Marvel's Netflix Universe: Iron Fist is...NOW PLAYING

Comments

• Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    After Cotton Mouth I lost all interest. Lol
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does the second half of the season get THAT much better?

I just finished it and no, Scott Buck fucked it all up. It is clear he just Zack Snydered it and knows nothing about the character.
    They basically made him into shitty batman, they stripped Danny of all of his charm and just made him brooding. There is also way to much soap opera bullshit, it was one step away from Days of Our Lives. Danny got some bullshit no kill code that he never has had and tried to add way too much emotional bs that shouldn't be There. There is also very very little fighting and the show assumes every character is as dumb and naive as possible.

I personally didn't watch the last few seasons of Dexter but the complaints people had to that apply here, he fucked up Ironfist hard.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,624
    jae hoon wrote: »

I just finished it and no, Scott Buck fucked it all up. It is clear he just Zack Snydered it and knows nothing about the character.
    They basically made him into shitty batman, they stripped Danny of all of his charm and just made him brooding. There is also way to much soap opera bullshit, it was one step away from Days of Our Lives. Danny got some bullshit no kill code that he never has had and tried to add way too much emotional bs that shouldn't be There. There is also very very little fighting and the show assumes every character is as dumb and naive as possible.

I personally didn't watch the last few seasons of Dexter but the complaints people had to that apply here, he fucked up Ironfist hard.
    Danny is too childish and optimistic for brooding. Danny doesn't want to kill because he wants to hold on to his identity as Danny Rand. It's clear it's expected of him to abandon his humanity to fulfill his duty as Iron Fist and that's a major source of internal conflict for him.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Danny is too childish and optimistic for brooding. Danny doesn't want to kill because he wants to hold on to his identity as Danny Rand. It's clear it's expected of him to abandon his humanity to fulfill his duty as Iron Fist and that's a major source of internal conflict for him.

that seems to be a theme among chosen warriors against the hand.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • angelpalmangelpalm Oink oink Joined: Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 18
    Too many directions, none of which were very captivating to me. Couple that with laughably bad fight scenes and yeah, episode 5 was my cut off point. Like I said I might check the rest of it out later but not in a hurry to do that.
    still laughing at that scene with colleen punching the dude in the face after she mounts him with her stick arms. And you can tell she isn't trying to hit his face on purpose and they add the lame cg blood to his face that isn't even moving or showing any other visible signs from impact.
    I legit think their inspiration for these fight scenes was kung fu the legend continues. Dude was david carridining the shit out of these bad guys with his slow wack ass movie wushu.
    Lol but for real I would sniff the girl that played colleen wings butthole @million

Other than that, yeah fuck this shit
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,094
    Looks like I"m missing nothing by skipping the show.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,339 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Its basically the very definition of "aight". Not the shit show I was promised by the supposedly "woke" critics from last week but it's not doing anything spectacular in anyway. I doubt there will be another season of IF and Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon will be handled by the DD/LC/JJ ppl.
    Idk supposedly Buck is doing Defenders as well.
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,094

...welp this run was fun while it lasted.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega

Buck is doing Inhumans not Defenders.
    I hope the show gets another season and have the balls to do K'un Lun. The more Gao I get the better.
    I hope the show gets another season and have the balls to do K'un Lun. The more Gao I get the better.

I think it had more to do with budget and balls :rofl:

The current PM/IF comic is a basically a mix of magic and street shit. Which would be cool to do with what has been established so far
    RockBogart wrote: »

I think it had more to do with budget and balls :rofl:

The current PM/IF comic is a basically a mix of magic and street shit. Which would be cool to do with what has been established so far

def could see that. but i need my jokester danny....dude right now is like a less crazy daredevil atm. even dd show had alot more comedy.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    edited March 18
    Did Rza direct the Game of Death episode?

Edit: He did :rofl:

Yes.
    edited March 18
    But back to what Maxx was saying. Outside of stuff like Ip Man and Into The Badlands, I've grown out of most of the traditional Kung Fu movie shit.

I really like the actor they chose for Thunderer. He was awesome on Banshee.
    But back to what Maxx was saying. Outside of stuff like Ip Man and Into The Badlands, I've grown out of most of the traditional Kung Fu movie shit.

I really like the actor they chose for Thunderer. He was awesome on Banshee.

into the badlands made it more brutal and impactful. i dont feel that in iron fist.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

Yes.

Rza is such a fucking nerd, he couldn't help himself.
    About Gao
    Do they explain why she's running the hand now or did I forget something from DD Season 2?
    About Gao
    Do they explain why she's running the hand now or did I forget something from DD Season 2?
    Bakuto explains that Gao runs her own faction of the Hand that focuses on running a drug operation. Bakuto leads his own sect
    About Gao
    Bakuto explains that Gao runs her own faction of the Hand that focuses on running a drug operation. Bakuto leads his own sect

OH OK Thought that was the case. That's a bit of Hand lore that most ppl dont know.
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 532
    This show isn't as bad as critics say, but it's not good. For those that know more about the character's lore, how was this interpretation of him? Right now he's my least favorite of the Netflix protagonists which I'm pretty sure wasn't the intent of the show
    dn0s wrote: »
    This show isn't as bad as critics say, but it's not good. For those that know more about the character's lore, how was this interpretation of him? Right now he's my least favorite of the Netflix protagonists which I'm pretty sure wasn't the intent of the show

The interpretation of Danny was pretty off.
  • nikeSBstunna89nikeSBstunna89 WOLVES Joined: Posts: 1,483
    ROSARIOOOOOOO
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,155

I've been having a hard time believing this guy's Danny Rand from the moment I saw the trailer. It gets worse as the show goes on.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    edited March 19

I've been having a hard time believing this guy's Danny Rand from the moment I saw the trailer. It gets worse as the show goes on.

I have loved Iron fist since I was a kid so I was really stoked for this, it is a huge letdown. I don't even blame the script, he can clearly do Danny. Just the writing is awful.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,858
    I hope Marvel considers reducing the number of episodes of their series from 13 to 10 or 11.

Most people agree one of the gripes of these series is that after a certain point they begin to drag... changing the episode number they could fix that easily.
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,635
    edited March 19
    I was wrong about my prediction that Scott Buck would drop an absolute turd on us. But this still isn't gold by any stretch of the imagination. Like someone said before, it's the exact definition of "aight".

To those saying "this isn't Danny Rand" or similar, what is it about Danny that was off with this series? Google only seems to rattle off the facts about him; nothing much about his character.
    Post edited by axeman61 on
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    Magegg wrote: »
    I hope Marvel considers reducing the number of episodes of their series from 13 to 10 or 11.

Defenders will be 8 episodes.
    axeman61 wrote: »
    I was wrong about my prediction that Scott Buck would drop an absolute turd on us. But this still isn't gold by any stretch of the imagination. Like someone said before, it's is the exact definition of "aight".

To those saying "this isn't Danny Rand" or similar, what is it about Danny that was off with this series? Google only seems to rattle off the facts about him; nothing much about his character.

Danny is naive but not that that extent, Danny isn't brooding either, he is a smartass always making wise cracks, think class clown. He does have a big heart though and goes out of his way to help people. He also loves to fight.
    edited March 19
    Magegg wrote: »

Defenders will be 8 episodes.
    Yeah. I guess because of the salary for the whole cast.

I hope they consider shorter seasons for the other shows too.

I was wrong about my prediction that Scott Buck would drop an absolute turd on us. But this still isn't gold by any stretch of the imagination. Like someone said before, it's is the exact definition of "aight".

Buck is also in charge of Inhumans. Hope his style fits that show better...
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,635
    edited March 19
    Wait, wait, WAIT. Defenders is just 8 episodes? What the hell, man? That's the ONE series I would expect to have a longer season, because you have 4 heroes teaming up. You'd spend at least an episode or two just detailing how they all got together. It should at least be 10. This is starting to confuse me. What inspired them to do this?

And yeah, @jae hoon I would have MUCH preferred the Danny Rand you describe. This dude we got was like the parsley you have on the side of your steak at a restaurant.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    I guess it's because it's gonna be more plot-driven, more action, a big mission or something. Character development would be left for the individual series, this one needs more flashiness.
  • voodazzvoodazz WORST. RACIST. EVER. Joined: Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    4 episodes in... I'm still not feeling it. It has moments, but before it gains any momentum, we're stuck back in a corporate soap opera.
    www.voodazz.com
    "It's okay to lie to women. They're not people like us."
    -Peter Griffin
  • PristineButtonsPristineButtons Joined: Posts: 228
    They should have dropped some dough on Sammo Hung to direct the action. Shit is weak. The shots are all over the place.
    Wait, wait, WAIT. Defenders is just 8 episodes? What the hell, man? That's the ONE series I would expect to have a longer season, because you have 4 heroes teaming up. You'd spend at least an episode or two just detailing how they all got together. It should at least be 10. This is starting to confuse me. What inspired them to do this?

And yeah, @jae hoon I would have MUCH preferred the Danny Rand you describe. This dude we got was like the parsley you have on the side of your steak at a restaurant.

The supporting cast of the individual shows will be appearing on Defenders. Lots of character juggling for just 8 episodes.
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 532
    I have loved Iron fist since I was a kid so I was really stoked for this, it is a huge letdown. I don't even blame the script, he can clearly do Danny. Just the writing is awful.
    I felt that way during the show. Finn didn't appear to be doing a bad acting the job, the character just had nothing that got me to support. Kind of reminded me of the problem I have with Cavill's Superman. Good actor, bad character
    edited March 19
    "growing out of" what does this even mean in this case lol. Just be honest and say the fighting was shit instead of resorting to this nonsense lol, fuck outta here.

edit: unless it means you have grown out of trash ass power rangers/samurai jack/airbender wannabe weeb shows made by white folks. Then by all means :coffee:
  • ThunderClapThunderClap Joined: Posts: 45
    edited March 19
    I am liking the show so far, it's an okay show for time killing. Is his fist supposed to play a big part in his story? Ya know, like DD's blindness, Iron Man's suit.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,155
    I am liking the show so far, it's an okay show for time killing. Is his fist supposed to play a big part in his story? Ya know, like DD's blindness, Iron Man's suit.

His name is Iron Fist, bruh lol

It's a power that's passed down, so it isn't unique to him. It's a relationship kinda like Thor(or I guess Odinson) and Mjolnir. So, yea, it's a big part of him.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • The Invincible SwordsmanThe Invincible Swordsman Only built for SRK Joined: Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Watched it. Thought it was ok. Won't watch it twice like I've watched all the other Netflix MCU series.
    + I thought the fights were alright.
    - we never got to see KunLun and its awesome almost magical atmosphere
    + I like looking at Colleen.
    + I like looking at Joy
    - a little too many cutscenes with the fights
    - The "should I kill or not" theme is getting old and I'm tired of Rosario Dawson being the one to preach it.
    - daddy meacham should not be able to pull himself off that pole that he got impaled on. He's still just a dude. He just dies and becomes reborn. What he did was some superhuman/supernatural shit. He's just an old dude.
    - Reflecting the bullet of his fist was too predictable.

I think one of my big problems was that I wasn't expecting THIS Danny Rand/Iron Fist. I was expecting a different one and the one I got I'm not really a fan of. I'm kinda hoping I get to see the IF I like later but I'm not sure this will go another season.

And we REALLY shouldv gotten to see Kunlun. That's kinda egregious to me. It's too important. We're never really shown who Danny was when he was in Kunlun and why he came back to this dimension or the type of person he became in Kunlun and why (or if) his personality is a deviation from it.

This has been THE INVINCIBLE SWORDSMAN saying:

Needs more worthwhile flashbacks.
    angelpalm wrote: »
    "growing out of" what does this even mean in this case lol. Just be honest and say the fighting was shit instead of resorting to this nonsense lol, fuck outta here.

edit: unless it means you have grown out of trash ass power rangers/samurai jack/airbender wannabe weeb shows made by white folks. Then by all means :coffee:

no the fights arent shit...their just weird. his style doesnt make sense in the world they built for the defenders. if every show had dudes on wires then it would make more sense.

but for example jackson spidell is the stuntman for dd...also caps stuntman. he does acrobatics, and comes from a sport karate background. he can do all the flips without wires and did so in dd.

now david armstrong is dannys stuntman. for w/e reason they chose to use wires to give off that wuxia style. because of the world they built its so out of place. and david can do all those tricks without wires..so its not like they needed it.

growing out also means we arent feeling wuxia style. i dont think i could sit through crouching tiger again, especially knowing as a style of cinema china has evolved into a good mix of hardstyle and soft style with donnie yen and sammo. you got the ip man approach and you got the spl approach.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,781
    Danny ain't about that wuxia anyway.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    edited March 20
    Wasted wrote: »
    Danny ain't about that wuxia anyway.

very true. which is most likely the showrunners fault and less the stunt teams. i know alot of the guys who worked on this show for stunts and they've been doing almost all the marvel tv shows some also work the marvel movies. so its not like its a new squad of people.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog: