Delete please

necrotic_turtlenecrotic_turtle Joined: Posts: 26
edited November 2016 in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
deleted
Post edited by necrotic_turtle on

Comments

• tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,693
    edited November 2013
    1. Man up and pick 1 or 2 characters you really want to play.
    2. Watch videos of better players and do what they do.
    3. Study how the game system works. Do your research.
    4. Tekkenzaibatsu.com
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    Go play Smash Bros.
    STOMP!
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    edited November 2013
    Well, the nuggets of truth are found right in your post.

> You can't get into most of the characters.

Well, as long as you can get into at least two characters, you have a team that you can play the game with. They'll likely be the only characters you'll ever need, by the way.

> Haven't played online in ages.

Getting down on losing at something you haven't done in a while isn't too smart, right? What this means is you have to keep at it. 2000 fights is still a lot, but Tekken is ALL about experience and time. Very difficult to shortcut this, no matter how benevolent your intentions are as a player.

> Not knowing what to practice has never helped.
    > I perfer to learn by playing instead of practicing, which leads to losing.
    > I don't learn from losing.

So this is just another problem that kinda solves itself. You want to learn by playing, but because you don't know much right now, you lose and you claim you don't learn from losing. To be honest, I'd venture to say that you'd learn even less from winning! Since preference is the word you used to describe how you learn, I would say you should bite the bullet and find out what you need to practice in training mode regardless of how you feel about it. We have a FAQ thread here where you can ask questions, but believe me the "what to practice" question you'll find answered in there several times over.

> Can't create lengthy combos.

Technically, you don't have to create combos for this game--it's been done for you. All you have to do is emulate those attacks and incorporate those combos into your play until you're good enough to make your own. Unless you mean you can't perform combos, which just means you have yet another reason to hit training mode.

All in all, I'd say if you read this post out loud in a room by yourself, you'd see the circles going on in the logic here. I understand this game is frustrating, but if you're getting frustrated, at least get frustrated because you're doing the right things and not seeing results. If you're making poor out-of-match decisions and getting frustrated, then you really only have yourself to blame. Fix your issues and then see if revisiting the game doesn't put some things in a new light (assuredly, they will be in a new light). And maybe fighters aren't for you. They're certainly not for everyone. You should examine the situation from a position of strength though, instead of convincing yourself that they're not for you despite not training for them properly at all. If you remedy these things and then decide they still aren't for you, you can sleep well at night knowing that these games are indeed not for you without having overlooked the possibility that they could have been for you had you approached them differently.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • necrotic_turtlenecrotic_turtle Joined: Posts: 26
    tataki wrote: »
    4. Tekkenzaibatsu.com

1. I have done this. I only play 2 characters and ocassionally do pick other sets of 2 to just jam with (often goes better than I thought it would)
    2. If someone could explain what's going on in them, maybe I could. As it is if I see something cool, I'll try and copy it or ask the player how they did it (learnt some new things that way) or we even end up sessioning in a training session
    3. You mean frame data, crushes etc.?
    4. ...
    Yannick wrote: »
    Well, the nuggets of truth are found right in your post.

Well, as long as you can get into at least two characters, you have a team that you can play the game with. They'll likely be the only characters you'll ever need, by the way.

Getting down on losing at something you haven't done in a while isn't too smart, right? What this means is you have to keep at it. 2000 fights is still a lot, but Tekken is ALL about experience and time. Very difficult to shortcut this, no matter how benevolent your intentions are as a player.

So this is just another problem that kinda solves itself. You want to learn by playing, but because you don't know much right now, you lose and you claim you don't learn from losing. To be honest, I'd venture to say that you'd learn even less from winning! Since preference is the word you used to describe how you learn, I would say you should bite the bullet and find out what you need to practice in training mode regardless of how you feel about it. We have a FAQ thread here where you can ask questions, but believe me the "what to practice" question you'll find answered in there several times over.

Technically, you don't have to create combos for this game--it's been done for you. All you have to do is emulate those attacks and incorporate those combos into your play until you're good enough to make your own. Unless you mean you can't perform combos, which just means you have yet another reason to hit training mode.

All in all, I'd say if you read this post out loud in a room by yourself, you'd see the circles going on in the logic here. I understand this game is frustrating, but if you're getting frustrated, at least get frustrated because you're doing the right things and not seeing results. If you're making poor out-of-match decisions and getting frustrated, then you really only have yourself to blame. Fix your issues and then see if revisiting the game doesn't put some things in a new light (assuredly, they will be in a new light). And maybe fighters aren't for you. They're certainly not for everyone. You should examine the situation from a position of strength though, instead of convincing yourself that they're not for you despite not training for them properly at all. If you remedy these things and then decide they still aren't for you, you can sleep well at night knowing that these games are indeed not for you without having overlooked the possibility that they could have been for you had you approached them differently.

Let me explain a bit more (I wrote the text in that original post on the back of a not so successful session)

I have. I have 2 mains that I almost always use and I'm a lot better with those two than any other characters.

True. I accept that having not played in a while that would happen, just rather disheartening

I've been in practice mode with Hit Analysis on to try and learn buffering and button timing for chain throws (and I do know one now which is progress). I've also been through it with my mains just to at least learn some moves and some new tag assault combos which I now do use (which require a bit of tag combo play before binding). I never know what to do with the filler when it's one of my mains. I did come up with a long combo to bind, but have never used it in actual fight context

My second point doesn't even make any sense reading it back! I prefer to learn through playing online is what I wanted to say. However, doing it that way leads to more losing than I'd like. Don't get me wrong I can and do win fights, sometimes convincingly so, other times it's very closely fought and we're going at it.

I guess the third one wouldn't be entirely accurate. It feels like I don't learn from losing would probably be more accurate, because I lose a lot. But if I am to face the same person in a short space of time online having lost the first time, I tend to win the second time round. So I guess I do learn, but not enough to get the win rate up.

All in all, I'd say if you read this post out loud in a room by yourself, you'd see the circles going on in the logic here. I understand this game is frustrating, but if you're getting frustrated, at least get frustrated because you're doing the right things and not seeing results. If you're making poor out-of-match decisions and getting frustrated, then you really only have yourself to blame. Fix your issues and then see if revisiting the game doesn't put some things in a new light (assuredly, they will be in a new light). And maybe fighters aren't for you. They're certainly not for everyone. You should examine the situation from a position of strength though, instead of convincing yourself that they're not for you despite not training for them properly at all. If you remedy these things and then decide they still aren't for you, you can sleep well at night knowing that these games are indeed not for you without having overlooked the possibility that they could have been for you had you approached them differently

I can do combos using the two of my characters together as my play revolves around binds (whether or not that's good or bad). My solo play with one of my mains is a lot better than with the other, but I see people online do stuff I'd never even thought off which gives me that 'I'd never thought of that' moment and their combos look pretty good and are quite lengthy and damaging
    Then go play another game.

I like Tekken, so I keep coming back. Just need to know what I have to do to get the win rate up :D
  • CarmenCarmen 三十六計,走為上策 Joined: Posts: 684
    Hey fighting games aren't for everyone. And Tekken is one of the hardest fighting games out there. I started way back in BR and it took like almost a year before I could say I could beat people who weren't flat out mashing.
    "老外的LEI很烦人"
    "yea get rid of that tekken three habit of using lei"

"还是换人吧"

"你心中怨念深重,怒火冲天门。导致你铁拳技能急速下降"

edited November 2013
    I started with 3, owned Advance, played Tag Tournament quite regularly, came back with Tag 2 and lost the will to live

EDIT: Just lost a couple more fights. Reason: Unknown
  • CoffeejuiceCoffeejuice Joined: Posts: 401
    you should find some friends to play offline with. playing solo online can get frustrating. its hard to learn matchups when youre fighting a different character with a different playstyle every round. not to mention the lag spikes. find some buddies, y'all can argue over meta/tech and talk shit. i have more fun talking shit than winning
    Only one of my friends plays fighters and he's Street Fighter mainly. I can destroy him at Tekken, but then he doesn't play it so there's why. He destroys me at Killer Instinct and I'm guessing Street Fighter as well as they're built round the same system. Maybe my first assessment was right, I just suck and was never any good
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,043
    Obviously the amount of time people need to invest into learning the game and their character can vary, but I don't think 538 hours is really all that much.
    Maybe if I uploaded some fight videos (if my capture card works) you guys could help me out, and we have a Fight Lab of sorts
    Obviously the amount of time people need to invest into learning the game and their character can vary, but I don't think 538 hours is really all that much.

Or maybe fighters are too hard for me. I'm going to play something else
  • DashKidDashKid Joined: Posts: 111
    Yeah maybe fighting games aren't for you. It's like telling a basketball player to become a swimmer. It can happen but just won't happen over night. BTW just because you played the game for over 1 year doesn't mean anything, look at the koreans for example. Some of them have been playing tekken for over 5 years and they are still learning new stuff every time they play. Also, there are plenty of resources out there to learn how to play tekken. And if you don't know how to practice, then ask yourself do I know how the backdash, do I know to how side step correctly, do I know what moves jail and doesn't jail. Etc. I can tell you from experience, even with working over 50 hours a week I spend about 30 mins each night before I go to bed working on movement, breaking grabs, and just studying up on characters I am struggling against.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,043
    Or maybe fighters are too hard for me. I'm going to play something else
    Or maybe they are for you? The point I was making, is that you probably haven't actually invested enough time to find out.

Don't get me wrong though, if you get more pleasure out of other things, then you should do those things instead. But if you truly prefer fighters over all else, and you are just down in the dumps atm because you aren't doing as well as you think you should be doing, you shouldn't give up.

You said you don't really know what to practice, perhaps you should look into your local community and see if any of them play Tekken. I had the same problem, I would read guides and watch tutorials, but none of it would sink in. Then I sought out my local community, and they painted a pretty clear picture of what I needed to work on. There's nothing quite as helpful as getting your ass handed to you and having the person that did it right there to tell you exactly what you did wrong and what you need to work on the most. If you don't have a local fgc, maybe someone on here will go online with you and do the same thing.
  • fizzywoemacfizzywoemac Team Pwendines Joined: Posts: 403
    Only one of my friends plays fighters and he's Street Fighter mainly. I can destroy him at Tekken, but then he doesn't play it so there's why. He destroys me at Killer Instinct and I'm guessing Street Fighter as well as they're built round the same system. Maybe my first assessment was right, I just suck and was never any good

Real talk, if you're straight up not enjoying the fighting games you are playing just stop. Theres no reason to force yourself to play a genre you don't like. That being said just saying you suck and that you're not good is some bull shit.

Going to these forums is a big step in the right direction.
    -If you dont know what to practice, which is key to you becoming good, look up things to practice!!! Look up some of your characters combos and grind them out until you can hit them consistently in training mode, then to where you can hit them in game, and then once you have those start on a new more complicated combo. If you get frustrated with the game go to training mode or just turn the system off.
    -Watch videos of people better than you playing your characters, the internet is ridiculously full of matchvids. Find out what match ups bother you and focus on what you need to do with your characters to overcome these matchups.Look things up on forums to.
    -Be mindful as you are playing. Take note of where you are uncomfortable in matches and where you thrive, and when an opponent hits you take note of why/how he did. You dont even have to immediately correct what got you damaged, just know why you are losing life. Knowledge is seriously power in this regard, once you know where something is coming from you can attempt to figure out how to stop it, this process is part of what makes fighting games so exhilarating.

All this self defeating talk you are giving to yourself is not going to get you anywhere. One of the most important things to do in a fighting game is to INVEST IN LOSS!! You sound frustrated and defeated, which is not where anyone should be. Understand that literally everyone that has ever played a fighting game has been in your position. Ive lost more than quintuple the games youve played total, and there are people who have lost much more than i have. Losing can be very frustrating but it should ultimately being a profitable experience, overcoming a self-defeating attitude is key to getting better and more importantly key for enjoying the game. If you really are not enjoying yourself than don't worry about it, you wouldn't be missing out on life by not playing fighting games. This being said if it is something you genuinely want to pursue and you just feel like "you can't" just know that you absolutely can.
    Counterpicking Sagat with Honda since forever
    edited November 2013

Real talk, if you're straight up not enjoying the fighting games you are playing just stop. Theres no reason to force yourself to play a genre you don't like. That being said just saying you suck and that you're not good is some bull shit.

Going to these forums is a big step in the right direction.
    -If you dont know what to practice, which is key to you becoming good, look up things to practice!!! Look up some of your characters combos and grind them out until you can hit them consistently in training mode, then to where you can hit them in game, and then once you have those start on a new more complicated combo. If you get frustrated with the game go to training mode or just turn the system off.
    -Watch videos of people better than you playing your characters, the internet is ridiculously full of matchvids. Find out what match ups bother you and focus on what you need to do with your characters to overcome these matchups.Look things up on forums to.
    -Be mindful as you are playing. Take note of where you are uncomfortable in matches and where you thrive, and when an opponent hits you take note of why/how he did. You dont even have to immediately correct what got you damaged, just know why you are losing life. Knowledge is seriously power in this regard, once you know where something is coming from you can attempt to figure out how to stop it, this process is part of what makes fighting games so exhilarating.

All this self defeating talk you are giving to yourself is not going to get you anywhere. One of the most important things to do in a fighting game is to INVEST IN LOSS!! You sound frustrated and defeated, which is not where anyone should be. Understand that literally everyone that has ever played a fighting game has been in your position. Ive lost more than quintuple the games youve played total, and there are people who have lost much more than i have. Losing can be very frustrating but it should ultimately being a profitable experience, overcoming a self-defeating attitude is key to getting better and more importantly key for enjoying the game. If you really are not enjoying yourself than don't worry about it, you wouldn't be missing out on life by not playing fighting games. This being said if it is something you genuinely want to pursue and you just feel like "you can't" just know that you absolutely can.

Just being realistic from what I've observed
    EDIT: nvm
    edited November 2013
    EDIT: @Fizzywoemac
    Frustrated, yes. Game is very frustrating. Defeated, kind of.
    But on the positive side, if I go solo Mokujin or solo Bob I do surprisingly well.
    There's a bit of random button pushing with Mokujin because I don't know everyone yet, but it's sort of structured, because I know I want to go high, low, when to go etc, but if he's someone I've vaguely familiar with then I sort of know what I'm doing.
  • splurgendiisplurgendii Every match-up, has a solution! Joined: Posts: 1,221
    There's no shame
    If you're not getting the results you're looking for or more importantly not enjoying yourself playing fighting games then maybe you're right to take a short break.

splurrrr
    "gen" like the character
    Deeeeeeee
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,693
    People will be more inclined to help you if you stop acting so emo and come up with specific problems and questions.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    It seems like every week I alternate between "why am I so shit at fighting games I will never be good I must have some kind of genetic predisposition to suck at them" to "wow I've learned so much since I started playing fighting games woohoo".

If you aren't having fun or at lease sensing progress, take a break. You need to have the fire in your belly to improve or it will all go to waste. When I start questioning things I step back and try to take a look at things, and each time I come back because I want it that bad.

So, I suggest taking a break and thinking on why you want to get better and if you really do want to keep trying. Because if you really want it, you will get hungry and come back again.
    That's the thing, I play another game and end up thinking I want to play Tekken, so I come back and the same thing happens again
    People will be more inclined to help you if you stop acting so emo and come up with specific problems and questions.

Basically how do I stop getting completely destroyed online so I can actually rank up and get a win rate higher than 47%

• Screw_TiersScrew_Tiers Screw_Tires? Screw_Tears? Fuck This Name Joined: Posts: 867
    edited November 2013

Basically how do I stop getting completely destroyed online so I can actually rank up and get a win rate higher than 47%

Ask yourself these questions. Do I understand what these characters are capable of? Can I break grabs easily? Can I see when he/she is going to attack low?
    How good is my spacing? Do I see and use every single opportunity to catch him off guard? How well can I read his tactics and use them against him? How well do I know what my characters are capable of?
    "Farts stink like a motherfucker!"
  • Screw_TiersScrew_Tiers Screw_Tires? Screw_Tears? Fuck This Name Joined: Posts: 867
    Don't play ranked obviously and stop looking at your stats.

Indeed, this is true
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    It's online. Do u have money on the line? Is it a tournament? Nope...online is fun practice against a variety of players. Now getting killed still isn't fun, online or offline, but with all the resources available in the modern age it is so easy to improve. You've played 538 hours...but how have you used those hours? Dilly dallying? Just doing the same stuff over and over? Quality is often more important than quantity and in fighting games that is no different.

Now, finally r fighting games for you? Why are you asking other people? We can't read your mind. It's as simple as this, do you have fun playing? Yes? Then they are for you weather you are awful or a god. No? Then they aren't regardless of your skill level.

blufang wrote: »
    It's online. Do u have money on the line? Is it a tournament? Nope...online is fun practice against a variety of players. Now getting killed still isn't fun, online or offline, but with all the resources available in the modern age it is so easy to improve. You've played 538 hours...but how have you used those hours? Dilly dallying? Just doing the same stuff over and over? Quality is often more important than quantity and in fighting games that is no different.

Now, finally r fighting games for you? Why are you asking other people? We can't read your mind. It's as simple as this, do you have fun playing? Yes? Then they are for you weather you are awful or a god. No? Then they aren't regardless of your skill level.

Doing what I want to do with those 538 hours. Play online for fun (where the fun came from the winning), but somewhere along the line I realised I'm getting nowhere

Ask yourself these questions. Do I understand what these characters are capable of? Can I break grabs easily? Can I see when he/she is going to attack low?
    How good is my spacing? Do I see and use every single opportunity to catch him off guard? How well can I read his tactics and use them against him? How well do I know what my characters are capable of?

Throw breaks: Used to be able to do them fairly good, but I'm out of practice as I haven't played human opponents in a while before I made this thread
    Going low/high. I can do up until 8th dan players. 8th dan and up just seem to be all over the place with their characters fitting that some of the fights I don't input anything (except for quick roll) and get juggled the whole round
  • CarmenCarmen 三十六計,走為上策 Joined: Posts: 684
    Maybe you should post up some videos if you have the potential to. You'll get a lot of critique and pretty harsh criticism from guys like me but it'll help you in the long run (assuming you want to get better). And then you can work on your more apparent problems and start to see progress.
    "老外的LEI很烦人"
    "yea get rid of that tekken three habit of using lei"

"还是换人吧"

"你心中怨念深重,怒火冲天门。导致你铁拳技能急速下降"

• S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,405
    Tekken community easily has the most comprehensive guides available. Hour long vids that honestly they should be charging for. Watch ATP tutorials Watch levelupyourgame vids on different characters they are literally like 5 characters short of having the whole cast done. Punishers BnBs gameplan, everything you need can be found in those vids.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • MissDestroyYouMissDestroyYou Always Training . . Joined: Posts: 107
    Practice makes perfect; so never give up.
    BBCP || Platinum The Trinity / Racheal Alucard
    DOA5LR || Lei-Fang / Pai
    GGAC+R || Jam / May
    MK || Sindel / Jade / Kitana / Mileena / Scorpion
    MvC2 || Storm / Sentinel / Cyclops
    P4A || Yukiko
    SF3S || Chun-Li
    SSF4AE || Rose
    SFV || Chun-Li
    SFxT || Chun-Li / Xiaoyu
    UMvC3 || Spider Man / Storm / Doom
    VF5FS || Pai

PSN: MissDestroyYou

"Power is useless without skill and speed!"
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    "Good morning twitter in life don't be a quitter achieve through the struggle..everyone was a beginner"- Sanford Kelly, 2013.

Remember friend, fighting games are mostly mental, how can you beat someone else if you beat yourself first by saying you can't do it? You just did all the hard work for your opponent. Play, Lose, Learn, Practice, Win, you can do it :).
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

• mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,570
    If you wanna git gud at fighting games, you need 3 things:

1. Time
    2. Time
    3. Humbleness
    4. Ability to count (frame data)
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • Spiral0ArchitectSpiral0Architect Joined: Posts: 603

Fight through it. I started getting much more into UMVC3 last week. My current win rate is something like 6 wins 54 loses. You think I care? Nope. That doesn't mean I don't want to be competitive, I do. These things just take time and practice. In most of those loses I can identify what I did wrong and work through it. That doesn't mean it'll be magically fixed, but it's on the way there.

Try and see what you're doing wrong (maybe watch pro gameplay), and work from there. There is no magical fix. Just hard work and study.
    USFIV: Yun, Vega, Bison :: SFxT: Bison/Chun-Li :: UMvC3: Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye :: TTT2: Dragunov/Leo
  • kazuyafan94kazuyafan94 twitch.tv/kazstein Joined: Posts: 171
    Yeah man you're just gonna have to keep practicing and put a lot of time and commitment to the game, keep watching those tutorial videos and watch tons of good matches. Hey, I've spent almost 3-4 years playing MvC3 just to get where I am at now and to be able to handle things myself. Just because you enjoyed Tekken 3, bought and played Tekken Advanced and played tons of TTT1 doesn't mean you're gonna be good at it when you jump in but it helps you choose who you want to use for your team (unless you're going SOLO) and also that those old Tekken games play differently. So man just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and don't give up, every player has their ups and downs. But if you truly feel that TTT2 isn't your game well try another fighting game. Keep in mind all these good advice people are giving you hear.
    Ult. Marvel vs Capcom 3: Tron Bonne, Vergil, Taskmaster
    Felicia, Frank West, Nova (α)
    TTT2: Bob/Heihachi/Jun, Feng
    Marvel vs Capcom: Rockman/Wolverine
    The fights are getting better now. Thinking more about what's going on on screen and what to do next. Much closer fights and come backs and taking down a few brown rank players (whether or not they were going all out is something I won't know). Now if I can take that to ranked.
  • MikeBreezy92MikeBreezy92 Too Good Joined: Posts: 348
    Stop playing ranked period until you get to a point where you can actually win consistently in like player match or something. Ranked is pretty much a distraction at this point and its really holding you back.
    "JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!"-Kamina
    ^ Yes, don't go to ranked at all yet. Just keep it at Player matches until the end of time. But in all seriousness, just drop the idea of ranked out of your mind and enjoy the
    matches.
  • fizzywoemacfizzywoemac Team Pwendines Joined: Posts: 403
    I would say ranked is not inherently bad but if you find yourself losing ranked and consistently getting frustrated or being thrown off your game just stop. You should not be focused on winning, you should be focused on enjoying yourself and leveling up (regardless of what your W/L says).
    Counterpicking Sagat with Honda since forever
    edited December 2013
    EDIT: deleted
  • |Galen||Galen| In iWS1 I trust! Joined: Posts: 230
    Hey man, what's up? I understand that playing Tekken can be disheartening. If you want I can play you and give you sound advice on what you are doing wrong and how to fix it. I hate for people to come to the franchise and just get frustrated cause they keep getting blown up. Anyway the offer is always there. My PSN is "Galen-SDT" and my XBL is "Galen SDT" feel free to hit me up on either of them. We'll start at the bottom and work our way up in terms of technicality and what not.I'll cover everything I know. From how to walk forward and backwards to Combos to oki to whatever you're going to need to have in your tool bag that you can start practicing on your own and understand exactly what's goin in the game. Good luck and man I hope all goes well.
    edited December 2013
    EDIT Been playing this game with a friend in pair play on ranked with me doing a bit of teaching. He hasn't played any Tekken since 3 and a little of my copy of Tag 2 a year ago and he got surprisingly good! Just letting him pick whoever he wanted at first, and he got decent with Yoshimitsu (not 10th dan play or anything, but he got quite good!)! Managed, in a few hours a 70% win ratio, a few win streaks, couple of characters to 1st Dan and I also taught him a bit about throw breaking, binding, tag combos. Was so much fun, makes me want to play this game again
  • ToryWilliamsToryWilliams Actor/Martial Artist/Writer/Gamer Joined: Posts: 6
    From a personal view, practice does make perfect. The key things to work on in TTT2 is movement, parrying, safe launching, punishing, and blocking. You also have to know when to switch safely. The game gets hard but worth the effort.
    I use Forest/Leo frequently and I climb to Grand Master but then get demoted. Its an ongoing cycle. I feel that I won't switch to other characters til I get my favs to Vanquisher. Dedication and patience will reward you. Learn every thing about your character and about your most hated to fight against. Knowing when to use something will step your r game up a lot.
    Fair, but I don't play this game anymore (or quite rarely) tbh
    4. Tekkenzaibatsu.com

1. Bored of Alisa + Bob all the time and going nowhere fast. I've reached 10th a couple of times, but no further. Maybe in a year's time I'll make 11th.
    2. No. That's boring
    3. Again, no. Never had to study any game that I've deemed worth playing to get somewhere with it/beat it
    4. Been there

If I hadn't bought this in 2012, I don't think I'd be missing it. Maybe I should have left fighting games well alone, starting to get kind of bored now to be fair. I'll still play a bit, but after roughly 650+ hours I'm not holding out too much hope of getting past 10th. Could still happen though

/necropost
  • financialwarfinancialwar Joined: Posts: 96
    edited February 2015
    Why would you want to "get good" at a fight game?

You play games for fun, not to become good. If becoming good is your goal, then you have a pretty misdirected up goal.

If a game is no longer fun, then you should abandon that game immediately.

The fact that there are so many mentions of hours played, meaning that you are committing the fallacy of Sunk Cost and that you are violating the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility if you still play a game that is no longer fun for you.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,711
    Why would you want to "get good" at a fight game?

You play games for fun, not to become good. If becoming good is your goal, then you have a pretty misdirected up goal.

If a game is no longer fun, then you should abandon that game immediately.

The fact that there are so many mentions of hours played, meaning that you are committing the fallacy of Sunk Cost and that you are violating the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility if you still play a game that is no longer fun for you.

You ever stop to consider that maybe just maybe. Not everyone shares your idea of fun? Maybe for some people the fun comes from mastering a fighting game and getting better and better at it by facing strong opponent's in matches that go down to the last pixel of health? Because that's fun for me.
  • TwilightZoneTwilightZone Joined: Posts: 16
    Honestly, I can relate. I've never been too good at fighting games and have many times thought that they, in your words, "weren't for me".

I have many times over the years tried to 'get good' and when I finally felt I'd started to get into things and could take it online, I'd get crushed by people who would spam moves that I felt were cheap and that I simply couldn't respond to properly.

Thing is, I've always enjoyed fighting games. When I was 3, I remember playing Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II turbo. I'd mash buttons, had no idea what I was actually doing (although I made a point of learning to all the fatalities and how to turn on blood moves). Probably had the most fun I'd ever had in any game.

Played all the games I could find: sf, kof, samurai shodown, tekken, virtua fighter, dead or alive, mortal kombat, MvC and any other obscure game I could find.

Always tried to beat my friends and for years thought I was great at fighting games because nobody I knew could beat me. Then I finally got internet and played online...

Obviously self confidence was shattered and for years I just played offline modes because it was the only way to feel good again.

At this stage in my life, I'm still not good. Even after pouring thousands of hours into training mode but I've let go of that negativity.

Fighting games are great fun, even if you get stomped on if you just give up with the quest for greatness. I'm sure you'll get a lot better if you just relax, stop with the self deprecation and just have fun in whatever way you can while playing.

If you don't find it fun, then honestly, it would make more sense to do something you enjoy with your spare time. Life is short, have fun and stop worrying.
    Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere—you only have to look to see it - Bob Ross.