Kaimana RGB LED Board thread, RGB animations and more! SRK Tech Talk 2013 Product of the Year!

Comments

• RylinnRylinn Joined: Posts: 41
    True_Tech wrote: »
    thanks, also when i wire this up do i have to wire a cable from the pcb for power, or is there some where else I can wire for power that's easier?

hey man if you dont mind spending money, go to the razer atrox thread, i posted how i did a solderless install, it required a screw terminal usb adapter and a brooks ufb though
  • RGOnautRGOnaut Joined: Posts: 20
    Kaimana mini<joystick<P4-P1<K1-K4<Start<Home<Select
  • RGOnautRGOnaut Joined: Posts: 20
    OK so I think I've finally figured it out. Looks like the led is busted/loose. Was playing some matches and noticed the joystick was lighting up. When I unscrewed the ball top though, it fluctuated between on and off. Upon applying pressure to the led afterwards, the led would light up! Idk if this is a simple fix but it seems like I got a replacement call to make
  • b15sdmb15sdm Well-Known Member Joined: Posts: 1,067
    Let me know if anyone can do some simple coding for the Kaimana mini and the latest LED rings. I just want the led numbers reordered and colours changed. I will pay for your services.
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 459
    b15sdm wrote: »
    Let me know if anyone can do some simple coding for the Kaimana mini and the latest LED rings. I just want the led numbers reordered and colours changed. I will pay for your services.

I could help but I currently only have the v1 series Kaimana and Leds, need to buy the mini and J2's. Crowdfund anyone? :lol:
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,353
    Sam,

I can send you something. Shoot me a PM.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • DemonitzuDemonitzu TEKKEN™ Joined: Posts: 15
    What is the combined height of the Kaimana mini on top of a Brook UFB?
  • everythingWasBeeseverythingWasBees Full of questions Joined: Posts: 159
    Hey @Jasen Hicks, do you happen to have documentation for the Khameleon? I remember there being some additional functionality compared to the standard Kaimana, but the wiki is down.
    The only added change is the USB pass through and if you hold HOME and K1 it will switch from the main PCB (UFB or 360) and shift to Kaimana over USB
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • F8L_ERRORF8L_ERROR Certified Hobo Joined: Posts: 18
    HI guys, I'm still pretty new to this, I have followed Fundando's tutorial video and several others like Jasen's tutorial on installing the Brook UFB with TE2 XB1 mod kit, which was awesome by the way and turned out great but I'm at my wits end right now.

So my issue is that I have installed the Kaimana LEDs 8 button kit and I have followed the tutorials to the letter. Once i plugged it in, they all lit up except 2 buttons which are my K1 and K2, I checked tested the wires and all the LED's, but they all work. The only thing I haven't tried is using the Arduino program my LED's, could that be case? anyways I will include pictures of my set up so any helpful advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    20160818_162716.jpg20160818_162753.jpg
    "The Dream is Dead"
    F8L_ERROR wrote: »

Swap the "dead" leds with some live ones, do they light up? Where did you get the code for the kaimana? This may help check what button layout the K is using.
    I mod so you can play!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    F8L_ERROR wrote: »
    HI guys, I'm still pretty new to this, I have followed Fundando's tutorial video and several others like Jasen's tutorial on installing the Brook UFB with TE2 XB1 mod kit, which was awesome by the way and turned out great but I'm at my wits end right now.

So my issue is that I have installed the Kaimana LEDs 8 button kit and I have followed the tutorials to the letter. Once i plugged it in, they all lit up except 2 buttons which are my K1 and K2, I checked tested the wires and all the LED's, but they all work. The only thing I haven't tried is using the Arduino program my LED's, could that be case? anyways I will include pictures of my set up so any helpful advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    20160818_162716.jpg20160818_162753.jpg

You have old code. Use: http://brightstick.freecade.org to generate new code and upload it to your Kaimana. Here's why:

Old Kaimana J's had two LEDs per board BUT it treated them like ONE in code. So, if you had all 8 buttons, 3 aux buttons, and a joystick: 12 total lights.

New Kaimana J's have two LEDs per board AND are treated like TWO in code. So now, you have 8 Kaimana Js which have 16 LEDs.... that's about 4 too many than stock code... or about 2 buttons worth :)

Jasen

• F8L_ERRORF8L_ERROR Certified Hobo Joined: Posts: 18
    that didn't work here's the error code
    Arduino: 1.6.11 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

In file included from C:\Users\F8L ERROR\Desktop\panzer2kaimana\panzer2kaimana.ino:33:0:

kaimana.h:152: error: 'prog_uint8_t' does not name a type

const prog_uint8_t sinusoid[257] PROGMEM = {

^

kaimana.h:176: error: 'prog_uint8_t' does not name a type

const prog_uint8_t colorCycleData[] PROGMEM = {

^

exit status 1
    'prog_uint8_t' does not name a type

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.
    "The Dream is Dead"
    edited August 2016
    You didn't read the directions on the website. It says to use 1.6.5 Arduino. I know this because I see this in your error: "Arduino: 1.6.11 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo""

Use 1.6.5. It works.

Jasen

I added a new feature to BrightStick's website today: Brightness. I have used something similar in the past manually, but added it to be "dynamic" so you can choose a brightness factor (1-100) to help lower the draw of the LEDs.

http://brightstick.freecade.org/

Eventually, ill add some more cool stuff like removing animations and a HitBox template.

Jasen

Updated the Kaimana (PFS2/Kaimana J 2) Hitbox code. Added a brightness setting in the KAIMANA_CUSTOM.H file:
    #define BRIGHTNESS                 1 // Set to a decimal between 0 and 1

Change that to a decimal between .01 and 1 to achieve a dimmer look.

PFS2 HitBox Kaimana Code

BrightStick Webkit updated for ‪#‎Hitbox‬ layouts on the ‪#‎PanzerFightStick2‬ or official Hit Box controls using the ‪#‎KaimanaJ2‬.

hitbox.png

• screw_ball69screw_ball69 Joined: Posts: 30
    My order for parts continues to get longer as I am deciding on stick art. I'm tempted to get these but do they need a custom board like the brooks or can they be wired into a stock hori stick for example
    Any common ground board will work with Kaimana.

• ChaoticMonkChaoticMonk Shut The Front Door Joined: Posts: 999
    Can the Kaimana handle 5v leds like the ones in these knock off 100m dome buttons?
    There would be 10 of them in total plus a few case leds (cheapo indexable ones).

Since the console is providing 5v through usb, not sure how/if that would work with multiple 5v bulbs.

Cheers!
    It only handles indexable LEDs.

It only handles indexable LEDs.
    What about using an adapter?
    I guess then you could maybe use a bunch of Kaimana J adapters but even then it would be wonky to code (controlling ground for the correct Cathode on each light based on how you wire them) But that's really overkill for somethings like this given those are solid color LEDs. Just wire them direct to 5v and GND as they are intended.

Got strobe and breathing animations working. Now to further experiment!
    I mod so you can play!
    @ChaoticMonk as Jasen mentions you should just make a led harness that connects straight to 5v.
    I mod so you can play!
    JRDIBBS wrote: »
    @ChaoticMonk as Jasen mentions you should just make a led harness that connects straight to 5v.

Thank you both.
    Any chance you know of a good reference for this? I'm still an amature when it comes to leds and can't wrap my ahead around how 10 5v leds can be lit by a single 5v source lol

Thank you both.
    Any chance you know of a good reference for this? I'm still an amature when it comes to leds and can't wrap my ahead around how 10 5v leds can be lit by a single 5v source lol

Daisy chain them like a ground daisy chain.

Which hollow shaft should I buy for the Hyabusa/will the stock one allow for a led to be put into it?
    Well these are a few animations I got working. The breathing animation was by far the most interesting one to build. Who knew I would make use of my Trig classes someday?

Walking animation

Starry animation

Breathing animation
    I mod so you can play!
  • liquidcourageliquidcourage Joined: Posts: 69
    Well these are a few animations I got working. The breathing animation was by far the most interesting one to build. Who knew I would make use of my Trig classes someday?

Walking animation

Starry animation

Breathing animation

@JRDIBBS Awesome job man! Can't wait to see what other animations you come up with.

• igloo77055igloo77055 Joined: Posts: 36
    edited August 2016
    Just ordered one of these for my Hori Fighting Edge with Brook UFB, can't wait to try it out.
    Although, I do have a question, has anyone tried using one of the recently popular RGB Strips for PCs?
    Some Asus motherboards have a header labled 12V, G, R, and B for these LED strips.
    Thinking if it's possible to replace the blue and red leds from the side of the fighting edge and replace it with these strips :p

Edit: Or maybe just use the small joystick LEDs that Paradise sells?
    http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/paradise-arcade-exclusive-products/556-rgb-5mm-led.html
    Although it does say it needs a resistor, I unfortunately don't have soldering experience
  • zozurzozur Joined: Posts: 12
    edited August 2016
    I have problems with me set up, i use http://brightstick.freecade.org/ to set up my buttons.

i can set up Joystick led, p1,p2,p3,p4,k1,k2,k3, but K4, SELECT, START and HOME each buttons has 2 different colors how can be posible?

also i want to add a extra buttons total 12 buttons and joystick led but i have no idea how set up the extra button.

Im using Kaimana mini and J2.

this is the code looks like for buttons:

#define LED_P4 16
    #define LED_P4_B 17
    #define LED_P3 14
    #define LED_P3_B 15
    #define LED_P2 12
    #define LED_P2_B 13
    #define LED_P1 10
    #define LED_P1_B 11
    #define LED_JOY 0
    #define LED_JOY_B 1
    #define LED_K4 2
    #define LED_K4_B 3
    #define LED_K3 4
    #define LED_K3_B 5
    #define LED_K2 6
    #define LED_K2_B 7
    #define LED_K1 8
    #define LED_K1_B 9
    #define LED_SELECT 22
    #define LED_SELECT_B 23
    #define LED_HOME 20
    #define LED_HOME_B 21
    #define LED_START 18
    #define LED_START_B 19
    #define LED_COUNT 24

Any help would be appreciated

20160826_191926_zpslem1b5me.jpg

20160826_191904_zpsdkd1bsat.jpg

20160826_191845_zpsqcx5mhra.jpg
    igloo77055 wrote: »
    snip
    I am actually looking into this, all you need are INDEXABLE LEDs so start from there.
    zozur wrote: »
    snip

I think we could setup a standard troubleshooting format, but for now please send over the order in which your leds are connected starting from the Kaimana. eg

Kaimana ->K1->K2 ect...

This and the Joystick LED only needs the value already defined in the default code brightstick generates.

I mod so you can play!
  • igloo77055igloo77055 Joined: Posts: 36
    igloo77055 wrote: »
    snip
    I am actually looking into this, all you need are INDEXABLE LEDs so start from there.
    zozur wrote: »
    snip
    Thanks for the response, this led me to some LEDs online: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12025 but at $20 for 1 meter it doesn't seem too worthwhile.
    Maybe when prices go down, or if there's a smaller lenght. For now 1m seems to be the smallest, of course you could cut it, but you'd have to solder the wires onto the two other ends.
    Should also note, that it also includes two additional wires not on the JST connector for power, so this may not even work for our application :/
    Grabbing some plain LEDs seems like a more viable option

• zozurzozur Joined: Posts: 12
    I finally found my mistake , the joystick only uses a LED, so it is only LED_JOY 0 , do not know why I thought it had to be used as 2 leds if it is one.

This is my diagram. yours may vary depending on where you start . I hope this helps you. =)

20160827_174923_zpstgnfvmv8.jpg
    That looks pretty fantastic
  • DJ DivineDJ Divine Cream Puff King of Wu-Kang Clan Joined: Posts: 1,003
    hey guys, need some help with the most recent kaimana j2 3" harness. i'm attempting the connection from the very last button on my kaimana mini + j2 (x8) setup, to a neopixel ring (somebody did this and @Jasen Hicks explained in length on how the code should go many many pages ago on this thread, iirc).

however, i have no way of knowing which wire from the harness is data, vcc, or ground. there are 3 wires coming from the 3-pin end and going to the 4-pin end. i need to cut one of the ends and extend the wires to solder to the corresponding solder joints on the neopixel ring. any advice?
    not "devine"
    DJ Divine wrote: »
    hey guys, need some help with the most recent kaimana j2 3" harness. i'm attempting the connection from the very last button on my kaimana mini + j2 (x8) setup, to a neopixel ring (somebody did this and @Jasen Hicks explained in length on how the code should go many many pages ago on this thread, iirc).

however, i have no way of knowing which wire from the harness is data, vcc, or ground. there are 3 wires coming from the 3-pin end and going to the 4-pin end. i need to cut one of the ends and extend the wires to solder to the corresponding solder joints on the neopixel ring. any advice?

Well, I'm not sure on the j2s but on the j1s you have the labels on the pcb din or dout vcc gnd.it should go from a dout out the J to the din on the neo. I have one at home but no time to put something together lol.
    I mod so you can play!
    DJ Divine wrote: »

Grab your multi-meter and probe the pins. You should be able to find 5V and GND very easy, leaving only the DATA OUT line. Here's the datasheet for the WS2812B LED on those J2s:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812B.pdf