs that come out on-screen my stick lights up the animation 7 times. It occurred to me that the problem might be that maybe the game will take "Down, Down+Right, Right+Attack" without that extra "Right" for the 3rd move where the code for the LEDs does not allow for that. So i thought maybe the problem was maybe not sloppy inputs but just the limited definitions we are using. So i stopped with the whole debounce thing but the time is still there so it can be picked up later or by someone else.

@ZonbiPanda I did not know that as I thought is was required to complete each circuit with each group of grounds. I will adjust the diagram, which GND did you use?

@wahoo747 looks great!! Please share!! Shows how versatile and how much we are scratching the surface with the kaimana. I like the debounce thought as it is more forgiving on the animations.

We also need to setup a way so users can pick an choose colors for each button and button combos as a option as well as even choosing a color scheme for the idle animation, meaning a color scheme that are closer to the theme of the stick. Profiles with these options is an absolutely awesome idea!!
    edited November 2013
    Ok, here it is. Don't know of any bugs but who knows...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d76o14qm90gh4h/menu-marvel-v1.7z
    boring info
    First off, i wasn't sure the best way to add on in an "open source" manner to a "all rights reserved" project so I moved as much of my new code as I could into new files and tossed the Apache 2 license up there so everyone can have at it. That being said I know there are 2 structs in the kaimana.h file that I just can't remember how to forward declare so i left them there.
    I am pretty sure I got all my #define customizations moved into the kaimana custom include file but I am not sure I caught them all. If you are looking to change just about anything, from colors to base/idle functions being called for each profile, those should be configurable via a #define compiler uhh, whatever those are. Only thing i can think of as being hardcoded color wise is the xfactor button color, its red. I forgot to add a define for that.
    I also moved the pollSwitches function into the kaimana class since I was using it as well for my marvel profile and menu etc. It now returns the switch activity uint instead of the active LED int. That uint is passed to each base profile base function. I could see adding a second parameter to the base functions to handle color palette arrays but I didn't start down that road yet. I also added a kaimana class function to test the status of an LED in case you need to do that outside of the pollSwitches function.
    I started making history changes because of the debounce issue i described above but didn't finish that either. So the only real history improvement is that it doesn't iterate through the entire array every time an item is added, you get the hold test function, and the time stamps are with the history which might prove useful if debounce on history is ever attempted.
    edit to add:
    Current beta folder, changelog in there
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jl4wnf2r698r3k/GQEghm4KVt
    Post edited by wahoo747 on
  • beakersoftbeakersoft Joined: Posts: 23
    armi0024 wrote: »
    @beakersoft We are going to work on the instructions for Arc Eye 2 Installs

Yep sounds good!
    jwyder wrote: »
    @ZonbiPanda I did not know that as I thought is was required to complete each circuit with each group of grounds. I will adjust the diagram, which GND did you use?

Bottom left in your diagram but it really does not matter as they are all tied together on the Kaimana.

Going to post a diagram of how integrate Arc Eye's 2 this weekend, then hopefully beakersoft will do an install video!
  • gteapalgteapal Joined: Posts: 19
    Question
    http://i.imgur.com/n96mFzE.jpg
    Is this correct?

I want to make is this
    http://i.imgur.com/K6OpEK2.jpg

Problem where?

http://support.paradisearcadeshop.com/doku.php?id=kaimana_led_controller
    I do not know where you want to change

Can I use without changing kaimana?

sorry for my poor English
    The compiler issue has been fixed, the link to the working version of that sketch should be

See if that will compile for you.

I didnt use any adapter boards so i cant help you with that.
    @gteapal do you have a Kaimana? if so you can download the updated code here:
    the update error was fixed

I have a long exam tomorrow, then I will not be in any condition tomorrow night to post, but on Sunday I will do a few video tutorials.
  • blackraenblackraen Joined: Posts: 229
    edited November 2013

I have a Kaimana REV A1

kaimana.cpp: In member function 'void Kaimana::updateALL()':
    kaimana.cpp:209: error: 'PORTF' was not declared in this scope

gteapal wrote: »
    kaimana.cpp: In member function 'void Kaimana::updateALL()':
    kaimana.cpp:209: error: 'PORTF' was not declared in this scope

That PORTF problem can be fixed by:
    menu Tools->Boards Select "Arduino Leonardo"
    Change to Arduino Leonardo
    Has failed

LpoyAlT.jpg
    hAIwAtV.jpg

Problem uploading to board.

Binary sketch size: 13,916 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
    Found programmer: Id = "BヘY"; type =
    Software = .;Hardware Version = .
    avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
    a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
  • YellowCanYellowCan Joined: Posts: 133
    Going by the last picture try to change to Com3 to match the arduino on the right. I know changing the com helped me when I was setting up my board.
  • PKKTenshiPKKTenshi Joined: Posts: 17
    Just got my kaimana on Saturday but can't figure out how to get it working.

Here's what I've done so far:
    1) I have it all wired up (ps360+ to kaimana) and am using the Kaimana J's to light up my buttons
    2) opened up the example sketch in the Arduino 1.0.5 IDE
    3) then went to tool -> board -> Arduino Leonardo
    and
    4) then went to tool -> serial port -> Com 3 (where my the Kaimana is assigned)
    5) after that i clicked on the kaimana_custom.h and uploaded it
    6) it took a minute or two then at the bottom it said "done uploading"
    (there was something weird that happened before this too. Before I tried a second time and got the IDE to say "done uploading", windows previously told me that it "failed to install drivers to Arduino Leonardo (com 4)" which was weird cause I designated the IDE towards Com 3. But after seeing that I restarted the IDE and was able to get the "done uploading".)

The LED's didn't light up or anything so I tried uploading the other sketches to see if they would work, but to no avail.
    So maybe my wiring is the problem? Here are some pictures
    20131110_154417_zpsec8c2d6e.jpg
    (I put electrical tape at the bottom of the kaimana to prevent it from touching metal, not sure if that was a good idea or not)
    20131110_154407_zps31a6f4ef.jpg
    20131110_154343_zps3d05e7ca.jpg
    thanks for the help, I really hope I didn't break my kaimana or do something possibly even worse!
    PSN:PKKTenshi
    DoA5U Main: Tina Armstrong (Alts:Rachel, Hitomi, Mila)
    I'm not too great at all, but would love to have some people to train and play with. Feel free to add me :D
    I cant tell from the pictures, do you have 5v line to the LED side? You need to add 5v to both the screw-down terminal and the LED circuit, easiest way to do that is to add a wire to the unused VCC screw-down and bring it over to one of the pins on the unused LED connector. I had an extra 3" kaimana connector i cut in half and added an extra piece of wire to cover the distance.
    Oooh okay, wasn't sure what that transparent line meant in jwyder's diagram. yea I dont have the VCC line on the other side wired up to anything. Is there a different method to doing that other than cutting a connector (don't have an extra on hand) or soldering? (I dont have any soldering skills, sadly)
    I'm not too great at all, but would love to have some people to train and play with. Feel free to add me :D
    We cab first class postage you a connector if you need one
    That would be great! Would it be possible to send over a 6" connector by first class postage or would that be too heavy? sending you a pm. Thanks Bryan!
    @PKKTenshi I guess I should have explained it better. Here is the link to the support page at Paradise Arcade Shop that explains the power zones. I have the red line as transparent because it goes on the back of the kaimana. I soldered a wire from the VCC pin in Zone 1 to the 5V pin in Zone 2, you can wire to any of the 4 +5VDC pins and then the kaimana and LED's will have full power.

If you do not wish to solder you may want to take a new wire from an open VCC on the kaimana on one end and then try to connect to one of the +5VDC pins in the male connector and then try to secure that with the female end of the connector cable. There is a small opening on the connector on the kaimana that you might be able to fit in. The only thought on that is that it might pop out if the fight stick is moved a lot.

Do you know someone who can solder? It is very easy, just tin the wire(s), heat the pin and then make the solid connection.

Does that help?
    That definitely helps, thanks for the explanation. I'll give your idea a try and see if electrical tape will be enough to secure it. Thanks again jwyder!
    Actually brain fart...
    @PKKTenshi Just cut the white wire plugged into the Kaimana at the other end.
    Then you just have to strip it and insert that into the VCC port.
    The white and purple wires are connected at the Kaimana and the LED

You will also need to adjust for 6 buttons and no joystick but let me know when you get the power jumped and I'll help you with the next step.
    haha i think i just fried my ps360+ pcb xD tried doing that method jwyder mentioned and i saw my pcb start smoking up near the rj45 jack. Will have to get back to you on this once i get a hold of another ps360+ hahaha
    edited November 2013
    @PKKTenshi sorry to hear of the trouble, not sure why that happened? I did this when I first got the kaimana. I did this to test everything and it worked fine for me, then I soldered the wire on the back. I followed the directions on the support link I sent you. Hard to tell from the pictures above if you have something crossed. You should of not seen smoke from the USB.
    It's cool haha no worries. I tried doing it three times to see if i could get the LED's to light up. First time, the light on the Kaimana didn't come up, second time it did, third time was when the smoke started coming up. I posted a picture up above with my wiring or did you mean like a shot with all the wiring? cause there was one picture in my previous post showing the wiring from the ps360+ to the kaimana. But if that wasn't enough I wouldn't mind taking another, might be a little harder to see though cause one part of the wiring is on the top of my case and the home/start/select wiring is on the bottom piece so I would have to be a little far back to get both pieces in and Im just worried you wont be able to clearly see where it all goes.
    20131110_194411_zps5b5fd95b.jpg
    20131110_194622_zps2c055315.jpg
    20131110_194838_zps2e1b44b6.jpg
    20131110_194855_zpsea50e970.jpg

I'll try to explain how I wired it though just in case the picture is hard to see. With the wiring i just stripped one wire from both ends and connect it to the pcbs like your wiring diagram, while with the LED's i just had them daisy chained. Thanks jwyder
    From what I can see in the last pick you have the joysick wires crossed coming out of the kaimana to the PS360+, meaning you have the Down and Up wires crossed etc... and the black wires are not easy to trace and your K4 wire is missing. Can you trace each wire to verify their connections?
    oh the joystick wires are crossed cause originally I had a jlf going to the ps360+ and when i put in my ls-40 i switched em around after putting them through the kaimana to get the right directions. I dont have a wire going through the K4 and P4 cause I'm only using 6 buttons instead of eight. All the wires are going to the right connections (except LEDs), I was playing on it through out this weekend and they were all the right inputs.
    Ah ok I see now. Well just trying to help and I am exhausted from the day. Let me know if there is something I can do to help.
    Haha thanks for the help jwyder, appreciate the sentiment :D Just gotta order a new ps360+ now and try out Bryan's method. Then all that's left is to hope it works hahaha
  • major pwnedmajor pwned Joined: Posts: 61
    Will most definitely pick these up when I get a new stick :)
    edited November 2013
    I think this is the power diagram @jwyder was referring to over on the paradise arcade shop support site. Some of the software coding information is way out of date (before the Kaimana Class was developed and the Kaimana example code posted) but the power and cable info is correct.

support.paradisearcadeshop.net/doku.php?id=kaimana_led_controller

Kaimana Power

The Kaimana controller was designed with flexibility in mind and has two distinct and separate power zones that share a common ground.

Zone 1 = Kaiamana - controller/logic/usb power
    Zone 2 = LED power

fetch.php?cache=&media=kaimana_power_zones-v2.png

fetch.php?cache=&media=kaimana_power_zones_bridged.png
    @wahoo747 I finally had a chance to load your code and spend some time with it. I have to say WOW!!! The Marvel stuff is just awesome!!! Especially when you switch characters and the LED colors switch all to that color, just AWESOME!!! I love the menu and the KITT idle animation!!! And I was surprised and entertained by playing Simon which I have not played in a long time. Great work!!!

@ZonbiPanda Yes, that is the diagrams I was referring to, I will post a pic of the wire soldered between the VCC and the +5VDC on the back o the kaimana soon as I need to make adjustments in my case.
    @jwyder Thanks. The simon and extra unused idle animations were just me stalling on the hold/flash Zero stuff. Wanted to figure out how to do the "stateless" flash on the cheap but never liked the look I got without using sin() so wound up going that route anyway. Been busy so I haven't had a chance to work on it in a few days but I'm not exactly sure what I would add next anyway.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,344
    Possible to do different color effect for each of iron fists power ups. Low tier character so it probably wouldn't be used much. Buttons could change after Maximum Wesker to indicate glasses off. There should be something for Phoenix. Not sure what. Vergils charge move indicator. Spiral Swords animation. Devil Trigger animation. I can imagine something cool for Gravity Squeeze/Dark Dimension. Dorm spells....just thought I would throw some ideas out there.
  • beakersoftbeakersoft Joined: Posts: 23
    has anyone wrote and released any animations yet that just use the kick/punch buttons. I dont have and LED joystick or LEDS's for the start/select/guide buttons. If There's none out there already I'll have a go at writing one
  • YellowCanYellowCan Joined: Posts: 133
    beakersoft wrote: »
    has anyone wrote and released any animations yet that just use the kick/punch buttons. I dont have and LED joystick or LEDS's for the start/select/guide buttons. If There's none out there already I'll have a go at writing one

Even if you don't have an LED joystick you can still use the joystick to trigger animations (ryu ones for example). I don't have an LED joystick and they still work just fine.
    The current code is pretty easy to shut off or turn on buttons, but I'll post some common combinations for people.

And what Yellowcan said is 100% accurate, just because you don't use leds on the joystick I would still plug those leads into the board since they can be used for combinations.