Hearthstone - That other, other, other Blizzard game

Comments

• r00ster22r00ster22 Joined: Posts: 3,936
    Bnet Tag for Hearthstone: NvMe#1211

Feel free to add me up.
    Leona Avatar by: Savaii64
    Leona Picture by: .Cobra

"A few people in the scene know how to work on sticks."
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,639
    Went 9-1 in arena today with warrior, which was to be expected when you draft 3 Fiery War Axes and 3 Arcanite Reapers, as well as Ysera. Only loss was to a Hunter that managed to play Starving Buzzard + Snake Trap, and then traded all of his snakes when he played Cult Master. 6 cards drawn over 2 turns hurts.
    Ya I had a 9-1 hunter on a 5-0 pally right now got a sword of justice it's so good in arena

• Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think I went like 5-3 with a warrior deck that had 2 gorehowls, 3 war axes, and 3 reapers. I think my minion draw ended up being pretty bad though. Gorehowl + upgrade = ouch especially in arena

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I feel so left out without a beta key. C'est la vie.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I chose Shaman against all better judgment (over warrior) in arena today. Had some decent picks, but went 0-2.

Then, I won the next 6, ended at 6-2, not quite 7 but close!

Best game was against another shaman, whom I had down to 3 health but was struggling with board control. He dropped a taunt totem, and an earth elemental (7/8 taunt) on the board, with a stormforged commander (+1 +1 all minions) and was ready to take the game back (I had about 18 health).

Topdecked a Fire Elemental (Battlecry: deal 3 damage) and won.

To be fair, I had 9 cards left and 4 that would have won me the game (2 fire elementals, lightning, flame burst) but still it felt good! lol

e$ports
    I think shaman is great in arena the overload cards value is amplified since most won't have constructed level of dealing with them. Fire elemental is soooo good as well usually always a 3 hp to take out.

Shaman is nice in arena, but it's not quite the slam dunk of playing Paladin, Warrior or Mage in arena. Shamans have the following good class cards:

Doomhammer
    Earth Elemental
    Feral Spirit
    Lightning Storm
    Stormforged Axe (common)
    Fire Elemental (common)
    Flametongue Totem (common)
    Hex (common)
    Rockbiter Weapon (common) (DON'T FUCKING SWING THAT SHIT INTO THE OPPOSING HERO ON TURN ONE, I SWEAR TO GOD)

The thing that sucks about the class is that so many of the cards that you really, really need for arena are rares or epics, while with the classes mentioned above, their power cards are mostly class commons.
    I seem to mostly get 9's when I play Priest i feel they are the strongest its like pick 2+ MC's get to 8 win. Everything else is just a bonus nova shadow words w/e.

• kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,718
    Priests are starting to annoy me
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
    I play rush specifically to fuck priests over in constructed. Your MC is so much less valuable when my most expensive card is Argent Commander!

In arena, I just try to avoid playing my biggest creature without having some sort of answer for killing/crippling it in my hand/on the board. I also feel like priests do especially well in arena if you can draft some cards with big health pools and get a couple of Power Word: Shields.
    Went 1-3 with a priest. Bad luck on the offers... like, I got 2 northshire clerics early, thought I'd have a good draft. Then 1 shadow word, no mc, 1 holy nova, and a bunch of underpowered minions. I was sad.

my first 2 losses were with the opponent at 1 life, and me just not having any way to close out the game. Sigh.

Priests I feel are very reliant on certain cards showing up.

I prefer mages or warriors, if possible

e$ports
    edited November 2013
    The biggest problem with priests is that MC is just too powerful, it always trades 2 for 1. Two good suggestions I've seen for it

1) Make it a buff on the creature, so a silence takes it away.

2) Make it a "Channeled" spell like in world of warcraft. This could be a new mechanic that lasts until the caster plays another spell, then the buff is removed. This would create a whole new subclass of cards that could be more powerful but also more limited (like a mage spell: Channel target is frozen)

Also, priest being so dominant is the reason people don't tend to play creatures stronger than a 4 attack, and why Argent Commander is all the rage lately

edit: I learned something fun today

I had a lightspawn at 5/5, and played blessed champion on it (I mind visioned it from the paladin). It stayed at 5/5. The next turn, he played humility on it... and it stayed 5/5. Good times lol
    Post edited by Pimp Willy on

e$ports
    edited November 2013
    MC is already getting nerfed it will be 10 mana to cast now. They don't seem to be touching mage though...

Argent is pretty much a guaranteed 2 for 1 if priest is strong or not the card is just amazing.

• BigMovementBigMovement Joined: Posts: 170
    So I drafted a priest deck got double divine spirit/inner fire and hit a guy for 20 on round 6 to win the game and get my first 9th arena win. Feels good man. Feels real good.
    So, patch came out yesterday.

New ranking matches are much better than the old, where 3 star masters was easy. Now once you hit a certain rank (20), you can lose rank and drop back down. This makes ranked mode much more intense. I'm still in the "fairly easy to win" rank at 17, but just started to encounter some decks where I might lose every so often. I think I bumped up past the just started, first time playing constructed, and the "I haven't spent any money" yet. I bought like 30 packs, so I have an edge.

Mage is pretty dominant right now. I'd play one, but I don't have the 2x Pyroblast 2x Blizzard necessary to do so. I'm playing my Paladin deck. I only have 1 sword of justice. I have enough dust to craft an epic... torn on if I should craft the second Sword of Justice for my paladin deck to grind ranks, or make my first Pyroblast to start off the mage deck. I feel like Pyroblast will be nerfed next patch to 10 mana, so maybe craft it now then DE it later when it gets changed for full mana.

Big changes to some of the staple cards, Shattered Sun Cleric dropped to a 3/2 but the +1/+1 bonus stayed the same, only this is now that the SSC can be cleared by some otherwise "Dead weight" cards, like 1 drop 2/1s and stuff like Gnomish Inventor, also board clears (holy nova, consecration blizzard). The bigger change is Argent Commander, dropped from 4/3 to 4/2, making him dead to the same aoe clears. He's still really strong... but it may be time to look at some of the other 6 drop creatures to find something else playable. He's not just a brain dead decision anymore.

Biggest change of all was unleash the hounds. Before: All your beats gain +1 attack and charge for 1 mana. Afterwards: 4 mana: Summon a 1/1 wolf with charge for each creature your opponent has. What does this mean? Well it still can combo with other staple hunter cards (buzzard lets your draw 1 card per wolf summoned, scavenging hyena lets you gain +2/+1 as you charge your wolves into your opponents enemies, timber wolf gives them +1 attack, etc). But stalling for the turn 7 one turn kill is not really possible anymore. Be careful flooding the board with creatures vs Hunter now. It can make for some fun combos, but I think it took the one real check mages had out of the game.

Some people are saying warrior and paladin are going to be the mage counters, we shall see. I wanted to toy with a warrior stall deck, full of weapons for direct damage + armor up abilities to survive (armorsmith, shield block), and just using charge setups (like 0 cost molten giant, panda, charger, etc) to close out the game right before the mage can win. Problem is it is probably weak versus everything else!

e$ports
    Mage does annoy the shit out of me whenever I'm not playing pally. They send their creatures to your face, so you do efficient trade to gain board control, but after 7 turns of that mess you're down to 16-18 life. Mage does a random combination of frostbolts and fireballs on turn 7, then pyroblast on turn 8 to close it out. So frustrating.
    Pretty decent pack

9xiqBRN.jpg

was my second gorehowl though

e$ports
  • ETEP1ETEP1 From The Bay to LA Joined: Posts: 1,515
    Awesome! A hearthstone forum! Been on the beta for a good while now. Please hit me up and add me!

name: sss
    San Francisco 49ers fan---Washington Redskins fan---Miami Dolphins fan
    Warriors fan---Celtics fan

Fighting games make me happy
  • KowtowRobinsonKowtowRobinson TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW! Joined: Posts: 6,436
    edited December 2013
    I just recently got into the beta, it's my first card game though. I doubt I have the cards to play any of you guys yet lol.

Playing Mage first of course, not sure if I'm sticking with her or not, but what should my deck eventually look like? I don't even have Pyroblast yet, been getting a lot of mileage out of creep control like Frost Nova and Flamestrike though.
    Frost Nova kind of blows dick, IMO. The only time that it's okay is when you have enough damage on the board to win the next turn, but only if your opponent doesn't trade with your guys. Even then, most decks just don't have the room to play it, and would rather play either Cone of Cold or Blizzard, or in rare cases Ice Lance.
    Lol sick pack pimp. My best was getting 2 packs for 9 and getting Alextrassa and then Yesera in the next.

ETEP1 wrote: »
    Awesome! A hearthstone forum! Been on the beta for a good while now. Please hit me up and add me!

name: sss

You need your 4 digit number code too, in order to add people
    I just recently got into the beta, it's my first card game though. I doubt I have the cards to play any of you guys yet lol.

Playing Mage first of course, not sure if I'm sticking with her or not, but what should my deck eventually look like? I don't even have Pyroblast yet, been getting a lot of mileage out of creep control like Frost Nova and Flamestrike though.

Depends on what sort of mage you really want to play, the current popular deck is like this
    2x mana worm
    2x Novice engineer
    2x Loot Hoarder
    2x Arcane Intellect
    2x cone of cold
    2x frost bolt
    2x ice lance
    2x fireball
    2x pyroblast
    2x Frost Nova
    2x Blizzard
    2x Ice Block
    2x Ice Barrier
    2x Polymorph
    1x Alextria
    1x Archmage Antonidas

Basically, you stall out the game until turn 7/8, dealing damage directly to the hero when you can and freezing their minions every turn (cone of cold, blizzard, frost nova)

there are variations on this, some run Molten Giant (8/8 for 20 mana, costs 1 less for each damage you've taken) and Mountain Giant (8/8 costs 1 less for each card in your hand) instead of some of the control cards (ice lance and polymorph), and aim to hold as many cards in your hand as you can and then drop the giants to end the game. Alextrasza sets a heros health to 15, so they can set your health to 15 then pyroblast/fireball you to death easy.

the mage has lots of tweaks, but its current strength is keeping you frozen for 4-5 turns straight, and then just unleashing a fury of spells and kill you very fast.

Budget decks won't have pyroblast, or the legendaries, so they tend to have to use the common cards like Flamestrike and Polymorph while ending the game with some big creatures. But what really makes mage powerful are the epics and legendaries.

theres a good overview here http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2013/12/10/frost-mage-deck-list-and-analysis/

Cryoh wrote: »
    Frost Nova kind of blows dick, IMO. The only time that it's okay is when you have enough damage on the board to win the next turn, but only if your opponent doesn't trade with your guys. Even then, most decks just don't have the room to play it, and would rather play either Cone of Cold or Blizzard, or in rare cases Ice Lance.

I dunno, it's 2 mana that lets you get a free turn basically. You can delay trading for an entire turn, use it to ping creatures for 2 damage instead of 1, buff up your mana worms, etc. Frost Nova is awesome. blizzard, if you play its pretty much your whole turn. Frost Nova lets you play other cards along with it (frost nova -> Arcane Intellect, for example). It has its place. I feel like Cone of cold is better early game, Frost Nova is mid game, and of course Blizzard is late game.

e$ports
    I like frost nova. Like Pimp Willy said its a time warp (free turn).

Also, some advice when drafting in Arena:

Take as many copies of the "best card" as you physically can.

The two times that I've won 9-games with Mage I drafted absurd amounts of Ice barriers (3), board freeze carda (2 Frost Nova + 2 Blizzard), and board wipes (3 flamestrike).

In arena, its all about value, so long as you can get cards that 2 for 1 or better, you're golden.

Also, in frost nova vs blizzard, the important part is the freeze, not the damage, it's why Frost Nova is superior IMO. If I could build 4 frost novas instead of 2 novas 2 blizzards I would.

e$ports
    I don't have a lot of the cards you listed there, can they be gotten for free? I really can't afford to sink money into a card game. =(

Follow up question, who's the most effective free to play character? Since the Mage relies heavily on these legendary cards.......
    I've sunk a total of $10 into this game. Just do daily quests and arena. You don't need to spend a dime. Just play and you'll get your cards.

I don't have a lot of the cards you listed there, can they be gotten for free? I really can't afford to sink money into a card game. =(

Follow up question, who's the most effective free to play character? Since the Mage relies heavily on these legendary cards.......

Priest I think. Most of their good cards are common or basic. You can play strong off the bat.

e$ports
    Hmm, I guess that you all have a point with freeze effects. I'm doing pretty well in my current arena with some janky mage deck. I didn't get offered any Shattered Sun Clerics or Dark Iron Dwarves, but I did get 2 frostbolts, 2 fireballs, 2 flamestrikes, and a frost nova. Even though I like most of the other cards, the surprise frost nova lets a relatively even board get out of control in your favor.
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,718
    Warlock is pretty strong with the common cards too
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
    I used to say that Hunter was the best with basic cards, but post-UtH nerf, I would probably say either Priest or Warlock. Warlock's hero ability lets you get away with playing slightly weaker cards than usual.
    Rogue is pretty cheap. You can play it just fine without the legendary cards which I think just leaves 3 rares. SI agent, Azure Drake, and Defender of Argus.

I think I randomly got Defender of Argus in one of the packs lol. I'm playing Priest and losing to normal level AI Mage, just not clicking with me I guess. He seems super cheap, and then I lose. Lot I still don't understand, given that I've never played a card game before.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,007 mod
    Lol Mind Control nerf. Good Job Blizzard nerfing a meh cards and making it unplayable.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Yeah I was doing good with almost-stock priest cards, but after a couple days playing post-supernerf I've completely abandoned priest. Feels like I can't do anything at all most matches.

A lot of it is the lack of cards and how rare-to-win is the only strat beyond "try to 2 for 1 them and keep your mana curve rolling"

Then there's the flip side where I play against noobs who just got into the beta (like me) but never played magic so they get stomped in like 15 turns.

I've yet to have a close game...
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    I feel bad when I run into the obvious new guys, when you see them do something like turn 1 coin into Ironbeak Owl, when I have nothing on the board, and I'm playing Mage.
    nsc wrote: »
    snip

I think there's a couple of things that MTG players general card game stuff that people new to Hearthstone may not be up to snuff about. I never thought Mind Control was great because it costs 8 mana to MC one thing. The problem with MC (and those effects in general) is that what you'll get when you play its random. So the quality of the MC is always dependent on the quality of the creature you'll steal. I think the card was good at the beginning when an enormous amount of people who didn't know their head from their ass about card games played it. But the more it gets used the more you understand that "oh wait, I'm not gonna play this stupid large creature right into it on turn 16 because he'll probably take it."

Unfortunately video game shit tier mentality doesn't really translate well to card games. Because of that Priest are going to take a hit on a card that, in all honesty, should probably cost 7, not 10. Either way, this game has some really bad system issues that make it stupid random. Drafting is a bloody mess and 3 card hands, only 2 of each makes it a really daffy game in general. Still fun but no way people should take drop a mint on this thing.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

The only thing that they should have done with Mind Control is changed the rarity from basic to rare, so you didn't run across shittons of them in arena. Arena is typically a slower environment, so MC feels more powerful there. Also, I would kill to have some sort of interrupt effect for classes other than Mage.
    MC is still a good deal, it lets you close out games. It forces a 2 for 1, at minimum, that will always be in your favor. They play Rag/Ysera/Giants? steal it. They kill it? Better their guy then yours. Thats 2 cards from them for 1 of yours.

It is so powerful, it is the main reason people won't play anything stronger than argent commander in the current meta (well, the previous one that is, before mages got so powerful).

Priest has shadow word pain and death, so anything not at 4 attack is easy for a priest to deal with. Priest has the 1/3 priestess that lets you draw when a minion is healed, which lets you easily draw early game. Any 1 drop they have is just a free draw for you, as you attack into it and heal. 2 drops are trickier, since they can be 3/2, but that card alone combined with the shadow words make priest really flexible.

then you can get into the tricks that work well at low level, like the 0/5 who always has attack equal to its health, then you play the double health card and suddenly you've got a 10/10 on like turn 3. Not to mention the heal is good at getting more value for your cards, run higher health creatures and keep them healed. Priestess + circle of healing = massive draw. the rank 10 and higher priest decks can DRAW their entire deck by like turn 4 off of basically common cards, I've seen screen shots of it.

Priest is about tempo and control, and I personally like to use something like Ysera to finish up the game.

Priest can't just survive to turn 8 and easy mode to win, though, so it's going to take a bit of a change in their mentality and decks. You can't just rely on mind control anymore, you need your own big threats out around turn 8. But I think they're fine power wise.

e$ports
    The problem with drafting is that every deck needs certain basic things. So when you draft, you are hoping to all that is holy that you'll get the few things your class needs and THEN you hope you open some of the random bombs you need. I'm not saying stuff that is good to have, I'm saying stuff you need. Because you get locked into your deck as soon as you are done, there is very little room to salvage a bad draft halfway through it.

If I could redesign this thing, I would make you pick 45 cards and then build a 30 card deck out of it. As it is you are leaning way too hard on the hoping that those card packs will get you what you need. This way you'd get some additional picks to makes things less random as well as letting you build out of it. Too much of a hudge pudge right now.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho: