Kaimana RGB LED Board thread, RGB animations and more! SRK Tech Talk 2013 Product of the Year!

Comments

• armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,803
    edited November 2013
    Wahoo just installed your code, great work! let me know if you mind me posting this to a github folder and linking it in our thread at the top.

Also I am going to edit the different codes to allow for Full RGB, 8 button with menu, 8 button without menu, 6 button with menu, 6 button without menu just so everyone can easily install a version that works.
    Post edited by armi0024 on
    www.paradisearcadeshop.com Sanwa, Seimitsu and a ton of custom parts
    2015 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, OBS-MX buttons
    2014 Tech Talk Stick Mod of the Year, LVT3 TE2
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller
  • jwyderjwyder Joined: Posts: 59
    edited November 2013
    @beakersoft when using the Kaimana without LED Joystick of Start/Select/Home buttons you just need to change the order of the LED's defined in the kaimana_custom.h so that your first LED from the kaimana controller is set to 0 then the next to 1 etc... Here are my changes that I do as I do not have LED's on my Joystick of Start/Select/Home buttons:

#define  LED_K4      0
    #define  LED_K3      1
    #define  LED_K2      2
    #define  LED_K1      3
    #define  LED_P1      4
    #define  LED_P2      5
    #define  LED_P3      6
    #define  LED_P4      7
    #define  LED_JOY     8
    #define  LED_HOME    9
    #define  LED_GUIDE   9
    #define  LED_SELECT  10
    #define  LED_BACK    10
    #define  LED_START   11

So my first LED is on LED_K4.

Here is the original Kaimana code. It has the first LED on LED_JOY
    #define  LED_JOY     0
    #define  LED_HOME    1
    #define  LED_GUIDE   1
    #define  LED_SELECT  2
    #define  LED_BACK    2
    #define  LED_START   3
    #define  LED_P1      4
    #define  LED_P2      5
    #define  LED_P3      6
    #define  LED_P4      7
    #define  LED_K1      8
    #define  LED_K2      9
    #define  LED_K3      10
    #define  LED_K4      11

Make sense?
    Post edited by jwyder on
  • beakersoftbeakersoft Joined: Posts: 23
    @jwyder I had a quick look at the source last night and figured i needed to do something like this. Thanks for the clarification
  • domaugdomaug Joined: Posts: 7
    i have a question since i'm interested in using a Kaimana setup in a fight stick i plan on building. it's probably a "duh" question but i want to make sure i have a good idea of how to set up everything since i'm new to LED mods.

i was thinking of using a simple 3M Scotchlok to splice a wire from the VCC terminal to the LED power. below is a little diagram i whipped up to illustrate this.

kaimanavccwire_zps80dcae38.png

my question is this: would this setup work to supply power to the LED chain and PCB? if not, which simple, solderless setup can i use to get power into the LED chain and PCB? again, it's a "duh" question but i want to know before i purchase any LED stuff since i'm new to making LED mods. thanks.
  • armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,803
    The two power lines to the LEDs are redudant so you can do this without the scotchlok and it will work great!
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller
  • deBorudeBoru Salty Shodan! Joined: Posts: 429
    domaug wrote: »
    i have a question since i'm interested in using a Kaimana setup in a fight stick i plan on building. it's probably a "duh" question but i want to make sure i have a good idea of how to set up everything since i'm new to LED mods.

i was thinking of using a simple 3M Scotchlok to splice a wire from the VCC terminal to the LED power. below is a little diagram i whipped up to illustrate this.

kaimanavccwire_zps80dcae38.png

my question is this: would this setup work to supply power to the LED chain and PCB? if not, which simple, solderless setup can i use to get power into the LED chain and PCB? again, it's a "duh" question but i want to know before i purchase any LED stuff since i'm new to making LED mods. thanks.

No need for a scotchlok, just cut that wire and connect it to the vcc terminal. that is the reason for there being 2 power wires throughout the chain.
    Nintendo 2DS Friend Code: 0619 - 4370 - 4095
    PlayStation Network/Steam ID: Chivalier
    Baby Registry: https://www.amazon.com/registry/baby/331X2ZYUUFEC6
    that's very simple then. thanks for the quick responses :D
  • gteapalgteapal Joined: Posts: 19

successful? upload

It does not work well

LED is gloomy

I also tried this

kaimana_custom.h

#define _LED_ORDER_DEFAULT_ true
    //#define _LED_ORDER_JWYDER_ true

Change

#define _LED_ORDER_JWYDER_ true

Where is the problem?

sorry my poor english
    @gteapal something is not right, let me try a few things out to see if I can recreate the problem here.
    Can you send a picture close up of the connections on the Kaimana board.
  • wahoo747wahoo747 Joined: Posts: 24
    edited November 2013
    I can't see how you are powering the LEDs. How are you bringing the 5v from the USB to the LEDs?

Also, I am wondering if you have the Kaimana->D1[Kaimana J 1]D0->D1[Kaimana J 2]D0->D1... order correct. In = D1, out = D0. If the LEDs are lighting but no 5v line to LED side, is it getting power from the data line? Could having a backwards Kaimana J somewhere in your chain cause this?
    armi0024 wrote: »
    Wahoo just installed your code, great work! let me know if you mind me posting this to a github folder and linking it in our thread at the top.

Go for it!
  • gteapalgteapal Joined: Posts: 19
    Solved

Thank you everyone

HNUuMBC.jpg

• SherryjenixSherryjenix Joined: Posts: 151
    Hm... If I wanted to control LEDs outside of the joystick/home/select/start/action buttons, like the player LEDs, where would I hook up the pins to on the Kaimana?
    c viper >=D
    Because the Kaimana uses indexable leds, all LEDs connect to one of the two ports at the bottom. The LEDs all connect in order as shown above. If you want leave out some leds shown in the diagrams, we can help you modify the set up for that. If you want to detect button presses of those buttons, you just use the terminal on either side.
    Okay, understood. I might be a bit unclear about what I'm trying to do here haha.

I might have emailed you earlier about having custom colors according to which console was hooked up to the PS360+. I emailed them to see if there was any that I could just get the Kaimana LED PCB to recognize which console the PS360 was hooked up to, and here was the response:

"Hello,

It works in the codeflow and detects the system through a custom algorithm, there is nothing external for the Kaimana to recognize at the discreet level and adjust. If someone wanted to perhaps do this, they could in theory attach to the player LEDs on 4 Kaimana inputs, and read whether or not they blink on and off for a couple of seconds like they would on the 360 system. If they say, didn't blink, but instead one player LED came on permanently (>1 second, let's say), then that would be a dead ringer for PS3 and you could branch the Kaimana code to go the way you want.

Best Regards,
    Per"

So I'm not actually adding more LED's to the Kaimana PCB, I'm just trying to use the player LEDs on the PS360+ as an input on the Kaimana. I'm just a bit lost on where exactly these input signals would go to if I have all the ports connected to my joystick/buttons.
    c viper >=D
    Give me a few days, I will hit up per and see if we can work something out
    Thank you! ^_^
    c viper >=D
    I am a bit confused on about the grounding on the board. When I plugin my button signal cables, that seem to be acting as a ground, so the state of the button is always on, until i press it and it goes off. I've got my power and ground coming into the board, and all that seems to be working apart from the button are on when there not pressed.

I've also noticed that if i plugin only my signal cable and ground, the light on the Kaimana come on (its very faint but its on), and again when i do this the statr of the button goes to on. Any idea where i might be going wrong, i could i have broken my Kaimana?
    hmmm, shoot me a picture of your set up to my email armi0024@gmail.com
    @armi0024 will do, I kind of think its my controller PCB doing something silly rather than the Kaimana, but it does work ok when not hooked up. All the animations and everything work as expected, and the Kaimana knows when the button as been pressed so its really confusing me!
    WIN A PS360+ and KAIMANA INSTALLED INTO A FOEHAMMER STEALTH S7.
    It's simple, just review items you bought from the store and you get one chance to enter (not to mention a voucher for doing the review!) Vouchers are limited but entries are only limited to the items you purchased. All reviews submitted in November through the 29th will be eligible for entry. Didn't buy something? Submit an article to the Wiki, entries to the Wiki must be original work.

Paradise Arcade is entirely responsible for this stick and any warranties.
  • ZonbiPandaZonbiPanda Joined: Posts: 69
    edited November 2013
    Hey @gteapal, I see you already resolved your issue but I went back and updated the wiki with the info to help everyone.

The labels on the LEDs are INPUT and OUTPUT to form a continuous chain.

DI (eye) is Data INPUT and DO (oh) is Data OUTPUT. The LEDs work by linking the OUTPUT from the Kaimana to the INPUT of the first LED. The OUTPUT from the first LED is linked to the INPUT of the second LED and so on.

A few of us (possibly including myself) incorrectly stated the INPUT and OUTPUT labels as numbers 0 and 1 which was wrong. Hopefully that helps someone else get their Kaimana up and running!

fetch.php?cache=&media=kaimana_led_chain_default.png
  • PKKTenshiPKKTenshi Joined: Posts: 17
    @ZonbiPanda yea that definitely helped me get my LED's working! Really really huge ignorance on my part, I honestly didn't even notice the D1 and D0 on the Kaimana J's to begin with hahaha. It never pays to rush things! And is anyone offering coding services? Been trying to figure out how to control the LED's through the arduino coding page and the kaimana wiki, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of required code for it to be ready for upload.

Pretty much what I've tried to do was copy the code, at least what I think was the code, from one of the example sketches for the idle animation and added "Kaimana.setALL( 255, 40, 147 )" to light up my pink buttons when not idle. Is it a lot more difficult to do this than I thought? Or is it even more simple?
    PSN:PKKTenshi
    DoA5U Main: Tina Armstrong (Alts:Rachel, Hitomi, Mila)
    I'm not too great at all, but would love to have some people to train and play with. Feel free to add me :D
    Very simple, you just want them all to be pink solid or pink on an off when you are not in idle?
  • PKKTenshiPKKTenshi Joined: Posts: 17
    pink solid when not idle :D
    PSN:PKKTenshi
    DoA5U Main: Tina Armstrong (Alts:Rachel, Hitomi, Mila)
    I'm not too great at all, but would love to have some people to train and play with. Feel free to add me :D
  • ZonbiPandaZonbiPanda Joined: Posts: 69
    Glad to hear that helped @PKKTenshi !
  • ZensoukenZensouken Ouroboros = Chips Ahoy! Joined: Posts: 1,284
    I asked in the Paradise thread not realizing there was a dedicated Kaimana thread. So, please excuse my cross-post.

Exactly how many (max) Kaimana J LEDs can the Kaimana PCB drive? I see there are 15 signal inputs but does that mean 15 LED outputs or do the 4 joystick inputs translate to 1 LED output resulting in 12 LED outputs max?
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    CFN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    superschure.com
  • YellowCanYellowCan Joined: Posts: 133
    The headers/screw terminals are just used for a pass through with your controller pcb your using, in order for the Kaimana to control the leds (animations for example). After you daisy chain your LEDs together they plug into one the bottom ports. I don't for sure how many LEDs the Kaimana can power but I know it's far more than the 12 a normal arcade stick uses.
    @YellowCan, I hope that's true; I'd like to power 14 LEDs if possible.
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    superschure.com
    15 can be run, but most people use a Joystick as one led which consolidates 4 inputs into 1. The limitation to number of LED's is simply power. You can run 100 LEDs off the Kaimana, but you will need something more than USB power to do that. Indexable LEDs allow you to chain as many as you want together. So while there are only 14 inputs, the output capability is well beyond that.
    @armi0024 well ultimately I just need to power LEDs on 14 buttons sans an actual joystick; hitbox style. Can I do that separating the JOY code in arduino, indexing 14 buttons to illuminate separately?
    superschure.com
    Yes, very easily, the original coding was for a hitbox
    free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif
    superschure.com
  • dejdej Joined: Posts: 460
    is it possible to create led lights elsewhere on the stick thats not buttons/joystick? led strips or whatever its called
    edited December 2013
    EDIT: Ughh, posted in wrong thread. Can I delete this?
    superschure.com
    REVIEW:

I bought this board and Kaimana J LEDs (along with harnesses) to install my first LED rig in my new arcade stick. I was surprised how easy it was to install everything.

The first thing I had to do was strip the ends of the wires to fit in each terminal, but even for people who have no experience with that, it's not much of a headache. The harnesses plugged right in after a little effort (they REALLY stay in there). Then I wired my Voltech harnesses to the Kaimana. Finally, I wired each terminal to the matching terminals on my PS360+ board.

After everything was plugged in and ready to go, I had to change some of the default code to match my LED positions (since I didn't have a joystick LED or LEDs for the start/select/home buttons). At first, if you have absolutely no coding experience, this could be intimidating, but surprisingly everything was pretty straight-forward after reading the wiki page for the Kaimana. I'm still reading up on how to code my own programs so I can tailor the LED patterns to what I like.

Overall, if you're new to modding arcade sticks or just want something new, the Kaimana LED board and Kaimana Js are AWESOME to use. It didn't take me more than 15 minutes to install everything in my arcade stick. - See more at: http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/home/1050-paradise-kaimana-led-controller-pcb-0085574200312.html#sthash.ezeRAle2.dpuf
    edited December 2013
    @domaug thanks for the bump!

@dej this is the main advantage of the Kaimana, you can make them anywhere you want. Any 5V WS2811 or WS2812 based chip will work, or you can use adapters on conventional LEDs. This is why we did open source, to allow people to really let there imaginations run wild.
    i'm looking to make my own code and integrate it into wahoo's cool little code that involves switching setups with a custom menu. how would i add a 4th option and how would i set it to use his default idle animation?

all i really want to do with my own code is set P1 to blue, P2 to red, K1 to green, and the rest to 206,193,138 when pressed. i don't want any fancy animations or effects (yet). can someone please help me set this up?
  • wahoo747wahoo747 Joined: Posts: 24
    i'm looking to make my own code and integrate it into wahoo's cool little code that involves switching setups with a custom menu. how would i add a 4th option and how would i set it to use his default idle animation?

all i really want to do with my own code is set P1 to blue, P2 to red, K1 to green, and the rest to 206,193,138 when pressed. i don't want any fancy animations or effects (yet). can someone please help me set this up?

I started to reply to this and tell you how to do it but after 2 pages+ i decided that we needed a more basic example in the code so i added it. With the street fighter setup doing random colors and the marvel one checking for hard tags and such, there wasnt a stripped down profile to use as a starting point. Hopefully this will help. The colors are set as you requested doumaug, but are easily customizable in simplepress.h if anyone else wants to use this.

It is currently set as the 3rd option with simon as the last option (easy to change if you want). Adding/changing items to the menu and changing which idle animation plays with which profile is changed in kaimana_custom.h Around line 57 you'll see a marker for the menu setup, read the comments for those 4 items, that should tell you all you need to know about editing the menu.

same link
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/kaimana/menu+marvel v1/nightly
    wahoo747 wrote: »

I started to reply to this and tell you how to do it but after 2 pages+ i decided that we needed a more basic example in the code so i added it. With the street fighter setup doing random colors and the marvel one checking for hard tags and such, there wasnt a stripped down profile to use as a starting point. Hopefully this will help. The colors are set as you requested doumaug, but are easily customizable in simplepress.h if anyone else wants to use this.

It is currently set as the 3rd option with simon as the last option (easy to change if you want). Adding/changing items to the menu and changing which idle animation plays with which profile is changed in kaimana_custom.h Around line 57 you'll see a marker for the menu setup, read the comments for those 4 items, that should tell you all you need to know about editing the menu.

same link
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/kaimana/menu+marvel v1/nightly

thank you so much! i'll try this when i get home.
    the code worked and is pretty straight-forward. i'll play around with the code a bit and see if i can make a Divekick-related loadout.

thanks wahoo747, it works great :D
    Hey! I just received my Kaimana J's and the PCB! (Thank you for the chocolates as well ^_^)

Any updates on how to hook up the player LEDs as readable inputs on the Kaimana PCB? :x
    c viper >=D
  • Mr OsoMr Oso . . . Joined: Posts: 50
    Hey just wanted to know if im going to need more than the "Paradise Kaimana LED Driver PCB 8 Button Kit" to get the 8 buttons plus the joystick to light up. Id hate to miss something when ordering everything =/ . Also has anyone tried doing LED lighting with a JLF Link?
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Student of SRK Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 1,175
    Mr Oso wrote: »
    Hey just wanted to know if im going to need more than the "Paradise Kaimana LED Driver PCB 8 Button Kit" to get the 8 buttons plus the joystick to light up. Id hate to miss something when ordering everything =/ . Also has anyone tried doing LED lighting with a JLF Link?
    Lighting through the link is possible with a 3mm LED, but it sort of defeats the purpose of a removable shaft since you will have the LED sitting on or within the top of the shaft. You could light it by having the LED placed in the base of the Link but I don't know a good way to go about mounting that in place.

In short it does work but you lose the main functionality of the Link.

I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
    i made a short video showing wahoo747's new code in action:

So damn stylish. Gonna write up a bunch of code when I get my Kaimana.
    superschure.com
    @domaug AWESOME STUFF

Mr. Oso, the problem is removing the link, no one has really come up with a good fiber optic system yet. Or an easy way to take the top off and leave the LED, You can use a 3mm and leave it sticking out when you pull the shaft but I do agree with Pnoy that might not be the best.

@wahoo747 thanks for helping out with code, we need to get some of your code posted on the site!

@Zensouken get going!

@Sherrijenix it can be done, on which stick and what are you trying to do?
  • Mr OsoMr Oso . . . Joined: Posts: 50
    Thanks for the info Pnoy and armi0024. Im thinkin i may still end up ordering the LED for the balltop and try to come up with something(good ole trial and error). Also i sent you a PM armi0024 ~~~
  • W00P MstR FresHW00P MstR FresH Making stuff is fun Joined: Posts: 822
    Where do I download the latest programs?
    Howdy, my Kaimana has arrived along with the winter storm so it's the perfect time for me to get knee deep in wiring/coding. I'm trying to affix the Kaimana Js to my Sanwas but I feel like they are a hair loose and will slip with gravity or a Final Atomic Buster motion. How're you all securing your Kaimana Js?
    superschure.com