So, it seems next KOF is going DOA

MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,001
edited November 2013 in King of Fighters
SNK Playmore had previously announced the next KOF and Samurai Shodown games were going to be 3D graphics with 2D gameplay.

Just check at the game models shown today:

snk-3d.jpg

If Alice is going to be playable, I think it's safe to say this would be more or less a "Maximum Impact 3".

What are your feelings about this?
Post edited by Preppy on

Comments

• Hatred EdgeHatred Edge One Bad Day Joined: Posts: 16,497
    That better be PREDIKTAHBOL TWO EZ Geese Howard on the right.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    Source?

These rumors have been floating around for a year. We're officially getting a new KoF?
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 595
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Who the fuck is the girl on the left?
    And if the man on the left side of Haomaru is suposed to be Terry then L.O.L.

I think that's Nakoruru?
    Also what a waste.
    the traced 3D in KoF XII/XIII looked very good
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,001
    Source?

These rumors have been floating around for a year. We're officially getting a new KoF?

snkplaymore.co.jp/

Yeah, they're developing new KOF and Samurai Shodown fighting games.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i bet tecmo is pissed that nak looks like an exact replica of hitomi from doa. terry and geese look like the same guy but in two different moods. as long as it isn't intended to replace their normal 2D series then it's no big deal i guess. unimpressive designs in this pic either way.
    This message will self-destruct.
    as long as it isn't intended to replace their normal 2D series then it's no big deal i guess.
    Oh, it is.
  • OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,541
    Yeah.....old man Terry..........
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,088
    I thought Samurai Showdown already went 3D.
    edited November 2013
    I thought Samurai Showdown already went 3D.
    It's supposed the next game will return to 2D gameplay...
    It's a pachinko game.

/thread
    No, it is not. They'll be two new fighting games (KOF and Samurai Shodown), 3D graphics, 2D gameplay. They announced they were hiring programmers and graphic designers for that like 4 months ago.
    Gotta say, I'm not happy about this. I like what ASW has done with Xrd, where the models look 2D. I'd be ok with any 2D fighter copying that style. Judging from the pic in the OP, that isn't what is happening.
    edited November 2013
    Gotta say, I'm not happy about this. I like what ASW has done with Xrd, where the models look 2D. I'd be ok with any 2D fighter copying that style. Judging from the pic in the OP, that isn't what is happening.
    You gotta contempt with Xuan Dou Zhi Wang. That's basically a classic KOF game, at least in spirit, but with a good upgrade in the visual style :P

Why are people complaining about renders for a pachislot game that will never leave Japan?

I mean, you wanna see awful, look no further than this
    Still better than the ones in the new announcement D:
    edited November 2013
    Magegg wrote: »
    You gotta contempt with Xuan Dou Zhi Wang. That's basically a classic KOF game, at least in spirit, but with a good upgrade in the visual style :P

I gotta disagree. The animation quality in XDZ Wang looks worse than KOFXIII to me. In fact, I think KOFXIII is a pretty damn good looking game. If they had that same art style, but with the 3D cinematics of Xrd, I'd be so happy.
    I have a feeling the chick on the left is supposed to be Yuri or Athena.......
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    edited November 2013
    It's athena, I'd recognize that hairband anywhere, also, I have zero hope for this art style, this looks horrible and I am scared.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,318
    edited November 2013
    c'mon minimalist SS fighting game~

but seriously, those models look like ones in XDZW. aka bad. hopefully the games look better in motion (more like Xrd plzkthx)
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Maybe Neo Geo Battle Coliseum 2?
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,881
    KoF Maximum Impact 3 is finally here after long anticipation and waiting
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    edited November 2013
    Girl on the right is who exactly? Only blonde girl that immediately comes to mind in KoF is Blue Mary, but that doesn't look like Mary to me.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, didn't see the Fatal Fury text on her cap. Has to be Blue Mary.
    edited November 2013
    owattjacob wrote: »
    That better be PREDIKTAHBOL TWO EZ Geese Howard on the right.

That's Goose Howard, his twin.

Girl on the right is who exactly? Only blonde girl that immediately comes to mind in KoF is Blue Mary, but that doesn't look like Mary to me.
    Judging by her hat, shes B Jenet from Fatal Fury Mark of The Wolves.
    Could be either of them I suppose, as they both got their start in the Fatal Fury universe.
  • MotMMotM Joined: Posts: 856
    edited November 2013
    Okay, the website you linked doesn't say anything about what your pic shows except for that line of text in the pic itself, which google cannot translate, of course. Anybody speak Japanese?

EDIT: Nevermind, if you click on the pic below that just show Terry mad then it gives you more info. Running Wild is right, this looks like like a pachislot game.
  • MeroMero Joined: Posts: 14
    MotM wrote: »
    EDIT: Nevermind, if you click on the pic below that just show Terry mad then it gives you more info. Running Wild is right, this looks like like a pachislot game.

I think that's just a page showing job vacancies at SNKP.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,134 mod
    3D graphics with 2D gameplay.
    If Alice is going to be playable, I think it's safe to say this would be more or less a "Maximum Impact 3".
    Have people forgotten the past few years where we've had 2D games with 3D graphics that played just like 2D games (and not Maximum Impact)?
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,664
    I'm glad they're making a new KoF, i'm glad they are going for 3D, i'm not glad about these models. They look very very generic. Looks like a cheap "knockoff" made by amateurish 3D modellers.
    GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• BoboGloryBoboGlory Joined: Posts: 545
    edited November 2013
    S00perCam wrote: »
    Why would you consider playing anything else.

But we like fighting games
    Post edited by BoboGlory on
  • ZephZeph video games Joined: Posts: 59

Its "Alice," she came to be in a pachinko game as well. http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Alice
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    I was warned this was going to happen.

*Sigh.*
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • SaikyoStyleSaikyoStyle Not Sure Joined: Posts: 1,064
    I don't care unless Rock and Momoko are in it.
    Would also be nice to see Alfred and Rick from RB2 as well as some of the exclusives from the MI series.
    If the next game is going to be a dream match then I want to see more underused characters.
    Move along, Nothing to see here.
  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 218
    edited November 2013
    The models look decent (except Terry but that's because he looks nothing like he's supposed to). SF4's models are nothing special... neither is GGXrd.

Whatever rendering style they're using better change it because those renders look like shit... this is why SF4 and GGXrd looks so much better.
    - The developers are working very hard about how they will represent the 2D image in 3D !!

I hope this means they'll use something closer to a toon shader for the actual games because this is unacceptable.
  • ffffffffffffff Joined: Posts: 155
    - The combos will be easier than the system in XIII to make the game more friendly to players. They are giving consideration to makeing the game's combo more like 98.

Wow, that's awesome. Definitely will improve the overall gameplay and pace if the next KoF plays more like 98 in terms of the combo system.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Doesn't look good. Most 3d doesn't compared to 2d, but even amongst 3d these early screenshots are not impressive.